Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Creative convention will be happy to have you when the time comes! We're a sleepy forum but I can poke folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
got a weird fungal infection from my last trip to other forums

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
op passed through tartarus and was reborn with the power to post on forums, more and goodly

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i'm enjoying the thoughtful travel log entries OP

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i think the chain probes add narrative zazz to OP's journey

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Travel update:

It's been a while since my last update. I ended up deciding to put all of VGS and its subforums into one update.
There's now a lot of threads to maintain, and many of them demanding a lot of my time. I want to make threads in good faith, not just dump a thread on a subforum and disappear.
But it's been really fun!

I had heard FYAD had set up the perhaps greatest trap I would ever face on my journey. Someone posted that my FYAD thread had been reopened.
I thought for a long time how extremely funny it would be to post in the thread again, but when I thought of the many goons out there who were really supporting my journey, it felt like it would be a bit of a betrayal to them to open myself back up to potentially ruining the entire project.
But then by morning, it was already moved back to their gas chamber.

My PMF thread has somehow gone gold. I think this is my first gold thread, so I'm really happy. This is also the first time I've had stickied threads, and I've had so many of them, so - yeah, what can I say? I'm really happy, haha. I've even inexplicably been made into an IK! It's been a cornucopia of blessings as of late!
I had said not too long ago in a previous travel update, that I wasn't sure I'd ever get any feedback on the thread, and such positive feedback is a real surprise. Hopefully I can keep maintaining the quality of the thread.

VGS is going okay. Not a huge turnout, but I got some people to be called to action, and I started on a personal goal. Despite probably being SA's biggest subforum, it's not a place where you expect people to be wandering around looking at the thread list I suppose.

LP was a bit slow to start, but seems like a very friendly community. They claim to be a Wild West of sorts, and after they made me an IK, I guess I see they do live up to that idea. I scheduled my LP in the future so I could gather goons to participate, and I'm very much looking forward to that. I was really worried because turnout was very slow at the start, but posters have been finding their way to the thread. It's mostly "maybes", but hopefully everyone can make it!

While many posters were afraid of FYAD, it was subforums like WoW:GS that had me the most worried. What could I say here that hadn't been already? After speaking with a mod and recalling my youth, I came up with something. I was really happy to see the locals come in and be extremely welcoming. It was a big investment of time, but I think the thread went well. I'll continue to support the thread for a while as long as there's participation, which there's been a surprisingly large amount of!
I see now why WoW got its own subforum. In addition to having tons of threads, it also seems to have a very active poster base, who even actually wander around outside their megathreads and check on new threads. I was really surprised how lively a place it was!

TMMHMO was slightly easier to find something for with its much broader range of topics. And fortunately, I was able to come up with something that didn't require a huge investment in time, haha. It seems like posters are enjoying the thread, so I think it is a successful one!

MG was much more difficult. If I have freetime and only a phone, I usually just open Awful (Thank you, Awful developers!!!). This is a topic I'm not well-versed in. I can't say the thread was completely unsuccessful, but I'm not sure I can call it much of a success either. I wasn't really willing to make my own phone into a sacrifice for the thread either, haha. Oh well, there were still some good posts there!

My thread in RG is going better than expected. My memory in general is not so great, so I wish I could have written a better OP, but I was able to actually track down some of the stuff I wanted to post about, and I'm really happy to remember these things now. A little troubling that PS3 is considered "retro" now...

My PGS thread only just went up. I'm worried if I set everything up correctly. This is the first time I've had to spend more than time on a thread, but it's fine and it wasn't much.
I had fun with it, and I'll leave the associated server up for at least the month I paid for. I hope it's something that at least one other goons finds use out of, or it'll just basically be a Let's Play.
Not a lot of posts there now, but it's only just now gone up. We'll see what happens.

With 7 subforums (including VGS itself), it took an entire week to get through VGS. It's a nice place. It's a very popular place. I think almost every poster has already visited.
Definitely when you look at other places, you get such a good sense of how much more pleasant it is to discuss video games here. Though, admittingly, finding specific bits of knowledge can be tricky.
But I can say for sure: It's good to see so many friendly goons making quality posts and threads!

I didn't mean to make sure a long travel update or go so long without one, but VGS definitely ate up a lot of my time, haha. And I can't even say it's all behind me!
On top of it, TG and its subforum, TGR, are up next - so it looks like I better keep my schedule somewhat clear for the for some time yet!

naw, the long effort posting is what makes it cool! Still digging these travelogues, needs a dramatic reading done in the style of a bad History channel voiceover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
happy to see you progressing OP! Still hyped to have you in creative convention in a few weeks

I like that the tech questions/bug feedback subforum is last because i feel like you will have thoroughly bug tested the forums on the way down