Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Bula Vinaka posted:

I seem to remember two projects that are trying to restore the original Star Wars movie from the release print, where they want to scan it, clean it up, grade it, etc., in order to present the original movie in 4K in the best quality possible, without any added digital effects or anything like that. What ever happened to either of those?

Sounds like Team Negative 1’s 4K77 project. The original Star Wars and Return of the Jedi are finished and available, Empire Strikes Back is taking a little while longer due to the additional restoration work that needed to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
The most egregious change Lucas made was removing the laugh track. An entire generation of moviegoers have no idea the Star Wars movies were filmed before a live studio audience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGnKhxhTWg

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWJt1yEd9A

Vic Rattlehead
Mar 13, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

Get it done Lucas Disney, except film Hamill and Ford then de-age them then re-age them with the CGI.

But seriously I hope Lucas has a clause with his movies that he can endlessly gently caress around with them. Waiting for the special edition of the jar jar ones. Unless of course he just thinks those are perfect.

I would be interested in seeing what changes he would make for special editions to the prequels. Attack of the Clones would probably look much better with modern technology.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Naah, the updated Emperor looks like a fatass from that angle, the allergic reaction OG Emperor is way creepier IMO.

Also I think people tend to misinterpret the image a bit. That's not supposed to be his ENTIRE eye socket bulging out, the idea is it's his usual sunken-in eyes that are being covered in more shadows than normal. The Emperor's look is actually more consistent between the movies than they're usually usually given credit for.

So they just did really bad with the lighting in the original or something? how did they not realize how it looked weird and alien instead of withered and old

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

One of the worst edits was retconning the cantina scene so Han doesn't shoot first. Why is it so important to take that away from his character?

A running theory that eventually developed years later was that the Special Editions, since they had been edited from the original releases, would need to be resubmitted to the MPAA for a new rating. There was a possible concern that Star Wars would have potentially NOT gotten a PG rating and might have actually gotten a PG-13 which would have been a little less 'kid friendly' in 1997. So, while this is a minor point, the MPAA is also strange. The act of a 'hero' shooting and killing in an act of 'murder' rather than in a duel or self-defense (even though a gun was pointed at him at the time) might have crossed some sort of line for them. That, or 90s-era parents/media were more concerned about the look of it (ET guns traded for walkie talkies)

Keep in mind, too, that it wasn't until 2005 that either Harry Potter or Star Wars had a theatrical PG-13 released film.

I'd wonder if going and rewatching the 1997 SE versions of the films and the changes could be different with this in mind.

But in 1999, cut that alien in half because it's clear self-defense. Also, 2002 that Mace cutting off Jango's head is fine. Clear self-defense and everyone from Dooku to Boba to even MACE HIMSELF looks at it with disapproving reaction.)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 8, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Vic Rattlehead posted:

I would be interested in seeing what changes he would make for special editions to the prequels. Attack of the Clones would probably look much better with modern technology.

The Phantom Menace that they've been releasing on video since 2001 or so is something of a stealth special edition. It replaced the special effects for Yoda from practical to CGI and extended the pod race, and maybe a couple other things. I think the only way to watch the original theatrical Episode I is to dig out an old VHS.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Wendigee posted:

So they just did really bad with the lighting in the original or something? how did they not realize how it looked weird and alien instead of withered and old

Hmm I guess so. Once you know what they're going for it's not too hard to see it, and they probably just didn't mind so long as it looked spooky and sinister, they obviously didn't want anyone to get a clear look at him (I've never actually given it that much thought but that scene must have been intriguing as gently caress seeing it back in the day, especially since they spring it on the audience out of nowhere).

Also obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYSFgByyQs&t=6s

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
This thread is bringing up that South Park episode where they remastered the pilot. Shoulda just ended the series there

https://youtu.be/4nCmtO2FtF0

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hmm I guess so. Once you know what they're going for it's not too hard to see it, and they probably just didn't mind so long as it looked spooky and sinister, they obviously didn't want anyone to get a clear look at him (I've never actually given it that much thought but that scene must have been intriguing as gently caress seeing it back in the day, especially since they spring it on the audience out of nowhere).
:crab:

since I first saw the movie probably on VHS in the late 80s early 90s I was wondering why palaptine looked so weird.. i figured he was an alien with bug eyes until the sequels.. i just thought it was bad makeup. I never thought it was intentional I just wrote it up to low budget scifi problems.. interesting.. that picture is much more clear than what I am used to seeing. I got the 4k77 version but its so giant i can't stream it to my plex... ill have to watch it on the machine it won't even stream to this laptop without dropping every other frame stupid thing is like 45 GB

That jaba video of him as a man was never on VHS right? pretty sure that scene just didn't exist when I was watching it as a kid. Jabba was way cooler as an irish gangster

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 8, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I not too long ago attended an original 35mm screening of the first Star Wars movie. It was some underground poo poo. Some collector rented out like a tiny movie theater for this and I happened to be a friend of a friend and we had to all keep it on the DL because apparently LucasArts or whoever don’t want these screenings happening. The secrecy around the event probably made it much more fun than the movie actually is.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Was jaba in it as an Irishman it was the scene cut?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Nope that Jabba scene was never in the movie.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nope that Jabba scene was never in the movie.

danke

shoulda been it was cool and han didn't look all weird

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Vegetable posted:

I not too long ago attended an original 35mm screening of the first Star Wars movie. It was some underground poo poo. Some collector rented out like a tiny movie theater for this and I happened to be a friend of a friend and we had to all keep it on the DL because apparently LucasArts or whoever don’t want these screenings happening. The secrecy around the event probably made it much more fun than the movie actually is.
did you applaud when the death star exploded?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

lol rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JediTalentAgent posted:

A running theory that eventually developed years later was that the Special Editions, since they had been edited from the original releases, would need to be resubmitted to the MPAA for a new rating. There was a possible concern that Star Wars would have potentially NOT gotten a PG rating and might have actually gotten a PG-13 which would have been a little less 'kid friendly' in 1997. So, while this is a minor point, the MPAA is also strange. The act of a 'hero' shooting and killing in an act of 'murder' rather than in a duel or self-defense (even though a gun was pointed at him at the time) might have crossed some sort of line for them. That, or 90s-era parents/media were more concerned about the look of it (ET guns traded for walkie talkies)

Keep in mind, too, that it wasn't until 2005 that either Harry Potter or Star Wars had a theatrical PG-13 released film.

I'd wonder if going and rewatching the 1997 SE versions of the films and the changes could be different with this in mind.

But in 1999, cut that alien in half because it's clear self-defense. Also, 2002 that Mace cutting off Jango's head is fine. Clear self-defense and everyone from Dooku to Boba to even MACE HIMSELF looks at it with disapproving reaction.)

The ET thing replacing guns with walkie-talkies was apparently all Spielberg; he felt the guns ruined the tone of the scene.

As a kid seeing this alien thing dying slowly in an xfiles tent was way, way more traumatic tho.