Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VR is way better than this. Kinda unfair to VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
8: Putts-giving
The Belchers go to a mini golf course on Thanksgiving morning.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
please please please give me Bob getting trapped in a mini windmill and talking to his club or golf balls

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There have been no bad holiday episodes that I can recall, but there have definitely been no bad Thanksgiving episodes, so I'm pretty excited that this one also sounds like it can't miss.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, so a little bit of an out of left field sort of question. In the orchard episode Louise does the doy doy noise to impress everyone. Is this something that kids from a specific region in America do? When I google 'doy doy noise', I only get the streamer Jerma985 doing it, and Louise also explains how to do it the exact same way he does. So is this an inexplicable streamer reference? Streamer in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSXEa6BcdI

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I always thought of it as a variant of duh, didn't think it was limited to the Northeast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I probably said this before some time in the last couple years, but how come this isn’t a joint thread for Bob’s and The Great North? They always air together and are equally good and the same comedic style. Do y’all not watch The Great North? You should!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

I probably said this before some time in the last couple years, but how come this isn’t a joint thread for Bob’s and The Great North? They always air together and are equally good and the same comedic style. Do y’all not watch The Great North? You should!

That show lost me. The characters are just kind of lame.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The last few epsjodes they have gone off the rails and I say that in a good way. The family court episode was great.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
It's always a risk when you make the crux of the humor "aren't these people lame?" It mostly doesn't land for me but some bits do hit, possibly because of the lowered expectations.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Lame people can be funny, it might come down to the general reasons why they are considered lame. I think Tina works pretty well because she has some strange interests and not enough social skills to know when to keep them to herself. Bob has been getting on my nerves lately though. It feels like he has to always make the worst financial decisions possible for the sake of it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Bob only makes bad financial decisions when Linda eggs him on to do it. Linda is the problem.

Tbc: it’s the writers’ fault to write Linda that way.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Bob is afraid of success. I'm pretty sure he's straight up said so more than once.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When you live poor for long enough, every once-in-a-while, you get fed up enough to get a case of the fuckits.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Bob only makes bad financial decisions when Linda eggs him on to do it. Linda is the problem.

Tbc: it’s the writers’ fault to write Linda that way.

Nah, he was the one who turned down a huge check from an old friend who admired him and his burgers and he did that without consulting Linda.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

Nah, he was the one who turned down a huge check from an old friend who admired him and his burgers and he did that without consulting Linda.
When was that? I don't remember that at all.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
His old friend voiced by Chris Parnell showed up, giving Bob 100k. But, also started making changes, like tiki-fying The Restaurant. Which stressed Bob out, because he didn't have control over the one thing he could claim as his own.

Also, Gene pees in a rainboot.

Episode Pro Tiki/Con Tiki

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tikis are lame Bob was right

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I don't mind Great North chat, I'm impressed it's escaped the Fox Cartoon graveyard

9: Show Mama From the Grave
Bob takes Linda and the kids to visit his mother's grave, but finding the headstone is harder than he expected; Teddy makes a grave mistake while doing repairs in the Belcher's house.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The series finale will be the restaurant becoming successful without Bob having to change anything and the family falling apart because capitalism.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll try it out for a week or two and stop if I’m just taking up space

The Great North
309 - Bee’s All That Adventure

Kima and her family host a very surprising visitor during Lone Moose's "lower-48" exchange student week. Ham fails to care for a cactus.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I appreciate posts like that rather a lot.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

live with fruit posted:

The series finale will be the restaurant becoming successful without Bob having to change anything and the family falling apart because capitalism.

I hope so.

My favorite episode is Bob stuck on the toilet. It was nice he had the community gather around him, and him getting national attention. Even if they didn't eat a burger.

Skip believes in Bob.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stuff with Bob's mom always comes across as very melancholy since it is clear that Bob has never quite gotten over her death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/lorenbouchard/status/1597119115780452352

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hopefully whoever voices him will sound better than the Mickey recast.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ballz posted:

Hopefully whoever voices him will sound better than the Mickey recast.

