Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1625192309234221057

Honestly, I'd be in favor of a mercy rule. If the Pirates are down by 14 against a great offense in the 7th, do we really need to burn their team's arms and salt the earth?

Try explaining the mercy rule to fans who paid for 9 innings (or more importantly to Manfred, ad buyers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Red posted:

Honestly, I'd be in favor of a mercy rule. If the Pirates are down by 14 against a great offense in the 7th, do we really need to burn their team's arms and salt the earth?

Yes. Shoulda spent some money on being competitive if you don’t wanna get ground into the dust.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Try explaining the mercy rule to fans who paid for 9 innings (or more importantly to Manfred, ad buyers)

Force the losing team to spend the remaining estimated game time signing things for fans, doing interviews on why they sucked that game, and keep all the concessions open.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Make the losing team cover the ad buys :twisted:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

If you are losing by over 10 all the fans get to line up in the 7th inning stretch and kick the owner in the nuts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If you're losing by 10 all the fans line up to pitch one pitch each.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Personally, I would throw the classic "screwball".

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Unearned runner is really good, and I will probably start using that over ghost runner. I hate the concept, but at least I can sympathize with the players, broadcast staff, and stadium workers. They're still robbing me of Keith Hernandez being driven mad by an unscheduled doubleheader!

I will, however, have a full fledged massive tantrum if a perfect game ends in an L because of two sac flies in the 10th inning.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 14, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

Pretty sure this would violate MLB's TV contracts. Also who gets to decide when it's invoked? The winning team? Cause why wouldn't you want to burn through all the bullpen arms of the team you have a getaway day game against tomorrow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Once a team is up by 10, it's over. The record regular season comeback is 12 runs, it's happened three times, two of which were in the deadball era. Post season record is 8.

Managers just aren't going to do what they need to do to even attempt to comeback from that kind of margin outside of extreme win-and-get-in scenarios, so why go through the motions

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Once a team is up by 10, it's over. The record regular season comeback is 12 runs, it's happened three times, two of which were in the deadball era. Post season record is 8.

Managers just aren't going to do what they need to do to even attempt to comeback from that kind of margin outside of extreme win-and-get-in scenarios, so why go through the motions

Because I like watching baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

I mean, I just gave a reason why

Two if you're the league office and care about not having to give a bunch of money back to advertisers/networks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Brewers are trying to get more public money out of Wisconsin

https://twitter.com/tomdaykin/status/1625481294153936896?s=46&t=6h_qMaeazf0JLXZBRC37qw

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Say what you will about Jesse Ventura, but he told Bud Selig to go eat poo poo when MLB asked for public funding:https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2001/12/07/ventura-works-high-and-tight-to-selig/3d91697c-ee54-4016-823a-ff541b96fa06/

quote:

"These owners are not losing the money they claim to be losing. If they were, they wouldn't be paying the salaries they're paying," Ventura said. Then, looking at Selig, inches away, he said: "It's asinine. These people did not get the wealth they have by being stupid."

Minutes later, during an adjournment, word arrived of a report, later rescinded, that Jason Giambi had agreed to a $128 million, seven-year contract with the Yankees.

When Selig bemoaned the vast losses, Ventura sneered, "These losses, do the owners not deduct them off their taxes?"

When Selig claimed that, without its exemption, baseball could not keep teams from relocating -- "leaving in the night" -- Ventura posed a question that was more eloquent than any answer.

"What is the difference between leaving in the night and being contracted?" asked the governor.

No telltale tire tracks?

Above all, Ventura was furious about baseball's eternal carrot-and-stick tactics. The game is always threatening to leave your town or tempting you with hints that they'll come to your town.

"If we funded a stadium, we would mysteriously disappear from the 'contraction list,' " Ventura said. "The stadium we have, the Metrodome, is only 20 years old. It's younger than my child. The trees around the Dome are so young they still have tape around them. . . .

"[Baseball] wants to come into my [state] budget and build a park at public expense. Then they'll come back in five years, eight years, and say, 'This isn't good enough either.'

"When we build a public library, we don't have to pay to get in. But when we build a stadium, we have to pay the owner every time we go to a game."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

The extra innings runner and the position player pitching rule are stupid, gently caress Manfred. How about you figure out how to make a baseball correctly first

Well that depends, who is the ball being pitched to?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah they know how to make a ball, they just chose to gently caress with it and not tell anyone.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wacha to the Padres. Honestly surprised it didn't happen earlier.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

But then this would never have happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFn4NqQr_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Holy poo poo y'all pitchers and catchers report tomorrow

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024160