Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The 80's had Prince. 80s music loving rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

80s not only ruled, it was the peak of human achievement

just a reminder, everything you say might be contained by the library of congress

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

music now has the same problem as video games -- there's too much of it out there, and enough really good stuff that unless you treat it like a job you'll barely scratch the surface. it fragments the shared cultural experience because it's so easy to get lost in little niche genres and indie stuff, not to mention all the recycled and repurposed music through endless covers, remixes, remixes of remixes, mashups, etc.

it's a good problem for an individual because you'll never run out of new cool stuff, but worse for broad social recognition and overlap.

maybe part of it is just getting older and realizing there's more than just the heavily commercialized stuff, but in my teens and 20s it was pretty easy for me to answer someone who asked what kind of music i listened to. if someone asks me that now, they're probably not gonna recognize anything except the oldies (by which i mean stuff like the cure or radiohead, not what that term meant when i grew up).

e: in 20 years the current scene will seem downright quaint and tiny compared to the bespoke AI generated music streams tailored to individuals, ensuring that you never once listen to the same music as anyone else ever again except for live concerts.

its not just music and video games, it's entertainment. There is no center, no top 100 songs with Casey Casem anymore. Youtube and twitch are fine, but there is nothing bringing people together anymore

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
since we are playing funny songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dmoT9AfoI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

you're right, but not all areas of entertainment are so fragmented. or, at least not movies and streaming shows. those still seem to have some kind of center hanging on. i hear people at work talking about the big budget shows and movies they watch with much more in common than music, books, and games. they also seem to overlap more age groups.

It's kinda weird. How does the watercooler talk go if everyone is watching a different show. I don't know

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not just the total amount but also the access too. It used to be a big deal to get a tape or CD of something I heard about, either because it wasn't available or I didn't have money. Nowadays I get the new album the moment it's released, listen to it, go "eh" and move on. It's kind of a bummer actually.

When I still used to go to the office, I rarely talked about pop culture stuff with anyone. I've heard some people discuss GoT but I never watched it. A big movie used to occasionally come up in casual chats.

GOT ended 4 years ago

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

my experience is people are watching the same shows. people at work occasionally chat about whatever marvel movie they saw, or if they're parents the kids/disney movies their kids watch over and over. at least half the people i know are watching at least one of the new GoT or LotR shows if not both right now. some of my old high school friends and i keep in touch through a discord, and we mostly have different tastes in music and games, but still talk about shows we all watch.

it's not 100% overlap, but compared to music, books, games and stuff, there's way more common ground with TV and movies.

Its not the same, things change. I don't like it, but , I will deal with it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I am kinda annoyed that MTV is older than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i hate 80s music except for like four rap albums from 89, which is basically the 90s at that point. even genres I otherwise love sucked in the 80s.

instead of water cooler talk at work about what was on tv last night, i just talk about MF DOOM to bosses, executives of other companies, janitors etc.

did you know MF DOOM's first recorded appearance, at that time known as Zev Love X, was on 3rd Bass's Cactus Album, released in November 1989?

nope, have anything interesting to say?