Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol eat poo poo, hope he's out of the game for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All of those pitchers the Royals had been calling up regressed, and I know Keith Law months back talked about how it had to be something with the major league pitching coaching staff because several of them fell off of a cliff

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

for the cubsposters, assuming the ricketts family actually ponies up as all the rumors say, which shortstop would you want?

Popete posted:

Cubs should sign Trea Turner

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs should first, above all else, give Wilson Contreras lots of money.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Cubs should first, above all else, give Wilson Contreras lots of money.

I agree because he is by far the best catcher the Cubs could acquire at a position where it is very difficult to find that kind of offensive production and it would be incredibly funny for him to end up a cub after making like 15 different tearful goodbye statements during this season.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Unfortunate that 1B and Outfield (after Judge) is so thin, those are both areas where Giants could make sizable upgrades.

Though I think they'll be fine with a 1B cobbled together out of some combination of Villar/Flores/Davis/Longoria, especially if Casey Schmitt is able to come up to MLB and hold down 3B.

More concerning is the outfield. I don't think Joc should be back, he gave up everything he contributed with the bat back on his lousy defense. Keep Yaz/Slater as a centerfield platoon and try to find players who can both hit and play defense for the corners.

Obviously any of the top ticket shortstops would be an upgrade on Crawford, most likely, but I feel there are more pressing concerns. Shortstop X + Judge won't be enough by itself to turn the team around, IMO.

Belt probably won't be back, but I think that's fine. As great as he's been with the team before this year, the Giants need to get younger and less injury prone. LaStella just needs to be cut, he's contributed nothing these past two years and using him as our 78 OPS+ DH forced us to use so many below par defenders this year. Thairo Estrada is more than capable at 2B.

Also re-sign Rodon.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don’t necessarily think Rizzo will opt out of his deal. Aging 1Bs tend to not get big contracts and I think Rizzo’s current deal is fair enough. Also I love him and I want him to be a Yankee until his career is over

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rizzo should opt out because the Yankees are going to be bad when Judge signs with the Angels

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Rizzo should opt out because the Yankees are going to be bad when Judge signs with the Angels

nobody will know who to vote for when Trout, Ohtani and Judge play on a team that's 30 something games below .500

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Johnny Bravo posted:

nobody will know who to vote for when Trout, Ohtani and Judge play on a team that's 30 something games below .500

The next version of Tungsten Arm would be incredible.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t necessarily think Rizzo will opt out of his deal. Aging 1Bs tend to not get big contracts and I think Rizzo’s current deal is fair enough. Also I love him and I want him to be a Yankee until his career is over

I think Rizzo would easily get more than $16M per year on the FA market. The QO is gonna be worth more than that, so there's no reason for Rizzo not to opt out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
all respect to Judge and look forward to his further adventures in life however
https://twitter.com/jizzjohnsonjr/status/1577797846069395457?s=46&t=C1BnmyBLW97UlTXn-nOhyw

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
For God’s sake…

https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1578041977957933056?s=46&t=elM7kTu7qeHZfMAlV_n8rw

Horrible

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Hello baseball peeps. I basically just ignored MLB for the entire season after being disappointed at how the PA caved on negotiations and the Cubs ownership basically decided to do gently caress all good over the past couple of years.

What cool stories have I missed? Especially if they're Cubs-centric.

The ones I know of:
Trevor Bauer banned for two years (good, gently caress him)
Pujols hit HR #700 (cool, even though I think he hit about 500 of them against the Cubs)
Judge hit 62 HR during the regular season (cool, except for all the hot takes surrounding "Home Run King" we undoubtedly have now.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ohtani had another amazing year, Trout hit 40 dingers and the Angels finished third in the AL West.

The Mariners and Phillies both broke their playoff droughts, which means that the current longest playoff drought belongs to the Los Angeles Mike Trouts.

And yes, MLB has been hyping up the "AL home run record" for months now and Roger Maris Jr has been mouthing off about how Judge will be the "clean" HR king.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Braves should reunite the Contreras bros after they launch Ozuna into a volcano

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LobsterMobster posted:

Braves should reunite the Contreras bros after they launch Ozuna into a volcano

do love the idea of a frères Contreras catcher/DH swap and d’Arnaud could be usefully traded but still need to figure out something for left field next year

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It would have been kind of funny if Judge stayed stuck at 61 and this bomb at Camden was a reason for it

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=85b58836-83f0-4fc7-8368-6bb8f6561a02

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Explosionface posted:

Hello baseball peeps. I basically just ignored MLB for the entire season after being disappointed at how the PA caved on negotiations and the Cubs ownership basically decided to do gently caress all good over the past couple of years.

