Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I assume it's an attempt to imitate the Netflix binge model, but a lot of cable channels just air giant blocks of shows through out the week. There's not much variety anymore.

IFC and Sundance were independent movie focus, now they air poo poo like MASH re-runs

USA and TNT had a variety of programming. Now it's blocks of poo poo with some movies and sports

MTV used to show music videos. now it's reality programming 24/7.

I think the only channel that really has stayed true to its mission is Turner Classic Movies.

The best OTA channel these days is MeTV. The Saturday Night sci-fi block is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I think it pre-dates Netflix, or at least binge-streaming, cause that's been going on for over a decade. It's just lazy, non-risk-taking behavior to rerun a bunch of popular shows and bet that there's an audience for them as opposed to taking a gamble and making your own programming.

That is for sure. Cable channels have always aired reruns. I was referring to the scheduling itself where a cable channel will just air a couple of 4 hour blocks (for example) of a sitcom. That definitely wasn't prevalent a decade ago. Now that's all they do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Are you my mom? do you catch svengoolie every week?

Yes and Yes.

You Are A Elf posted:

I love Buzzr and Comet channels. They are what Game Show Network and Sci-Fi Channel (before they rebranded to SyFy) used to be before channel drift set in and GSN became the Steve Harvey Family Feud 24/7 network while SyFy became the Harry Potter all-the-time channel.

Those are great channels. You can also watch them both online for free which is pretty cool.

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah the move to digital broadcasting helped a bunch of OTA subchannels pop up that are great.

I love the ones mentioned, but also there's H&I, which airs among other things:
- Walker, Texas Ranger
- MacGyver
- Baywatch
- Star Trek: TOS
- Star Trek: TNG
- Star Trek: DS9
- Star Trek: VOY
- Star Trek: ENT

With those treks being all in a row.

If you get RetroTV, they air Offbeat Cinema, which is superb. We got it when locast was still a thing, but I can't pick it now up even with my monster attic antenna.

H&I is great for that Trek line up every night. It's owned by the same people as MeTV.