Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Enjoyment isn’t endorsement of all the contents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, there's the rub, right? Most of the gratuitous and lovely depictions you tend to see don't do that, making it all about the aggressor. I've seen it pulled off okay, but usually it's just incredibly uncomfortable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Well, there's the rub, right? Most of the gratuitous and lovely depictions you see don't do that, making it all about the aggressor. I've seen it pulled off okay, but usually it's just incredibly uncomfortable.
i mean the issue is what counts as 'all about the aggressor' can really vary from person to person

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Enjoyment isn’t endorsement of all the contents

I don't believe I said that people who enjoy the show endorse all the contents?

I said i enjoy the show but this is an element I really don't like. I am a person who enjoys the show but does not endorse all of the contents.

Endorph posted:

tbh i think people are insanely precious about this to the point its uncomfortable and weird

i mean im not saying it cant be handled poorly but id rather a messy and kinda weird depiction of it over none at all so long as it feels like theres at least some attempt to characterize the victim

I get that. I'm not sure I fully agree personally but I respect that position.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 2, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

Can't say I'm a fan of the idea of schrodinger's underaged sexual manipulation themes either! How far do I have to go before the inclusion of that material stops being "trust me, it'll be good later"? When am I allowed to possess an opinion on if I find its usage unsavory in these earlier scenes?

How much benefit of the doubt am I expected to extend on this?

CSM is primarily the story of Denji being manipulated in various ways (monetarily with the Yakuza, emotionally at various points, even physically even if his contract with Pochita was mutual, etc) and if it's the sexual manipulation stuff you're finding hard to watch, it's p much gone entirely after this first anime season iirc. if it's emotional manipulation tho that's a constant but i think it ends up being handled well and resolutely w/o going into spoilers. the anime suffers from the fact that the start of CSM is weaker than the rest and like the first season cuts off right at that threshold which is a shame and prolly a big contributor to your feelings as to why it wasnt handled well

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

symbolic posted:

CSM is primarily the story of Denji being manipulated in various ways (monetarily with the Yakuza, emotionally at various points, even physically even if his contract with Pochita was mutual, etc) and if it's the sexual manipulation stuff you're finding hard to watch, it's p much gone entirely after this first anime season iirc. if it's emotional manipulation tho that's a constant but i think it ends up being handled well and resolutely w/o going into spoilers. the anime suffers from the fact that the start of CSM is weaker than the rest and like the first season cuts off right at that threshold which is a shame and prolly a big contributor to your feelings as to why it wasnt handled well

Thank you for this post. I'm not much for reading manga but I'd be happy to watch a second season of csm, and this knowledge certainly helps alleviate any hesitation I might have to do so.

Personally I don't hold non-sexual manipulation/coercion to as high a standard, I think csm was doing alright there.

Though I guess I'm not so sure how I feel about those earlier scenes if that isn't actually followed up on? That kind of removes the "schrodinger's" aspect of it so all I'm left with is "these scenes were weird and uncomfortable for no payoff." Hrm. Maybe it's followed up on without actually including further sexual elements?

Anyways I don't think this thread needs to delve deeper into my personal hangups with "problematic" sexual material in anime. Hopefully my opinion has been clarified enough at this point.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

Thank you for this post. I'm not much for reading manga but I'd be happy to watch a second season of csm, and this knowledge certainly helps alleviate any hesitation I might have to do so.

Personally I don't hold non-sexual manipulation/coercion to as high a standard, I think csm was doing alright there.

Though I guess I'm not so sure how I feel about those earlier scenes if that isn't actually followed up on? That kind of removes the "schrodinger's" aspect of it so all I'm left with is "these scenes were weird and uncomfortable for no payoff." Hrm. Maybe it's followed up on without actually including further sexual elements?

