Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bedpan posted:

This is the one I roll around in my head a lot. I live in Portland, Oregon so homelessness is a visible thing and I know that I would be joining the people on the streets if I lost my job and/or had a major health event.

Ultimately, I see homelessness as one of the "outcome is bad but causes are very good" things that will never and can never get better under the liberal capitalist regime. Beyond that, homelessness, and the threat of homelessness, are not byproducts but main products of the current economic and political systems. Homelessness cannot be solved because the current system produces homelessness.

I don't know when or if we will ever get to the point where the homeless are openly executed on the street. As things get worse though, the liberals will become more and more open to extreme solutions. I feel like there is still a long way to go in making the lives of the homeless even more miserable. I'll know we are closer to that end goal when more liberals go on television to cut commercials about how they will personally destroy private property due to the owner having no fixed address.

That is the real radicalization: destruction of private property. We all know liberals don't value life at one jot but seeing liberals destroy private property is a sign of extremism.

Homeless already are executed on the street occasionally by the police. Been happening forever and get news coverage. They are moments where the state is directly reminding the wage-workers what awaits them if they don't keep producing profits for the ownership class, like you said, a problem that fundamentally cannot be solved in a capitalist economic system. Street execution by cops isn't an aberration, it's a necessity.

Was it Seattle that recently adopted an actual medieval penal code where homeless people have been shuffled further and further outside of city limits, where you get like. Ostracized zip code by zip code until it's Out of sight, out of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
As someone who is constantly on the edge of homelessness, and is in a place where the cops are loving everywhere on constant patrol due to the immigrant crises, I keep wondering how long until there's just open air camps the homeless are not permitted to leave, like that one star trek episode. I keep wondering when Capital is just going to return them/(me :smith:) to the workforce as prison slave labor.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The city I love dearly is being strangled by the powers that be and you know what? I don't like it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

As someone who is constantly on the edge of homelessness, and is in a place where the cops are loving everywhere on constant patrol due to the immigrant crises, I keep wondering how long until there's just open air camps the homeless are not permitted to leave, like that one star trek episode. I keep wondering when Capital is just going to return them/(me :smith:) to the workforce as prison slave labor.

This is exactly where I see this stuff going. When asked to decide between cruelty and compassion people will find a way to talk themselves into cruelty every time

Fortaleza posted:

The city I love dearly is being strangled by the powers that be and you know what? I don't like it

Yeah it’s really sad. I’m curious to see how the charter reform goes. Lots of interesting stuff in it, so off course Mingus the dingus is carrying water for PBA and has proposed a much worse version so that’ll be interesting

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is exactly where I see this stuff going. When asked to decide between cruelty and compassion people will find a way to talk themselves into cruelty every time

Yeah it’s really sad. I’m curious to see how the charter reform goes. Lots of interesting stuff in it, so off course Mingus the dingus is carrying water for PBA and has proposed a much worse version so that’ll be interesting

Gloating about having a better voting system is one of the perks of living here I'm looking forward to geeking out over ranked choice STV and gloating even harder

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
LA has basically established those open air camps for a while now

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

Gloating about having a better voting system is one of the perks of living here I'm looking forward to geeking out over ranked choice STV and gloating even harder

The multi member districts is actually the most interesting part of it for me

Part of going from all city commissioners being elected at large to a district system is that who draws the districts and how are they manipulated to give Portland an even more conservative city government

But the top three from each district is kind of fascinating to me. If nothing else, it’s going to result in a far more diverse range of voices, for better and worse

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

Homeless already are executed on the street occasionally by the police. Been happening forever and get news coverage. They are moments where the state is directly reminding the wage-workers what awaits them if they don't keep producing profits for the ownership class, like you said, a problem that fundamentally cannot be solved in a capitalist economic system. Street execution by cops isn't an aberration, it's a necessity.

So how many Squid Games/Hostel poo poo for the homeless do you think the American ruling class is operating right now?

I’d say at least 3

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thalweg posted:

Wait that's why that sculpture is there? When i visited for the first time it was basically introduced to me as a whimsical landmark. What the gently caress lol

thalweg posted:

Wait that's why that sculpture is there? When i visited for the first time it was basically introduced to me as a whimsical landmark. What the gently caress lol

No way, jfc. But also, of course. :mad:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
One way to keep the poors poor is to keep them illiterate https://www.thinkimpact.com/literacy-statistics/#:~:text=21%25%20of%20adults%20in%20the,were%20born%20outside%20the%20US.

54% of Americans are more illiterate than 6th graders, and 21% aren’t even literate at all :stare:

Barbarous cracker nation always astounds me with the cruelty

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bedpan posted:

This is the one I roll around in my head a lot. I live in Portland, Oregon so homelessness is a visible thing and I know that I would be joining the people on the streets if I lost my job and/or had a major health event.

Ultimately, I see homelessness as one of the "outcome is bad but causes are very good" things that will never and can never get better under the liberal capitalist regime. Beyond that, homelessness, and the threat of homelessness, are not byproducts but main products of the current economic and political systems. Homelessness cannot be solved because the current system produces homelessness.

