Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
MLB the Show's exclusivity ran out for 2020, but that only came out on PS. 2021 came out on ps and XBox, 2022 on ps, xbox, and switch. It would not be surprising to see them release 2023 or 2024 on PC; they just didn't hire enough people to immediately port it to all available systems and instead essentially went in order of market share. There's no guarantee we ever see it on PC but even if they wanted to port it there it's not surprising it got backburnered in favor of the other two consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This baseball videogame gives me insane J. Henry Waugh vibes in a way no game since 90s Strat-o-Matic has

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1596180773127733251

Someone read this for me and get the good quotes. I don't wanna read a Tom Verducci book

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1596180773127733251

Someone read this for me and get the good quotes. I don't wanna read a Tom Verducci book

already have it requested from the library!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone have any links to how to actually pitch and hit in SMB3, i have tried to find tutorials but everything is just basic pitching poo poo like "hit the corners" and "mix up your pitches" and i am looking for am i supposed to hold the button while i'm trying to line up the thing with the other thing and i have no idea how to get my pitches to actually go anywhere.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
"Nobody thinks about baseball quite like Joe Maddon" is one of those sentences that permits multiple interpretations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone have any links to how to actually pitch and hit in SMB3, i have tried to find tutorials but everything is just basic pitching poo poo like "hit the corners" and "mix up your pitches" and i am looking for am i supposed to hold the button while i'm trying to line up the thing with the other thing and i have no idea how to get my pitches to actually go anywhere.

I don't have any link although check the steam community page for the game there may be some there.

You don't need to hold any buttons during the pitch, just LMB once to start the pitch and then align the moving reticle into the target stationary reticle.

You can also throw a power pitch with RMB you want to align the targets as normal but you have to hold RMB down and try to release it as close to 100 as you can get it, if you mess up the pitch will be wild.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fast cars loose anus posted:

MLB the Show's exclusivity ran out for 2020, but that only came out on PS. 2021 came out on ps and XBox, 2022 on ps, xbox, and switch. It would not be surprising to see them release 2023 or 2024 on PC; they just didn't hire enough people to immediately port it to all available systems and instead essentially went in order of market share. There's no guarantee we ever see it on PC but even if they wanted to port it there it's not surprising it got backburnered in favor of the other two consoles.

I don't think there was an exclusivity agreement like EA has with the NFL, it's just that The Show was developed by a Sony owned studio so they only made it for playstation because, well, of course you would, and it dominated the market so much that developers stopped trying to compete (with a few failed attempts here and there).

And then a few years ago MLB came to Sony with a bag of money and said "listen we need this available for everyone please give it to xbox"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

I don't have any link although check the steam community page for the game there may be some there.

You don't need to hold any buttons during the pitch, just LMB once to start the pitch and then align the moving reticle into the target stationary reticle.

You can also throw a power pitch with RMB you want to align the targets as normal but you have to hold RMB down and try to release it as close to 100 as you can get it, if you mess up the pitch will be wild.

cool thanks

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love Joe Maddon and am tempted to get that book lol

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

R.D. Mangles posted:

Both hitting and pitching have a basic/contact version and a higher risk/reward "power" version. It sounds like you're using the power version to pitch, which requires you to aim a reticle (like the standard version) but also hold the bottom to "charge" it up, and miss wildly if you overcharge it. I'd suggest that, while you get used to the game, you sick to the basic versions.

For what it's worth, the game tries to steer you this way with its tutorials, as it'll first teach you how to hit/pitch with the basic tutorials, and will later give you the power tutorials; kind of a "crawl before you walk" approach. I'd suggest double-checking the tutorials for the basic pitch and the contract swing, play a few games solely with those, and try the power versions only one you're nice and comfortable with the basic versions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think there was an exclusivity agreement like EA has with the NFL, it's just that The Show was developed by a Sony owned studio so they only made it for playstation because, well, of course you would, and it dominated the market so much that developers stopped trying to compete (with a few failed attempts here and there).

