Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who's in the BA top 100?

More importantly to my interests, who are the Mets in the top 100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DefensiveLockout posted:

This varies wildly by team and is often upper level deep in foul territory

Hmm, where's a source on this? I could see largely sold out stadiums giving you bad seats, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about just bad seats regardless of how many tickets they've sold.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Clearly more embarrassing than the color line, obvs. Or the 1987 collusion scandal. Or the owner lockout that occurred just last offseason.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The voters are nimrods but I'm glad Rolen's in.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Looking forward to mcmagic's take on Beltre next year not being worthy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, it's hard to argue that Dawson is clearly out unless your HOF is only inner circle dudes. Joe DiMaggio is probably the first guy to make the cut if Dawson is clearly out. Duke Snider is clearly out. Richie Ashburn, also clearly out. Sliding Billy Hamilton? See ya. You'd end up with a HOF of about 130 players.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's extremely hard for a catcher to rack up crazy WAR numbers. The all time bWAR leader is Johnny Bench at 75. Only four catchers make it over 60 WAR. Every other fielding position has at least one player over 100 career bWAR. That's largely because of the toll the position takes on players, the career leader in plate appearances among those listed as catchers is Ivan Rodriguez with just over 10,000. Every other position has at least a couple people with over 12,000 on the lists, even if all those PAs didn't come at the position they're listed under.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh hell yeah. Really glad McNeil is getting that extension.

e: and I'm glad someone came to defend Ozzie's honor. Dude had like 45 oWAR during his career! He was a very good hitter for a shortstop in his historical context!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kinda surprised that Alvarez has dropped from "Best prospect still rookie eligible with Adley Rutschman graduating to the majors" at the end of last year to "3rd-10th best prospect" now. He had a .383 OBP at AAA! As a 20 year old! He plays catcher and will probably stick there!

Also, drat, last year was great year for rookies in the AL. Rutschman was great and would have been a deserving winner in almost any other year even though he wasn't called up until late May. But Julio was even better! And but for those two, poor Steve Kwan would have been the best AL rookie by bWAR since Aaron Judge in 2017. Jeremy Peņa won a gold glove at shortstop and put up nearly 5 bWAR, and only got two ROY votes because of how strong the top 3 were. The NL side was also good - you've got Michael Harris with more than 5 bWAR and three other senior circuit rookies with more than 3 WAR themselves - but not nearly as good as 2019 when you had Alonso, Tatis Jr., Soroka (RIP), and Victor Robles (also RIP).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

zoux posted:

As AM Rosenthal, EIC of the NYT in the seventies famously put it: "You can gently caress an elephant if you want, but you can't cover the circus."

Thanks, Marty Baron. I'm glad to know you think women who've been sexually assaulted can't cover sexual assault, and that black people can't cover racism. You poltroon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Keep loving Jim Crane's loafers, buddy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Exodor posted:

I've honestly never paid much attention to the WBC - do the starters typically play the whole game? They're playing a Round 1 game against the Great Britain team so I expect it to get out of hand pretty quickly but it'll be fun to see a game at Spring Training that "counts".

Do players assigned to the WBC typically play spring training games too or do they stay with the team until the tournament is over? We're seeing Dodgers/Giants on Saturday so it's safe to assume Mookie isn't going to play that game and the WBC that night.

Batters will generally play normally, there's pitch count limits on the pitchers that ramp up as the tournament gets further along and top out at 95 pitches for the final round. The players are with their national team and not at spring training with their professional club.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, getting that up front pay is probably real nice.

Getting that first 10m is such an overwhelming change in overall wealth compared to going from 10m in career earnings to 100m. I can see why signing away a few free agent years makes sense to so many players - even Ozzie Albies and his kids will be set for life despite how underpaid he is under that extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Unearned runner is really good, and I will probably start using that over ghost runner. I hate the concept, but at least I can sympathize with the players, broadcast staff, and stadium workers. They're still robbing me of Keith Hernandez being driven mad by an unscheduled doubleheader!

I will, however, have a full fledged massive tantrum if a perfect game ends in an L because of two sac flies in the 10th inning.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 14, 2023