Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, was 50 Foot Ant a re-reg? Because I managed to find the original thread I found this in and the poster was Humper-Monkey. Or was there more than one Nazi barracks story posted over the years?

one of the accounts claimed they were the brother or something, and that the original poster had died? Something like that

edit: link to book
https://www.amazon.com/Humper-Monkey-John-McCarthy/dp/0557708834

PookBear fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

He was a re-reg. Man he posted some good stories, but I wonder how much he embellished his stories.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Such a good re-read

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Dude could cut his stories in half twice and they are still too long.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Man, I had forgotten just how much stdh.txt was in those stories. Still a very fun read.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jimmy Smuts posted:

He was a re-reg. Man he posted some good stories, but I wonder how much he embellished his stories.

boys gather round this one is a no shitter....

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
here ya go - https://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

He definitely gave a good feel for what the '80s Army was like. His stories reminded me of The Things They Carried, which was part real and part fiction, but in a way, all fact.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The requirement is 10% truth for a callsign, and that sounds like a pretty solid standard to apply across the board.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Oh here's another urban legend. The 9mm/.45 round, razor blade and match underneath each post's flag pole.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Someone who was stationed on the Czech border back in the Sixties swore that the M551 Sheridan was capable of firing the Davy Crockett nuclear round from its gun. I don't know who convinced this dude of that, but I have this feeling he's going to be hard to unconvince.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Madurai posted:

Someone who was stationed on the Czech border back in the Sixties swore that the M551 Sheridan was capable of firing the Davy Crockett nuclear round from its gun. I don't know who convinced this dude of that, but I have this feeling he's going to be hard to unconvince.

Potentially capable.
http://tanksandafv.blogspot.com/2014/04/nuclear-152mm-rounds.html?m=1

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't know where the original post is, but I have it saved in a text file; is it okay to re-post?

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

Index of goon ghost stories, has all of 50's cold war stuff.

Edit, gently caress, beaten.

Only military ghost story I ever got from anyone was from my uncle, who spent his conscription during Vietnam splitting time between going AWOL at any opportunity and serving as an engineman.

One of the crusty old guys in his department apparently decided.to freak out all the new people by giving them a warning that if they ever heard anyone knocking on a bulkhead from the other side, they should leave the area immediately, as the last guy who knocked back went overboard shortly after and was never recovered.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 20, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Only thing military about this one is the title but it's always creeped me out:

quote:

Army ManDuring my senior year of high school I got a job working at a large department store that I will not name (but if you think for even half a second about ‘large American discount department stores' you can probably guess what it was). I ended up working in the deli. You know how things go when you first get plopped down into a group of people who've known each other for a long time: it's pretty uncomfortable because they have lots of in-jokes or catchphrases that you have no hope in hell of understanding. That's what I thought the Army Man was, an in-joke.

You see, whenever there was some sort of accident -- like, say, a woman working in bakery knocking over a stack of boxes, or one of my coworkers in deli dropping an entire eight-piece chicken on the floor on the way to the fryer, it was customary to jokingly grumble "The Army Man did it" and then restack the boxes or throw away the chicken or whatever. I never bothered asking for an explanation since the only thing that makes you feel like more of a loser than not getting an in-joke is asking everyone what an in-joke is all about.

After a while, though, I began to understand a little of what the crack meant. Sometimes whenever anyone blamed something on the Army Man, they would put their arms out in front of them and do a sort of pantomime of an on-your-belly-under-barbed-wire boot camp crawl. I took this to mean that that there was an imaginary solider crawling around on the floor of the store, causing all sorts of elfish mishaps, and some past joke to this effect had spawned whatever meme my coworkers were perpetuating.

I'd been working for a few months when I finally decided to ask what the Army Man was all about. I was in the break room when one of my coworkers, let's call her Betty, happened to go on lunch. She was about my mom's age and took a motherly interest in my current affairs, so she asked me about how my grades were and if I'd been accepted to any colleges and all that jazz. I humored her while she ate and then, about five minutes before my break ended, asked her about the Army Man.

Betty froze up completely, holding her lips really tight, and just shook her head. She refused to say anything about the subject, not even trying to be subtle about it, but Betty was always one for melodrama. I mean, Betty had made the joke along with everyone else; I didn't understand why she wouldn't talk about it now, unless she was being intentionally childish. I dropped the subject and went back to work.