And then a few years ago MLB came to Sony with a bag of money and said "listen we need this available for everyone please give it to xbox"

Yeah the closest equivalent to "realistic" MLB games besides The Show was RBI Baseball, which was way more low effort and simplistic than The Show and ended up dying with last year's edition. There's also OOTP I guess, but it's such a different style of game that I wouldn't really consider it a competitor to The Show.

It's a shame too because with The Show as the only game in town it's fallen into a rut where they barely change anything year to year besides updating rosters and adding some window dressing, when there's a huge number of issues that have been carried over year after year after year without getting addressed. RttS is also a joke, somehow even more soulless than whatever the gently caress NBA2K and Madden are doing these days with their career modes. But it's never gonna get addressed because SDS no impetus to do so. :(

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

This helped me a bit with hitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6FWm8cxO8

Pretty basic stuff, but two things it definitely has right.
Assuming you're using an xbox controller - try power swings with the right stick and not the button.
Most(?) importantly - don't swing at garbage. You'll hit it, but it will be weak ground outs a lot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cartoony graphics aside, Super Mega Baseball 3 feels hella realistic to me because the last baseball game I played in depth was Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, where Luis Sojo could bunt his way to first and steal home a few pitches later.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Yeah the closest equivalent to "realistic" MLB games besides The Show was RBI Baseball, which was way more low effort and simplistic than The Show and ended up dying with last year's edition. There's also OOTP I guess, but it's such a different style of game that I wouldn't really consider it a competitor to The Show.

It's a shame too because with The Show as the only game in town it's fallen into a rut where they barely change anything year to year besides updating rosters and adding some window dressing, when there's a huge number of issues that have been carried over year after year after year without getting addressed. RttS is also a joke, somehow even more soulless than whatever the gently caress NBA2K and Madden are doing these days with their career modes. But it's never gonna get addressed because SDS no impetus to do so. :(

I don't really need soul in my road to the show (I think the NBA and Madden version's press conferences and such are fairly stupid, just let me throw ball) but I sure wish they'd stop adding things for the sake of adding them like the throwing quick time event if you're playing as an infielder in RttS for example

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The hot stove is heating up :siren: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1596304615712051200

Carlos Santana is a great clubhouse guy that was Julio Rodriguez's best friend and he had some hugely clutch hits, but he's pretty done as anything more than a righty platoon bat since he can't really hit as a lefty.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Not sure how Seattle will survive without its 192/293/400 dh

also that's a pretty impressive IsoD considering he can't, you know, hit

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pungry posted:

The hot stove is heating up :siren: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1596304615712051200

Carlos Santana is a great clubhouse guy that was Julio Rodriguez's best friend and he had some hugely clutch hits, but he's pretty done as anything more than a righty platoon bat since he can't really hit as a lefty.

He's pretty good at the guitar as well

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

man it's a hot stove

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

<Jonah Hill voice> He gets on base

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Not sure how Seattle will survive without its 192/293/400 dh

also that's a pretty impressive IsoD considering he can't, you know, hit

look man that 3 run dinger against Toronto was pretty drat big

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have an All Star Game jersey for Santana and I hope he keeps managing to get paid as long as there is a walk to be taken

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ji-Man Choi / Carlos Santana platoon :vince:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This signing was apparently the Pirates' biggest FA signing since 2016. At just under $7 mil. Good lord.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

man it's a hot stove

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shine posted:

Both hitting and pitching have a basic/contact version and a higher risk/reward "power" version. It sounds like you're using the power version to pitch, which requires you to aim a reticle (like the standard version) but also hold the bottom to "charge" it up, and miss wildly if you overcharge it. I'd suggest that, while you get used to the game, you sick to the basic versions.

