Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm gonna be so mad about the thunderbolt tv edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't wait for the "if you thought narrative was bad, just wait until you see the exact same content playing at .25x the speed!" tv version

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Honestly, while these TV recuts are almost universally bad, in NT's case it might actually improve the end product depending on what kind of content they add to pad it. If they pad it out with stuff like "Jona actually gets to talk to people and have character development" and "the constant flashbacks are segregated into their own episodes instead of constantly cutting up the action sequences and ruining any sense of tension or excitement", then slowing NT down might be a net gain in quality.

Really, there's nowhere to go but up.

How much new dialogue and character development did the origin and unicorn tv cuts add?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think you are being too hopeful but it'd be cool if you're right

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I honestly doubt that the TV recuts are going to do any of these films favors. They're probably just using them to gauge interest levels to determine what UC project gets worked on after they finish the Hathaway films. A TV reminder can reignite interest even if you're stuck with a substantially worse viewing experience.

there's no way the thunderbolt tv cut gets another thunderbolt to happen, i'm done with that false hope

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm so glad we have 2 general gundam franchise threads lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

low quality atra is a gift, and also not something most people notice on first watch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I hope aerial gets to be her own person and find a nice robot of her own choosing to marry, independent of who her sister shacks up with. And I hope that robot treats her well and they have a long and fulfilling life together as war crime machines.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Real talk though the part of that mini novel where suletta is excited to get to go to school and aerial wants to beg her not to go but has no means of communicating was good and I hope there's more stuff giving aerial her own personality. I hope we get an episode that's entirely from aerial's point of view.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's gonna be an episode where she has to pilot one of the basic grunts instead of her super cool robot

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now that the new girl has challenged the status quo the world renowned student council has no choice but to step in and restore order

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

seeing that the pilot of an illegal gundam mobile suit is set to marry his daughter, delling calls up his closest weapons manufacturer friends. "yeah that cutting edge overtuned prototype you were talking about the other day? i'll buy it off you, and every other top of the line robot you have." smiling as he hangs up, he asks his assistant to pass out the new robots to the top 10 best pilots in the school, muttering to himself that in this cutthroat business world the fittest will stop at nothing to survive. after a few weeks of intense, professional pilot training and practice that gundam girl will be no match.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno guel was just insulted right before he started shooting and was pretty angry about it, i don't think "but actually he wasn't trying to hit them" seems at all like what that scene was doing

i think they just made him miss a bunch because if the gundam got shot in the chest during the emotional scene they wouldn't have the emotional scene. i think it may have just been a quick bandaid over some writing issue where they couldn't find a better solution to what they wrote. i predict in future episodes guel will still be considered a good fighter and may even give a good fight

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Jesus Christ take it to your blog

i think it's ok for someone to post their thoughts and opinions in the Something Awful discussion thread for the show they're talking about, even if i don't like their opinion.

i do think it's bad to set an arbitrary standard of particular personality traits and criticize a protagonist on the merits of not possessing them though. i believe in the power of stories to make even protagonists who uh, lack confidence, the center of an interesting narrative and audio/visual experience.

i do hope the second episode has more of a fight though. i found the dull part of the fight to be kind of long and the cool part of the fight feels like it ends immediately. it's not bad and while i'm not as big a fan of the pacing i think the basics of the fight are fine, it just didn't wow me and i was kind of hoping it would.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think it's entirely unfair to say suletta isn't confident in social situations

i rather suspect people would not be arguing that point if it was made in a post praising the show instead of criticizing it tbh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

she is awkward and uncertain in social situations but that is a bit different from 'confidence' as a general personality trait. i know people who are confident and can barely get a sentence out when talking to someone. social awkwardness, stuttering, difficulty communicating your thoughts, etc are much more complicated than just a lack of confidence. id have a problem with implying that there was even if it was in a post saying this was the greatest work of art ever made.

i'm kinda thinking of the part where she slaps a guy's rear end and then immediately cowers behind one of his friends when he, uh, asks her what her problem is

there's certainly an argument that confronting him in the first place is a huge show of confidence and that being scared isn't a disqualifier but i also think arguing about the nuance of what is and is not confidence is a little dumb. suletta is timid but righteous enough to do the right thing despite being scared (and curious enough to act against her fears to be inquisitive). i think it'd be more accurate to say she's brave than to say she's confident.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

no need to be a dick, dude. im talking about personal definitions of something with a lot of nuance to it.

