Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I think the "(I'll regret this)" in the thread title already sums up what's wrong with this thread and the underlying moderation pretty nicely.

I realize it's some kind of attempt at humor, but it just serves to vaguely downplay the quality and relevance of the feedback, or any actions taken in response to it. Overall, it implies that moderation should be impervious to any feedback.

The intent behind the joke was that I'll see my self rolled asking for feedback. As much as I like myself, I definitely don't consider myself invulnerable, on SA or otherwise. The lesser in-joke was pointed at the just-concluded feedback thread for the D&D at large, which was less than civil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That was the most dogshit snipe I've ever done, so I'll rescue a real post into this fresh page too.

Saladman posted:

The Turkish vote on Finland joining NATO went through about an hour ago - just before midnight Ankara time! Unanimous support for their application. So, Finland is all set to join NATO now that it has unanimous formal approval from every country.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Saladman posted:

The Turkish vote on Finland joining NATO went through about an hour ago - just before midnight Ankara time! Unanimous support for their application. So, Finland is all set to join NATO now that it has unanimous formal approval from every country.

Something a bit weird about it, though --- it's a unanimous vote of ... less than half a parliament, if the tweet I saw was right (and the Turkish parliament on Wikipedia wasn't some other weird thing). I wonder what their quorum rules are?

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1641548223255805954

They seem to have 577 of the 600 seats filled, and 276*2=556.

I am probably reading too much on this, but I fail to understand the politics --- multi-party unanimity on one hand, but half the chamber not showing up on the other? Some sort of "it's not actually that important for Turkey" thing?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 31, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Saladman posted:

Congrats Finland :finland:

Nenonen posted:

It's a bit different for them but nothing drastic seems to be about to come. For the time being Russia has little leverage outside sabotage and hooliganism because everything is tied in Ukraine. Also, USA and UK gave security guarantees at the beginning of the process, so Sweden wouldn't be left alone and Russia knows this. Finally, Sweden's air force and navy were not defunded the same way that ground forces were, so there's not much of a likelihood of Russia trying to confront them in the Baltic Sea.

So do security guarantees mean US soldiers, equipment, both, something else? And do these guarantees have a listed end date or just until the US cancels it?

Sorry if this is out of bounds for the thread, I’ll stop if need be.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Your post is perfectly fine.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

So do security guarantees mean US soldiers, equipment, both, something else? And do these guarantees have a listed end date or just until the US cancels it?

This is a good question, I don't actually know for sure but the impression I have was that it's basically just Biden & whoever the UK prime minister was that week saying "we've got you covered, don't worry" - the idea being that this will probably be enough by itself until NATO membership is validated (for both Finland & Sweden).

I'm optimistic that it will be enough too... hopefully Sweden just has to wait until after Turkey's big election in mid-May (both parliament and president) and after that it's hopefully easier politically for Erdogan (or whoever) to just approve them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Going to rescue this post from the depths of feedback as well, as the subject is quite interesting.

Moon Slayer posted:

Someone on the inside leaked a huge trove of documents from NTC Vulkan, a Russian "contractor" that does cybercrimes, to Der Spiegel (in German).

Edit: Actually it was leaked to a reporter from Süddeutsche Zeitung first and then provided to Der Spiegel et all.

Here's a non-paywalled Washington Post article about it.

The lede:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The intent behind the joke was that I'll see my self rolled asking for feedback. As much as I like myself, I definitely don't consider myself invulnerable, on SA or otherwise. The lesser in-joke was pointed at the just-concluded feedback thread for the D&D at large, which was less than civil.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "rolled", but my English isn't always perfect. (Couldn't find anything good in dictionaries either.)

I think we all have to deal with the less than civil comments sometimes when they stem from understandable frustration. I think this also applies to some of the comments you give to people. They're justified, but in a rough shape.

Given the restraints, I think you're actually doing a great job here and I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone who could do better.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

And this one.

