Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What happens if someone dies on a submarine while it’s underway and submerged? Do subs carry IDK coffin torpedos to launch the dead sailor into the ocean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

What happens if someone dies on a submarine while it’s underway and submerged? Do subs carry IDK coffin torpedos to launch the dead sailor into the ocean?

Just air eject them out of the tube? I know the US Navy will eject the cremated remains out the torpedo tubes if they cannot surface. How they get cremated at sea I don't know, or maybe that's a peacetime thing only.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I think on a sub they just extend your deployment to account for the extra rations

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

We've carried cremated remains onboard for submarine veterans who requested burial at sea. I think they just got dumped from the conning tower before we dove though.

There are absolutely no facilities onboard for cremation, you really try not to combust things in a closed environment where you have to make the oxygen and remove the CO2.

Pretty sure they just get put in the freezer until they can get offloaded and properly dealt with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

We've carried cremated remains onboard for submarine veterans who requested burial at sea. I think they just got dumped from the conning tower before we dove though.

There are absolutely no facilities onboard for cremation, you really try not to combust things in a closed environment where you have to make the oxygen and remove the CO2.

Pretty sure they just get put in the freezer until they can get offloaded and properly dealt with.

That's what I thought! From World War 2, the Germans would either do a burial at sea while surfaced, although I suspect if you needed to get rid of the body dumping it out the torpedo tube with some weights on it was a real option.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

According to Roy Boehm, SEAL plank owner, they tried to launch live people from the torpedo tubes, which lead to blood leaking from places where blood shouldn't leak (I want to say eyes/ears)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's a plank owner

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a plank owner

Founding Member.
His biography was titled "First SEAL"; according to tradition, he owns that title. But I ain't a SEAL (thank christ) so I might be wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a plank owner

A member of a ship's initial crew when placed in commission. Basically the maritime equivalent of being a founding member of a company.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

One thing I keep hearing is that us USAF folks get paid extra to live in bad living conditions, like Army or Navy barracks. But I've lived in both & didn't get poo poo.

Elviscat posted:

The old classic that pervades every branch as far as I can tell, that boxes of food marked "USDA grade F rejected by (x) prison system, unfit for human consumption" or similar have been loaded and used to feed troops. A play on this old chestnut.
This one seems to be heavily associated with the Navy, and I've heard of it from generally reliable people who encountered it firsthand. Being how the Navy food that I've had made Army food look like fine dining, and the corruption involved in ships getting supplies (see the Fat Leonard scandal), I believe it.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Human torpedoes got me thinking. Is it true 10 digit grid coordinates are only used for in-theatre burials? Like you can't bring the body back so you have to bury them for now and come back later. Wasn't there a goon who was recovering bodies in Vietnam and rolled his ankle or something? Was he using the 10 digit grid coords or were locals just pointing them out? That was a crazy story.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

One thing I keep hearing is that us USAF folks get paid extra to live in bad living conditions, like Army or Navy barracks. But I've lived in both & didn't get poo poo.

This one seems to be heavily associated with the Navy, and I've heard of it from generally reliable people who encountered it firsthand. Being how the Navy food that I've had made Army food look like fine dining, and the corruption involved in ships getting supplies (see the Fat Leonard scandal), I believe it.

I've seen "Fit For Human Consumption" as a grade, below D I suppose, basically Institutional Use Only. It came over the side during a Med UNREP and disappeared in the usual way. The only real issues I had with food on the boat involved extended periods underway. I remember the first time we got UHT milk instead of powdered and it was a noticeable quality of life increase.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We routinely got moldy fruit in the galley at Pt. Hueneme because the Naval Construction Force believes that the surface fleet shouldn't have all the fun when it comes to serving are troops food they can't eat.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

Human torpedoes got me thinking. Is it true 10 digit grid coordinates are only used for in-theatre burials? Like you can't bring the body back so you have to bury them for now and come back later. Wasn't there a goon who was recovering bodies in Vietnam and rolled his ankle or something? Was he using the 10 digit grid coords or were locals just pointing them out? That was a crazy story.

