Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I wonder if anyone is watching this expecting an actual plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mazed posted:

I wonder if anyone is watching this expecting an actual plot.

I'm not, I knew from day one this was just an episodic comedy series.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

This suffers a bit from John Carter syndrome if you take it too seriously: it's been referenced by so many things over the past decades that it feels a bit derivative at first glance, but it's actually integral. This is what so much of anime has been derived from, so the best thing to do is sit back and enjoy the ride, along with the occasional "Oh, so that's where they got such-and-such character or plot from."

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
the Onitsuka Tiger ad showed up in my instagram feed today and hell yeah the algorithm really does know me

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I forgot how fast Shinobu dropped Ataru when Mendo showed up lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mendo was a good addition to the cast.

Despite usually hating characters like Mendou, I really love him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Mendou is Yukio Mishima but 1% Less Gay

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Watched the first episode for old time's sake. Quality art and animation, love the colors. Have they mentioned how many episodes are being planned?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's 4 cour.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's 4 cour.
which is apparently 46 for people who don’t know the cool kid lingo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 31, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larryb posted:

Is it true that this is more of a “best of” rather than a full adaption of the manga? I thought I heard something along those lines before the reboot came out

it's in the OP!! read the OP!! gently caress you!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
never read ops

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

symbolic posted:

it's in the OP!! read the OP!! gently caress you!!

Ok nevermind then, though to be fair the way you worded it made it seem like you weren’t 100% sure so I was just asking if anyone has any clarification. 46 episodes is a decent length regardless though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 31, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

never read ops

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

40+ episodes with the best parts and way less fluff that would otherwise pad a 200 run is pretty alright. I must have watched like 60 or more of those back in the day and can't remember a thing.

I still have no idea who this remake is for, but I'll be there, watching the occasional episode.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

I still have no idea who this remake is for, but I'll be there, watching the occasional episode.

it's for us, the weebs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

for real tho, it seems like it's made for both ppl who've seen the OG (reanimated in David's gorgeous af style and with a lot of fluff cut out) and newcomers (condensed version of the series while still being consistently quality)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While the first anime made some improvements here and there I admit I kind of like Lum’s manga personality better (which the reboot appears to be sticking closer to)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'll tell y'all one thing: in no way did I expect weeks ago that I'd be watching a bunch of new series at once and much less a full remake of Lum along with it. It's an amazing (and weird) season.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

I'll tell y'all one thing: in no way did I expect weeks ago that I'd be watching a bunch of new series at once and much less a full remake of Lum along with it. It's an amazing (and weird) season.

im a filthy zoomer & only started watching anime a few years back so this is the first season im actually watching stuff as it's airing. i've learned that waiting sucks but anime as expected still pwns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't been a seasonal anime watcher in a very very long time but this season grabbed me. Lum is powerful

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For some strange reason I feel like I’m obligated to watch this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Saoshyant posted:

I still have no idea who this remake is for
dave pro decided to make a TV series out of the girl in the gifs from all the 2014 future funk youtubes

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

the way they do Lum's design and colors here is like, visual soda pop.

like that's the metaphor. She's fizzy. Sparkling but not literally sparkling. A big part of it's the hair, which doesn't have an actual color except whatever works for the scene, the blue-teal being just an incidental default, which is just a fantastic choice.

there is an obvious explanation for why a bikini anime babe works as a design, but it's not quite the full explanation for why Lum works so well.

TheKingofSprings posted:

For some strange reason I feel like I’m obligated to watch this

dehumanize yourself and face to Lum

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Mazed posted:

there is an obvious explanation for why a bikini anime babe works as a design, but it's not quite the full explanation for why Lum works so well.
weebs have a unique attraction to the idea that a hot woman in her underwear will literally fall out of the sky and be obsessively in love with a completely unremarkable and clueless loser who never has to make an effort.

apropos of nothing: the best-known western lum cosplayer of the 21st century ended up being a neo-nazi who attended Charlottesville lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

please post normally in my thread ty

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

symbolic posted:

that’s the reason, op. it’s a harem anime from the 80s. the girls are inexplicably hot yet interested in a totally unremarkable, self-insert dope.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

symbolic posted:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TenementFunster posted:

that’s the reason, op. it’s a harem anime from the 80s. the girls are inexplicably hot yet interested in a totally unremarkable, self-insert dope.
How to say you haven't seen Urusei Yatsura without saying you haven't seen Urusei Yatsura.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

watch urusei yatsura

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

lmao as if anyone wants to self-insert as Ataru.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
UY has more in common with Seinfeld, they're all atrocious people who will keep doing this week after week and it's great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

lmao as if anyone wants to self-insert as Ataru.

Also the UY creator is a woman who’s cooler than Ataru could ever hope to be (probably more successful and better adjusted as well)

But yeah, “Anime Seinfeld” is a pretty good way of describing the series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 3, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’ve only seen the first movie and it made me cry from laughing back in… 98? 99? Finally got it on disc. Are the sequel movies any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve only seen the first movie and it made me cry from laughing back in… 98? 99? Finally got it on disc. Are the sequel movies any good?

I know there was a movie that essentially served as a series finale to the original show at least but I forget which one it was

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Beautiful Dreamer is one of the greatest animated movies of all time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Beautiful Dreamer is phenomenal.

Also controversial, since Takahashi was allegedly not pleased with it at all, but Mamoru Oshii's word on the premise being a sort of "logical conclusion" to UY isn't all that far-fetched, and the characters all more or less behave exactly as they would in said premise.

As it stands, it's a fantastic surreal comedy and a must-watch of 80s anime films, and if you're new to UY but have been keeping up with the 2022 episodes, you already know enough about the majority of the characters in it that you won't be too lost going in.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

I know there was a movie that essentially served as a series finale to the original show at least but I forget which one it was

The fifth one: "Final Chapter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Here's my quick takes on them all:

Beautiful Dreamer - A legit masterpiece. If you haven't seen it you absolutely gotta fix that!
Remember My Love - Decent. There's some solid jokes but coming off the heels of the two Oshii movies it just pales in comparison since there's not much to dig in to wrt the story.
Lum the Forever - Weird in a cool way. Takes a lot of big swings in a way I can't help but respect. Pretty good!
The Final Chapter - It's fine. Like a lot of Takahashi endings for her comedy series it doesn't make for a great *ending* but there are some good moments in it.
Always My Darling - The only one I think is actually bad. The love story between the two original characters is a bore and the rest of it feels like reheated leftovers. It was the first UY thing in several years and it just feels like a reunion special that lifelessly goes through the motions.

Generally, I feel like all of them but the last one are worth checking out.

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 3, 2022