A few days later I was in the break room again when Ruth, one of the women working in bakery, happened by. This time she brought up the subject with me, asking if I'd spoken to Betty about the Army Man. I figured it wouldn't make any sense to say otherwise so I said that I had, and that Betty had refused to say anything about it.

Ruth just nodded and said, "Well, you know how Betty is." When I said that I didn't Ruth held her hands in front of her like she was praying and began to flap her lips in a silent imitation of prayer. Betty was an ardent Pentecostal, I knew, and instead of swearing had a habit of yelling out "Help me, Jesus!" when she got hot grease on her hand, but why this meant she didn't talk about the Army Man, I had no clue.

So Ruth explained:

Sometime the year before one of the unloaders working third shift had been moving pallets into the large freezer where we kept all frozen goods that weren't on the shelves; it was common practice to keep the freezer door open for most of the night while the unloaders took stuff from the truck and moved it in. This particular unloader had surprised his coworkers when they found him outside the freezer with the door slammed shut. When they tried to open it he begged them not to and, when they ignored him, he tried to fight them away.

At first they thought it was a joke, but soon it became obvious that this guy was desperate for them not to open the freezer door. He refused to tell them exactly what had happened; from the way he talked it sounded like he'd seen an animal sneak into the freezer, though why this would freak him out they couldn't guess. They got the managers on duty that night, explained the situation, and against the unloader's protests, ventured into the freezer.

There was nothing in there but boxes, though a few of them had been pulled down from their shelves and smashed, ruining quite a bit of merchandise. The unloader was fired, since it was assumed he'd done something wrong and was trying to shift the blame onto someone else. But before he'd left for good he'd worked a few more days, Ruth told me, and it was during this time he mentioned to some coworkers exactly what he had seen: a shape like a man on his stomach, naked and pale, just disappearing between the plastic flaps that hung down over the freezer door.

Of course the unloader could have mistaken a reflection in those same plastic sheets for whatever it was he claimed to have seen, so he was generally laughed at even after he was fired. It became harder to joke when other people began to see and hear it, though.

It was just snatches of conversation you might pick up, Ruth told me. The women working the returns desk, for instance, would mention that they thought they heard someone on the floor on the other side of their counter, but since they couldn't see anything it must have been something on the floor -- but they didn't bother looking, because of course it was nothing. Cashiers had similar stories of hearing something move through their checkout lane even though there were no customers, something too low to the ground to be glimpsed over the edge of a counter. Coupled with the description the unloader had given, this was when people began to think of the thing as a person trying to be covert, pulling himself around on his stomach by use of his forearms. This was why they started calling it the Army Man.

Betty saw it in the deli. We had a hot case, a metal plexiglass display where we put warm food such as chicken and what-have-you under heatlamps; the top half of the case was filled with pans of food, French fries and so forth, that we served to customers, while the bottom half was filled with boxed eight pieces and rotisseries that the customers could grab on their own. One night while closing, Betty had bent down to clean the glass windows on this section of the hot case. She screamed her all-purpose curse -- "Help me, Jesus!" -- before promptly tumbling back on her rear end and twisting her ankle.

At first the people working with her thought she'd just slipped, since the deli floor was covered in grease pretty much all the time. Betty was having trouble standing up again so they called in management, who quickly arranged a way to transport Betty to the hospital. While they waited, Betty explained to them what she saw: on the other side of the glass, out on the floor of the store, had been a thing looking back at her. That was what she called it, Ruth told me, not a man but a thing. Betty was out of commission while her leg healed up -- it wasn't broken, just twisted monstrously bad.

After a few weeks of general annoyances, a guy working in electronics insisted he'd seen someone crawling around on the merchandise shelves at the back of the department. Thinking it was a customer's kid, he ran over to straighten them out, just as a few plasma TVs were knocked over and shattered. When he told management his story they of course didn't believe him; there was barely enough room on the shelves for the TVs themselves, let alone a person, child or not. He was fired.

Four months or so before I started working, one of the mechanics in automotive refused to let a customer take their car back. The customer was naturally pissed and had called the department manager, a man named Rick. As the mechanic later told anyone who would listen, he'd been working on the customer's car when he had to take a leak. Upon returning he'd seen things like fingers poking out from the vehicle's undercarriage, curled around the bumper, but they withdrew before he could do anything about it.

