Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

You forgot Quintana who's on the Cardinals and had an absolute career renaissance this year, 2.93 ERA 2.99 FIP 165 IP.

looking at some dylan cease stats and becoming The Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gently caress lists you're getting :words:

This postseason feels like it has a lot of Big Narrative opportunities for the Dodgers. Getting bounced by the Padres would burst the bubble of the Dodgers' invincibility against them. It would be a huge deal in San Diego. Losing to SD would feels worse than beating them would feel good.

The Mets are asymmetric in the other way to me, beating them bolsters the Dodgers season narrative by opening the possibility of beating three different 100-win teams enroute to the top. Losing to them would suck mostly because it'd be an early exit which is definitely underachieving for a 111-win year, but it wouldn't be as embarrassing as losing to San Diego.

Atlanta in the NLCS would feel like a rubber match after the last two years. I have several good friends who are Braves fans so this feels amplified to me. Major upside and downside to that matchup.

If the Dodgers end up facing the Cardinals this year it means they are riding some Pujols-infused devil magic, which is terrifying and would unearth burred trauma from last decade.

I do not have strong feelings about Philly despite how much I despised them after '08 & '09.

Houston of course, would be the ultimate grudge match, like Atlanta but supercharged. A win would make it essentially the perfect season. It would almost be a kind of closure. A loss would haunt worse than 2017. Absolutely terrifying matchup for the stress it would induce regardless of outcome.

The Yankees, well a loss would be like a rite of passage as I've never seen that matchup in my life despite "losing the WS to the Yankees" being a comically frequent state for the Dodgers historically.

I have come all the way around to "gently caress the Tampa owner specifically for the way he runs that franchise" so that would be annoying.

Toronto, Seattle, and Cleveland would all have great "team of destiny" vibes if any of them won. If one of these teams wins, I think I'd enjoy it more if they defeated Not the Dodgers.3

also voting in the poll feels like a terrible idea to me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the braves just won last year and have our core players locked down for the next Decade of Terror for the rest of baseball to deal with, so I'm pretty ok with anyone not the dodgers or mets winning this year

but it'd be a whole lot cooler if we did

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I will root against the Cardinals right up until they play HOU or NYY, then I will morph into a baseballs best fan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m genuinely trying not to phrase this like a big dumb homer, but I don’t get how an LA vs HOU WS is some big grudge rematch aside from the surface narrative.

- The roster is almost entirely different from 2017, with only Altuve, Bregman, Gurriel, McCullers and JV returning. 80% of your active roster consists of guys who were either on other teams or not yet in the majors in 2017
- Dusty wasn’t managing the 2017 team
- Brent Strom left the team in 2021
- Luhnow is gone

A 2022 rematch loss would only be a big gently caress You to that IF core, McCullers (JV’s been basically silent about the whole thing iirc, plus he was a trade deadline move that season), and part of the front office. And even then, you’re missing the biggest single piece of vocal LA/HOU animosity and unrepentant attitude in Correa.

Like if this was 2018 I’d absolutely get the grudge match aspect, but in 2022 with so many of those 2017 dudes scattered to the wind or fired? If I were an LA fan I don’t think I’d feel any extra vindication at all. Maybe if Correa was still on the team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m genuinely trying not to phrase this like a big dumb homer, but I don’t get how an LA vs HOU WS is some big grudge rematch aside from the surface narrative.

- The roster is almost entirely different from 2017, with only Altuve, Bregman, Gurriel, McCullers and JV returning. 80% of your active roster consists of guys who were either on other teams or not yet in the majors in 2017
- Luhnow is gone

A 2022 rematch loss would only be a big gently caress You to that IF core, McCullers (JV’s been basically silent about the whole thing iirc, plus he was a trade deadline move that season), and part of the front office. And even then, you’re missing the biggest single piece of vocal LA/HOU animosity and unrepentant attitude in Correa.

Like if this was 2018 I’d absolutely get the grudge match aspect, but in 2022 with so many of those 2017 dudes scattered to the wind or fired? If I were an LA fan I don’t think I’d feel any extra vindication at all. Maybe if Correa was still on the team.

the houston astros organization will forever bear the mark of the Can Bangers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it’s really that simple

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Houston is the new villain of baseball and that doesn’t change unless someone else steps up to take the mantle.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you can't unbang a can

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, that’s fair.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wish the Astros were as big of a villain as the Yankees.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

You better believe the media will hype that poo poo up too. Records or matchups aside, I'm sure many fans of both teams are hoping the other gets eliminated before the WS.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

They’re far less enjoyable because at least when the Yankees dominate their fans own it and lean into it and they have the decency to win a title (usually).

