Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

so if I consolidated my federal loans and now they are an ffelp consolidation, as of yesterday, no soup for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

balls lol

naem
May 29, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I didnt even know you could default on your student loan, I thought that wasn't possible.

same, I would have given up years ago

naem
May 29, 2011

Reiche posted:

I didn’t pay my student loans for a long rear end time because I was dirt poor and that led to being threatened with loan default in Jan 2020. Then March happened and loan repayment was paused indefinitely. Now I get to huck all that stupid debt into the ocean with my old car batteries.

So what I’m trying to say is thank you pandemic for the perfect timing and clearing 17k!

it’s a christmas miracle

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s weird because, if we consolidated a former federal loan away from a private ffelp into an eligible loan type, the services of the ffelp would get cash. Like the new consolidation company would pay them.

the former private ffelp firm would miss out on some years of interest though so I guess gently caress us, random cut off date

naem
May 29, 2011

Lady Homunculus posted:

I had four federal loans - as of the payment pause, 2 were at Great Lakes and 2 were at Navient. I was confused that my Navient loans were still autopaying and accumulating interest while the other two automatically froze. After a frustrating afternoon I figured out that the Navient loans were FFELP - I got them through FAFSA and they were federally backed but privately owned. If you took out federal loans pre-2010 they may be FFELP.

I was paying the Navient loans well into 2022 when I found out (I think from Twitter) that I could consolidate all four into a Federal Direct loan and stop having to make payments while the pause was in effect. The interest rate went up a teensy bit but it ended up saving my butt in that the whole loan amount is now eligible for forgiveness.

The whole FFELP thing is so frustrating. The servicers really did not want people to know that they could consolidate them into Federal Direct and now it's too late.

reconsolidating would give the servicers a lump sum as the feds would effectively buy the debt balance but they’d lose some years of interest so yeah sorry if like me people got excited for a minute

naem
May 29, 2011

I hope that people who were able to reconsolidate in time for forgiveness aren’t affected by higher interest rates as this delay is dealt with

naem
May 29, 2011

Effective-Disorder posted:

You know, if we just handed Texas over to Mexico we could probably make Puerto Rico a state and not have to change the flag.

I don't know what kind of other stuff we'd have to throw in for Mexico to want it though.

mexico and puerto rico reading this, looking at each other, then looking at the camera and shaking their head no while grimacing

naem
May 29, 2011

a lot of young voters are I hope pissed and know who to blame

naem
May 29, 2011

the democrats did do something, the right thing

place blame on the party of hate

naem
May 29, 2011

there’s the:

“party that means well and isn’t very good at stuff”

and

“the party that just stopped your student loans from being forgiven and actively wants you to suffer for no reason but cruelty”

naem
May 29, 2011

they limited how much they forgave and limited who could get it to avoid lawsuits, might as well go for broke now

naem
May 29, 2011

it would be cool if they pushed the reconsolidate date back for us trusting patient types

naem
May 29, 2011

they can’t die soon enough

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

naem
May 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Mom told me she's bringing KFC home for dinner tonight but she got stabbed to death on the way home. gently caress you, mom.

it’s what the founding fathers would have wanted

naem
May 29, 2011

90s Solo Cup posted:

Looks like it's time to leave home.
*leaves the U.S., pretends student load debt doesn't exist*

realve my student load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve had a small balance remaining on a loan for years and my automatic payment gave me perfect credit rating despite never financing a new car or house in my life, thanks Obama