Anyways I don't think this thread needs to delve deeper into my personal hangups with "problematic" sexual material in anime. Hopefully my opinion has been clarified enough at this point.

honestly i think even ppl who dont care to read manga should give the CSM one a fair shake, there's hardly any meandering that isnt allegorical and Part 1 is only 97 chapters, and the anime's covered the first third of that already. very easy to sit down and read all of Part 1 in a day. as for any kind of payoff, some of that's spoilers, some of it can be argued as building the CSM world as a continuously hosed-up & manipulative world w/ even the most basic wants, but mostly ya this convo is p wrapped up now. ganbatte.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

symbolic posted:

that being said id have to read back but i do think MAPPA may have upped it a bit but like, that was inevitable wrt anime filling in gaps between panels

I feel like this entire lavish realism angle to the anime means Himeno's drunk advances and the office scene with Makima do exist on another level. Like sure Fujimoto is giving an interview where he talks about liking domineering women, but he's not rendering Himeno in first-person POV as she's all over the camera (Denji).

I'll echo the later posts that yeah, this is a particular vein the story moves on from as we get into what will be S2+ material.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the anime absolutely chose to play up the sex angle, they did not need to construct episode cliffhangers around those parts or animate the entire himeno scene twice

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A brief summary of the shows I watched this season:

Akiba Maid Sensou: This wasn't out of left field, this was out of the parking lot. Of another stadium. On Planet Venus. They kept to the joke perfectly through the whole run, and the finale was a all-time classic.

Do It Yourself!!: Utterly charming, utterly chill, and something I got to look forward too every week. "Good job!"

Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! (The Eminence in Shadow): I'm only going to finish this out of an Ahab-like obsession with understanding just what the hell is going on. Looking forward to finding out it was all the dying fantasy of the protagonist after getting hit by the truck.

Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury): Something about Gundam was always impenetrable to me, so this is the first time I've actually watched and enjoyed something from the series. CHU-CHU FEE-VAH!

Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei (Management of Novice Alchemist): String together all the cutscenes from an "Atlier" series JRPG and toss in some capitalism to get this harmless, but slight, show. "Atlier Shrugged."

Spy x Family: My #1 of the season & the year. Can't get enough of the life of the Forger family.

Tensei shitara Ken Deshita (Reincarnated as a Sword): Sword Dad is good, Fran is awesome, Amanda is WAY too clingy, slavers must die, and curry is loving delicious.

Uchi no Shishou wa Shippo ga Nai (My Master Has No Tail): I really wish this could have been better, but it was still a good enough show for me to keep watching to the end. I'd be curious to see the adventures of the two main characters in modern-day Osaka as opposed to Taisho era.

Urusei Yatsura (2022): A glorious remake of one of the all-time classic series from the 80's, and I hope they do "Ranma 1/2" next. I'll be following it through it's whole run this year.

Pui Pui Molcar: Driving School Such a delightful series of shorts starring that crazy crew of cavy Corollas.

Reiwa no Di Gi Charat: Nya.

ON TO WINTER! :uhaul:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah the anime absolutely chose to play up the sex angle, they did not need to construct episode cliffhangers around those parts or animate the entire himeno scene twice

yeah in the manga it mostly plays out as a thing himeno does because shes lonely + drunk and when shes sober shes going going 'oh man i nearly hosed up there' and 'wait i thought you were like 19'

its a moment of vulnerability and stupid drunken behavior. its like uhhh misato in evangelion and her occasional teasing of shinji.

the anime plays it up as this like, dangerous and erotic thing in a way that comes across weird and makes himeno seem waaayyy worse

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched one ep of Akiba maid war. This is just princess principal. I miss princess principal.

Also why wasn’t that called princess principle there wasn’t a principal in it was there… ? Maybe the city was the princess principal? A territory of princesses?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

A leaded beaker of princesses.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

wtf is Princess Principal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's an anime

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

and now princess doesn't resemble a real word anymore. gently caress you!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

it's an anime

shocked Pikachu jpg

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
princess principal was pretty good, but it was no akiba maid war. also they aren't even slightly similar.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
this is giving me real boss baby vibes

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Boss baby was pretty great. Aside from the titular baby boss, it’s mostly about the not boss not baby kid having ridiculously cool dream sequences. Princess principal is similar in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

wtf is Princess Principal

its nothing like akiba maid war but it is very good. victorian fantasy cold war spy action and it's all broads