I was taught that you gave as tight as grid as possible if you had to abandon the dead or critical abandoned equipment. During OIF 1, if we had to abandon our truck, radios got deleted, the TOW missile optical system gets a handful of rounds through the lens. Strip the bolt of the heavy weapon and any other weapon we have to leave, stack them under the radios and thermite the pile. Call in a 10 digit for airstrike.

There was someone who was doing MIA recovery that could elaborate, but I find 10 digits to be implausible outside of burial and overrun preplotted positions. Most MIA in VN were either aircrew, or units in heavy contact, separated, or overrun; all of which would be best guesses, last spotted, or "disappeared between Point A and Point B".

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nystral posted:

they get put into a body bag and stuffed into the freezer with all the food.

really.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ded posted:

really.

I got assigned a detail to dump a trailer of ice in Iraq because we had to store a self inflicted death in there.

To this day I'm unclear on the reason- it only makes sense to me if it was stored without a body bag, but as a grown up not living as a heathen refugee, I can see how some people might be icked out that their Fanta is chilled with morgue ice.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

bulletsponge13 posted:

we had to store a self inflicted death in there.
:(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

That's what I thought! From World War 2, the Germans would either do a burial at sea while surfaced, although I suspect if you needed to get rid of the body dumping it out the torpedo tube with some weights on it was a real option.

Do you want Genesis Planets? Because this is how you get Genesis Planets

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wrong Theory posted:

10 digits gives 1m square, 8 gives 10m square etc. You need both accurate GPS/compass bearings and map to make use of a 10 digit grid

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wrong Theory posted:

That level of accuracy didn't exist in the field during Vietnam. Probably a combination of whatever records still exist in the US, plus help from locals, plus tech to locate wreckage as able, plus luck.

In the late 60s the Air Force was barely putzing around with the tech that would lead to GPS...leadership was less interested than you might think, so funding was always bad and it was cancelled in 72 or 73. Aerial navigation was a solved problem, you see, and that kind of weapons guidance wasn't even a dream yet. But CAS and CSAR were, and if you were on the radio with a guy who knew exactly where he was and where the enemy was, you could deliver some devastating effects from above. But that was money that would take away from the F-X (F-15) and A-X (A-10) programs, and B-52 modernization, and probably whatever program was leading to the B-1A, so NOPE. GPS' program rose from those ashes just a couple of years later, fortunately, led by the same dude.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 9, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GPS chat: In OIF 1, our issued GPS, PLGR was useless for most of the build up. While in Kuwait, they refused to recognize that, instead insisting we were in Washington.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

That level of accuracy didn't exist in the field during Vietnam. Probably a combination of whatever records still exist in the US, plus help from locals, plus tech to locate wreckage as able, plus luck.

In the late 60s the Air Force was barely putzing around with the tech that would lead to GPS...leadership was less interested than you might think, so funding was always bad and it was cancelled in 72 or 73. Aerial navigation was a solved problem, you see, and that kind of weapons guidance wasn't even a dream yet. But CAS and CSAR were, and if you were on the radio with a guy who knew exactly where he was and where the enemy was, you could deliver some devastating effects from above. But that was money that would take away from the F-X (F-15) and A-X (A-10) programs, and B-52 modernization, and probably whatever program was leading to the B-1A, so NOPE. GPS' program rose from those ashes just a couple of years later, fortunately, led by the same dude.

Meanwhile in SSBN world the navy had a fully operational satnav system providing 20m accuracy worldwide in 1964

yeah the reciever weighed 600lbs and needed half an hour to process the signal into a fix, but nevertheless,

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Meanwhile in SSBN world the navy had a fully operational satnav system providing 20m accuracy worldwide in 1964

yeah the reciever weighed 600lbs and needed half an hour to process the signal into a fix, but nevertheless,

The AF project was literally to copy and miniaturize that, because the Navy wasn't interested in doing so.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ded posted:

really.

