Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like noon games even better now on the west coast. I just wake up, catch the fun part of Gameday and then football is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gus is also terrible unless a big play is happening.

Think that's bad try watching anything with Beth Mowins

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dirty shrimp money posted:

Buddy I root for a Big Ten team that’s not Michigan or Ohio State. I have heard a lifetime of Beth Mowins.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all play-by-play guys suck and the only one I know by voice is Gus Johnson.

All color commentary guys also suck except for RGIII and Tony Romo.

Don't tell me to listen to the radio call those suck too you're all lying to yourselves.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
You aren't a committed college football fan until you have endured dreadful noon Big Ten games with that female announcer along with Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial SEC/ACC games.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Game days in my house are like trying not to wake an infant in the next room, but occasionally I’ve had a few and forget and OH RUN RUN RUN YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD YES YES NO WAIT LOLA (forced cheerfulness) DADDY’S NOT MAD DON’T GO UNDER THE BED

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Don't tell me to listen to the radio call those suck too you're all lying to yourselves.

Mostly correct but I'll note that radio homer calls absolutely own when something ridiculous happens and your team wins, and they own even more when something ridiculous happens and your team loses.

They're their own form of art.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Mostly correct but I'll note that radio homer calls absolutely own when something ridiculous happens and your team wins, and they own even more when something ridiculous happens and your team loses.

They're their own form of art.

They're just some guy going "OH MY GOD AWHHHHHHHHH" and not even bothering to describe the play. People who like the radio callers just have long-term parasocial relationships with them because for some reason radio dudes all keep their jobs for 45 years.

Obviously none of this applies to Craig Way, the only good radio caller in the nation. :colbert:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty much all play-by-play guys suck and the only one I know by voice is Gus Johnson.

All color commentary guys also suck except for RGIII and Tony Romo.

What is this Kevin Harlan erasure

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

You aren't a committed college football fan until you have endured dreadful noon Big Ten games with that female announcer along with Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial SEC/ACC games.

At least those games were on TV. In the 2000s like half of Conference USA's broadcasts were pirate streams of someone's camera pointed at a stadium jumbotron

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I absolutely love noon games as a couch spectator, but they're the worst to actually attend. Then again, the live sports experience in general is kind of awful these days. To some extent, I'm probably just old and cranky about it, but it really has gotten increasingly more expensive and logistically annoying. Watch parties with my friends, whether at someone's place or one of our favorite bars, are so much more enjoyable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just bought tickets to the Georgia Southern/Georgia State game. Have a date that went to Southern and just through chatting wound up agreeing to go.

I got lower level 50 yard line seats, 3 rows up for $60

No not each, for both lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

They're just some guy going "OH MY GOD AWHHHHHHHHH" and not even bothering to describe the play. People who like the radio callers just have long-term parasocial relationships with them because for some reason radio dudes all keep their jobs for 45 years.

Obviously none of this applies to Craig Way, the only good radio caller in the nation. :colbert:

HOW COULD HE DO THAT? is the greatest radio call ever, followed by the sounds (as they were not words) by the App State guy when they blocked Michigan.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status/1577324103215767553?t=ARp8mTdJONoe7BiEsTScCg&s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RumbleFish posted:

I absolutely love noon games as a couch spectator, but they're the worst to actually attend. Then again, the live sports experience in general is kind of awful these days. To some extent, I'm probably just old and cranky about it, but it really has gotten increasingly more expensive and logistically annoying. Watch parties with my friends, whether at someone's place or one of our favorite bars, are so much more enjoyable.

As someone who could easily get up at 6 and start tailgating at 8, noon games are ok by me. I hated them in college though because I was in marching band. We always did a morning run through before the game, and that was usually 5 hours before kickoff. This being ISU, our earliest games were actually 11 AM, so that meant band practice at 6 AM in the cold. Practice, go eat breakfast, go change into your uniform, and be at the gathering spot at like 9:30. Not so fun times.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

I like noon games even better now on the west coast. I just wake up, catch the fun part of Gameday and then football is on.

I miss this poo poo so much from when we lived out there.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Gus is also terrible unless a big play is happening.