He searched the car and found nothing, but when the customer came back he still had his doubts about letting the automobile leave the garage. He laid out the situation privately for Rick, who volunteered to test drive the car first and explained it away to the customer as some new quality control policy.

Rick drove fifteen feet into the parking lot before one of the front wheels of the car let out a groan and fell off completely. Needless to say Rick was very much embarrassed and there was a tangle of the usual insurance issues, with the customer blaming the store for tampering with his car. Somehow this was all settled out of court.

Rick killed himself two months after the car incident, though no one could say why. He hadn't seemed particularly depressed and he'd been working as hard as ever, but one night he went home and (from what Ruth heard) overdosed on sleeping pills. Ruth had her own ideas, of course: the Army Man had gotten into the car with the intention of leaving the store, but Rick had foiled its plans and so, instead of following the customer home, it had chosen to follow him home instead. This naturally raised more questions than it answered: what the hell was the Army Man, then, and how had it gotten to the store to begin with? Ruth just shook her head and said something like, "Don't ask me. I just bake French bread." And that was that.

I quit the deli a few months later to head off to college. In the intervening time I had begun to wonder why people continued to joke about the Army Man, if it had ever existed in the first place and if it was half as serious as Ruth made it out to be. Was it just some way of relieving stress, trying to make it seem less important than it really was, or were they loving with me? In time it occurred to me that if Ruth was right, if this Army Man could somehow pass between people and places, then there was a chance, however small, that it might come back to the store, or worse, that Rick had brought it back before he killed himself, and if either of those had happened, it could leave again with someone else.

Perhaps it was done out of fear, as a superstition. I'd been doing it too, I realized. It was just part of the atmosphere of the deli, part of working with people for an extended period of time: you adopt their references, their in-jokes, their memes.

I work in the campus library currently. It's quiet, but I've never heard anything whispering across the carpeted floor. However, when I'm not paying attention while stacking books on a cart, a practice that inevitably leads to a bunch of them falling over, or when the network goes on the fritz and we can't figure out why, I often find myself muttering, "The Army Man did it."

I think a few of my coworkers have overheard me, because they've started to say it, too.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1585712200404140036

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c
So my MOS involves working around pretty powerful sensors/radars so the following myths are commonplace to joke and hear about:

1. Being exposed to an active radar for prolonged periods of time will affect your sperm to the point where it will only allow you to have daughters.

2. Our radars are powerful enough to stunt the growth of plants to include trees if remaining in the same position. Treelines just close enough to an active radiation zone will be a lot shorter than the surrounding ones.

3. If you threw a fist full of popcorn kernels close to the array of a radar, not only will you piss off your maintenance tech for having kernels on the array, but the microwave radiation will effectively create popcorn.

4. Our most powerful sensors, when active can cripple/kill birds should they fly too close or land right in front of the radar.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CabooseRvB posted:

So my MOS involves working around pretty powerful sensors/radars so the following myths are commonplace to joke and hear about :

1. Being exposed to an active radar for prolonged periods of time will affect your sperm to the point where it will only allow you to have daughters.

2. Our radars are powerful enough to stunt the growth of plants to include trees if remaining in the same position. Treelines just close enough to an active radiation zone will be a lot shorter than the surrounding ones.

3. If you threw a fist full of popcorn kernels close to the array of a radar, not only will you piss off your maintenance tech for having kernels on the array, but the microwave radiation will effectively create popcorn.

4. Our most powerful sensors, when active can cripple/kill birds should they fly too close or land right in front of the radar.

I worked on similar stuff, not RADAR though. We also had the legend that the ambient radiation would only allow for girls as children. Oddly enough, it kinda holds true (anecdotal evidence only).

I never had enough power to pop popcorn, but I DID manage to light fluorescent lights like lightsabers near the antenna, that was cool. I also apparently carved out a dip in a tree line with my low angle, high power shot that lasted a month, the semi circle of tree death was kinda cool to make.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ASAPI posted:

I worked on similar stuff, not RADAR though. We also had the legend that the ambient radiation would only allow for girls as children. Oddly enough, it kinda holds true (anecdotal evidence only).

