Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

3: What about Job?
A school assignment about careers sends Louise spiraling, trying to imagine what her future might hold.

my money's on her running a burger joint
Your speculation isn't a spoiler, so I'm not gonna' spoiler my response, but I think so too. Silly to care so much about cartoon people in a funny burger show to the point that I speculate on their futures, but I do.

It's either going to be Louise, who rebels against the restaurant the hardest, but occasionally shows signs of really, deeply giving a poo poo about it and having an aptitude for it, or it's gonna' be all three of them. Louise runs the kitchen and food end, Tina behind the counter and doing the bookkeeping and business parts, and Gene or Gina! Stop queerbaiting us and just let Gene transition, you monsters! doing table service and entertaining guests, making jingles and filming internet ads for the joint.

I love this charming little show so much. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There have been no bad holiday episodes that I can recall, but there have definitely been no bad Thanksgiving episodes, so I'm pretty excited that this one also sounds like it can't miss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When you live poor for long enough, every once-in-a-while, you get fed up enough to get a case of the fuckits.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

Nah, he was the one who turned down a huge check from an old friend who admired him and his burgers and he did that without consulting Linda.
When was that? I don't remember that at all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I appreciate posts like that rather a lot.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

I think the Mickey re-re-cast is fine. Apparently, Loren doing Mickey's voice was a last minute thing. The guy who did his voice in the movie and the redub of that episode is pretty good.
Could you refresh my memory? Who is Mickey and why were they recast?

Edit: Twice, even, sounds like.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 30, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Taear posted:

I do at times wish they'd say...aged up the kids. Even if only a little.
Just give them a bit more room to tell different stories.
Agreed. I hate that cartoons are stuck in time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's just weird that none of them do it. I get that part of the appeal of making a cartoon family show is that you don't have to deal with the kids aging, but like, why hasn't even one show let the kids grow up? Every year, new story possibilities for your writers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zero One posted:

On the other hand, For Better or For Worse did age it's characters and it's terrible.
I've not seen it, but somebody doing something basically never done badly once isn't a great reason to never try again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only animated show where the characters age and change over time in any real way (that I can think of) is Venture Bros.
That's one of my favorite things about it, too.

If they were still gee whiz golly gosh Scooby Quest kids, I'd have likely gotten bored with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Christmas episode yay. Kids doing pageants booo.

We already did this with the Belcher kids once.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's nothing wrong with that framework, but the execution never seems to live up to the conceit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that was a wonderful surprise.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never played the original, but I'll play this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:golfclap:

I never played one second of those games, but since a bunch of Youtube channels I follow were reviewing it, I figured I'd give the pilot a shot and I was blown the gently caress away. That episode alone is probably the best live action anything based off of a videogame that's been made to date.

But your version would've been better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WOOOOOOOOO!

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I find it every bit as delightful today as it was in its first few seasons. Moreso, at times.

I've really never seen anything like it. The Simpsons made it nine years before the wheels fell off and Family Guy was already kind of poo poo by its first revival season, often forgetting that the used to use shock humor as a way of making a good point in favor of just being shocking for shocking's sake, but failing even at that, because punching down isn't shocking. It's default.

That we're thirteen seasons and a movie into this thing and it still makes me laugh out loud even when I'm by myself is a feat, but that its heart has only grown bigger in that time is one of herculean proportions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd put American Dad up against it which has, in many ways, gotten better over its 19(!) seasons and, to my understanding, has at least another 2 seasons on the books*
Ooh! Good to know! I've not followed it since it left Fox.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't feel like you can put that on writers. Writing a movie doesn't take very long. It's everything else that does.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ah. I should've realized.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aww! Good for them. This show about entirely unsuccessful burger joint owners nonetheless makes me dream of having their life. I could be fantasizing about winning the lotto, but no. My brain has decided it wants to have a rad family and run a tiny, failing burger joint in a tourist town.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SOLD.

