Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
When you remove eggs from the eg box. do you make sure that the eggs left in the box are in a rotationally symmetrical arrangement so that the weight in the box is distributed evenly, like so

⬤◯⬤
⬤◯⬤

◯⬤⬤
⬤⬤◯

◯◯⬤
⬤◯◯

i do and it means that if my egg box was a truck it wouldn't tip over when going around a corner. but it's not a truck it's jsut a box of eggs in my fridge,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

have you had any health and safety incidents as a result of this

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

Buce posted:

chicken eggs?

affirmative

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

cool(???) thing i just realised

the store near my apartment sells eggs in packs of 9 in a 3x3 square, and it turns out that it's possible for any number of eggs to be arranged symmetrically, which is not true of a pack of 6 eggs. look

⬤⬤⬤    ⬤⬤⬤    ◯⬤⬤
⬤⬤⬤    ⬤◯⬤    ⬤⬤⬤
⬤⬤⬤    ⬤⬤⬤    ⬤⬤◯

⬤⬤⬤    ◯⬤◯    ⬤◯⬤
◯◯◯    ⬤⬤⬤    ◯◯◯
⬤⬤⬤    ◯⬤◯    ⬤◯⬤

◯◯⬤    ◯◯⬤    ◯◯◯
◯⬤◯    ◯◯◯    ◯⬤◯
⬤◯◯    ⬤◯◯    ◯◯◯

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

naem posted:

uh yeah hi just as an fyi here is a screenshot of your post as it appeared on my phone:

:nws:

:nms:
so as you can see the appearance of the asscii symbols you are using to represent the eggs are HIGHLY asymmetrical, just thought you should know and obviously this is very disturbing for some posters

yeah it looked hosed on my screen too but i cou;dnt be bothered to try to fix it. unicode poo poo

so i figured out how you mathematically do it. if you concatenate each row together, like

ABC
DEF
GHI

becomes ABCDEFGHI, and therefore consider the eg box as a 1d array, then you get an array of boolean values where if it is palindromic you have the order 2 rotational symmetry. and you can formulate a odd length palindromic array like

ABCDXDCBA

it doesn't matter whether X is true or false it'll still be palindromic. so then your sequence ABCD can be anything but the number of bits set is always doubled but that means you can generate any even number ofeggs. and then if you set X to true it gives tyou all the odd number of eggs.

if you have an even numbere of places you get

ABCDDCBA

so it's the same but you can only generate the even numbers. therefore you can take out eggs 1 at a time from an odd numbered egg box. but you have to take them out of an even number box 2 at a time or you will unbalance the box, potentially causing an accident

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 3, 2022