Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh look MLB hosed up again

https://twitter.com/tarajeffrey/status/1577796102438387712?s=61&t=rJNO6ab-uwq119mtc8UFfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gently caress lists you're getting :words:

This postseason feels like it has a lot of Big Narrative opportunities for the Dodgers. Getting bounced by the Padres would burst the bubble of the Dodgers' invincibility against them. It would be a huge deal in San Diego. Losing to SD would feels worse than beating them would feel good.

The Mets are asymmetric in the other way to me, beating them bolsters the Dodgers season narrative by opening the possibility of beating three different 100-win teams enroute to the top. Losing to them would suck mostly because it'd be an early exit which is definitely underachieving for a 111-win year, but it wouldn't be as embarrassing as losing to San Diego.

Atlanta in the NLCS would feel like a rubber match after the last two years. I have several good friends who are Braves fans so this feels amplified to me. Major upside and downside to that matchup.

If the Dodgers end up facing the Cardinals this year it means they are riding some Pujols-infused devil magic, which is terrifying and would unearth burred trauma from last decade.

I do not have strong feelings about Philly despite how much I despised them after '08 & '09.

Houston of course, would be the ultimate grudge match, like Atlanta but supercharged. A win would make it essentially the perfect season. It would almost be a kind of closure. A loss would haunt worse than 2017. Absolutely terrifying matchup for the stress it would induce regardless of outcome.

The Yankees, well a loss would be like a rite of passage as I've never seen that matchup in my life despite "losing the WS to the Yankees" being a comically frequent state for the Dodgers historically.

I have come all the way around to "gently caress the Tampa owner specifically for the way he runs that franchise" so that would be annoying.

Toronto, Seattle, and Cleveland would all have great "team of destiny" vibes if any of them won. If one of these teams wins, I think I'd enjoy it more if they defeated Not the Dodgers.3

also voting in the poll feels like a terrible idea to me

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it’s really that simple

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

They're mad as gently caress OP and have been holding on to this for 5 years. You're not. That's the difference.
I think the Astros would still be the highest stakes matchup even if we never found out about The Cans.

2017 still felt like "the one that got away" before the revelation of the banging scheme because duh, that series was incredibly close and went 7 games. The Astros are also the only other franchise winning consistently over this span, so there is some degree of meta-narrative around those two teams as the dominant ones of this era. A second WS match up could end up being the thing that makes one stand out above the other historically when people look back on this period of baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

Deciding a division champ on a tiebreaker is incredibly lame. Bring back game 163!
make the Mets and Braves play a best of 3 triple header tiebreaker today imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

MLB.tv app is on a shitload of devices, so you can watch with a Roku or Smart TV or Apple TV or Playstation or whatever.
not unless they're either outside the US/Canada or have a VPN setup at the router level

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

lol there's a baseball game in an hour. I'm still having my morning coffee

I work remotely so it's not a problem for me but man
I am having some friends over to watch the last baseball game today.

They likely won't arrive until an hour after the game starts because that's the soonest they could leave work.

lol mlb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

my MLB.TV access via the T-Mobile thing seems to have been suspended at least on my home device, says I now need to register a paid TV partner. wild that MLB is so intent on cutting access off to a yet another pretty decent chunk of supporters
has nothing to do with your T-Mobile deal. MLB.tv is blacked out in the postseason

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

normal defensive positioning there instead of playing in probably gets the cardinals out of the inning with a tie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

If someone else makes this post I would assume it's a poorly workshopped Dodgers joke.
ironically the friends in question are Padres fans

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

2 road wins already today lets make it 3

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

i mean, even if you're involved in it, i think it beats the one-game sudden-death thing, that was just agony
That’s what made it so great when your team wasn’t participating in it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Padres could make this an ideal first round for me tomorrow :pray:
hell same

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/benverlander/status/1578147243902742528?s=61&t=_fs98IOFaZwmU3wEJh4jCw

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 9, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Go figure the brother of JV would pick the Stros
More impressed by his perfect 0-3 so far. Apparently his predictions last year were just as wrong.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jokes on them I live in San Diego county and already bought tickets

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

well known douchebag continues to be douchebag even once his performance doesn't convince people to look the other way anymore

edit: :lol: There Is Always A Tweet

https://twitter.com/AChapman_105/status/1412390484505399299

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

is his career done? He's been pretty poo poo for 3 years now and at 34 that seems like that should be it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m sure it’s always been hard being Corey’s Brother

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Divisional matchups in the postseason are great. Dodgers and Braves are clearly favored, but all the pressure is on them to perform when it counts.
Big narrative power in this Dodgers Padres series no doubt. The Dodgers swept SD in 2020 but that was in Texas without fans. The crowds this time will be hype. Padres have looked frankly intimidated by the Dodgers a lot in recent years, a postseason upset would really change the psychic imbalance between the two.

