Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

LEGENDARY MAGICIAN ROBERT R. REDMAYNE FOUND DEAD

Robert R. Redmayne (71), the famous magician whose illusions awed crowds the world over, has died. Redmayne became known in his early years for the ‘Transmuted Cards’ and ‘Stopped Clock’ illusions, developing others and garnering a large following.

Later in his life, Redmayne retired from the stage, purchasing a decrepit mansion and renovating it. Filled with curiosities of stage magic, it became a pilgrimage site for illusionists from around the world.

“Magicians’ Council” Called To Redmayne Manor

A week before his demise, Redmayne announced that he would send letters to what he called “the Magicians’ Council” - his words for a dozen other stage magicians - for instructions on how to inherit his fortune… of magic tricks. With the letters sent out, Redmayne’s death is suspiciously timely. But what will his left-behind colleagues discover at his manor?

≈ ≈ ≈ Basics ≈ ≈ ≈

There will be 15 players. 12 of you are magicians who have been invited to Redmayne Manor to inherit some of Redmayne’s magic tricks - but 15 people have shown up! While you believe all of you were invited and are famous illusionists, the extra three people are secretly wizards (mafia members) who use real magic, have charmed their way in here, and will kill to protect the truth: Redmayne was an excellent magician, but he was also a wizard, too.

This game is a Gnosia-style Mafia-like. In a Gnosia-style mafia-like, there are no flips; instead, two special roles (here the Psychic and the Dabbler) let you investigate players and reveal the results. Critically, players may (and should!) claim these roles publicly. The scan results of claimed players will appear in the start-of-day post! It’s in everyone’s interest to claim your role if you have it - or counterclaim if you’re a Wizard or Thrall trying to sandbag the town.

The game will be coordinated over my Discord server. Please join if you wish to sign up or observe.

≈ ≈ ≈ Roles ≈ ≈ ≈

The game has the following roles:

Magician [town] (8 players) - You are an accomplished stage magician. It’s a pity someone is trying to kill you.

No special abilities. You win when all the Wizards have died.

Wizard [mafia] (3 players) - You are a wizard, who uses real magic. Now you just need to murder everyone here who doesn’t.

Each night, the wizards select a player to murder. Wizards must kill someone each night and cannot kill one of their own.
You win when there are more Wizards than other players.

Thrall [traitor] (1 player) - You are not a wizard, but you have been mind-controlled by them to help their every aim.

When the wizards win, so do you - regardless of whether you are alive or not! You have no other special abilities.
The wizards do not know who you are (the mind-control spell had to find a suitable target), and you do not know who they are. If the Psychic or Dabbler scans you, you do not register as a Wizard - because you aren’t one.

If you have played Gnosia before, this role is equivalent to that game’s AC Follower.

Psychic [cop] (1 player) - You can read minds, a little. It’ll have to do to save everyone’s skin!
Claiming this role is recommended.

Each night, the Psychic selects a player to scan. The scan will reveal whether they are a Wizard or not. Results will be returned the next morning.

If you have played Gnosia before, this role is equivalent to that game’s Engineer.

Dabbler [flip revealer] (1 player) - The world of real magic is a hobby for you, though you have no magic powers yourself. Your arcane instruments can determine the amount of background magic whizzing around… such as that emitted by living Wizards.
Claiming this role is recommended.

Each night, the Dabbler examines their instruments to determine if the person the group just did in was a Wizard or not. Results will be returned the next morning.

If you have played Gnosia before, this role is equivalent to that game’s Doctor. No relation to the regular mafia role of the same name.

Improviser [doctor] (1 player) - You’re an expert at setting up your magic tricks on the fly. Pulling off a vanishing act to keep someone from being murdered is a new and hair-raising use of your skills, but hey, whatever works, right?
Claiming this role will get you killed.

Each night, the Improviser chooses a player to protect (other than themself). If the Wizards would try to kill that player, the Improviser’s magic trick will bamboozle them and the targeted player will get away.

If this occurs, the targeted player will be notified privately they were targeted by the Wizards, but not who saved them.

If you have played Gnosia before, this role is equivalent to that game’s Guardian Angel.

≈ ≈ ≈ Hauntings ≈ ≈ ≈

Death is not the end. When a player dies - whether murdered by a wizard or swarmed by a howling mob - they become a Ghost, inhabiting Redmayne Manor.

Any player who becomes a Ghost will be placed into an unconfirmed masonry with another living player, at random (favoring players who are not already being haunted). In this masonry, the two of you can speak freely… or you can just pester the living player, if that’s more your style.