i think she's confident in certain scenarios but feels awkward and unsure in others. she's had very little socialization with anyone her age (or socialization in general) so it seems like rather than lacking confidence she has just literally never developed the baseline skills to manage it. its like driving a car, if someone put a kid whod literally never seen a car before in his life behind the wheel and the kid was nervous, you wouldn't really say the kid 'lacks confidence.'

i dunno if he was nervous thinking he wouldn't drive well because it was his first time i think i would indeed call that lacking confidence.

sorry for being a dick. i'm of the opinion that gaius marius isn't right but of all the things he said about the show this is an oddly specific detail for the thread to focus in on, it feels a lot like wanting to attack him for something but not wanting to engage with the actual meat of his critique. i certainly shouldn't be throwing stones about doing that though, i split hairs about tiny nuances all the time and i also do not want to engage with the meat of his critique.

i will say that while i disagree with your example here, on review of some of the scenes i do think suletta is confident. when she chooses to take an action i don't think she has any doubt that she'll succeed, whether that's rescuing miorine or stepping in to get guel to stop harassing miorine or when challenging him to a duel. she's not well composed and certainly does not project confidence, but i'm not seeing anything that indicates she doesn't believe in her own abilities.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 7, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sure, i think that's a good explanation for suletta's character. she isn't projecting confidence because she has not developed the social skills to know how to do that or have practiced it at all, but not being able to directly communicate confidence is not the same as lacking confidence. thanks for explaining that, i thought this was a dumb conversation but i was wrong, i do genuinely understand the character and the story better for it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is why gaius marius' posts are good even though i hate reading them

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i do not agree with that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Projecting confidence is having confidence. Being able to think that you want your boss to gently caress off is no skill at all, being able to say that is confidence. If you can't make your thoughts manifest than it's nothing but idle dreams.

no confidence is just believing you can do something. you can be confident in your actions while also being too socially awkward to express that in your body language. you can, in fact, make your thoughts manifest while looking like a scared baby the entire time (unless the thought you want to manifest is not looking like a scared baby, i guess). these two things are in no way mutually exclusive.

case in point, while suletta projects absolutely no confidence ever, she commits to things frequently in the episode, is confrontational about behaviors she disapproves of, and doesn't express doubts about herself or whether or not she'll succeed. that's actual confidence - believing you'll succeed enough to be willing to take action. you are describing empty bluster - the ability to appear confident without necessarily having any substance behind it

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 7, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think reacting to the top duelist in the school jokingly challenging you to a fight in an attempt to intimidate you by immediately saying "i accept" and seriously carrying through on that is in fact the definition of confidence. suletta never believes that she will lose that fight and never acts as if she might. she has essentially swung her big overpowered gundam dick around at the first person she's met who she doesn't like. she thought that guy loving sucks and made her thoughts manifest by ripping his robot apart. stuttering while she does that does not change her actions.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 7, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think kamille and heero make good cases.

maybe not later zeta kamille but episode 1 kamille is a blessing

i also think that io is pretty fun to watch. what can i say, jackasses are entertaining

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the GUND system was made illegal in the prologue and people were murdered for it, so i'm guessing that maybe she has been detained for using an illegal vehicle in a school activity

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how have y'all typed so many words after one episode

gundam is a popular franchise and attracts the overly analytical type of nerd

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you know i'm not so sure on that one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the idea is GUND was a good thing but was forced to be used for military application and then was destroyed due to how it behaved when used for military purposes (on paper, in practice it was because lockheed didn't want the competition, who none of the GUND developers wanted to compete with in the first place)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it establishes that delling's surrounded himself with the kind of people who will straight up murder him if they profit from it - regardless of how close a friend he is to them. he's created an organization whose core capitalist/libertarian principals self select for the kind of people who will be actively looking for ways to undermine the system for their own personal benefit, and the school is one of their major apparatuses for doing so.

