Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chris Sabat as Vim, huh. And Miorine is Natalie Van Sistine.

Here's loving hoping Sunrise continues to insist on union dubs. The fewer people playing by Crunchyroll's monopoly garbage the better.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like if anyone has the power to twist even Crunchy's arm into it, it would be Sunrise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dub Yor? Huh. That's a bit deep for Mio

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gabe Kunda is Delling! I knew I was forgetting someone that voice could be! I was right about Prospera, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont have anything against the fumigation voice actors stable but I was kinda hoping for another crew to do the work because I like variety.

I'm keeping that autocorrect in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, technically this is variety for Gundam. It's the first Gundam dub produced in Texas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, technically this is variety for Gundam. It's the first Gundam dub produced in Texas.

Technically correct but Texas has just got the sheer volume of work that the novelty wears off.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Prospera having the same VA as Midnight definitely checks out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So it turns out that the voice acting for Gundam Evolution was also done in Texas and it has a couple people from this dub!

Chuchu is voice C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgtONUROfw&t=249s

And Elan is voice L

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgtONUROfw&t=1442s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh god Elan is Shirogane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like honestly, Brittney takes that Pilot C and adds a bit of Angry to it and that's a Chuchu right there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh god Elan is Shirogane.

Love is war.

I mean, you have to admit that the whole elaborate stage setup is something Shirogane would have used to trick Kaguya into a confession if he had the resources.

(Japanese Elan, by contrast, is Odokawa. Also 9S.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Love is war.

I mean, you have to admit that the whole elaborate stage setup is something Shirogane would have used to trick Kaguya into a confession if he had the resources.

I wasn't even thinking about the tall platforms of judgement but shirogane being swapped out with microwavable body doubles whenever they lost a battle with kaguya would be on brand.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

chiasaur11 posted:

https://twitter.com/raitaohishi/status/1589366637064777728

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/deve_dy/status/1621174506323574784?s=46&t=h9Z0_x-zrnb4oDE620FvsA

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

If we go by Gundam's normal traditions to be successful as a captain she either needs to slap someone or shout "taia!" (or something like that anyway; I assume it translates to "fire!") while the camera focuses on titty bounce. She already has the first well established by bonking Suletta on the noggin several times though, so I doubt the second is actually necessary.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 2, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eugene is the best ship captain in Gundam because he goes all 40K and merges with the ship to become a living battering ram.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wasn't Eugene just the pilot and not the captain? I thought Orga was the captain? I doubt Miorine will be ship captain anyway, since that seems like the role the woman who was initially introduced as a possible escape route to Earth is going to fulfill. Although maybe she'll be the pilot and Miorine will captain, since I'm not sure anyone in Earth House, or Asticassia as a whole trains in ship piloting.

I'm genuinely not sure who I'd say is the best ship captain in Gundam. Bright is the default response since he's the first and was a mainstay for all of Early UC, but I really don't find him a very inspiring or even talented captain in terms of plans/tactics and his character didn't really have much in the way of development past the first 20 or so episodes of the original show. Natasha from G Gundam, Howard in Gundam Wing and Donyell in Reconguista in G at least have style and personality going for them, but they aren't really notable as actual captains in terms of skill or anything. Jinn Gehenam in Victory Gundam is quite fun too. Not actually a great captain, but pretty memorable for a few scenes. Gundam AGE is a giant pile of poo poo, but Grodek is one of the few glimmers in that pile so maybe him? Just because he had an arc of his own that was relatively fresh within the franchise, and was generally portrayed as a competent captain.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eugene is the backup captain when orga is away

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say that the guy moving the ship jow he wants when he wants via whiskers is more of a captain than a guy swinging his arms around yelling orders.