Holds extremely true in my anecdotal experience.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I worked on radar and had two boys.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Godholio posted:

Holds extremely true in my anecdotal experience.

I remember seeing a study years ago that refuted the claim. Everyone was scratching their heads, there weren't many places for us to be assigned and no one knew of a unit with lots of sons.

I suspect that while it may have contributed, it wasn't the only factor at play.

Edit:

CommieGIR posted:

Everytime this comes up, there is always someone bucking the "trend". But like I said, anecdotal evidence only from me.

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 3, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, but did you ever strap that radar on between your legs and have hundreds, hell maybe even a thousand hours of that thing on and emitting?

I only served in 2 fighter squadrons, so anecdotal obviously, but there were an awful lot of daughters and that was the going theory.

It’s obviously horse poo poo but I’ll be damned if my monkey brain hasn’t been convinced otherwise.

Honestly if it were a real thing USN surface fleet sailors would all be having a disproportionately higher amount of girls too. Obviously the AN/SPY-1 through 4 and all it’s sub variants are way stronger emitters than anything a fighter jet is gonna have.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I once heard a tall tale of a lance corporal who had a gently caress left to give. This mysterious creature was no where to be found when sought but rumours of their existence haunted the unit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah, but did you ever strap that radar on between your legs and have hundreds, hell maybe even a thousand hours of that thing on and emitting?

I only served in 2 fighter squadrons, so anecdotal obviously, but there were an awful lot of daughters and that was the going theory.

It’s obviously horse poo poo but I’ll be damned if my monkey brain hasn’t been convinced otherwise.

Honestly if it were a real thing USN surface fleet sailors would all be having a disproportionately higher amount of girls too. Obviously the AN/SPY-1 through 4 and all it’s sub variants are way stronger emitters than anything a fighter jet is gonna have.

I sat here.

And I know exactly one exception to the "rule."

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My dad used to joke about the same thing, only about all the deep sea divers he knew on the north sea oil rigs. Claimed it was to do with all the pressure changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wonder what the exposure for the Pave Mover radar was for JSTARS.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

I sat here.

And I know exactly one exception to the "rule."

Jesus. You'd think they'd at least let you in the plane

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I found out recently that a predisposition to daughters or sons is a real thing, based on genetics. We did some research after my Dad had 4 boys, and my second Nephew was born (+estranged brother with 2 boys).

This is your monthly reminder that non-ionizing radiation cannot cause DNA effects. If you think the radar is determining the sex of your child, you should go hang out with the people who think 5G is controlling their mind, remember their theory is more plausible.

We also had this rumor on nuke boats, especially Boomers for some reason.

It's confirmation bias all the way down.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Offspring sex ratios are influenced by environmental factors though, and apparently all the anecdotes about subs are backed up by surveys enough that someone wrote a paper about it: https://academic.oup.com/milmed/article/184/7-8/e321/5299965

quote:

The submariners surveyed reported greater numbers of daughters than the general population, especially when on sea duty or in regular contact with submarines during shore duty. Further study should be done to confirm results and explore possible etiologies of differences in sex ratio.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I found out recently that a predisposition to daughters or sons is a real thing, based on genetics. We did some research after my Dad had 4 boys, and my second Nephew was born (+estranged brother with 2 boys).

This is your monthly reminder that non-ionizing radiation cannot cause DNA effects. If you think the radar is determining the sex of your child, you should go hang out with the people who think 5G is controlling their mind, remember their theory is more plausible.

We also had this rumor on nuke boats, especially Boomers for some reason.

It's confirmation bias all the way down.

Cool. Except there are piecemeal studies all over the place suggesting there's something to look into. Maybe it's not the radar, maybe it's exposure to JP fuel, regular air pressure changes, or even stress levels. An ad hoc study in the 70s or 80s on fighter pilots found a higher ratio of daughters, and a German study linked such results to stress based on pilot experience (rather tenuously, IMO). None of these were comprehensive, but there's been very little follow-up.

So maybe chill with the friendly reminders that are rather insulting.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Just to prevent this thread from sliding away from absurdity, anyone ever hear about what happens if you flush all the toilets in the barracks at the same time?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Godholio posted:

So maybe chill with the friendly reminders that are rather insulting.

