Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Gentle Autist posted:

my radeon works fine

omg I am so sorry dude do you have a gofundme or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
brutal

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
have a kid who is really into gaming? show them you don’t love them by buying them an Intel Arc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
now, jimmy, i know this isn't the nvidia one you wanted, but the man at best buy said this one is just as good

mystes
May 31, 2006

mom: we have a video card at home

the video card at home: 💩

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

have a kid who is really into gaming? show them you don’t love them by buying them an Intel Arc

lol

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it truly has been Intel’s arc. from disruptor to juggernaut to completely irrelevant. Intel is to modern computing what doki doki panic is to Mario Odyssey

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

intel arc can briefly serve as a boat. or is that intel ark?

mystes
May 31, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

it truly has been Intel’s arc. from disruptor to juggernaut to completely irrelevant. Intel is to modern computing what doki doki panic is to Mario Odyssey
I think for intel employees it's probably more like "constant lowkey panic"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWw6q6fRnnI
lmao that's a hot chip

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
intel i9 sucked me off ???

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

intel i9 sucked me off ???

it certainly sucks all the power from the grid

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"when we called it Hot Chips we didn't mean that as a suggestion"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yowza

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

incel craptor bake

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

real brute force approach on these. but with both the arc gpus and raptor lake it is some actual good boomer energy to just price your stuff according to how well it works.

which tells me that intel is probably genuinely doomed, that's not how you run a tech company. especially not now, but kind of also not ever.

e: for those not following the intel stuff is mostly a hair faster than the amd offerings, running red hot, but is actually a fair bit cheaper.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's funny is that amd will probably respond with 3d cache versions of the 7000 series and immediately leapfrog Intel again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

real brute force approach on these. but with both the arc gpus and raptor lake it is some actual good boomer energy to just price your stuff according to how well it works.

which tells me that intel is probably genuinely doomed, that's not how you run a tech company. especially not now, but kind of also not ever.

e: for those not following the intel stuff is mostly a hair faster than the amd offerings, running red hot, but is actually a fair bit cheaper.

they trade back and forth depending on the benchmark, but somehow intel manages to take 50%+ more current to do it, despite going apeshit with "efficiency" cores

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Hot Chips
A person who remains laid back, fun loving, and doesn't take themselves too serious. They usually hang loose and never get upset. And love hot tortilla chips after the game
Deanna: Man, Brendan was such a dick at volleyball today.

John: yeah I wish he was more like mark and Zak. They are so hot chips
by Two guys? September 15, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

they trade back and forth depending on the benchmark, but somehow intel manages to take 50%+ more current to do it, despite going apeshit with "efficiency" cores

yeah, because their fab process is garbage. what makes it interesting is how they price it considering, bang for buck kind of thing.

and that means generally that if the next intel process is garbage they're sunk, while if it is competitive they can keep this effective dumping up and amd will have a bit of a struggle.

at any rate good times for consumers, no way these are the prices intel *wanted* for these things

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dump your hot chip load onto me daddy intel :gizz:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

incel craptor bake

lol

maybe powering a truck with 17 wankel engines isn’t a good idea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:intel:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new Ryzen stuff is basically designed to boost until it hits 90C and stays there, and yet it still uses less power

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The new Ryzen stuff is basically designed to boost until it hits 90C and stays there, and yet it still uses less power

that's been true for everything for well over a decade though, run as hard as possible until you hit just short of where the hardware starts to melt, then back off only as needed.

only weirdo nerds on the internet ever tried to cool stuff below its designed temperature limit.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
dang, maybe i'm being too conservative by throttling things down until they're at least under 70ºC

is there even any need for software-defined thermal control anymore or is it all handled in hardware/firmware?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

maybe powering a truck with 17 wankel engines isn’t a good idea

pshaw. it's the greatest engine ever devised, clearly adding more of them will only improve things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

psiox posted:

dang, maybe i'm being too conservative by throttling things down until they're at least under 70ºC

is there even any need for software-defined thermal control anymore or is it all handled in hardware/firmware?

unless you have an apple, you can safely assume that whoever built your computer knows more about its cooling and thermal characteristics than you do

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that's been true for everything for well over a decade though, run as hard as possible until you hit just short of where the hardware starts to melt, then back off only as needed.

only weirdo nerds on the internet ever tried to cool stuff below its designed temperature limit.
I don't think the previous Ryzen gens were straight up designed to run at 90C continuously even with water cooling.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the "more cores" cartoon but w/ intel going "MORE WATTS :pseudo:"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thank the lord someone finally said craptor lake

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

turns out turning 16 weenie cores up to 11 isn’t necessarily power efficient just because there weenie cores

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao weenie

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

dump your hot chip load onto me daddy intel :gizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hay61hokkhc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

turns out turning 16 weenie cores up to 11 isn’t necessarily power efficient just because there weenie cores

yeah. and at that point, why not just make them all performance cores and be done with it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also they should make the whole plane out of black box!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

amd did it

presumably there will be a xeon that is like that come christmas

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

amd did it

presumably there will be a xeon that is like that come christmas

intel has a garbage fab process though, the efficiency cores and pushing the thermal envelope (and pricing) is the thing keeping them in the game. going all p-cores or at all imitating amd would make for a ridiculously slow thing as it immediately hits a thermal wall.

if we imagine intel building these things on a good process quite possibly they should look very different, but thinking the efficiency cores are a failure because the chip (optimized for pure performance) is hot is backwards.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

if i'm got to use my computer to run VMs later i don't want to deal with cpu pinning or whatever workaround these weenie cores need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=todoXi1Y-PI
the i5 is looking much more reasonable, shockingly