A Ghost may also manifest, letting them post one more post in the thread after they die. Once they do, they pass on and are out of the game - but not before they’ve said their piece where everyone can hear it.

Ghosts may not vote in their final post.

≈ ≈ ≈ Days and Nights ≈ ≈ ≈

Days will be 48 hours long, starting and ending at the stroke of midnight Pacific Daylight Time. Voting is on a plurality basis: there is no hammer, but at the end of the day, whoever has the most votes is done away with by a mob of magicians (lunched), on suspicion of being a wizard.

When a player bites it, the game will not reveal if they were a wizard or not. That’s the Dabbler’s job.

(In the event of a tie, a coin flip will decide who dies. If no one votes at all, nothing happens.)

Nights will be 24 hours long, also starting and ending at the stroke of midnight. During this time:

• The Wizards should submit a target to kill.
• Anyone who has claimed the role of Psychic should submit a target to scan. If their claim is a false one, they should also submit a fake result (Wizard / Nonwizard) to return.
• The Improviser should submit a target to protect.
• Anyone who has claimed the role of Dabbler does not need to submit a target, as there is only one possible dead person at a time. If they are falsely claiming the role, however, they should submit a fake result (Wizard / Nonwizard) to return.

Once the day dawns again, anyone who has claimed Psychic or Dabbler will have their results (or 'results') included in the start-of-day post. This happens even if the Wizards murder them!

Once only 7 players remain, days will become only 24 hours long. There will be an announcement in the thread when this happens.

≈ ≈ ≈ Mafia Rules ≈ ≈ ≈

1. Do not quote, screencap, etc. any messages received privately, until the game is over.
This includes private channels, DMs, etc.

2. Don't edit your posts in gameplay channels, or the thread.

3. If you are out of the game, don't talk in the thread, or any gameplay channel other than the observer channel.

4. Activity guarantee: You must post a minimum of three meaningful posts in a game day. A meaningful post contributes to the discussion or gameplay in some way, including explanations, reads, analysis, etc. As a rule of thumb, if you've written a paragraph of text, it probably counts.

≈ ≈ ≈ Calendar ≈ ≈ ≈

1. Day 1 (The game begins.)
  2. Night 1 (SporkChan set upon by a mob.)
  3. Day 2 (Cloacamazing! mauled by a phantom white tiger.)
  4. Night 2 (Opopanax set upon by a mob.)
  5. Day 3 (CapitalistPig found sawn in half.)
  6. Night 3 (Jadecore stabbed by a masked mob.)
  7. Day 4 (Bifauxnen found dead and levitating.)
  8. Night 4 (Lotus Aura stabbed, Agatha Christie style [by a mob].)
  9. Day 5 (Green Wing disappeared playing Gnosia.)
  10. Night 5 (Somberbrero set upon by a mob, in graphic detail.)
  11. Day 6 (CCKeane turned into a painting!)
  12. Finale (AnonymousNarcotics set upon by a mob; Tired Moritz struck by lightning. The Wizards triumph.)

≈ ≈ ≈ Players ≈ ≈ ≈

Living

• b-minus1 Magician 🎩
          Idle Amalgam, Somberbrero: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • Idle Amalgam Wizard :science:
  • saladscooper Wizard :science:
          Idle Amalgam: "Not a Wizard" 🎩 / Somberbrero: "Wizard!" :science:

Ghosts

• CCKeane Magician 🎩
          Idle Amalgam: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • Cloacamazing! [she/her] (Mauled by a phantom white tiger Night 1) Magician 🎩
  • AnonymousNarcotics [they/them] (Killed by an angry mob in the Finale) Magician 🎩
          Idle Amalgam: "Wizard!" :science:
  • Lotus Aura [they/their/them] (Stabbed by a quiet mob Day 4) Wizard :science:
          Green Wing: "Wizard!" :science:
  • SporkChan (Killed by an angry mob Day 1) Magician 🎩
          Green Wing, Lotus Aura: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • Tired Moritz (Zapped with lightning by a wizard in the Finale) Magician 🎩
          Idle Amalgam: "Not a Wizard" 🎩

Dead

• Bifauxnen [surprise me] (Levitated to their doom Night 3) Magician 🎩
          Somberbrero: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • CapitalistPig [He/Him] (Sawn in half by an unknown assailant Night 2) Improviser :angel:
  • Green Wing [she/her] (Disappeared playing Gnosia Night 5) Dabbler 👩‍🔬
          Somberbrero: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • Jadecore (Stabbed in the hedge maze by a mob Day 3) Magician 🎩
          Green Wing: "Not a Wizard" 🎩  /  Lotus Aura: "Wizard!" :science:
  • Opopanax [He/him/opop] (Killed by an angry mob Day 2) Thrall :devil:
          Green Wing, Lotus Aura: "Not a Wizard" 🎩
  • Somberbrero [He/him] (Killed by an angry mob Day 5) Psychic 🕵️

Spectators: Hal Insandenza (unspoiled), Ignatius M. Meen, My Second Re-Reg (unspoiled), Sandwolf
Co-Moderator: Shellception

:ghost: The game has concluded. Thank you to all who played. :ghost:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Abracadabra, baby

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Two games at once!!! Again!!! Woooo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

wait, nvm, this is gnosia-adjacent

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I was killed too early in Gnosia 3 to even make a spreadsheet, let alone clog it up or misinterpret it. Plus in this game I'll get to make a last post bemoaning my untimely demise!

Sign me up!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Sign me up

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I will play, this game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Whoa cool what's the improviser role do that's the role I got

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CCKeane posted:

Whoa cool what's the improviser role do that's the role I got

The Improviser is equivalent to the doctor in standard Mafia, or the Guardian Angel role in Gnosia.

Roles will be given out after the game starts.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Oh, oh this looks very cool. I was going to take a mafia break but this looks like a delightful puzzle of a slightly different ilk. I'd like to play.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I did know some magic tricks back when I was in elementary school, that should be enough to qualify me, right?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd like spoiled obs, please.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This looks like a good game for me to get in on now that I am home.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Here's hoping I actually get to be town for once in one of these Gnosia setups

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yes I would like to play this

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I am a co-mod.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
You know what, alright. I'll play.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Jadecore posted:

You know what, alright. I'll play.

Happy to see you back!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Hello, I would like unspoiled observers, please. :)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Hello, I would like unspoiled observers, please. :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Sure, in.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
This still isn't filled up. I guess that means I'm in.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Idle Amalgam posted:

This still isn't filled up. I guess that means I'm in.

Look at that kick-rear end new av!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Shellception posted:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Shellception posted:

I've been made up all shiny and chrome. Now keeping the avatar lol... we will see how long that lasts.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'll play.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'll play my first gnosia game!!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Perfect! Just join the Discord and we'll be all set.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 14, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:drac: All 15 are here. The game will begin at midnight. :drac:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Day 1

The first omen was that no one could leave.

The lush, bestatued grounds of Redmayne Manor were silent in the night air, lit by the crescent moon. Nothing seemed to guard against any exit… but as one magician discovered, any attempt to leave simply resulted in them walking into the grounds on the other side of the manor’s domain.

The news went down poorly at breakfast the next day. There were threats. Hurled accusations. And three shadowy figures watched, hidden in plain sight, as the mood between the assembled magicians became, at first, sullen. Then panicked.

Then, murderous.

The game has begun! You have 48 hours to cast your vote.

Scan Results posted:

When players publicly claim the role of Psychic or Dabbler, their results will be posted here.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
You know, it's obviously petty compared to the fact that we're trapped here, but the fact that Redmayne never bothered to replace his waffle iron before his death and it's just sitting there in the kitchen, completely nonfunctional, taunting anyone who might be tempted by it into wanting a waffle? Frustrating in its own right.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ah grand to meet you, fellow magicians

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Jadecore posted:

You know, it's obviously petty compared to the fact that we're trapped here, but the fact that Redmayne never bothered to replace his waffle iron before his death and it's just sitting there in the kitchen, completely nonfunctional, taunting anyone who might be tempted by it into wanting a waffle? Frustrating in its own right.

I've always been a pancake lad myself

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Game starts/ends at 8am for me, huh? Okay that's my favourite midnight now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Day, not game. Can tell I just woke up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh thank god I'm town for once

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The only type of mafia game where this post is not suspicious on Day 1: I'm town! And vanilla to boot!

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

My friends! My colleagues, my darlings, my confidants. Truly, it is a delight to walk among such luminaries of illumination. Such masters of mystique! It is of, the most Captivating, Confounding, Crowd-pleasing, Crown-wearing, Crane-training (I train birds) Cassandra! None believe my prophecies - so I make them so!

Aha. Or, rather, that's my patter. It's all jolly good fun. Oh, we're locked in? Drat.

...you know, I did bring a little something to pass the time. You see, I dabble. (for the avoidance of doubt, I am formally claiming dabbler)

Just a bit of fun, I thought. But these instruments are getting awfully energetic here in this manor...mayhaps I shall keep one eye on them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I am going to make the statue of liberty disappear. Fear me!

Bif is town. Opop is probably scum because he has a wizards beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm town :)