OddObserver posted:

This is kinda interesting --- an article on translation of Jewish religious texts into Ukrainian (focused on the Haggadah, the Passover text in particular), as one of the many cultural effects of the war.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-first-passover-haggadah-in-ukrainian-marks-a-communitys-break-with-russia/

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "rolled", but my English isn't always perfect. (Couldn't find anything good in dictionaries either.)

I think we all have to deal with the less than civil comments sometimes when they stem from understandable frustration. I think this also applies to some of the comments you give to people. They're justified, but in a rough shape.

Given the restraints, I think you're actually doing a great job here and I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone who could do better.

Rolled as in rolled over/beaten up/etcetera. Which hasn't happened even remotely, and instead we've covered quite a bit of ground I wanted to cover already.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

I was just wondering if you had mod tools available that could trend how many bans have been handed out over time for posts in this thread, since some people have claimed that they are afraid of breaking some rule and getting banned, while I was mentioning that I anecdotally rarely see bans handed out in here.

Oh no, we do not. I think I'm at >500 probations, most of them sixers, and at less than 5 bans, for the old EEPol, old U/R, and this thread combined.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cinci your doing a good job preventing this thread from turning into a cavalcade of horror. There is no educational benefit to showing people dying in a warzone. People trying to draw parallels to George Floyd are missing the fact that what made the George Floyd video important was that people needed to know about police brutality. Before that, the depth of police brutality was believed to be anomalous by many. That video and the surrounding protests proved it to be the norm.

So unless you are somehow unaware that a warzone involves a lot of dead people, there is nothing to learn from death videos.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

jaete posted:

This is a good question, I don't actually know for sure but the impression I have was that it's basically just Biden & whoever the UK prime minister was that week saying "we've got you covered, don't worry" - the idea being that this will probably be enough by itself until NATO membership is validated (for both Finland & Sweden).

I'm optimistic that it will be enough too... hopefully Sweden just has to wait until after Turkey's big election in mid-May (both parliament and president) and after that it's hopefully easier politically for Erdogan (or whoever) to just approve them

It also helps that this is a guarantee against a scenario with next to nil chance of happening. Russia going full imperial still legitimizes the threat and thus reasoning for joining NATO, but seeing as they are barely holding together and on average losing ground since this time last year against just Ukraine, the notion of Russia attacking Sweden at anytime during the application process was laughable since the start of the process. So I imagine both NATO and Sweden didn't have much concern about this security guarantee being tested.

Welcome to the NATO flock Finland! This is a nightmare come true for Putin.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm often too scared to post or discuss anything in this thread because it feels like one of those weird hyper-moderated reddit subs like r/relationships that have so many rules you could really interpret almost any post as possibly ban-worthy depending on how one of the myriad rules is interpreted. Like they have a "no posts involving violence or crimes" which yeah, makes sense as people don't want to read disturbing stories about physical abuse in a relationship. But then they'll go and ban someone because the story they posted involved their roommate not giving them enough sympathy after they stubbed their toe. Toe stubbing = violence as part of a story, thus ban.

I'll so often read through this thead and see probe after probe after probe for seemingly fine or even interesting content, then I'll click on the probe and it will just be some "read the rules!!" sort of reason. I think it's good to have a very serious no-jokes no side chatter thread for this, but I really yearn for a more casual but safe discussion zone to supplement it.

I end up just mostly shooting the poo poo with some of my Ukrainian friends to get that mix of news + shitposting + solidarity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Haven't done one of these in a while cause I've been busy with other things and also there have been less press conferences addressing these. Could be control of messaging regarding Ukraine, but could also be that the DOD press folks have been busy with prepping for and responding to congressional budget and posture hearings. Not a ton, as this is a general briefing and not specific to Ukraine.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/