It’s way less fun when no one wants to play the villain and the team loses to some random NL team on a streak or cheats.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

also voting in the poll feels like a terrible idea to me

Yeah I absolutely refuse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you want to pick a team, just vote in the poll!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Preemptively apologizing to all teams I want to win because it means you're going out as quickly as possible. I didn't realize all the opening WC games are all in one place, no travel at all. Blows to be the away team I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lets go yankees.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
When are post-season rosters announced? I assume that'll be what tells us whether the Jays are going with Stripling or Berrios for a potential game 3.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Oh man, please have it be Stripling.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Patrick Spens posted:

Let's go the Blue Jays!

:hmmyes:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
hoping oli marmol is smart enough to not start adam wainwright in the 2022 mlb playoffs presented by capital one, what's in your wallet

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lets go yankees.

:hmmno:

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rooting for the Phillies to take that series I guess cause I have no fear of them and great fear of Pujols/Yadi/Waino storybook devil magic.

As a sometimes cardinals fan, I am legit impressed with their internal PED program. It has kept Yadi and wainwright at a high performance level and resurrected pujols.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hand Knit posted:

When are post-season rosters announced? I assume that'll be what tells us whether the Jays are going with Stripling or Berrios for a potential game 3.

Do they have to set it right away? I assumed they'd choose between Stripling and Gausman based on whether they win game 1. If they do they'll probably want to see if they can save Gausman to face Verlander.

Regardless it looks like the Mariners are rolling out Castillo, Ray, and if necessary Gilbert. I'm not confident to be honest. I think the M's have a slight pitching advantage due to their bullpen and have better defense, but they haven't been able to hit lately and will be on the road. I hope I'm proven wrong, it'd be a shame to miss out on playoff baseball at TMobile Park.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 6, 2022

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Spencer Strider looking good so far for NLDS return but needs a full mound session to get cleared.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Luhnow is gone

They're mad as gently caress OP and have been holding on to this for 5 years. You're not. That's the difference.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Springer taught the Jays how to cheat i wouldn't be mad

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

As the video that was shown earlier in this thread, your team is cheating. They just haven't been caught yet.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hand Knit posted:

They have to lock them in by 10 et tomorrow, so then.

But no fuckin way they trust berrios over strip at this point

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays taught themselves to cheat - the man in white lives.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Houston is the new villain of baseball and that doesn’t change unless someone else steps up to take the mantle.

Mustached Ohtani in pinstripes :eyepop:.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

thehoodie posted:

They have to lock them in by 10 et tomorrow, so then.

But no fuckin way they trust berrios over strip at this point

I would question their mental health if Berrios starts any of the WC games

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Patrick Spens posted:

Oh man, please have it be Stripling.

Comedy option: throw Kikuchi against his former team

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Is it correct that only one of tomorrow’s WC games is on MLB.tv?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rooting ranks

1. goms bitch
2. everyone else
3. Dodgers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

They're mad as gently caress OP and have been holding on to this for 5 years. You're not. That's the difference.
I think the Astros would still be the highest stakes matchup even if we never found out about The Cans.

2017 still felt like "the one that got away" before the revelation of the banging scheme because duh, that series was incredibly close and went 7 games. The Astros are also the only other franchise winning consistently over this span, so there is some degree of meta-narrative around those two teams as the dominant ones of this era. A second WS match up could end up being the thing that makes one stand out above the other historically when people look back on this period of baseball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I think the Astros would still be the highest stakes matchup even if we never found out about The Cans.

2017 still felt like "the one that got away" before the revelation of the banging scheme because duh, that series was incredibly close and went 7 games. The Astros are also the only other franchise winning consistently over this span, so there is some degree of meta-narrative around those two teams as the dominant ones of this era. A second WS match up could end up being the thing that makes one stand out above the other historically when people look back on this period of baseball.

Yeah but...

u mad bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I refuse to change my cable, because changing it back is a huge horrible pain in the rear end.

What streaming service will let me easily watch ALL the playoff games?