Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Those aren't technically false memories - those are memory errors, misremembering.

I have actual false memories from when I was hospitalized with multiple skull fractures. Really intense, vivid, real-seeming memories of poo poo that emphatically didn't happen. There wasn't a golf course outside the critical ward I was on. There wasn't a movie theater on the floor below mine. The straitjacket they put me in wasn't actually covered with silver sequins. Those are false memories. (The straitjacket was real, just not the sequins.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

The logical part of my brain knows I probably was just having a very vivid dream that just stuck with me for no real reason.

The rest of me, with full and true conviction, knows I got up in the middle of the night when I was six and saw the Easter Bunny in the yard.

Now that sounds like a false memory.