Highlights:
-7,000 Ukrainians trained by USEUCOM since 2022.
-65 Ukrainians finished Patriot training in the US and have returned to Europe. Donated Patriot units are not yet in Ukraine.
-At the close of this month (March), 4,000+ soldiers done with training in Germany, and 1x M2 Bradley Brigade and 1x Stryker brigade will be done with combined arms training and be returned to Ukraine.
-Training two motorized infantry battalions in Germany presently

quote:

GEN. RYDER: On the training front, since Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine in 2022, U.S. European Command, U.S. Army Europe and Africa and Security Assistance Group Ukraine have trained more than 7,000 members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Just this week, 65 Ukrainian air defenders completed Patriot training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and have now arrived back in Europe. They're integrating with other Ukrainian air defenders, along with donated Patriot air defense equipment from the United States, Germany and the Netherlands. Once in Ukraine, the Patriot air defense system will add to Ukraine's layered air defenses to provide protection and shield from Russia's wanton, brutal attacks on innocent civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Meanwhile in Germany, at the close of this month, more than 4,000 Ukrainian soldiers and two brigades, one equipped with M2 Bradleys and one equipped with Strykers will have completed combined-arms training and have returned to Ukraine. Additional combined-arms training is currently underway at Grafenwoehr and Hohenfels training areas in Germany, with two motorized infantry battalions consisting of 1,200 Ukrainian Armed Forces personnel. Operator and maintenance training on donated platforms is also ongoing, with more than 3,000 Ukrainian soldiers having completed platform training and 40 different programs of instruction on more than 20 systems since April of 2022. Training for Ukrainian Forces is an international effort being conducted in partnership with our coalition partners, who are currently training more than 11,000 Ukrainian soldiers across 26 different nations. The U.S. will continue to provide training and work closely with our allies and partners to ensure the Ukrainian people have the security assistance they need to defend the country -- their country and repel Russian aggression. We remain committed to supporting Ukraine for as long as it takes.

Q: Okay, then just one quick thing. The White House announced earlier today that Russia has reached out again to North Korea for some additional weapons et cetera, support for the war. Has the Pentagon seen any indication that any other additional weapons or any other military support is either preparing or moving from North Korea to Russia?

GEN. RYDER: We have not at this time, beyond which had been previously announced beyond the shipment that Wagner Group had previously arranged for. But it's, again, something we continue to keep a close eye on.

Q: Just a very quick question on the Ukrainians being trained, the numbers you gave there. The Ukrainians who are currently in training, is there an effort to get that training completed before an anticipated Ukrainian counter-offensive? Is that sort of the schedule you're working on? And are there subsequent plans to bring more troops in, following this group on the combined arms training and -- and other systems?

GEN. RYDER: Were you trying to ask me for the date of a Ukrainian counter-offensive? I'm just kidding.

Q: No --

GEN. RYDER: I'm just kidding. Yeah. So -- so a couple of things there.

So first of all, again, I'm not going to talk about potential future operations, I'm not going to talk about timelines. You know, this training -- this program for the combined arms training began in January, and at the time, we announced that -- the course for the -- battalion level courses would take about five weeks each as we cycled forces through. So that is on schedule as these tranches of forces come through to provide that mechanized brigade combined-arms training. That is all on track and on pace.

In terms of additional Ukrainian forces, as has been the case from the beginning, that is a iterative discussion with the Ukrainians in terms of what their needs are, and then you know, keeping in mind that they need to be able to ensure that they have the forces they need on the actual battlefield. So you know, we'll continue to train them, continue to have those discussions on what kind of future training might they need. But in terms as it relates to any type of potential future operations. I'm just not going to be able to talk about that. Thank you.

Q: Thank you for taking my question. My question is related to Ukrainian aid. So last week, Republican lawmakers sent a letter to President Biden urging the administration to provide Ukraine with cluster munitions. So does DOD support using cluster munitions in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so again, I'm not going to get ahead of any announcements that we're making, so I don't have anything further on that. Thank you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Haven't done one of these in a while cause I've been busy with other things and also there have been less press conferences addressing these.

Thanks for doing these summations BTW they're useful to see where/what stuff is going to Ukraine.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't post a whole lot in this thread, but I try to read all of it (especially now that it's not 10 pages of posts per hour like a year ago!), so I'll just throw my two feedback cents in.

In general, I like the way this thread is run. I think I "get" cinci a little bit better than some (American?) posters, and his moderation does read a little blunt sometimes to Anglo sensibilities but I don't think he's as actively scornful as some people seem to think he is. Of course on SA a majority of the audience is Anglo so I dunno how cinci himself feels about his customer service face (as it were), but generally to me it seems pretty clear when he's telling the thread to knock some derail off, or whatever.

That said, I too am sometimes a bit wary about posting in this thread. I'm a (political) history nerd who doesn't know a god drat thing about military technology aside from boom bad, tree pretty level basics :eng99: This thread occasionally veers off into discussing parallels to (the somewhat tiresome) Hitler, WW1+2 and their interim, the collapse of the Third Reich as it pertains to Putin's trajectory going forward, Soviet cultural legacy, etc., which I personally find very interesting!, but it's also a mine-field of clancychat type stuff. Which is fair, this thread is meant to be about current events and not wild speculation! And I don't think there's a really easy, clear line to be drawn with historical references inside current geo-politics chat, which IMO is within the purview of this thread, so I post at my own risk I suppose.

I also participate in the conversation around Finnish matters since I live here, but there it seems more obvious what is relevant to the thread and what isn't.

All the news articles, and in particular the more analytical ones, posted here are a great resource IMO, and I very shamelessly share them around elsewhere as soon as I read something interesting here. I don't really understand the criticism posted earlier that news article posting in this thread is risky posting, as long as one does the barest minimum of reflection on the credibility of the source they're posting. This seems more of an issue with posting tweets, since twitter randos have all sorts of hot takes and tweets are very much a caveat emptor situation.

Humour is subjective, but I too don't really feel Simpsons memes add anything needed to the thread, and I've seen some Simpsons. The post where someone suggested Ukraine was getting a TIE fighter for their air forces did seem funny to me though :haw:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rappaport posted:

That said, I too am sometimes a bit wary about posting in this thread. I'm a (political) history nerd who doesn't know a god drat thing about military technology aside from boom bad, tree pretty level basics :eng99: This thread occasionally veers off into discussing parallels to (the somewhat tiresome) Hitler, WW1+2 and their interim, the collapse of the Third Reich as it pertains to Putin's trajectory going forward, Soviet cultural legacy, etc., which I personally find very interesting!, but it's also a mine-field of clancychat type stuff. Which is fair, this thread is meant to be about current events and not wild speculation! And I don't think there's a really easy, clear line to be drawn with historical references inside current geo-politics chat, which IMO is within the purview of this thread, so I post at my own risk I suppose.

Thank you for feedback. Quoting the bit where I'd like to also reply, historical derails as a rule are allowed, much like basically every other derail that knows when to stop up – I generally enjoy goons dropping in knowledge bombs, since it's kind of the point of the thread, so long that they know when to stop. The rule of thumb should is that I don't like off-topic derails that go on for multiple days, meaning that if it's an evening where people are dropping knowledge bombs about boats, and you have your own, just go in and post. If I want the derail to move asides, I'll ask explicitly, and the only reasons I have to pester it before a few hours/posts have passed is if 1) I smell a big fight, or 2) there's a more important ongoing topic to fry. What I like less, however, is seeing unprompted derails, as in dropping to just post about NATO history vs replying with further context/analysis to something from the ongoing discourse, and I do have my own reservations about whether if Putin-Hitler comparisons get the appropriate nuance. In particular, some of them feel like treating the Holocaust a bit casually, and if this is the suspicion and I don't have a clear reading, I'll just be hipfiring under the executive “don't be stupid” prerogative.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Could you expand on what you think is the bar, and how it is a tad high? I personally like seeing stuff like the umpteenth sanctions technicality as well, which is why I've posted an assload of it historically. I'm just not interested in posting them myself regularly any more, since I have no proof that I did not waste a lot of time when I did so the last time.

I feel that something must have got lost in translation for you to get to the point where you're typing things like the bolded bit. There is no standard for how good or how bad something has to be for you to post it. If you would like to post something, you should simply post (respectfully of rules). I don't like spending hours writing a post that gets 0 replies, since I have no way to tell then how many people found it useful, but that's my decision as a poster.

I'll only say this because you asked for expansion, since I honestly don't have any major complaints with the moderation.

I'll refer to this post by you:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

All 22 of them combined elicited about 10 replies total. We will not be discussing here why that was so. While I was gone for a month from my duties, I spent some time reflecting on this, and one of the conclusions I had was that my moderation around tolerating giant Twitter walls and otherwise streamlining the news-to-posters pipeline may have had a negative impact on the level of nuance that individual stories may be treated to.

And that's the core theme for my moderation plans for the next quarter or two – to gradually raise the quality “floor” for presentation of material in the thread, so that people are more interested in sharing and consuming it.

Basically what you presented here was that you had an idea of what the "floor" of quality in this thread should be. It feels like you're treating the the thread posters as a disappointed teacher would. The thread is unfortunately not as insightful and deep as it could be (because come on, we're just a bunch of assholes on a dead website) and it is your burden as a mod to raise the quality. It is a patronizing and elitist attitude to have, and in your position as a volunteer forum mod on the internet, it's probably not entirely wrong, but I think it sends the wrong message. People shouldn't be afraid to :justpost: for fear of lowering thread quality.

I think you already mentioned the Simpsons meme but there are other harmless one liners that while aren't the peak of comedy probably didn't need a probe on sight like these:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4014579&pagenumber=174&perpage=40#post529358688

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4014579&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post529300539

I think the rules as you noted have grown from a lot of legacy issues that have been mitigated by the creation of other threads now. Hell, I remember reading the original Geneva convention derail and the rule that got added but didn't notice the rule covered all international conventions period and ate a probe for it. I personally don't mind eating 6 hr probes for posting in a high risk posting zone and breaking the rules, but that's the sort or stuff that could probably use some toning down - a list of inexplicably banned topics from a year ago is just weird.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

OddObserver posted:

This is kinda interesting --- an article on translation of Jewish religious texts into Ukrainian (focused on the Haggadah, the Passover text in particular), as one of the many cultural effects of the war.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-first-passover-haggadah-in-ukrainian-marks-a-communitys-break-with-russia/

My great-grandparents came from somewhere in Eastern Europe (one set put "Russia" on the 1910 census), and it's always jarring to consider that there might still be relatives back there, as remote as it seems. Really enjoyed reading this.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zat posted:

After Hungary and Turkey have delivered their acceptance letters to the US State Department, NATO will send Finland an invitation letter, and Finland sends back an acceptance letter. When this final letter reaches the US State Dept., Finland officially becomes a full NATO member immediately.

This is handled by the US State Department? Isn't NATO HQ in Belgium?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I'll only say this because you asked for expansion, since I honestly don't have any major complaints with the moderation.

I'll refer to this post by you:

Basically what you presented here was that you had an idea of what the "floor" of quality in this thread should be. It feels like you're treating the the thread posters as a disappointed teacher would. The thread is unfortunately not as insightful and deep as it could be (because come on, we're just a bunch of assholes on a dead website) and it is your burden as a mod to raise the quality. It is a patronizing and elitist attitude to have, and in your position as a volunteer forum mod on the internet, it's probably not entirely wrong, but I think it sends the wrong message. People shouldn't be afraid to :justpost: for fear of lowering thread quality.

I think you already mentioned the Simpsons meme but there are other harmless one liners that while aren't the peak of comedy probably didn't need a probe on sight like these:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4014579&pagenumber=174&perpage=40#post529358688

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4014579&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post529300539

I think the rules as you noted have grown from a lot of legacy issues that have been mitigated by the creation of other threads now. Hell, I remember reading the original Geneva convention derail and the rule that got added but didn't notice the rule covered all international conventions period and ate a probe for it. I personally don't mind eating 6 hr probes for posting in a high risk posting zone and breaking the rules, but that's the sort or stuff that could probably use some toning down - a list of inexplicably banned topics from a year ago is just weird.

This is genuinely useful, thank you.

“Floor” was a bad choice of wording on my end, that I see now. What was meant with “raising the floor of presentation quality” was dropping the implicit waiver to the D&D standard of explaining the links you post in a sentence or two. I tried to allude to that by blaming my own moderation in the bit, but I should've been considerably clearer. All posts that make an honest effort to be broadly on topic and in line with the thread rules as they understand them are as good for me as I have the gall to ask, and any “problems” with them are problems exclusively with the expectations that I've set for them.

Simpsons meme was mentioned by me, since I feel that is one of the more surprising weak joke probations that people get for, as with no meaningful reference frame for Simpsons I consider myself to be fairly out there for an SA mod. On the joke posts you link, the thing is that I don't find either of them funny at all. Like, 0/10 white noise in my subjective opinion, and so even with a more chill attitude to joke-only posts either is a natural :gb2gbs: probation.

Banned topics is a tricky one, since NATO rule did halve the post volume back in the day, literally. Like, I think I could be brave enough to deal with it altogether, but if it goes back into daily “debate me cowards” stuff about 30 years old history then it's going to come back. Not going to lie to you, definitely not sold on removing it. Stuff like Geneva, though, I can probably compact into some generic “don't be stupid” thing of some shape. If that doesn't work, or some other rules change in the update, then we can also, of course, revert to the old stuff, but, for now, I'm planning the changes so that the modding corresponds to the update, rather than “well actually too bad that you didn't play Destiny 1 season 84…”.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

buglord posted:

This is not a strictly defined thing (just like the response to an attack on a NATO member is not decided beforehand), but think of the British and French guarantees to Poland in 1939. Which in the end didn't help Poland, but it was a more unique situation with Poland situated between Nazis and Stalin (and Stalin being needed to defeat the former).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

This is handled by the US State Department? Isn't NATO HQ in Belgium?

The original treaty was signed in Washington DC in 1949 and the accords are stored there.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sweden and neighbors have already been talking about supporting one another in the event of Russia doing anything haven't they? Finland being in NATO just means that they can afford to make more units/supplies stocked and ready for Russia deciding for whatever reason it can take Gotland or whatever instead of having to worry about having to fight Russia on it's own if it tries to invade Finland.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ukraine will boycott competitions where athletes from Russia will be represented. This is a decision of the Government of Ukraine

quote:

Ukrainian athletes will not be able to compete in tournaments where athletes from Russia or Belarus will be represented. The relevant decision was adopted by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. The Minister of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Oleg Nemchinov, announced this on the air of the Yedyni Novosti telethon.

The protocol decision, which was adopted by the Government of Ukraine, was submitted at the suggestion of the Minister of Youth and Sports of Ukraine, as well as the President of the NOC of Ukraine Vadym Gutzait. This decision applies to all competitions, including qualifying starts for the 2024 Olympics. This "protocol decision" has not yet been published on the website of the Government of Ukraine, it is unknown how exactly it will work.

Ukraine will not compete in Olympic events if Russians or Belorussians are entered. I assume Ukraine will be lobbying other nations to join them. Shades of the 1980 and 1984 Olympics in Moscow and Los Angeles.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine will boycott competitions where athletes from Russia will be represented. This is a decision of the Government of Ukraine

Ukraine will not compete in Olympic events if Russians or Belorussians are entered. I assume Ukraine will be lobbying other nations to join them. Shades of the 1980 and 1984 Olympics in Moscow and Los Angeles.

I feel like this won't impact the Olympics because they already have to compete under neutral flags. I feel like that is more of a reaction against other events without that bar from this fencing event that went viral:
https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-fencing-athletes-china-russia-anti-war-banner-1790419

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

I feel like this won't impact the Olympics because they already have to compete under neutral flags. I feel like that is more of a reaction against other events without that bar from this fencing event that went viral:
https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-fencing-athletes-china-russia-anti-war-banner-1790419

This is directly in reaction to the IOC allowing Russians to compete neutrally. The Ukrainians don't want them there at all.

The article does say they haven't really thought through the details yet, so there will undoubtedly be more to come on the issue.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Cinci honestly the best and most honest feedback I can give you is to tell you to keep doing what you are currently doing but dial it back to about 70% of current. That would pretty much take care of it. You're great about derails and everything but if you can just dial back everything just a bit, it would be the perfect balance for what this thread needs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

It's primarily about the Olympics. I think the only people who buy the "neutral flag" thing are the IOC.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It's primarily about the Olympics. I think the only people who buy the "neutral flag" thing are the IOC.

Apologies, I misread the quote:

quote:

"At the meeting of the Government, a protocol decision was adopted on the proposal of colleague Gutzeit that we participate in qualifying competitions [for the 2024 Olympics] only where there are no Russians. Accordingly, participation outside these criteria can be grounds for depriving federations of national status." Nemchinov said.

Guess we'll see how it shakes out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

I was just wondering if you had mod tools available that could trend how many bans have been handed out over time for posts in this thread, since some people have claimed that they are afraid of breaking some rule and getting banned, while I was mentioning that I anecdotally rarely see bans handed out in here.

Astral has helped out with this, offering a hack for the mod queue that allows to pull out some stats. Doesn't allow splitting by thread or probation duration easily, but in total I've issued
  • 1304 probations over >100k posts (at least 91k about the war + stuff like US CE etcetera);
  • 13 bans – 10 in this thread, of which 4 were site rules, and 1 was user-requested; or 1 real ban every ~450 pages, in other words;
  • 2 permabans for reregs posting elsewhere in D&D;
  • 152 title changes (~100 of that should be the Ghost of Kyiv tags).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 31, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Astral has helped out with this, offering a hack for the mod queue that allows to pull out some stats. Doesn't allow splitting by thread or probation duration easily, but in total I've issued
  • 1304 probations over >100k posts (at least 91k about the war + stuff like US CE etcetera);
  • 13 bans – 10 in this thread, of which 4 were site rules, and 1 was user-requested; or 1 real ban every ~450 pages, in other words;
  • 2 permabans for reregs posting elsewhere in D&D;
  • 152 title changes (~100 of that should be the Ghost of Kyiv tags).

Thanks for looking into it. In conclusion: :justpost:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hi, I'm a lurker and I generally like the way things are in the Ukraine thread. I can see why some users might be reticent to post, but I don't think it's entirely a bad thing -- speaking for myself, I don't post because I genuinely don't have anything to add. I think it's fine for a thread about a serious subject to be the domain of people who know the culture, region, geopolitics, etc, and those of us who aren't so tuned in to just chill and absorb the information.

Just my $0.02. I wouldn't be affected much if the thread shifted things around a bit, either way. Hats off to all the goons who do the work with the research, high-quality articles, interviews, etc. :tipshat:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Cinci honestly the best and most honest feedback I can give you is to tell you to keep doing what you are currently doing but dial it back to about 70% of current. That would pretty much take care of it. You're great about derails and everything but if you can just dial back everything just a bit, it would be the perfect balance for what this thread needs.

This is close to my opinion.

I remember when you last quit, the thread quality dropped noticeably. (No offense to who modded it for a while, wouldn't have fared much better myself) So mostly you are doing a real great job, but if you want to make it better, it would be better if either you were a scooch more laid back, or either the rules were communicated better so people would have a better feel for where the line is. Because I have also hesitated posting here occasionally because I feared my posting would not make the cut.

However, I believe this thread can't be viewed in isolation from the GBS thread. I really appreciate the quite tight curation of this one as when I feel like posting unfunny or terrible hot takes, I take them to gibbis, and when I have more time to put in more serious discussion there isn't a place on the internet I'd rather be. So because there is one really laid back thread on GBS, this one can afford to differrentiate and be more serious. (Within reason, of course)

But most importantly take it easy! You are doing fine. As long as you keep the six-shooter cocked and loaded, the thread quality is pretty good as everyone knows the sheriff is in town. Don't want to see you put in 500 hours per week on the thread and then just burn out and leave. Thats when the Simpsons come in.

P.S.

Good grief that was incoherent. Apologies, my methyltheobromine hasn't kicked in yet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Governments can't outright force national olympic committees to boycott (though they have ties) nor can they stop citizens from participating, and France is really unlikely to cancel the Olympic games next year only to spite Russia. So the chaos option would be that Russian and western athletes would take part under either Olympic flag or national Olympic Committee flag, as was seen in 1980. It would be an improvement, tbh. They couldn't participate in team sports but I don't think it matters much in summer games. In Winter Olympics it would offer a chance for Switzerland to fight for olympic gold against, dunno, China?

What should be more effective is if big sponsors realise that this is no longer an effective use for their millions. Frankly the IOC should be burned to ground and hopefully this will lead towards it.

One final sad thought: future paralympics are going to be, uh, different. :stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The French government could always refuse to grant visas to Russian athletes, coaches, and support staff, and call the IOCs bluff

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

OddObserver posted:

Something a bit weird about it, though --- it's a unanimous vote of ... less than half a parliament, if the tweet I saw was right (and the Turkish parliament on Wikipedia wasn't some other weird thing). I wonder what their quorum rules are?

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1641548223255805954

They seem to have 577 of the 600 seats filled, and 276*2=556.

I am probably reading too much on this, but I fail to understand the politics --- multi-party unanimity on one hand, but half the chamber not showing up on the other? Some sort of "it's not actually that important for Turkey" thing?

I'm no expert on Turkiye's political system, but if there is unanimous support and everyone knew it wasn't going to be a close vote then all the politicians simply didn't need to be there until midnight to push the vote through. Plenty of politicians would be happy to take the early mark and not have to be in Ankara for the vote

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Votes can always be a little funny in many parliaments. In some it's customary that if someone has an important life event (birth, death, birthdays etc) on the day of a vote, that they buddy up with someone who would vote the opposite of them, and they both don't vote. So the balance of the vote isn't affected and they can stay away.

Similarly, if there's a majority threshold for a vote and everyone knows a group has reached it, showing up to vote against is kind of pointless. So outside of making a political statement, you might as well do something else.

This kind of stuff is especially prevalent in parliamentary systems where all the work is done outside of parliament (in working groups etc) and the floor is primarily used for voting (and grandstanding).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's also ramadan so it could be that some old conservatives who take the fast seriously don't want to wait to the night to get back to their family and have dinner. Maybe.

As an off-topic example of how it can affect politics... ramadan is also the reason why Lebanon is in even more chaos than usually. The prime minister announced that the switch to summer time should happen a month later so people don't have to wait an hour longer for sunset. Now the nation is running on two times for a month.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nenonen posted:

It's also ramadan so it could be that some old conservatives who take the fast seriously don't want to wait to the night to get back to their family and have dinner. Maybe.

As an off-topic example of how it can affect politics... ramadan is also the reason why Lebanon is in even more chaos than usually. The prime minister announced that the switch to summer time should happen a month later so people don't have to wait an hour longer for sunset. Now the nation is running on two times for a month.

Why not time nighttime in the middle of the day then so people can eat at work and sleep when it's bright out?