Setsuna: I AM GUNDAM

Eugene: Hahaha Isaribi go Raaaaaaaaaaam

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Eugene based slingshot is one of the best moments in IBO becauae everyone just gives him poo poo just to rile him up. "OH He's gonna gently caress this up." "Totally, he's gonna get us all killed" "Yup might as well give up now" with poo poo eating grins. Most realistic bit of friendgroup characterization.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

I'm genuinely not sure who I'd say is the best ship captain in Gundam. Bright is the default response since he's the first and was a mainstay for all of Early UC, but I really don't find him a very inspiring or even talented captain in terms of plans/tactics and his character didn't really have much in the way of development past the first 20 or so episodes of the original show. Natasha from G Gundam, Howard in Gundam Wing and Donyell in Reconguista in G at least have style and personality going for them, but they aren't really notable as actual captains in terms of skill or anything. Jinn Gehenam in Victory Gundam is quite fun too. Not actually a great captain, but pretty memorable for a few scenes. Gundam AGE is a giant pile of poo poo, but Grodek is one of the few glimmers in that pile so maybe him? Just because he had an arc of his own that was relatively fresh within the franchise, and was generally portrayed as a competent captain.

I think Ramius is a pretty good contender for best Captain. She's in over her head but rises to the occasion, her relationships with Badriguel and Flaga are interesting and both help her grow as a commander. Not counting subsequent shows, just in their original thing, I think Ramius in Seed is a better character than Bright in MSG

And really, you think Grodek is the most memorable captain in a series that also featured Captain Anus?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Keeping it to SEED alone Ramius grows a lot as a commander as the series goes on and is willing to make the sacrifice play with her ship for the larger goal. She's not bad although everyone will mostly remember her and Sumeragi for zero g titty bouncing. Sumeragi wasn't the tactician they wanted to play her up as, but as the decision maker central leader of the group, I think she's a solid captain. It's rare that she's actively preventing Celestial Being from meeting their goals.

The good captains are given the opportunity to weigh risk and make a choice that could backfire, but usually doesn't. Most of them aren't given much of that which leads to the impression they're often just kinda blah. The Captain of the Albion is a good and solid dude even if he allows some heinous peer to peer behavior on his vessel, plus the Feds executed him for trying to prevent a genocide that has to count for something on the leadership side of things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd forgotten about Natarle now that you mention sacrifice in SEED; her death scene is one of the stand out moments from the original show. I'd forgotten Otto and Zinnerman from Gundam Unicorn too, with both at least standing out as actual characters even if they don't get a huge amount to do as ship captains specifically. That said, the idea that Synapse got executed isn't even in the show so it's pretty dubious whether it's really a thing in lore or not. It's from the original cinema screening, and was removed for home theater release, suggesting they decided against it in the end.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 2, 2023

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Rebellion is quite clear that he took one for the entire ship and basically accepted an execution for treason from the Titans to avoid the entire ship being sent to the gulag for that "crime".

Natarle is another captain who really came into her own. SEED despite being the start of zero g titty framing had some good female captains imo.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I agree with the one reply to that post that ChuChu should be captain, even if what she does is call for RAMMING SPEED!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would her hat be on top of her head or one on each puff

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Rebellion is quite clear that he took one for the entire ship and basically accepted an execution for treason from the Titans to avoid the entire ship being sent to the gulag for that "crime".

Natarle is another captain who really came into her own. SEED despite being the start of zero g titty framing had some good female captains imo.

The crime, in the ova, being shooting down cimas ship thus allowing gato to bust the solar system

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

One extremely wide hat stretched over both puffs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Pom posted:

One extremely wide hat stretched over both puffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkJSq_m2rqc

Just slowly growing to envelop both puffs

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Keeping it to SEED alone Ramius grows a lot as a commander as the series goes on and is willing to make the sacrifice play with her ship for the larger goal. She's not bad although everyone will mostly remember her and Sumeragi for zero g titty bouncing. Sumeragi wasn't the tactician they wanted to play her up as, but as the decision maker central leader of the group, I think she's a solid captain. It's rare that she's actively preventing Celestial Being from meeting their goals.

The good captains are given the opportunity to weigh risk and make a choice that could backfire, but usually doesn't. Most of them aren't given much of that which leads to the impression they're often just kinda blah. The Captain of the Albion is a good and solid dude even if he allows some heinous peer to peer behavior on his vessel, plus the Feds executed him for trying to prevent a genocide that has to count for something on the leadership side of things.

IIRC the reason Synapse was executed was partially because of the battle with Cima and her marines when they were showing up to help stop the Colony Drop, even though I believe that was pretty much all Kou's doing.