For what it's worth, the game tries to steer you this way with its tutorials, as it'll first teach you how to hit/pitch with the basic tutorials, and will later give you the power tutorials; kind of a "crawl before you walk" approach. I'd suggest double-checking the tutorials for the basic pitch and the contract swing, play a few games solely with those, and try the power versions only one you're nice and comfortable with the basic versions.

I'm having a real hard time adjusting to the power swing mechanics. Maybe I just need time. Also the timing of swinging seems a lot different from The Show so I need to adjust to that as well

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

He's pretty good at the guitar as well

I hope Pittsburgh lets him field so he can show off his picks

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Didn't see 2022 rosters, but I installed a 2021 mod and the M's are off to a good start as staff ace Marco Gonzales goes 8 2/3 perfect before the game cheated like a purple shell on Mario Kart and lined a first pitch double.

The offense didn't have much trouble though cruising to a 28 HR team effort led by ROY surefire M's standout for years Kyle Lewis and ageless wonder Kyle Seager.

I think I might need to bump the ego level up over it's current 15.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

Didn't see 2022 rosters, but I installed a 2021 mod and the M's are off to a good start as staff ace Marco Gonzales goes 8 2/3 perfect before the game cheated like a purple shell on Mario Kart and lined a first pitch double.

The offense didn't have much trouble though cruising to a 28 HR team effort led by ROY surefire M's standout for years Kyle Lewis and ageless wonder Kyle Seager.

Is this for SMB3? I need that mod

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Is this for SMB3? I need that mod

Yeah - I should have linked.

2021 roster file here:
https://www.mvpmods.com/files/file/11451-smb3-mlb21-team-pack-tsr-v-10/

There's some team importer tool you need as well.
https://www.mvpmods.com/files/file/11066-smb3-team-transfer-tool/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've seemed to settle between 42-45 ego level, that keeps it interesting where I have a decent chance of losing games still.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

like a purple shell on Mario Kart

what the gently caress is a purple shell

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

here's some stuff that I think is cool

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1596494352099856385

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1596122815174160386

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1595750635994894336

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Good poo poo, game owns.

When starting out, I think that increasing Ego by 5 every game until you lose one is a decent way to dial it in. Chances are you'll learn from that loss where your gaps are and you can work on them at that ego level, and your victories will feel more accomplishing as you improve. Then you can bump ego up again once you find you have an 80% winrate or something (or just enjoy winning a lot, which is fine!). You can also increase ego for each individual part of the game, in case you find a comfortable level for batting, but still need more challenge on pitching or whatever else.

I love that the CPU will pick up on patterns in how you pitch and start sitting on what you often throw on a given count. And it tells you it's doing this, with an "Anticipated: X pitch in Y location on Z count" message on screen. You can also use this against the computer by breaking your pattern with something completely different, which will result in an awkward swing and a "Fooled!" message. That poo poo's so satisfying.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
"Providence honors World Series MVP, Classical alum Jeremy Peņa"
https://turnto10.com/news/local/wor...ookie-shortshop

Quite the return to his high school for Peņa, what a conclusion to his rookie season.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1596960984933048323

Kinda glad the Angels can't sign him now because he looked super cooked

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i could watch this eephus all day lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Johnny Bravo posted:

How is this guy going to be 32 next year my word.

Depending on the deal it's not a bad gamble, Clevenger looked pretty bad this year but it was his first season back from TJS and he'd always been pretty good prior, if not particularly reliable injury-wise. Decent enough bounce back candidate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

How is this guy going to be 32 next year my word.

Depending on the deal it's not a bad gamble, Clevenger looked pretty bad this year but it was his first season back from TJS and he'd always been pretty good prior, if not particularly reliable injury-wise. Decent enough bounce back candidate.

I don't think I watched any Clev starts, what was his problem? I remember when Montgomery came back from TJ he wasn't finishing his breaking balls at all, and you could see it clearly when you watched him but he just looked like rear end if you scouted the line.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

Sad to see him leave the division, the Dodgers had a .947 OPS against him