It's at least funny when he does his "throw to Joel Klatt with a really dumb question" bit and Joel shuts him down cold.

Buddy I root for a Big Ten team that’s not Michigan or Ohio State. I have heard a lifetime of Beth Mowins.

This is Pam Ward erasure :colbert:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Spacemonkey57 posted:

You have to take the good with the bad with Fox:

The score bug is less obnoxious than ESPN

ESPN's had this monstrosity since 2020 and retired the last two after 3 years of service, so hopefully it's time soon.

Counterpoint: Beth Mowins is knowledgeable and good, harrumph. I'd like her better if they didn't pair her with former-player-doofus who knows how to say "wow." and nothing else.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

baseball man did the thing finally

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I enjoy when Rocky Boiman is part of the announcing crew for a game. Not because of his announcing and commentary talents or lack thereof, but because it means everyone else has to say his name.

ROCKY.

BOIMAN.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

Counterpoint: Beth Mowins is knowledgeable and good, harrumph. I'd like her better if they didn't pair her with former-player-doofus who knows how to say "wow." and nothing else.

As a veteran of years and years of 11:00 Big 10 games, Beth Mowins is fine and not even close to the bottom of the barrel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beth Mowins is a fine, I dare say good, play by play announcer but for whatever reason there are nowhere near enough good (even ok) color commentators for every CFB Saturday and the early games are the worst assignments.

edit: random content thought: airdrop romo into the booth at random B1G noon game with no prep

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 5, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never watched College Gameday once.

Now it's at my College. I have no idea what to expect. Or when it starts. Or how long it lasts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The heel turn

https://twitter.com/DukesMayoBowl/status/1577453627668856832

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

kiimo posted:

I've never watched College Gameday once.

Now it's at my College. I have no idea what to expect. Or when it starts. Or how long it lasts.

it "starts" when kids start lining up 12 hours before the actual show starts, there's a lot of cameras sweeping all over the place, you'll see Herbstreit's weird red skin, then it's over at 11

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/TPortalCFB/status/1577455789840572416?t=PpoZM8x23wRoagT1FRkP9w&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm in PST, do you mean 11 PST?

Guess I'm getting up at 6am on Saturday like I do every week day

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

6-9 PST. It goes directly into the first games of the day. They've consistently run over this season even.

Any word on KU's guest picker? Paul Rudd? A basketball person? Rob Riggle apparently went there and has football pregame show experience.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2022

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

kiimo posted:

my bad, I live in flyover country

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

6-9 PST. It goes directly into the first games of the day. They've consistently run over this season even.

Any word on KU's guest picker? Paul Rudd? A basketball person? Rob Riggle apparently went there and has football pregame show experience.

Dan Ryckert

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hasn't come out. I'd probably say Riggle would be the best bet, he's already been to a game this year. Embiid would be fun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Alaois posted:

Dan Paul Ryckert

:sickos:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell yeah

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

If you don't feel like doing that you can tune into the last 30 minutes of it and get the near-full experience, notably the Corso headgear

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I enjoy when Rocky Boiman is part of the announcing crew for a game. Not because of his announcing and commentary talents or lack thereof, but because it means everyone else has to say his name.

ROCKY.

BOIMAN.

He was a good special teams guy for several years for the Titans, glad he’s still around doing something

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I wonder where they store the people that call the Olympics. Like the guy that knows literally everything there is to know about Women's Short-Track Speed-Skating and nothing else.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I wonder where they store the people that call the Olympics. Like the guy that knows literally everything there is to know about Women's Short-Track Speed-Skating and nothing else.

I think someone has to blow a conch that burns their lungs to summon Rowdy Gaines from the depths.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jason sudeikis is a jayhawks fan and people motherfuckin love ted lasso so i'd be surprised if it wasn't him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Noon Saturday gets good ratings because Fox makes sure there’s a good game in the time slot, too. Plus yeah until recently that was always the trash Big Ten or ACC game time on ESPN - again, as a west coast-based fan so rolling out of bed and seeing like Northwestern or NC State on your TV while making breakfast.

I’m sure if Fox could they’d try to put big Pac-12 games into that time slot too for overall ratings, but that seems a step beyond.