Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

Chewbecca posted:

fffffff

Ok well the fact remains y'all pronounce aluminium as aluminum and I will forever judge you for it, namaste

it was originally called aluminum and then y'all (the commonwealth) decided you were gonna add a syllable to it and we don't listen to no queen

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Doctor Dogballs posted:

thats cause it's called aluminum

Stoner Sloth

i don't understand movies or tv shows unless they're awkwardly remade by other americans!

Ass-penny

Stoner Sloth posted:

i don't understand movies or tv shows unless they're awkwardly remade by other americans!

are you talking about Wilfred?

Heather Papps

hello friend

wow this british show the office is incredibly bittersweet and dark and uncomfortable holy poo poo

are you thinking what i'm thinking?

yes. let us remake it in such a way that an entire generation of women will hold up this fictional relationship as the gold standard of love. we will create the new jack and diane, the new rachel and ross. this show will not be sad. everyone - EVERYONE gets a happy ending, this is america, after all.

*office breaks out into a rousing chant of USA USA USAAAAA*

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

Well,

y'all

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

Doctor Dogballs posted:

thats cause it's called aluminum

:hmmwrong:

more falafel please posted:

it was originally called aluminum and then y'all (the commonwealth) decided you were gonna add a syllable to it and we don't listen to no queen

:baduk:

:wrong:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

Heather Papps posted:

wow this british show the office is incredibly bittersweet and dark and uncomfortable holy poo poo

are you thinking what i'm thinking?

yes. let us remake it in such a way that an entire generation of women will hold up this fictional relationship as the gold standard of love. we will create the new jack and diane, the new rachel and ross. this show will not be sad. everyone - EVERYONE gets a happy ending, this is america, after all.

*office breaks out into a rousing chant of USA USA USAAAAA*

:emptyquote:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

you tell them buddy. man the other day i got burglarized! a burglarizer broke into my house in a flagrant act of burglarization!!

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

are you talking about Wilfred?

what if mad max but people had to drink tiddy milk for some reason! haha thunderdome, guzzoline! i completely get where this series was coming from and there are legit sequels after the one we called road warrior because we didn't know about the first movie for 20 years!

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

iam average american man ienjoy bad game runescape

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
What seems to be the problem officer?

Officer: You do the math!

edit:

Man: The math was a no brainer!

Officer: [fires gun]

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 19, 2022

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

you're appropriating my culture as a southern man

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
I say y'all irl and I even say howdy unironically when passing an older person

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
every southerner, to themselves every day: i am the world's last cowboy

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Escape From Noise

Y'all is incredibly regional. I have never used it unironically.

Areola Grande

Sherbert Hoover posted:

every southerner, to themselves every day: i am the world's last cowboy

my dad still wears pointy boots and a big ol belt buckle

:ughh:

Ass-penny

y'all is a great non-gendered plural pronoun and you will respect it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

:hayter:

But fr I do say y'all a lot

And hollerin. I say hollerin, I do hollerin. Down in this here holler I live in.

BounceBanana
I just said "yall" wallago or it might have been alittlebitago.

Shifty Nipples

rear end-penny posted:

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

more falafel please

forums poster

rear end-penny posted:

yeah this is why I started using it. "you guys" is so endemic to midwestern speech patterns so it's hard to get rid of but y'all is the closest thing, also gently caress prescriptivism

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

real Americans say youn's. y'all is like, so uppity sounding

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

If it doesn't sound Texan, is it even American?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Ass-penny

yeah this is why I started using it. "you guys" is so endemic to midwestern speech patterns so it's hard to get rid of but y'all is the closest thing, also gently caress prescriptivism

yeah for real. the "you guys" trap is hard to get out of.

Ass-penny

Stoner Sloth posted:

what if mad max but people had to drink tiddy milk for some reason! haha thunderdome, guzzoline! i completely get where this series was coming from and there are legit sequels after the one we called road warrior because we didn't know about the first movie for 20 years!

I like Mad Max too, but I don't see what this has to do with Wilfred :shrug: I haven't seen the Aussie version, but the American one has a good looking lady in it, hth

Heather Papps

hello friend

ya'll folk

Heather Papps

hello friend

there is a really weird mirroring between any rural community so sometimes i see posts from americans about this very specific thing they only think happens there, and i beat back the instinct to explain that northern canadians use ya'll as well

Ass-penny

it's only y'all if it comes from the y'all region of Arkansas, otherwise it's just sparkling ALL OF YOU ALL

Chewbecca

rear end-penny posted:

I like Mad Max too, but I don't see what this has to do with Wilfred :shrug: I haven't seen the Aussie version, but the American one has a good looking lady in it, hth

All mad max is Australian hth

Despite what any dubs might have you believe

Areola Grande

Chewbecca posted:

I remember watching the first one as a child and not understanding the speech at all for the most part

Areola Grande

Chewbecca posted:

Howdy pardners, just might mosey on up to the ol' walmart and purchase myself some lethal weapons and a 6 pack of coke for the kids. You coming to the 4th of July bbq later? God bless are troops :patriot:

emptyquoting again

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

Max should maybe talk to a therapist about his anger issues IMHO. I know it's a rough place, but he's not going to fix everything with his one man war.

watho

rear end-penny posted:

it’s not yinz but it’s fine

sube

Heather Papps posted:

there is a really weird mirroring between any rural community so sometimes i see posts from americans about this very specific thing they only think happens there, and i beat back the instinct to explain that northern canadians use ya'll as well

We ruralites share one collective brain cell, unfortunately

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

it's only y'all if it comes from the y'all region of Arkansas, otherwise it's just sparkling ALL OF YOU ALL

sube posted:

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
American: [has a higher pitched voice than expected]

Ass-penny

sube posted:

Im not a rualite so maybe this thought doesn't mean anything, but I'd imagine people from different rural areas have more in common than people from different cities. maybe it's justy imagination, someone that is better travelled than me should weigh in.

Ohtori Akio
Here is an additional layer of American English to consider as you decide whether to use y'all.

It is Southern American English, and it is also Black American English. Those accents grew up together, then Black American English migrated. So, in the South, or if you otherwise have a Southern accent, "y'all" fits. Otherwise, it can come off as if you are transplanting elements of Black American English into your vocabulary, which looks very tacky.

I like "y'all" too; it's been part of my vocabulary since childhood. I actually use it less now, because using my full accent in daily speech comes off like I am transplanting Black American English into my accent, in the place where I currently live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

another reason why yinz is ftw