I think the Mickey re-re-cast is fine. Apparently, Loren doing Mickey's voice was a last minute thing. The guy who did his voice in the movie and the redub of that episode is pretty good.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

He doesn't say how! My vote is just as a static character like a standee.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

I think the Mickey re-re-cast is fine. Apparently, Loren doing Mickey's voice was a last minute thing. The guy who did his voice in the movie and the redub of that episode is pretty good.
Could you refresh my memory? Who is Mickey and why were they recast?

Edit: Twice, even, sounds like.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 30, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mickey was a bank robber in a very early episode voiced by Bill Hader who then became a recurring character working at Wonder Wharf. For whatever reason Hader stopped doing the voice and it was a really obvious change plus Loren’s fill-in voice (which as people have said was a last-minute thing) was not great. I can’t remember what the new guy sounds like

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Hader also played Big Bob a few times, though the first time was done by H. Jon Benjamin in a flashback. It was a good version of Big Bob!

The new guy is alright. Not as off as Mickey was. I'm just a little bummed that they can't get Hader anymore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That cemetery ep was really sweet.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
10: The Plight Before Christmas
Bob and Linda try to attend all three kids' holiday performances at the same time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad the show is still on and hasn't slipped in quality too much. I've always viewed this as the perfect "comfort food" show. You know exactly what you're going to get and they never stray from that... but almost to a fault. After all this time I really wish they would have experimented with the formula and changed things up even a little.

For instance, something that has bugged me for a while is how they always stray away from an emotional moment. The most you typically get is a quick "aww". The Simpsons, in it's heyday, was never afraid to go for the emotional gut punch now and then that would genuinely leave you teary-eyed. In the recent cemetery episode, Bob finally confronting his mother's grave was the perfect moment for something like this, but instead he says "hi Mom" and we cut away to a Gene fart joke afterward. Oddly, the only two genuinely emotional moments from the show I can recall from recent memory are both Teddy episodes - the comet one from this season with a surprisingly emotionally charged discussion about life between Bob and Teddy, and I think last season where Bob goes on a road trip with Teddy.

Anyone else dislike any episode where each kid gets an episode act to tell their version of a story and we see their vision animated? The first few were okay, but it seems like they do a handful of these every season and now I find them grating. It's like this is their go-to crutch to change up the formula, but they themselves are formulaic. Gene's segment will be silly, Tina's will be weird, and Louise's will be cool/edgy. These often come off as "monkey cheese" humor to me.

Something else that's been bothering me is how H. Jon Benjamin has morphed Bob's voice over the years. Earlier on it was just HJB's typical voice albeit less angry than say, Coach McGurk or Archer, but gradually he's morphed it into Bob being completely unsure of every single thing he says. So almost any time Bob speaks now it's like every word is recorded individually. "Well... perhaps... maybe... um... we.. could... not... do that." Maybe it fits better with how his character has evolved, but it also gets on my nerves.

Sorry for all the negativity. Show's still good, just wanted to air some grievances lol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

10: The Plight Before Christmas
Bob and Linda try to attend all three kids' holiday performances at the same time.

This airs next week. No episodes this week.

Monkeycheese humour means like an awkward attempt to seem crazy/random, not…..having three different styles in an episode? Sorry I didn’t follow all of that

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Monkeycheese humour means like an awkward attempt to seem crazy/random, not…..having three different styles in an episode? Sorry I didn’t follow all of that

Because that’s kind of exactly what the kids’ stories always are. Like “what if there was a giant robot attacking the school… with robot farts!!!”

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm glad the show is still on and hasn't slipped in quality too much. I've always viewed this as the perfect "comfort food" show. You know exactly what you're going to get and they never stray from that... but almost to a fault. After all this time I really wish they would have experimented with the formula and changed things up even a little.

I do at times wish they'd say...aged up the kids. Even if only a little.
Just give them a bit more room to tell different stories.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well, Louise tells stories based on Mad Max and Game of Thrones, shows she totally doesn't watch or stream over and over with her parents' account.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Taear posted:

I do at times wish they'd say...aged up the kids. Even if only a little.
Just give them a bit more room to tell different stories.
Agreed. I hate that cartoons are stuck in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I was the same age Bart was when the Simpsons launched(I'm an old) and I thought it was super cool how he would grow up at the same rate as me. Now I'm older then Homer and very mad about it.