Yeah, apparently there's a bunch of peer reviewed studies showing radar definitely has an affect on the testes and sperm production, I'm the Urban Legend apparently. Sorry about that! I shouldn't shoot off about things I don't have much experience in.

Some of my favorite urban legends that are definitely urban legends:

The main propulsion shaft on a submarine is filled with purple sand, it's purple so you can tell if the shaft is cracked (maybe this used to be true? Either way they're just hollow and empty now)

The Captain of a submarine has a book of super-secret "real" power limits that the nuclear reactor can achieve, only usable in an emergency, when invoked the submarine can hit (insane speed). This one can be disproved with thermodynamics, and the fact that resistance to movement through any medium increases with the square of speed.

The old classic that pervades every branch as far as I can tell, that boxes of food marked "USDA grade F rejected by (x) prison system, unfit for human consumption" or similar have been loaded and used to feed troops. A play on this old chestnut.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Thankfully I don't know this first hand, but anyone who thinks that military rations and fast food are the same quality as prison food hasn't spent time in the system.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

A.o.D. posted:

Thankfully I don't know this first hand, but anyone who thinks that military rations and fast food are the same quality as prison food hasn't spent time in the system.

From what I remember I thought the boxes of food that actual Army cooks got (ie not contractors) said "For institutional and correctional use only." I swear I confirmed this when the cooks on our FOB threw out a bunch of the boxes because they just wanted the plates and utensils and some of us rat hosed them for drink mix. These were the brown boxes that had like 1 of 3 or something and one was frozen stuff in bags that you just had to boil and dump out into a mermite container. The other ones just had the sides and utensils and accessories. Never been to prison so can't confirm taste. I could put down some BBQ riblet things though.

A couple from Afghanistan I remember, specifically on Bagram: The women walking around at night that wore the pink PT belt were prostituting. If you asked those eastern European women that ran the barber shops about blueberry muffins you could get a happy ending.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Wrong Theory posted:

From what I remember I thought the boxes of food that actual Army cooks got (ie not contractors) said "For institutional and correctional use only." I swear I confirmed this when the cooks on our FOB threw out a bunch of the boxes because they just wanted the plates and utensils and some of us rat hosed them for drink mix. These were the brown boxes that had like 1 of 3 or something and one was frozen stuff in bags that you just had to boil and dump out into a mermite container. The other ones just had the sides and utensils and accessories. Never been to prison so can't confirm taste. I could put down some BBQ riblet things though.

A couple from Afghanistan I remember, specifically on Bagram: The women walking around at night that wore the pink PT belt were prostituting. If you asked those eastern European women that ran the barber shops about blueberry muffins you could get a happy ending.

I invite you to do a tour of the internet on the topic of prison meals. Obviously, there's a lot of variability between states and even between individual prisons in a state. A lot of American prisons have the same problem Russian logistics does. A lot of sheriffs skim profits off of the food budget, or skim that budget for use elsewhere in the system. Generally speaking, Texas prisons are some of the very worst when it comes to food, and food is often used nationwide as a punitive measure. Prison Loaf has a reputation for a reason.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wrong Theory posted:

That's a strange thing to get at a barber I'm pretty sure

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For institutional use doesn't necessarily mean prison, it could just be to differentiate from retail or commercial use.

And I for one would like to know what happens when all the Barracks toilets are flushed at once.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Jaguars! posted:

For institutional use doesn't necessarily mean prison, it could just be to differentiate from retail or commercial use.

And I for one would like to know what happens when all the Barracks toilets are flushed at once.

I was told it would make the plumbing explode.

We never had enough people willing to try/risk the building's plumbing.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah that's very much a UL. Sewers are pretty much never pressurized until you get to the whole suburb's transmission pipes. They're also designed to handle exactly that scenario, because that's pretty much what happens when everyone uses them in the morning. I could see like a camp's treatment system failing because it was neglected or outmatched by growth though. There's also ship and sub toilets which definitely do have the potential for shenanigans.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

ASAPI posted:

I was told it would make the plumbing explode.

We never had enough people willing to try/risk the building's plumbing.

If you have Marines drinking in a barracks you dont need anything else to blow up the toilet. They'll manage that on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaguars! posted:

There's also ship and sub toilets which definitely do have the potential for shenanigans.

Especially submarines. Fatal shenanigans.