Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

You Are A Elf posted:

They're all just terrible :lmao:

But seriously, there is one good change I can live with, and that's updating Emperor Palpatine's first appearance as a hologram in The Empire Strikes Back to match how he looked in Return of the Jedi. The original hologram looks like an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

Naah, the updated Emperor looks like a fatass from that angle, the allergic reaction OG Emperor is way creepier IMO.

Also I think people tend to misinterpret the image a bit. That's not supposed to be his ENTIRE eye socket bulging out, the idea is it's his usual sunken-in eyes that are being covered in more shadows than normal. The Emperor's look is actually more consistent between the movies than they're usually usually given credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BTW here's the chimp who played the original Emperor's eyes

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Bula Vinaka posted:

I seem to remember two projects that are trying to restore the original Star Wars movie from the release print, where they want to scan it, clean it up, grade it, etc., in order to present the original movie in 4K in the best quality possible, without any added digital effects or anything like that. What ever happened to either of those?

They finished Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, and they have 1080p prototypes for Empire Strikes Back. They're out there.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The most egregious change Lucas made was removing the laugh track. An entire generation of moviegoers have no idea the Star Wars movies were filmed before a live studio audience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGnKhxhTWg

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Vic Rattlehead posted:

I would be interested in seeing what changes he would make for special editions to the prequels. Attack of the Clones would probably look much better with modern technology.

The Phantom Menace that they've been releasing on video since 2001 or so is something of a stealth special edition. It replaced the special effects for Yoda from practical to CGI and extended the pod race, and maybe a couple other things. I think the only way to watch the original theatrical Episode I is to dig out an old VHS.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Wendigee posted:

So they just did really bad with the lighting in the original or something? how did they not realize how it looked weird and alien instead of withered and old

Hmm I guess so. Once you know what they're going for it's not too hard to see it, and they probably just didn't mind so long as it looked spooky and sinister, they obviously didn't want anyone to get a clear look at him (I've never actually given it that much thought but that scene must have been intriguing as gently caress seeing it back in the day, especially since they spring it on the audience out of nowhere).

Also obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYSFgByyQs&t=6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Nope that Jabba scene was never in the movie.