Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this will definitely be the year an Intel gpu isn’t garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i kinda want an arc 7, just because i'm a sucker for weird failed hardware

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Intel Confirms "On Demand" Upgrades With Sapphire Rapids (Software Defined Silicon)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
welcome to where ibm was 20 years ago, i guess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol did they get the idea from tesla?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
intel offered software unlockable pentium branded cpus somewhere in the late 2000s too

they got zero traction and the unlocks were basically impossible to buy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
luv 2 buy dlc to make my processor run good

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
i was expecting 11th gen duldrums with raptor lake, but it actually looks pGood.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Bored Online posted:

intel craptor lake

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did anyone say craptor lake yet

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

from what little is out there it seems like the intel arc GPUs are ok at dx12 but total dogshit at dx9. kind of a wierd way to go, but if they're cheap maybe its competitive for low end rigs

what's 'weird' about catering to the modern way of doing things vs a lovely, old api from 2005?

just use dxvk to wrap old games to use a modern api

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
some of the most popular games in the world (ex csgo) are still dx9. mostly because dx9 runs fine on a huge variety of old GPUs.

intel will probably do driver hacks to fix it for the most popular games, but their drivers are notoriously bad.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

some of the most popular games in the world (ex csgo) are still dx9. mostly because dx9 runs fine on a huge variety of old GPUs.

intel will probably do driver hacks to fix it for the most popular games, but their drivers are notoriously bad.

or just loving use dxvk

jesus christ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

or just loving use dxvk

jesus christ

are you recommending installing linux to play games? if so then lol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dxvk can be used on windows as a wrapper for old directx versions

there is also nothing stopping intel from shipping dxvk if they want to solve the problem for you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

there is also nothing stopping intel from shipping dxvk if they want to solve the problem for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/mlfcsc/a_guide_to_dxvk_on_windows/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

yeah, this looks like a totally reasonable workaround. especially with the big bold disclaimer up front not to use it for multiplayer games (like csgo, for instance)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

are you recommending installing linux to play games? if so then lol

i play games on linux :smugmrgw:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

when you choose to live life as an edge case (playing a game that can't use APIs from the last decade at day zero on the first release of hardware that openly says "we optimized for modern APIs"), then life is going to be more awkward for you than being on the happy path.

the fact there is a clear workaround to the problem before the cards are even widely available shows a path forward

i'm not at all an intel fan, and truly expect the card to fail, but the "herp derp, day one dx9 sucks lol" is just nonsense

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nobody is saying that anyone should buy that card lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

on the one hand yes, otoh the things still very tied to dx9 will not need very high performance (and thus not very complex hacks) to be basically fine.

i am not that convinced the gpu effort will turn out well anyway, but i really don't think what will gently caress it up is really older api (levels) not performing as well as they could. and generally i hope it'll go well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if intel wants to make their hardware work for you, i guess they could do this. but making hardware become basically functional isn’t intels job, stop being lazy you goons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THE THRRAD TITLE TO CRAPTORNLAKE

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i would echi but i dont have my powers outside of my realm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the support

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, which realm is yours?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eurasia thread in cspam. u can click on people's profile now and it tells you where theyre empowered

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thastral

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

eurasia thread in cspam. u can click on people's profile now and it tells you where theyre empowered

huh. that's what i get for never visiting the forums tech forum

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
infernal machines should be a mod

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. absolutely not

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
make every poster who said craptor lake itt mods

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
craptor ik

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

lol. absolutely not

you’d be better than carry on then

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

you’d be better than carry on then

literally anyone would be better than carry on then

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

literally anyone would be better than carry on then

lowtax?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

infernal machines posted:

lol. absolutely not

the dental plan is pretty good actually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh sure, but mods have a reputation around these parts

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

make every poster who said craptor lake itt mods

now we are talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

intel arc: somehow, intel has the same problems with the fist discrete gpu they've launched in 25 years as they had with the last one

tl;dr: performance is all over the place and the drivers are bewilderingly bad

the big difference will be if they bother to keep supporting this thing for a few years or immediately take it behind the woodshed like they did their previous attempts at discrete gpus