Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

how is that tolerated by command?

They're not eating it, or they had to when they were junior so you do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Yeah I don't know what the ultimate difference in what they serve is, but on (surface) ships both the officers and chiefs have separate places to eat.

In urban legends content, I've heard stories about sailors desperate for fresh food getting surprise port calls after enterprising seamen stole all the ice cream from the chief's mess.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

pygmy tyrant posted:

Yeah I don't know what the ultimate difference in what they serve is, but on (surface) ships both the officers and chiefs have separate places to eat.

In urban legends content, I've heard stories about sailors desperate for fresh food getting surprise port calls after enterprising seamen stole all the ice cream from the chief's mess.

While the Lexington was sinking, the crewmembers grabbed all the ice cream before abandoning ship.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

cult_hero posted:

While the Lexington was sinking, the crewmembers grabbed all the ice cream before abandoning ship.

Big if true. Personally I would have prioritized getting my regulation gold earring that you are definitely allowed to wear in uniform if your ship gets sunk.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Icon Of Sin posted:

You probably landed at a unit with a bunch of pilots or medical staff, they get the better stuff. The food on my fob in Afghanistan was so bad that I voluntarily ate the cheese/veggie omelette MRE :vomarine:

:dafuq:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Camp Baharia was Al Anbar's Disney Land. The lake was full of dead political opponents of the Baath party/Saddam's sons.

Juba the Super Sniper lived in one house in every AO that for nonsensical reasons nobody would ever green light for mayhem.

HUMINT teams are the only ones who ever know why anyone is doing anything, and at the same time they are loving clueless and chasing their own farts

Every post everywhere is haunted by dead children.

Marines used (bullshit like video game joysticks mounted on dashboards) to confound remote detonated IEDs just as effectively as the magic sperm-murdering magic-sticks-on-gun-trucks did. Probably true because I question the effectiveness of the latter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A.o.D. posted:

how is that tolerated by command?

Chiefs mess and officers mess have their own food they don't give a gently caress.

AllenFarnsworthIV
Apr 12, 2021

Wrong Theory posted:

Human torpedoes got me thinking. Is it true 10 digit grid coordinates are only used for in-theatre burials? Like you can't bring the body back so you have to bury them for now and come back later. Wasn't there a goon who was recovering bodies in Vietnam and rolled his ankle or something? Was he using the 10 digit grid coords or were locals just pointing them out? That was a crazy story.

I spent a decade of my career doing the MIA recovery thing. I'm not on the investigation side of the house, I'm on the recovery side. I know it's a whole process to even send a recovery team out. We have historians who research the battles, make sure there was a crash/battle/running retreat or whatever the case is actually happened in that location and then we'll send out an investigation team made up of military intel NCOs and civilians. They'll conduct interviews with potential witnesses, historians will do whatever they do to look up local newspaper articles and etc, and then the anthropologist on the team will go out to the site to do whatever scientist thing they do to verify that the site is indeed where the crash/burial happened. Then it goes up the chain before it gets approved as a recovery site. By the time a recovery team goes out there, we have the 10 digital grid and all, because of the investigation team verifying that we're in the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

AllenFarnsworthIV posted:

I spent a decade of my career doing the MIA recovery thing. I'm not on the investigation side of the house, I'm on the recovery side. I know it's a whole process to even send a recovery team out. We have historians who research the battles, make sure there was a crash/battle/running retreat or whatever the case is actually happened in that location and then we'll send out an investigation team made up of military intel NCOs and civilians. They'll conduct interviews with potential witnesses, historians will do whatever they do to look up local newspaper articles and etc, and then the anthropologist on the team will go out to the site to do whatever scientist thing they do to verify that the site is indeed where the crash/burial happened. Then it goes up the chain before it gets approved as a recovery site. By the time a recovery team goes out there, we have the 10 digital grid and all, because of the investigation team verifying that we're in the right spot.

There any civvies working on MIA teams? And does the job require a TS/SCI still?