Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nuebot posted:

I get the feeling he might die at the end of season one, which would set a potential season two up for the full on power grabbing corporate war that follows.

He's so obviously evil and one-dimensional that I'm predicting he gets whacked sooner than later. He barely survived episode one, after all, and no sense in wasting characterization on someone not long for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I'm sure the Spacians have many creative slurs for the Earthians.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Delling's outfit (both prologue and regular series) does have the vibe of a priestly frock. It wouldn't surprise me if "witch" has the same connotations as in real life: somebody who commits "heresy" by challenging the powers that be (in this case, creating superior GUND tech that would shift the balance of power away from the space consortiums.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

For seasonals this cour, there's also MHA, which is doing well, and Spy X Family, which is doing absurdly well, to the point of still beating Witch when it was rescheduled without warning for a ping pong match (this caused a certain amount of mass outrage). There's also Chainsaw Man, potentially, but no ratings are out for it yet.

And it's certainly good, but it's not shocking for Gundam. Iron Blooded Orphans, for example, was the top rated seasonal for its entire run.

This is a very strong anime season. Usually I watch just one series or two, this season I'm watching GWitch, Pop Team Epic, Spy x Family, and Chainsaw Man.

Anime rules.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

[Watching the series that has been explicitly anti-war and anti-imperialist since 1979] Gundam is woke now :mad:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The "Wow Cool Robot" image except the Gundam is shooting "Otome Anime" instead of "War is Bad"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Gripweed posted:

If Earth House becomes an important organization on campus, I assume the show will introduce a crusty old dean who's always getting fed up with their shenanigans.

That's Delling and if Earth House doesn't shape up he'll expel them and drop a colony on their continent.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

galagazombie posted:

With all the talk in-universe of drones and auto pilots and ai control systems I’m worried moms plan will involve an Evangelion dummy plug moment with poor Suletta trapped in the cockpit.

Unlike Gruel's lovely Gundam AI, Ariel's AI actually has a mind of her own and would side with Suletta over her mom.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Next episode will be Suletta going on two separate dates with MioMio and Guel at the same time, without the other knowing.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

If it's anything like real life the corporations are funneling massive amounts of tax dollars to themselves to construct mecha to just stand around on some barely inhabited planet somewhere and "protect" it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Being the seventh rated show in a stacked anime season is actually pretty good I think.

Though tbh I don't really care about the ratings breakdowns. I'm not on Sunrise's board of directors, I just want to see girls be gay and do warcrimes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Endorph posted:

i see a ton of female yuri artists i follow on twitter, who mostly have female audiences, drawing g-witch and getting likes/rts off it.

I'm seeing a ton of Touhou artists I follow doing GWitch art recently. If that's not indicative of its popularity, IDK what is.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Which touhous would Suletta be friends with?

Sanae loves super robots, so her.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

TV ratings, streaming ratings, model kit sales, Blu Ray sales, side merch sales, levels of promotion from Bandai going into the second cour, a second season, future representation in videogames...

No it's the Touhou artists

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I don't think these discussions are happening out of latent homophobia but I do think it's hella dumb to go "the show hasn't dedicated enough time to this one topic" three episodes in.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Finally we'll see how the hair fits in her helmet

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

drat, there's getting rejected and there's the girl running to her mecha and blasting the gently caress off

Good ep this week. Now that the initial arc is wrapped up, we get a satisfying amount of character development and world building.

One thing that stood out to me: Miomio's room is a mess, girl needs to pick up after herself.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1584237310958194688

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Miorine's right that Chuchu shouldn't be mean to my friend Suletta

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Traveller posted:

Now I wonder why they're keeping farm animals. Is it part of the curriculum? Some sort of fucky Spacian punishment for being Earthian? Is Suletta going to end up eating goatburgers for dinner? :ohdear:

According to her profile, the animals are from Aliya Mahvash (the dark-haired girl's) hometown.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I think it's good cool girl ChuChu and nice girl Suletta are friends now. I hope MioMio can become friends with people too soon.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

According to the official short story, most of Aerial's thoughts are "Suletta is my sister/daughter, she is very nice and very cool. People who are mean to Suletta suck rear end"

Those are also most of my thoughts, to be fair.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Twitter person has no clue what Schopenhauer's philosophy is about. It's actually a lot closer to Indian ascetic thought: A person can choose to do certain things but not choose to want (or will) certain things, as such suffering comes from desire, etc. It's been a while since I took philosophy classes but that's what I remember.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah that's the vibe i got too; miorine was like "elan is a bad guy because he's from one of the top three houses and just wants to get with me!" while elan was like "nah idgaf"

MioMio thinks Elan is a bad guy because she thinks he's trying to steal her Suletta away from her.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

People are comically overthinking this, the reason the kid is reading the book about free will and determinism with the fancy name is to show that this is a smart kid who has opinions about Free Will.

