Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

is this thread going to be a cool thread about the biology of perception and cognition, or just a :2bong: thing?

I hope it doubles as a perception/cognition thread and also neurodivergernce thread

no intention to make it about tasting the rainbow cos you took sufficient acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

for me the biggest problem was executive dysfunction

I totally get this, and it feels fuckin humiliating trying to explain to people how you didn’t do something that is extremely straightforward and simple

Ciaphas posted:

i am not a medical professional but lol that's me & my adhd described to a fuckin T. get u a psychiatrist appt echi

funnily enough I emailed a dr who may have been helpful and he gave me the email of a clinical psychologist who may be able to help diagnose something .. but lol are you surprised to learn I haven’t gotten around to emailing them? lmao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My perception is great thanks to laser eye surgery. I didn't read the rest of this crap but if I did rest assured I would've seen it clearly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

is this thread going to be a cool thread about the biology of perception and cognition, or just a :2bong: thing?

I guess it's going to be pretty subjective

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

consciousness adjacent, one of the weird brain things I love is the "mandela effect", wherein enough people misremember things or conflate actual differences with a conspiracy or timeline divergence or something like that, the origin being people thinking that nelson mandela died in prison in the 1980s and banding together on the proto-internet to claim they were from a timeline wherein he actually did die in prison and that they were now living in an incorrect universe

another notable example is people who are insistent that the berenstain bears series of childrens books was always actually berenstein bears (note the subtle spelling difference) and that something has happened to the timeline to cause this change

all of this is clearly just your brain trying to rationalize misremembering things with a healthy dose of collective paranoia, but it's interesting nonetheless. eg for a long time I was certain that a bunch of scenes in star wars: attack of the clones were added for home video but it turned out that they weren't actually in the imax cut (which I saw in theatres) for physical film format limitation reasons but they were in the 35mm cut and the home video cut (sourced from the 35mm)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i have adhd too and i managed to get a mortgage and hold down a job unmedicated, it was just incredibly loving stressful echi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

maybe. probably. when I read “driven to distraction”, the book just resonated with me constantly

there’s defo high correlation with adhd and depression, and over the last year or so, I’ve slowly concluded that I am not as smart or special as I once believed, and the reality is that I’ll probably be a perpetual failure, because I can only work on something I find interesting until the inevitable time I find it no longer interesting. crime committer is the latest victim. thrust game next in line

defo need to get my self sorted by a professional rather than self diagnoseses

again, this sounds like depression. you’re beating yourself up for not endlessly doing something you don’t enjoy. people start and abandon things all the time, but depressed people are hard on themselves and use it like “confirmation” that they are not worthwhile

I was like that for years before i finally found medication and cognitive tools that help me manage my depression.

go easy on yourself, and be open minded to trying things to pull yourself out of that rut. it takes time and work to overcome it. it’s an illness and needs to be managed as such

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve got brain issues and they suck.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been like psychosomatically thinking about adhd a lot because many of my friends have it, but i don't

i haven't had the same kind of struggles they describe, but similar ones in the context of depression (lack of motivation especially)

i've been working on depression for a long time and i know exercise works really well for staving off the feelings, the hardest part is getting started

i know people dont wanna hear that but it's seriously so good for that range of mental issues in that it severely distracts you enough into forgetting about them for like a day or two

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmm yeah that does keep coming up again and again. maybe there is something to it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a hunch that, for adhd people, the benefits of exercise are reduced or non existent

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a hunch that, for adhd people, the benefits of exercise are reduced or non existent

that would be validating because while exercise is cool and good, it does jack poo poo for my mental health

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a lot of adhd symptoms but my official diagnosis is bipolar type 1. I also have generalized anxiety which my doc says contraindicates getting adhd meds. that said I have everything pretty well under control at this point except I wish I could concentrate better or get motivation for anything but my current hyperfocus (pinball atm, ask me anything)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Silver Alicorn posted:

not for me. pedicab saved my life. having a hamster wheel to exercise and make money and friends with was critical to healthily managing my symptoms. i start every day with a two mile walk just to clear my head, set objectives and do other mindfulness exercises. i physically cannot sit still. all my meditation space comes from motion. otherwise i cant concentrate