What cool stories have I missed? Especially if they're Cubs-centric.

The ones I know of:
Trevor Bauer banned for two years (good, gently caress him)
Pujols hit HR #700 (cool, even though I think he hit about 500 of them against the Cubs)
Judge hit 62 HR during the regular season (cool, except for all the hot takes surrounding "Home Run King" we undoubtedly have now.)

Tatis getting busted for PEDs was a big story

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/xx45h4/wave_and_a_miss_javier_b%C3%A1ez_swung_and_missed_at/

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is it bad if my first thought on the 134 number was "really that's it? Less than one per game!" :v:

Carlosologist posted:

I tend to agree but it's also worth remembering that we're getting an IF shift ban next year and Rizzo is traditionally one of the most heavily shifted on players in the game, so he may stand as one of the best to benefit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kyle Schwarber is going to be MVP next year

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Is it bad if my first thought on the 134 number was "really that's it? Less than one per game!" :v:

I tend to agree but it's also worth remembering that we're getting an IF shift ban next year and Rizzo is traditionally one of the most heavily shifted on players in the game, so he may stand as one of the best to benefit.

Not sure if this is internalized Pat Hughes/Len Kasper homerism, but I think of Rizzo as being a plus defender at 1B, especially his ability to stretch and pick bad throws. I wonder if the larger bases will a) make him a better defender with respect to the league (because it amplifies his skills), b) make him a worse defender with respect to the league (because it brings up the floor and average more than it brings him up) or c) unchanged (because everyone improves and rankings don't change)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This was the first year of Rizzo's career in the statcast era that OAA rated him as a below average defender at 1B. Could be age, could be his back issues, could just be some flukieness.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Joe Maddon has some more thoughts:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-maddon-tom-verducci-book-excerpt

quote:

In 2022, though, Maddon never made it to the ballpark with his mohawk. Angels GM Perry Minasian arrived at Maddon’s front door and rang the bell. Maddon answered and invited him in. Minasian did not immediately notice the mohawk. If he did, he said nothing about it. He appeared uncomfortable.

Maddon took Minasian’s appearance on his doorstep as a bad sign for his coaches. They sat down in the living room. Minasian made a quick comment about Maddon getting “a haircut.” The words lacked the lilt of humor. Quickly it was apparent why. Minasian said he was “making a change” and removing him as manager. “I’ve got to do something, Joe,” Minasian told him.

LOL

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 7, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Messed up they didn't even let him try out the mohawk to see if it worked but hey that's SABER metrics for ya, the computer says no.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ok, fine. I will read the joe maddon book when it comes out.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Savant has arm strength ratings now and Trout is in the 86th percentile lol. Here's his avg mph going back to 2020 (first year they have data):

2020: 86.6
2021: 88.2
2022: 90.2

Even with injuries he's still a plus defensive CF going into his 13th season in the majors.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

He hit the most homers against the Astros, mostly because he followed them from the NL Central to the AL West.

In terms of fewest PAs per home run against a specific team, the Angels are actually who he homered against most often.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

Even with injuries he's still a plus defensive CF going into his 13th season in the majors.

I looked this up because I assumed it was a typo, I can't believe he's already played 12 years. I guess that makes sense he was 19 when he started.

He's played in 3 playoff games lol.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

irritated that the word has obviously gone out to lay the groundwork for Ozuna continuing to get ABs in the postseason https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1578472581270671361?s=20&t=ZlMZUL42rHwSoIHNbS0UaA

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He hit the most homers against the Astros, mostly because he followed them from the NL Central to the AL West.

In terms of fewest PAs per home run against a specific team, the Angels are actually who he homered against most often.

Don't you dare bring numbers and data into a discussion about baseball, sir

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
7 years ago today

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

7 years ago today

99% of things that happened pre-2020 feel like another lifetime ago to me at this point but somehow I just can't believe the 2015-2016 Cubs were 6-7 years ago. It feels like yesterday.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bumping this thread for Mets posters so they know where to post going forward.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

Bumping this thread for Mets posters so they know where to post going forward.

Ouuuuchhhh...

My poor mother in law. ;_;

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Johnny Bravo posted:

Now that it's in the books, here's some final Ohtani numbers:

https://twitter.com/bmags94/status/1577799939601862656

Shohei Ohtani is so loving cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The 2022 Rays have to be the worst offensive playoff team ever.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

mcmagic posted:

The 2022 Rays have to be the worst offensive playoff team ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2020_NLWC4.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I think Cincinatti got more base runners in the first game than Tampa got in the whole, 24 inning series.