Gods, I love this show so much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

Him yelling at the bird about not seeing Footloose was pretty great.
I laughed out loud again just reading this post.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm gonna' have to stop posting this and every synopsis, but SOLD.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Out of curiosity, were you ever a really awkward teenage girl?

'Cause this is now one of my favorite episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

I was a wildly awkward teenage boy, but fair point.
Oh, her experience wasn't really tied to gender anyway, now that I've thought about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think that a lot of society woke up to the fact that a father screaming at or in front of their children isn't as funny as it may have seemed to some in the past, and frankly, I appreciate it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I actually really like the way they handled this in the episode where the restaurant catches on fire. Bob wants to yell and is mostly successful at stopping himself, but he's not perfect and he's rightfully in an emotional state.
Agreed. You can yell when people are in danger. Not just when you're pissed at your wife and kids.

And I love Teddy, but I have a soft spot for awkward weirdos.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Counterpoint: H Jon Benjamin yelling is really funny

Also in the earlier seasons they all yell at each other constantly. It fit.
Something being funny isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it, and I like the show a hell of a lot more now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Could you help me with a different example? I carved out a whole exception about it being fine to reach for that joke for a laugh when it's a safety thing or whatever and (which isn't the only instance, mind. Just an obvious one that I'm personally fine with), and I fear I'm losing the point you're making to your example being something I allowed for in the premise and I genuinely want to know what you actually mean.

Incidentally, moving on, sort of, my mom was the one who sucked and my pop picked up all her slack, so I grew up really loving hating how seemingly every father on TV was awful from Homer Simpson until, like, Keith Mars was the combo breaker, but this isn't even really a matter of my personal preferences in comedy so much as I think a lot of people have come around to the fact that men coded as basically harmless screaming at their wife and children in cartoons isn't actually as funny as we as a society used to think it was, and that's why the change happened.

I do like and appreciate that change, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

It's a comedy tv show, so yes it is.

You have numerous personal issues that affect how you view the world and I feel sorry for you, but not everyone has the same hangups or triggers that you do.
Sweet! Good to know since I think it'd be hilarious, I get to kick you in the junk. If you don't like it, stop being triggered, snowflake.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hatty posted:

I think the gift card being mostly empty would be the punchline in an earlier season. The show is slightly less interested in misery these days which isn’t necessarily a bad thing since people like it wholesome going by this thread
Yup. The world got a hell of a lot uglier and now I want my fiction to be less so.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wasn't a fan either. The catharsis in her realizing why she was being so weird about this thing didn't feel earned or poignant enough to justify one of our heroes holding a woman hostage.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'll keep harping on about this until the day they right this wrong, but at this point the "Gene is a girl" jokes have gone from a few times a season to basically every episode and god dammit, let the kid transition or stop joking about it.

And yeah, he's a great character, but the Gene-centric episodes aren't for me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you ever do a re-watch with it in mind, I think you'll see what I mean.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Genderfluid would be fine. And I have some news about what became of a lot of us theater kids. :-P

But the fact that y'all don't read it the way I do doesn't invalidate my reading, nor my desire for them to poo poo or get off the pot about him being trans of some kind or another.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We're not talking about his sexuality. We're talking about his gender. Kids have genders.

But even in the case of sexuality, a broad swath of queer folk figured that poo poo out long before 11. Louise is the youngest and we know she's straight and nobody bats an eye at that. It's not sexualizing a child to portray them as being queer. We're just normal-rear end people, same as you. And it's nice to see ourselves in media when we're growing up, and it rarely ever happens.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

I replied to a post that included this verbatim, so I'm a bit confused at your tone here.

I don't think anyone is even coming at the idea of representation on TV..maybe take a break from this thread

e: assuming myself and the op i was refering to can't differentiate between gender identity and sexual preference is kinda insulting actually the more i think about it. like what are you actually mad at here
My tone was stating facts and attempting to enlighten people who still think being queer is inherently sexual, which is an extremely common and dangerous belief.

My post about wanting them to finally let Gene transition or stop joking about it really doesn't warrant argument or your weird hostility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Monster!