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

exercise really helps me wrangle in the wigglebrains. gotta burn off some of that bottomless pit of energy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

exercise does not do *that* much for me, i walk a lot, but extending beyond that does only one thing: better sleep. which is however in and of itself a great thing.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a lot of adhd symptoms but my official diagnosis is bipolar type 1. I also have generalized anxiety which my doc says contraindicates getting adhd meds. that said I have everything pretty well under control at this point except I wish I could concentrate better or get motivation for anything but my current hyperfocus (pinball atm, ask me anything)

afaik anxiety is pretty common with ADHD, and can be kinda paradoxically controlled with stimulants, but if not, guanfacine or propranolol have been really effective for me at quelling the side effects with stimulants. i have to titrate stimulants very slowly tho and stimulant "vacations" (to reset/lower tolerance) aren't really an option for me. it takes more work and observation, but it's doable imo, but i'm not you or your doctor, so take ymmv of course.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno, are folks knowledgable in the biology of perception and cognition going to use it to answer any meaningful questions? because i've never seen them do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i dunno, are folks knowledgable in the biology of perception and cognition going to use it to answer any meaningful questions? because i've never seen them do that

??

cognitive science is a real thing that in fact does answer lots of questions. idk what you count as meaningful but

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the mind is what the brain does, you say? cool! let's use science's burgeoning knowledge of how brains work to answer some of these long-standing questions in the theory of mind! wait what do you mean you're only qualified to talk about these five genes in particular

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

??

cognitive science is a real thing that in fact does answer lots of questions. idk what you count as meaningful but

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm not saying cognitive science is useless, i think it's cool actually. but i thought this was a thread on consciousness. does cog sci have answers?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i thought this was a thread on consciousness

i think that was part of Sargebushes question

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

well we don't need another thread for "i'm old and have sadbrains"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

It's party time get your drugs out
If you want to make love get your muffs out
It's party time get your drugs out
Do you wanna make love to a sad old man?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

posting cops are here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you’re always free to not post

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you ask me we need more threads

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

big agree

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

afaik anxiety is pretty common with ADHD, and can be kinda paradoxically controlled with stimulants, but if not, guanfacine or propranolol have been really effective for me at quelling the side effects with stimulants. i have to titrate stimulants very slowly tho and stimulant "vacations" (to reset/lower tolerance) aren't really an option for me. it takes more work and observation, but it's doable imo, but i'm not you or your doctor, so take ymmv of course.

I’m gonna ask about the adhd stuff when I see my dr next month

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ah i thought this was the sadbrains/divergent thread apologies for missing the context

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Share Bear posted:

ah i thought this was the sadbrains/divergent thread apologies for missing the context

no one knows what this thread is, post wahtever you want, thread topics are a fake idea

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the thread is what the posts make it

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Anyone who is interested in consciousness and likes sci-fi should read "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. Watts also has a great blog and recently(ish) posted something relevant to this thread:

quote:

I’ve recently finished a remarkable book called The Hidden Spring, by the South African neuroscientist Mark Solms. It claims to solve the Hard Problem of consciousness. I don’t think it succeeds in that; but it’s made me rethink a lot about how minds work.

Solm’s book weighs in at around 400 pages, over eighty of which consist of notes, references, and an appendix. It’s a bit of a slog in places, a compulsive trip in others, full of information theory and Markov Blankets and descriptions of brain structures like the periaqueductal grey (which is a tube of grey matter wrapped around the cerebral aqueduct in the midbrain, if that helps any). But if I’m reading it right, his argument comes down to the following broad strokes:

Consciousness exists as a delivery platform for feelings;
Feelings (Hunger, desire, fear, etc) exist as metrics of need;
Needs only exist pursuant to a persistence/survival imperative (i.e., it doesn’t matter if you’re about to starve unless you want to stay alive).

So if Solms is right, without a survival drive there are no feelings, and without feelings there’s no need for consciousness. You don’t get consciousness without getting a survival drive preloaded as standard equipment. Which means that all my whingeing about Skynet waking up and wanting to survive is on pretty thin ice (although it also means that Skynet wouldn’t wake up in the first place).

I’m not sure I buy it. Then again, I’m not writing it off, either.

Seems like a fairly neat explanation for the phenomenon to me.

edit: link to blog post in full: https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=10225

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pypV-JPU1k

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Anyone who is interested in consciousness and likes sci-fi should read "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. Watts also has a great blog and recently(ish) posted something relevant to this thread:

Seems like a fairly neat explanation for the phenomenon to me.

edit: link to blog post in full: https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=10225

lizard brain gonna lizard brain, everything is structurally on top for a reason

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

no one knows what this thread is, post wahtever you want, thread topics are a fake idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Share Bear posted:

oh it is, it’s also consciousness etc. just brain poo poo

rotor posted: