Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like that Oberhausen's sole consolation each year is that they didn't lose every match. There's always the draw against BPG to look forward to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Does fan appreciation change based on 'good' matches, or is it strictly some formula of stat-based success? I feel like playing Emden that close and losing would have been more exciting to be at than beating Oberhausen.

e: Voting for Youth Rivalry and Hire One Coach (If we can get 'Second Youth Coach' when getting only one, do that, but it's unclear if that is possible).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2022

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

Point of clarification; which kind of coach (First or Second Youth Coach) do you want?

Edited my post, but Second Youth Coach. That's a confusing title if we can get only one, and it's the 'Second'.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm going for Build Depth, sell Jossar. I was sort of split between him and Torannor, but he's probably the better pick financially, and there are already votes for him. That does kind of force us to go for Gruber even if I kind of like Shaeffer better; this isn't a great choice either way. And Youth rivalry since there's not a pressing need for anything else.

I feel like this is the option that is the least damaging to this season's team, that also puts us in a good future position.

I'm also in favor of getting Medical Infrastructure since with such little depth, we're really being hurt by injuries. Unless the base level of medic is effectively useless. It seems like we need at least something to lower the risk of going on a big losing streak.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, it seems like this isn't the time to upgrade the Med centre, maybe that's something we can work out when we aren't so strapped for cash. Not trying to stop the fruitful discussion on what we should upgrade when we can afford it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think, since we have a genuine shot at promotion this season, we should really hold off on selling anyone at the moment, and may even want to hold on to them longer if the rankings remain as tight as they are. My reasoning is that getting promoted should be our priority right now instead of longer-term finances, and to do that we have to keep our players healthy enough to finish.

That said, we're pretty lucky to have this possible outcome, and even if we get promoted, I don't think the club is really ready for Third League. I still would push hard for promotion, but accept that we will most likely be relegated next year. Treat this as a learning experience, which means I'd be fine with selling off players or weakening the team next season.

In short, do the routine contracts, postpone other decisions for the off-season, and hope we can get to Third League (and then get booted back down here next year).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

Does that mean you want us to play our best players now to push for promotion and bench the young/undeveloped ones, or to keep playing the younger ones but keep the veterans as depth to deal with fatigue/injuries?

I'd favor the former since it gives us the better shot at winning, though the coach on the field (i.e. you) can decide when to pull players to keep them fresh. Obviously the risk there is that a more valuable player gets injured if an injury does happen.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I knew we could make it! (Gotta admit I was half-hoping to see Oberhausen pull a draw on us as a farewell present. But we may well see them again.)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That's gotta be one hot ticket at this point. And all the opposing fans are wondering why we play our games at the community park behind the pub/headquarters.

I am glad to see that actual depth is paying off quite well, as fatigue seemed to be holding us back quite a bit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't think pushing for 2nd league should be a priority. We need to actually work on bringing in the talent that will keep us up there (or even in this league if things go badly).

Sell NiftyBottle because I think we need the money now, and I don't see a big reason to wait until later.
Sign ShadowedFlame another year at least.
Purchase upgrades : Stadium since we need it, Youth Academy so we don't end up sinking back to amateur level in two years, Medical Centre because why not.

I'm in favor of getting a Defender Coach.

Go with rotation for game management.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pokeytax posted:

if William H. Macy is willing to play for our team for what we’re willing to pay him, I see no reason to turn him down

This "Brom Tady" guy says he's only 18, but also that he has 'decades of experience playing football', should we sign him?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think it should be for every vote, since it would hold up the thread for too long, but maybe on some there could be time for proposals, a closure of proposals, and then a vote on them.

Alternatively, make the voting options more constrained and definite. (e.g. "upgrade the youth academy, yes or no? upgrade the stadium, yes or no?"). If the final vote results in things we cannot afford, nothing wins (that seems to be the precedent set). This way limits the ability to come up with new plans or options, however, and may result in less overall development unless there is consensus.

I'm also curious about one aspect of the vote. In some cases I have not given a vote since I don't have a particular preference. Is that counted as a 'non-vote', or as an effective 'nay'? For instance, if there are 4 votes for Youth Rivalry, but 10 overall voters, does it win? Is it different if the vote is for expanding the stadium instead?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Beautiful.

Soon everybody will want to punch us!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm in favor of Rotation play.

We should pick the goalkeeper.

Right now I think the best training coach would be 1 Goalkeeper coach, since it will improve our 3-star faster, and also be a bonus for BLT.

I'm in favor of upgrading the Medical Centre and hiring Chief Physician. Head Physio at this level is an almost-insignificant bonus, but the recovery boost seems like it might get a hurt player back an extra game or more early.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I see the devs made sure to include a joke fake team in the game. Complete with a 'fading in from invisibility' logo that's almost not there as well.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think we're really strapped for cash at the moment, and the risk of losing more depth when we're only kind of safe from relegation is too much to take. We'll be getting a heftier payout when we sell Insurrectionist. Don't sell

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Copying at least part of Tevery Best's plan:
Youth Rivalry.
Sell Insurrectionist, extend Torannor for 3 years, extend the rest for one year.
Upgrade stadium, upgrade Youth Academy.
and
Hire Second Youth Coach - as good a time as any to plan for a stronger future.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

All 15 of them?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we should play for the Cup, as the reward there seems more likely this year. Promotion might happen, but I don't think we should be trying too hard for it, so stick with Adaptive style.

I say sell ShadowedFlame. It's a good offer and we just got a new three-star forward coming in, so we'll be fine in the next couple of years, especially as our defense should be solid.
No Stadium Expansion; in the unlikely event of promotion/big increase of fans, we upgrade it in the off-season.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

When posting the vote, you could say something like "Critical Contracts (+ years)" as a reminder of what is needed.

Critical Contracts:
Odd Wilson - extend 1 year
PotatoManJack - extend 2 years
Stadium Expansion: YES. We need to improve our revenue stream.

Staff Upgrades:
Hire 1 Head Physio & 1 Bench Coach. We're not quite there yet, but getting to the point that losing a player to injury might be a serious blow in several ways. If we don't make any efforts to mitigate it now, we'll be paying through the nose in Glory to enroll the staff we need.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

megane's contract : Extend 2 years

Stadium upgrade: YES

Staff Upgrade: 1 Bench Coach

I really want a Head Physio, but the benefit of going from nothing to 10% growth is massive over the career of our players. Now that we have a bench and higher-star players, we need this.

Youth Work: No on Youth Rivalry

There's a small risk, but at this point I think we'll be better off saving the glory so we can get another staff upgrade sooner.

Competition Focus: Cup

We really need to have a prettier trophy in there, and this is also the most likely way to get at least something out of our sponsor.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's Odd Wilson. He manages to just show up repeatedly where you least expect him and cover the pitch; opponents are baffled.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sell OddWilson
Sign F Baltz
No stadium expansion
Extend AJ_Impy 3 years
Extend Torannor 1 year
Request Defender
Hire Head Physio
Hire First Youth Coach

Head physio would be worthless if it is a multiplicative rather than additive reduction, but unless someone can confirm it I'm still voting for it. Not the worst decision this group would be making anyway.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

:bravo:

Regarding the Head Physio discussion, this seems like potentially a useful time for a reminder that medical staff contributes to making things like Individual Training, Speed Up Treatment, and so on viable. The position coaches have a different role in some of those features. I should probably be using the Individual Training at least at the end of half-seasons prior to off-season or winter break, which would make this more visible/obvious in the thread, but in case people missed it when I talked about it initially it might be worth thinking about.

That's a good reminder of that option, now that we're getting close to having real depth. For some reason I had thought those things all cost glory, so we wouldn't be using them at all. However, it seems like you just take the player out of rotation, and it'd just be a potential way to get the bench in shape if we had some particular need.

e: Also, great post/av combo for Odd Wilson

Kangra
May 7, 2012

[quote="Strategic Sage" post="532652745"]
Critical Contracts :

Coward 1 year
Fat Samurai 3 years

Would've voted for Geserer, since most of our 1-star players are in that line.

Stadium Expansion : NO

Youth Work : Save the glory

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Just barely managing to claw our way from the bottom of the bucket.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

Extend Torannor 1 year.
Sell PMJ.
Extend Dragongem 1 year.
Request Defender.
Get a Forward Coach. (I admit this one is a selfish pick, lol)
No Expansion.

I think the Academy is the more important thing than the stadium. So let’s save the money now and improve the academy come winter. We improve our base squad, we can start taking the higher bounties per win and get saved up towards the stadium expansion a little easier.

Voting this slate. We will still upgrade the academy, and don't have to waste Torranor's value to do so.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Of course I was talking about the Southern Hemisphere's winter.

No one votes for free beer yesterday, they vote for free beer tomorrow.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We're not quite good enough to risk getting rid of a halfway-decent player, even if that is a nice chunk of change. No sale!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Coaches Ballot

Critical Contracts
PokeyTax 1 year
Nizaha 2 years
Torrannor 1 year
Dragongem SELL

Quackles raised the good point that if Torrannor finishes out the Fan Favourite tree, we should get even more when we sell.

Stadium Expansion
YES - While currently it'd be about a decade to pay off the stadium if we do this, I expect fans to ramp up even more as we rise higher in First League. We can afford it now.

Glory Investments
Second Youth Coach
NO on spending glory for Youth work - We're at the point where almost anything from the youth academy is going to be better than what's on the team, and I think we should save our glory for now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

Assuming we lose the first round of the National Cup every time, just over four years actually at our current fan level.

Oops, for some dumb reason I was calculating only in terms of excess fans, which doesn't make much sense for our budget.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'll sign up for anything but a keeper.

I also didn't realize how much profit we're making (or not, after that vote) on ticket sales.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Are we suddenly that much better at scoring goals, or is our stronger defense giving us more chances on offense? It seems like these teams were a lot better at stopping us before.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Critical Contract - Kyoon Griffey Jr. - 2 years
Youth Signing - AM Grisar
Stadium Expansion - yes
Glory - Second youth coach, No spending on youth work

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pokeytax posted:

I understand your points about not wanting a default option, but please at least retain the concept of a Critical Contract and let people vote "1 year on non-critical contracts".

I'd be in favor of this. Even if votes can be made separately on each contract, there should be a relatively easy way for people to vote a slate, without having to identify which particular people go on the slate. (Of course that might also become a point of contention, in which case voters would just split them out).

Critical Contract - AJ_Impy: 2 year deal. I think we need skill players to survive relegation, and even if he's not the very best, he's worth keeping for financial reasons.

Youth Signing - 4-star is always worth it, no contention with the choice.

Stadium Expansion no. We'll be lucky to maintain even 5k this season.

Glory Investments: Expand Medical Center and hire Chief Physician

Youth: Request Amateur Forward

Other contracts:
Arcturas for 3 years
Megane II for 3 years
Kanthulhu for 2 years

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems kind of weird that the president doesn't allow for yo-yoing into the next division upward. So then the game mechanics would incentivize tanking, if you were playing in a mode that would fire you for this.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Contracts:
Coward - 2years
Fat Samurai - sell
Any other <=2-star player - 1 year
Any other >=3-star player - 2 years

Hire 1 Bench Coach

Sign Freude, the teenage shining spark

Request Keeper

Kangra fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 5, 2023

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

What kind? I assume you mean amateur keeper since that's the only we can afford and still get the bench coach you want, but I still need to ask to be sure.

Yeah, amateur, I forgot that we can spend the extra. (I also know that if the option wins out I'd have to skip my place in line this round). Personally I think Freude would be better as a forward, which is why I vote this option, but his controller can do what they wish.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Really, we need another shot at getting some more trophies on those pedestals. I am surprised we managed to win even the few we did, though luck bounces that way often enough I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm kind of in favor of holding off for half a year more.

All contracts 1 year
Hire 1 Bench Coach
Sign Rumpelmeier
No glory on youth work