I bet Suletta will cause him to re-evaluate his deterministic world view, possibly thorough a super cool mecha battle. I'll be hooting and hollering if (when) that happens.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I hope Petra and Felsi exist as just G-Witch's Bulk and Skull for the entire rest of the show, showing up to razz the heroes or cause mischief but never as actual antagonists.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Doodles posted:

Meanwhile,

Is there a page with all the Chuchu punch memes? I've been looking but my Google-fu sucks.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/%E6%B0%B4%E6%98%9F%E3%81%AE%E9%AD%94%E5%A5%B3

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I doubt Elan's an android because AI seems like advanced tech in this setting: Ariel's is seemingly head and shoulders above the rest but not on the level of a human beings.

The screenshot above is of GUND tech being used to help people medically live in space. I assume it's showing someone whose skeleton or musculature got replaced.

I could believe Elan is genetically modified but otherwise human, or else has cybernetic implants.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

It's fine to have a character who exists just to look pretty and make snarky comments.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Endorph posted:

they could just do split cour, tbh. call it at episode 12 and then take a couple seasons off. would affect pacing in the moment but.

My understanding was they were already doing split cour, with this cour ending December-ish and picking back up in April.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Gripweed posted:

And for all we know the real reason is that episode 7's current working title is "Chuchu Get Stepped On By A Dilanza" and they have to change that plotline due to the unexpected fan reaction to that character and that MS.

I don't get why it would need a change. Dilanzas get wrecked every other episode, so what's one more?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I hope Chuchu uses her mobile suit to kick some Spacian(not Gruel)'s rear end

Then gets a mid-season upgrade with a rocket punch

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Felsi and Petra are the best and I hope they survive the whole series just being gremlins who hang around and get into trouble.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a minor nitpick, and I totally get why it is story-wise, but I'm a little down on it being an older-model Demi Trainer simply because we (probably) don't ever get to see one unaltered. I think it'd be more interesting if we have A Demi Trainer as the baseline for comparison, rather than trying to surmise what's original Old Demi Trainer and what's Custom Chu-Chu Variant. Just as a visual show, don't tell, example of what the Earth company's doing to keep pace with Spacians.

It says there that Demi Trainers all have the same outward appearance, and Demi Trainers are all the generic non-Gundam, non-Big Three Mobile Suits we've seen in the show already.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Suletta is real but Ariel's OS was cloned from Lfrith's.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Well that was an episode, all right. :stare:

catgirlgenius posted:

haha this show is so so hosed

it already feels as heavy as IBO even earlier. when it comes to named characters i mean. this is gonna be a real good Gundam

I read a really good essay somewhere (might've even been here, I don't remember), that it was apparent that Gundam narratives had lost the impact they once had because long-time viewers know to expect stories about the horrors of war, to the point where "war crimes" is a fandom meme. So WfM was seeking to take a new tact by giving characters time to develop in a relatively low-stakes environment so moments of death and horror hit harder even if they're less frequent.

lmao

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

but what is absolutely and totally clear is that Guel is living in a tent now and I can't wait for Miorine to hand him a tomato. this is gonna be a painful two weeks[/spoiler]

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1589230289506926593

https://twitter.com/ndoromaru/status/1589183920083701761

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Runa posted:

This episode hit pretty loving hard and I'm glad of all these Guel Camp memes to help recover from the damage

Lotta Japanese fanartists had the same idea of a slightly burnt Elan joining Guel in camping.

https://twitter.com/bungoyama/status/1589244859067830275

https://twitter.com/morikinoko8888/status/1589227599250980864

https://twitter.com/to_nyok/status/1589228340057362432

https://twitter.com/kimino107/status/1589218835072450563

https://twitter.com/sidatsu/status/1589179889554690048

https://twitter.com/s_esoragoto/status/1589291130645925889

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Also I figured out why the Piel CEOs had a livestream set up of Number Four's execution. It's so someone in the future can show Suletta a recording and traumatize her.

(Do we really need to spoil things beyond a page or so of the episode first coming out? How many people have made it this far into the WfM thread and not seen the latest ep yet? It gets old clicking on pages worth of black bars.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it wrong that I find this absolutely adorable?

Ariel is very cute, yes.