Which didn't happen in Rebellion but he was still executed...

Stairmaster posted:

The crime, in the ova, being shooting down cimas ship thus allowing gato to bust the solar system

Dammit!

I will say I think Natarle earns her stripes as a good captain just for how she got the people on her ship off and kept Azrael on and allowed herself to die for the greater good of killing that creep-o forever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kchama posted:

IIRC the reason Synapse was executed was partially because of the battle with Cima and her marines when they were showing up to help stop the Colony Drop, even though I believe that was pretty much all Kou's doing.

Which didn't happen in Rebellion but he was still executed...

The Albion went rogue, defied orders to stand down, and hijacked the GP03 without permission. He was the one in command, that's more than enough rope to hang him with.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 3, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kanos posted:

The Albion went rogue, defied orders to stand down, and hijacked the GP03 without permission. He was the one in command, that's more than enough rope to hang him with.

I actually forgot about the rest. I did figure Kou doing it was enough to get him hanged though, if only because he was in command when Kou did his poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Eugene based slingshot is one of the best moments in IBO becauae everyone just gives him poo poo just to rile him up. "OH He's gonna gently caress this up." "Totally, he's gonna get us all killed" "Yup might as well give up now" with poo poo eating grins. Most realistic bit of friendgroup characterization.

"If you get us all killed, we'll just go 'Well, what did you expect from Eugene?'"

It was one of the best running bits in the series. Even at the final battle, people were running through a list of all the pilots better than Eugene when he was getting ready to lead Tekkadan on a sortie, completely ruining his attempts at playing the noble hero riding out for a last stand.

He even had his own ship in season 2, so the Captain thing is a lot firmer than some Gundam captains.
I'm just glad that, no matter if it succeeds or fails, the IBO Mobile game let us see him trying to manage a job interview.

On the opposite side of things, despite being a similar character archetype, I'm still confused why Beecha got to captain a ship.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

On the opposite side of things, despite being a similar character archetype, I'm still confused why Beecha got to captain a ship.

They kind of sent the Nahel Argama on a suicide mission with a crew composed almost entirely of punk kids, so it was kind of a "default" situation. Judau and Roux were the primary pilots of their best mobile suits(and nobody else could handle the ZZ anyway), which leaves Beecha, Mondo, Elle, and Ino. Ino is absolutely not the commanding type and Mondo is even stupider than Beecha, so I imagine Beecha took the crown over Elle because he would have wanted the job and Elle wouldn't have.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

They kind of sent the Nahel Argama on a suicide mission with a crew composed almost entirely of punk kids, so it was kind of a "default" situation. Judau and Roux were the primary pilots of their best mobile suits(and nobody else could handle the ZZ anyway), which leaves Beecha, Mondo, Elle, and Ino. Ino is absolutely not the commanding type and Mondo is even stupider than Beecha, so I imagine Beecha took the crown over Elle because he would have wanted the job and Elle wouldn't have.

Torres was still around. Not exactly a bastion of maturity either, but at least he had more experience.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Torres was still around. Not exactly a bastion of maturity either, but at least he had more experience.

Wasn't he the pilot? The Wikia lists him as a navigator, but any time I can remember him doing anything on the bridge he seemed to be doing much the same thing sitting at controls. So probably not the person you want in charge of all command functions that requires a high level view, since he can't step away from the controls unless there's someone trained up to replace him. That aside, Bright in ZZ wanted to leave the Nahel Argama to go and organize a Federation fleet at Granada to support AEUG in it's assault on Side 3, so someone had to take over the role and Beecha at least showed some enthusiasm. His actions turned out to be unnecessary even after he did get a fleet together, since Neo Zeon tore itself apart but from a wider point of view it probably speaks to the fact that he trusted the kids he'd basically forced into the war more to finish it and to handle the problems he had helped create in Zeta than he trusted AEUG themselves at that point, given Madchar had tried to push a new, entirely untested crew of adults onto Bright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/BKarbowski/status/1621315144172044290?t=t0uOKzjBrb7ZICvK4dwsHQ&s=19

Lol that the first pic she uses is the punch. She knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spunky Chuatury Panlunch