Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

To me, it's weird that Mario is voiced by Chris Pratt. He sounds completely different, and I don't think Mario should have dialogue. But it seems to be received pretty well with the chat smothered with comments like "11/10!" and "THAT WAS AMAZINFG!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPCXuvL8EM&t=2358s
This can be rewound of fast forwarded to where the trailer is for now, until the trailer itself is uploaded.
It uploaded the live video, so I have it start at the trailer. Go to 34:40 for the beginning of the direct, with interviews and such.

Now about Mario's butt, I don't care about that, and I hate the internet.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

Charles Martinet got screwed over.

I remember them saying his voice would still be in the movie when they announced Chris Pratt would do the main dialog. I'm not sure how those two will fit together, but maybe it works? I'm still baffled by the decision of going with a different voice, and making him have substantial lines of dialog. I always imagined it would work perfectly if they kept him they way he's been since like, Mario 64. But whatever, sometimes it's good to try something new.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

GABA ghoul posted:

I hope they explore some of the lore like why there are huge pieces of human sized pipes everywhere. Did giants build them to flush their huge turds? Is this world the post apocalyptic remains of a giants civilization? What destroyed them? Climate change? Capitalism? Bio weapons like with the engineers in Prometheus?

I really hope they don't go too deep into that. Mushrooms and pipes just exist in the Mushroom Kingdom like trees do, man.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

I didn't think hollywood would have the guts to put Mario's signature line in a family friendly movie, but by god they did it.

Really? I thought Hollywood or whatever would be eager for this, but Nintendo is just really careful about their IP now. Like when the Zelda Netflix series was leaked, Nintendo cancelled it due to lack of trust in who they were working with.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Mmmmm... yummy. Wish they'd use this design for the movie. :heysexy:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Tunicate posted:

the BLOCKS, on the other hand, are mushroom kingdom citizens who were transformed by Bowser's black magic, and he kidnapped Princess Peach because only she was capable of reversing the spell

but in all the games afterwards, the blocks are still there. Did Peach fail to break the curse? Every day, does she look out and see the brick-strewn ruins of her once-proud kingdom, and regret having failed her people?

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. Weird. Is that why the Super Mario World blocks have eyes?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

All I'm saying is it was a brave choice to end the climactic final battle with Mario grabbing Bowser by the dick and throwing him into a naval mine while shouting "So long, gay Bowser"

It was refreshing to hear Mario saying it in an intelligible, accent-less Chris Pratt voice.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lots of details shown here that I missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48iHgjWkfc

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

Bowser COULD have knocked over the Penguin Kingdom whenever he wanted. He only WANTED to after he found out they have a Power Star or whatever. He basically laid waste to Penguin Area 51, that poo poo was top secret and the Penguin Kingdom has surprisingly good infosec

But with a close look on the trailer, it seems that the places with power stars have a star emblem right on the door. Maybe you're right though, because Bowser & team could have never approached these doors in the first place, or made the connection.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Most people seem to love Charles Martinet, or his voice acting anyway. I see people mostly opposed by the decision to use Chris Pratt instead. It makes sense in a capitalistic point of view to use known actors, but I'm thinking in Mario's case, this works against their supposed benefit.

Anyway, my anger has grown more and more for the last few days, and I've been contemplating suing Nintendo for BILLIONS for emotionally traumatizing me..

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Okay this is why we can't take Wikipedia for granted. Waluigi is loving awesome, and everyone knows it. I hope Nintendo doesn't take this information seriously. I'm surprised there hasn't been at least one spinoff for Waluigi.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I can’t believe people even give a poo poo because Mario canonically has like a five word vocabulary.

WHAHOHO
MAMMA MIA
ITS-A-ME MARIO

WALL-E had amongst the same amount, and it worked.

Tunicate posted:

already been covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hsQy5GhjUQ

a maryland rep tried to get the song banned.

He was 5'5

lol

Maybe not family friendly to say "short people don't deserve to live", but it's legitimately funny, and I'm 5'5".

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Knormal posted:

A much bigger crime for our generation was when Mario 64 came out and Nintendo tried to memory hole Mario being a gruff-voiced adult and turned him into a barely-literate Mickey Mouse. And now everyone's freaking out about them doing the opposite.

Interesting, because personally the Mario voice in 64 didn't phase me at all when it came out. Seemed very natural, and it stuck.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

EorayMel posted:

There are several ways to kill him, but you only get points if you use fireballs.

*You [might] get one extra life throughout the entire game, if you collect enough points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I lol'd