This is also the procedure on cargo ships, although the manual still has the procedure for burial at sea. Which I doubt law enforcement / customs would find amusing so… yeah.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ded posted:

really.

there is an episode of NCIS (I think) where they're investigating a death and everyone is eating ice cream as they had to make room for the corpse and i've always found that darkly funny.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah cause running out of ice cream is NBD, running out of baloney (if you have any newfies onboard) is an issue.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I've eaten the worst grade of Sysco food, the same poo poo they shovel to prisons. It costs about a dollar a day per person, so you can imagine the 'quality' you get. Bags of straight up egg yolk, bacon so thin that even thirty seconds on a grill turned it into carbon, and bread that must have been 90% potato, 5% actual flour, and 5% sawdust and dead bugs.

It also didn't help that our cooks were some of the most incompetent, unskilled morons to ever walk the earth, so they'd fry the bacon to death in make trays, put the egg yolk in it, and then slap a lil bit of oil from frying the sausage patties (which are are another abomination on their own) on it and then throw it in the oven. The result was egg loaf that tasted like hot dog water and had the consistency of jell-o. We had guys living on dominoes pizza because actually eating center food was horrid.

gently caress it, since I'm on the topic, i remember one time they tried to make egg rolls. They fried it so hot and long that resulting egg rolls legitimately looked like turds and were completely raw on the inside.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 23, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember getting to Basic, and being utterly amazed at how much food we got. I might have been the only fucker to pick up chub in Basic.

I also remember being disgusted at how much food went to waste.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’ve had a ship’s cook gently caress up hot dogs. He never would admit what he did to them but I think he boiled them, buns and all.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Well the recipe called for steamed buns and boiling water is basically steam in transition

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

Well the recipe called for steamed buns and boiling water is basically steam in transition

Here comes a new take on steamed hams...

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Its wild how the Navy has the worst food in the DoD, there's so many horror stories about prison food being given to sailors. Yet the Army provided some drat good food in the FOBs of Afghanistan, like we had straight up steaks & lobsters & other delicious poo poo. It seems the Navy straight up hates it's own people.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Its wild how the Navy has the worst food in the DoD, there's so many horror stories about prison food being given to sailors. Yet the Army provided some drat good food in the FOBs of Afghanistan, like we had straight up steaks & lobsters & other delicious poo poo. It seems the Navy straight up hates it's own people.

All of the money is spent on the boats. They have barely anything left over to pay for people, or to keep those people alive.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

We did occasionally get steak and lobster in the Navy on deployment...... Right before getting the news that we're getting extended for another month. :hellyeah:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

We did occasionally get steak and lobster in the Navy on deployment...... Right before getting the news that we're getting extended for another month. :hellyeah:

drat, we'd get the steak treatment on the last full day of a field exercise as a reward for not killing anyone or losing any gear.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A.o.D. posted:

drat, we'd get the steak treatment on the last full day of a field exercise as a reward for not killing anyone or losing any gear.

Steak, lobster or ice cream were instant signals we're getting hosed.

Or the time we were headed back from deployment and did a massive stores onload in Portugal, but it was all poo poo for the tiger cruise (stop in port and family members can ride the ship back home) so we spent a week eating literally toast and hotdogs as the only hot meal.

Mid rats one night was boiled chicken thighs. No seasoning, just literal boiled chicken thighs. Not even bread or crackers put out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

You probably landed at a unit with a bunch of pilots or medical staff, they get the better stuff. The food on my fob in Afghanistan was so bad that I voluntarily ate the cheese/veggie omelette MRE :vomarine:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

If I wanted to be kind I’d say it’s because they’re limited in the frequency of resupply and the amount of refrigerated storage space onboard.

But really it’s probably just because they suck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PookBear posted:

there is an episode of NCIS (I think) where they're investigating a death and everyone is eating ice cream as they had to make room for the corpse and i've always found that darkly funny.

A refreshingly interesting detail from nics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Steak, lobster or ice cream were instant signals we're getting hosed.

Or the time we were headed back from deployment and did a massive stores onload in Portugal, but it was all poo poo for the tiger cruise (stop in port and family members can ride the ship back home) so we spent a week eating literally toast and hotdogs as the only hot meal.

Mid rats one night was boiled chicken thighs. No seasoning, just literal boiled chicken thighs. Not even bread or crackers put out.

how is that tolerated by command?