Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I saw it once and it was horrifying. Super "trippy." I can't think of a good word right now. I should probably watch that again.

edit:

remember Ozma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

twistedmentat posted:

Yes! My dad had this big book of weird stuff from Life or Reader Digest that had stuff about future tech (this was from the 70s so it was talking about stuff that is either commonplace, supplanted, or dead end), historical oddities and the last section was about paranormal stuff, and the section on Nostradamus freaked me out, especially his last one with the line "in the year 99 of 1900 from the sky will come the great king of terror" or something like that, and that terrified me because it suggested to me that in 1999 there would be either a nuclear war or a comet will hit the earth and I'd be dead in about a decade.

Oh man, I had these world almanacs from the mid-70s that were already 10 years out of date by the time I got them. I don't remember how they came into my possession, but I definitely remember a section on future predictions and there were lots of cryptic apocalyptic predictions that would have occurred around the time of the new millennium. That Nostradamus one was definitely in there, and I remember a Criswell prediction about a "black rainbow encircling the planet that would rob it of oxygen and kill all life on Earth" that would have occurred in 1999 that scared little Elf. I also seem to recall those books explaining the Mayan calendar and 2012 as the definite date of doom if all other predictions failed.

Also, seeing these commercials constantly during the summer when I'm just trying to watch The Price is Right without fear :ohdear::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7veciQZgYo

These books own, btw.

And just to add to that, the Unsolved Mysteries theme. Holy gently caress it still gives me goosebumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

This weird poo poo from Sesame Street did my head in
https://youtu.be/eI5gyxiKChI
My distant memory of seeing it exactly once is I was watching tv with no one else in the room and something about the stark moog sound effects and those faces changing and nothing else absolutely freaked me out and I ran screaming out of the room nope nope nope. I couldn’t have been more than 2 or 3 and I think I tried to describe it to my mom who was like what? Faces changing? I thought it was trying to take control of my brain.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
When I was a kid a children’s book came out called The Flat Man. Dude had a hateful rear end face and would slip under the door and window and just stare at (maybe berate) some little boy. It freaked me the gently caress out despite loving horror from a very young age. Nothing scares me now. I think exposure to all the weird poo poo in the 80s and 90s desensitized me.

Except tornadoes. Tornadoes are very scary.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LOL

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Poltergeist.

How has no one posted this yet?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

KIT HAGS posted:

Except tornadoes. Tornadoes are very scary.

The sirens are very eerie. I recorded this in November of last year.

I have no idea why it turned this video into a short. I don't understand youtube and just upload stuff. edit: oh it just shows that on my channel but it embedded just fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIRRj9C16Zg

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Poltergeist.

How has no one posted this yet?

This thread is clean

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

This thread is clean

Is it?

Yeah I know that's 2 but that poo poo scared me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is it?

Yeah I know that's 2 but that poo poo scared me.

yeah, maybe, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO21q7DWgSE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

omg that was awful.

I didn't see it forever but like 15 years ago or so I was on dxm and watched it for the first time. I had no idea it was a Spielberg film and it ended up being quite magical. Definitely Spielbergish. The beginning started of very sweet and adventurous... and it kinda went bad fast. Excellent movie.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, seeing these commercials constantly during the summer when I'm just trying to watch The Price is Right without fear :ohdear::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7veciQZgYo

These books own, btw.

And just to add to that, the Unsolved Mysteries theme. Holy gently caress it still gives me goosebumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8
Came to post both of these. And having an old shortwave radio that I hosed with as a kid and just hearing weird poo poo at night wondering if it was aliens.

Also, Pet Semitary. Saw that in 8th grade, after having already read several Stephen King books. Apparently I was not ready for the visuals becaue I had to sleep with the light on for like a month.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Enter sandman by Metallica. It would feel me with dread and I’d cry

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

Came to post both of these. And having an old shortwave radio that I hosed with as a kid and just hearing weird poo poo at night wondering if it was aliens.

Also, Pet Semitary. Saw that in 8th grade, after having already read several Stephen King books. Apparently I was not ready for the visuals becaue I had to sleep with the light on for like a month.

sometimes dead is better

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

sometimes dead is better

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

:wink:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The Zelda scenes were pure nightmare fuel

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i rewatched it recently and it's loving goofy but the orbs in phantasm scared me when i was a boy

also the trilogy of terror vignette with the zulu hunting fetish little weird african stabby doll or whatever, it was just on svengoolie like right now no foolin

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

haljordan posted:

HBO made an original movie about the hostages during the Iranian embassy siege (not the ones who escaped) and whenever they were moved around, they were completely covered in head to toe in duct tape except for a tiny slit for breathing. Definitely scary poo poo to young me.

I hope they played "Pretty Woman" or any other Roy Orbison song during the reenactments.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Real Ghostbusters Boogyman episode. Distilled Nightmare Fuel.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

When I was a little guy my older sister wanted to watch Exorcist, and I started whinging and crying because I didn't want to watch a scary movie. She told me it was a comedy to shut me up, and I sat and watched it and laughed my rear end off the whole time.

Kinda goes against the spirit of the thread, but it's a really weird memory.

I've watched it about a half dozen times since then and I still think it's funny. It's like she hypnotized me or something.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

gooey gus the slime monster from ghostwriter

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jows posted:

Real Ghostbusters Boogyman episode. Distilled Nightmare Fuel.

Yeah and I think the sandman one. The voice was horrifying.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Fire In the Sky is a bizarre one because it's largely not an alien abduction/horror movie. From what I remember, most of the film is actually a really decent drama piece about the whole town suspecting Walton's work buddies of killing and disappearing him. Lie detector tests and all.

But drat if it doesn't have one of the most viscerally horrifying alien abduction/experimentation scenes in it. I think I watched it with my Dad, and my Mom yelled at him for it because it gave me nightmares for weeks.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Watership Down emotionally scarred me for life

The utter sadness of Death

And it's BUNNIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mister Speaker posted:

Fire In the Sky is a bizarre one because it's largely not an alien abduction/horror movie. From what I remember, most of the film is actually a really decent drama piece about the whole town suspecting Walton's work buddies of killing and disappearing him. Lie detector tests and all.

But drat if it doesn't have one of the most viscerally horrifying alien abduction/experimentation scenes in it. I think I watched it with my Dad, and my Mom yelled at him for it because it gave me nightmares for weeks.

Hah I was waiting for someone to mention this, that movie still freaks me out even now