I will be interested to see how many Dodgers fans are at the games in San Diego with the ticket sale limits the Padres attempted to impose. I’m going Friday and I expect there are more SD local Dodger fans than the team might expect.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the Padres upset the Dodgers they had better go all the way. Gotta maintain the streak of every WS winner since 2016 eliminating the Dodgers on their way to the top.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin have you ever watched a postseason baseball game before??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They were concerned because Musgrove's average spin rate was up by about 5% from his last 5 games of the regular season. Sticky stuff is what raises the spin rate. Slippery stuff is for making the ball rotate less and flutter more. Both are effective in fooling batters by altering the normal course of a baseball. If you're using sticky stuff, there's gonna be residue on your hands and the baseballs, regardless of how much wiping you do. Umps checked him after every inning. Buck checked baseballs and bats himself. Then the umps checked him thoroughly after Buck called him out. Nothing.

The whole thing reeks of desperation. Show me the video evidence of him going to his ear on each pitch. Prove to me that his 5% increase in spin rate is from him using a foreign substance and not just from an adrenaline boost of pitching in the most important game of his career. The evidence isn't there, or if it is, I sure haven't seen it yet. All I saw was a shiny ear to go along with a shiny face. If there was a foreign substance on his ear, it sure looked slippery and not sticky, which would have the opposite effect of what Buck claimed Musgrove was doing.

I bet that if Musgrove pitches in Dodger stadium, we're going to be hearing cheater chants from the crowd. Buck opened a can of worms out of pathetic desperation that might end up unfairly hurting Musgrove's career and the reputation of the sport of baseball as a whole.
Eno backs it up with some numbers, he was just amped up

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/1579285866589011968?s=20&t=Lg1c3hhlmE_gPBL_b3rubQ

Musgrove would presumably start game 4 of the DS which will be in San Diego if it happens.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

You don't think he would go game 3? Sunday to Friday is normal rest

e: I guess game 1 would have to be somebody new though so n/m
Game 1 will be Clevinger, then Darvish is on normal rest ofr Game 2.

Game 3 is also in San Diego, if they wanted to swap Musgrove and Snell they could do that I guess but either way Musgrove is unlikely to pitch in LA this series. Maybe the send him on Friday and he's available out of the pen on Sunday if it goes 5?

But I think they just stick with the same order for Darvish/Snell/Musgrove

also, why haven't they announced game times for Friday? There are only two games that day and both are guaranteed to happen. One's on the east coast between two east coast teams the other west coast between two west coast teams, it shouldn't be hard to confirm the start times already.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 10, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

white pre-FA Braves get close-to-market deals, non-white pre-FA Braves get criminally lowball deals

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

$12.5 million AAV is great for a guy with that talent
he's pre-arb right now so the first 5 years of the extension are buying out years that would have been below-market anyway

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The more comfortable & financially stable your family is, the more willing you will be to hold out for a market-rate deal or reach free agency. Conversely, the more precarious your upbringing and your family is, the more likely you are to accept the first offer a team makes, even if it is a massive under-pay for your talent. The Braves are happy to exploit this with their international players, which is why there has been this pattern with their extensions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

No one's criticizing the players. Its the team that took advantage of them.
And the team specifically seems to take the most advantage of international players, which adds a layer of ugliness to the whole thing.

This Strider deal isn't particularly egregious for all the reasons mentioned. He's a pitcher with just 1 year under his belt, there's injury risk, it's buying out a mostly pre-FA years, etc. And that tracks with the trend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

The old theory was that it was a cycle. Players get fed up of playing for a perfectionist drill sergeant type and respond well to a more relaxed, approachable leader. Eventually, though, the nice-guy manager would lose the respect of the team and they would need a hardass disciplinarian to come in and set standards and demand accountability again.

No idea if that’s still the case. It seems like the platonic ideal of a modern manager is a guy who 1) does whatever the front office says, 2) can handle the media, and 3) gets along tolerably with the players.
the platonic ideal of a modern manager is Dave Roberts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Good question, Torrens is more of a DH. Guessing if Cal is hurt Casali becomes the main.

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1579865984177156096?s=46&t=_GZQBu0tJve2oV5IDkfUMA

Yankees lose in 4?
If I were picking the Padres to win exactly one game in this series it wouldn’t be the first one, but maybe the video game is simulating cold Dodgers bats coming off the bye

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is cool

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1579873639381336065?s=46&t=YH4nz90TogYBAbn_xXvhrg

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Don’t worry he’ll replace Q when his elbow explodes 20 pitches in

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Postseason outcomes are just too good right now, I’m getting nervous

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why do we have start times for this full series but not any others? At least tell us Friday’s times

https://twitter.com/mariners/status/1579894773027987461?s=46&t=lKVVlngZ_oSJv-kmRG4xTA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

The MLB app is showing 1:30 for PHI/ATL and 5:30 for LA/SD but I don’t know if it's accurate
That would make sense, hopefully it stays that way

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fire take from Alanna today

https://twitter.com/alannarizzo/status/1579949447068676097?s=46&t=lKVVlngZ_oSJv-kmRG4xTA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That’s what, 5 ER in 3 IP for Ray this postseason? Seems bad!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gibson was a two run shot in a one run game so I suppose that makes sense

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

In 2017, they had McCullers and Morton finish game 7s very effectively.
That feels like different usage from the typical starter-in-relief fail. Those guys were basically planned piggybacks, never starters coming in for an inning on a throw day between starts as we’ve seen backfire a lot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I need like 12 minutes from Meg Rowley on that decision tomorrow on EW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Look man October is a chaotic month but I will go to the mat for Kershaw any time