so like the real villain is capitalism :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

where does the info that it's an AI thing come from? i was under the impression GUND is "just" neurologically interfacing with machines, and aerial also happens to have an AI

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

with that ED there's no way the girls aren't getting together

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it is ok for an antagonist to be framed negatively rather than have characters like iok around to suck his dick and talk him up constantly so the viewer knows what's good about him

pretty much the entire angle with delling whenever he shows up is what a flawed and dysfunctional leader he is and system he's created. that is not what ibo was doing with rustal, so yeah a direct comparison between the two probably has some significant discrepancies. also, rustal has an entire season of anime to characterize him, while delling has had 3 episodes thus far counting the prologue, in a show with very different narrative objectives than IBO.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 10, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ever since trump became president it's been very easy to believe that arbitrary people of questionable competence can hold large amounts of power for reasons that sound totally asinine once you start laying them out

i don't even delling is that bad though. he mostly comes off to me as "we all know how this system works, i'm the top dog because i have the most money and if you don't like that you either need more money than me or a successful assassination. until then i'm not going to bother playing by the rules of a game i've already won and that we all already know doesn't actually have real rules, keeping up the farce is tiresome and i think it's better to be honest about what's going on"

he's throwing his authority around because he knows that in the arena of a benerit group meeting no one can oppose him, and whatever repercussions there may be, like everyone hating him and planning on stabbing him in the back, are already occurring. at this point he doesn't really gain anything by playing the game, that kinda went out the window the moment he established "a school where everything is determined by the winner of giant robot duels" which basically no one else seems to think is a good idea

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 10, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the witch from mercury is about schoolkids engaging in a (nominally) safe 1v1 duel competition that their social life revolves around. despite being safe for the duelists the stakes on each duel are absurdly high, potentially deciding the future trajectory of the participant's lives. corporations are directly looking into these child-activities and have a vested interest in their outcomes.

this is gundam yugioh. the fights are gundam's version of duel monsters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That short novella thing mentioned that suletta spent a ton of time watching animes about school and building up some crazy fantastical idea of school in her head, in lieu of any real social interaction with peers. I think "concept of social interactions is largely formed by watching anime" might be an interesting angle for them to use for suletta, but if they did that they'd almost certainly have her trying to be meta or self aware and I really hope they don't go in that direction with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How well did the enact sell?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

though i am not a fan of the myriad "delling determines whether a robot is or is not a gundam" memes seeing setsuna's inclusion never fails to bring a smile to my face

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the fight was pretty good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad guel has avoided his darkest timelines

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'd love to see what happens if an underdog pulled a trick like the sprinklers during a duel

you see, the backing corporation appealing to the dueling committee to have a result overturned for cheating is just another part of that fighter's strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think the corporate stuff feels weightless and i don't think we need that context for it to have weight? we have plenty enough context from the prologue to understand the significance of pretty much all the actions being taken. maybe there is some additional weight behind them when it turns out they're prepping for an alien invasion or something . so far though i've just assumed it's like modern-ish US MIC where having the coolest newest piece of murder hardware is something that billions are paid for even if you have to essentially invent a reason to use them. if a politician or whoever was asked what's up with all the military spending they'd probably say that even in peacetime they want to be ready and safe in case a war breaks out any moment now. the school is just northrop and lockheed having a gazillion dollar dick measuring contest to justify why so much money is being poured into them instead of other arms manufacturers.

the assassination has weight because it's the primary antagonist who gave the big speech in the prologue getting assassinated by someone within his organization who is also the father of one of the main characters we follow through the show. there's pretty direct ties between that and the impact those events could have on the focus characters who are being fleshed out and whose lives we're invested in. it also seems to be serving several narrative purposes now that prospera has tied back into that same assassination by using it as a source of blackmail. there is plenty of weight to that event and even more has been added retroactively, i don't need ot know who buys the robots to understand the significance of the head of the robot organization being the target of an assassination attempt?

this is the kind of stuff that ibo put on screen in the background for like 5 seconds so the nerds who really care can pause the video and check it out but realistically no one wants to or needs to know. its lack of presence on a background chalkboard is not, imo, a big detractor, though it'd be nice if it was there.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 17, 2022