I don't know when or if we will ever get to the point where the homeless are openly executed on the street. As things get worse though, the liberals will become more and more open to extreme solutions. I feel like there is still a long way to go in making the lives of the homeless even more miserable. I'll know we are closer to that end goal when more liberals go on television to cut commercials about how they will personally destroy private property due to the owner having no fixed address.

That is the real radicalization: destruction of private property. We all know liberals don't value life at one jot but seeing liberals destroy private property is a sign of extremism.

It is also humorous how little Wheeler and most of the city care or even attempt to their jobs. It the last 13 years, the Portland city government specifically has become a hollow shell of a government that exists to “administer” the city not improve overwhelming issues in it. I would care it to the Vichy but they were probably more proactive.

There is also the other big issue that is coming from this is Fentanyl, which seems mysteriously parallel to the crack/meth waves of years past.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

I should clarify that by street executions, I mean a formal program to literally massacre the homeless versus the current strategy of maneuvering the homeless into a position where they are more likely to have encounters with the police and thus, be more likely to be extrajudicially executed.

I don't think we will see a program to conduct genocide on the homeless, at least not yet. Things are not bad enough for that to happen. In other words, there is still a lot of room for liberals to make life for the homeless even worse, even more miserable, even more degrading, and even more precarious.

However, if or when it is actually seriously floated to "solve" the homeless crisis by directly killing the homeless, I do entirely expect the liberals to support such a program.

In Training posted:

Was it Seattle that recently adopted an actual medieval penal code where homeless people have been shuffled further and further outside of city limits, where you get like. Ostracized zip code by zip code until it's Out of sight, out of mind.

Something like this seems more likely: increasing measures to criminalize vagrancy/homelessness, to the point that homelessness to incarceration is a direct pipeline that doesn't have an escape, like the end of an imposed sentence. Incarceration would be a permanent condition until the person would be able to post a vagrancy bond "proving" their income or means. That this would be something essentially impossible to achieve while incarcerated is not an oversight. Something like this operated in the South as a way to guarantee a population of incarcerated people who could be exploited for their labor.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It is also humorous how little Wheeler and most of the city care or even attempt to their jobs.

This is modern managerialist thinking. They are there to occupy the titled positions, to accumulate prestige and honors, and to be professional, technocratic functionaries.

Nowhere in the position are expectations to actually do anything to reform the system or alleviate the problems. Modern, neoliberal thinking has almost entirely stripped from government any ability to act proactively or reactively. If you want to change the world, you are supposed to start/join a corporation of some sort, not go into government.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bedpan posted:

This is modern managerialist thinking. They are there to occupy the titled positions, to accumulate prestige and honors, and to be professional, technocratic functionaries.

Nowhere in the position are expectations to actually do anything to reform the system or alleviate the problems. Modern, neoliberal thinking has almost entirely stripped from government any ability to act proactively or reactively. If you want to change the world, you are supposed to start/join a corporation of some sort, not go into government.

It is more striking perhaps in Portland where the city itself is simply falling apart. It is clear the material reality doesn’t matter (to the upper middle class) as long as property values remain stable.

For the empire to work, it needs cheap energy/low inflation/high asset values and a way to enforce its way with violence.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It is more striking perhaps in Portland where the city itself is simply falling apart. It is clear the material reality doesn’t matter (to the upper middle class) as long as property values remain stable.

The material reality of the upper-middle classes and up very clearly matters to those same classes. The material reality of everyone else in the system, however, is of no moment whatsoever.

Interestingly, public goods apparently do not factor into the considerations of material reality. The degradation of the surrounding world is irrelevant as long as, property values continue to rise.

Although from the hostility people express towards public toilets, benches, and trash cans, it seems the material reality of the upper-middle classes and up is in fact served by the degradation of the city and the surrounding world.

Ardennes posted:

For the empire to work, it needs cheap energy/low inflation/high asset values and a way to enforce its way with violence.

Does anyone care about the empire "working?" Even cheap energy and low inflation fall to the overriding importance of high and growing asset valuations. If energy costs and inflation triple, how is that of any interest at all to the landholder who's asset valuations have kept pace and who can continue to rely on the expenses of the security services continuing to be met and met by levies on the wealth of the community as a whole, and not just those who benefit the most?

I guess my point is that there exists, still, quite a lot of room for things to get nastier, more grasping, and more evil and for the empire to remain.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Oct 19, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bedpan posted:

Does anyone care about the empire "working?" Even cheap energy and low inflation fall to the overriding importance of high and growing asset valuations. If energy costs and inflation triple, how is that of any interest at all to the landholder who's asset valuations have kept pace and who can continue to rely on the expenses of the security services continuing to be met and met by levies on the wealth of the community as a whole, and not just those who benefit the most?

I guess my point is that there exists, still, quite a lot of room for things to get nastier, more grasping, and more evil and for the empire to remain.

The power of no empire is infinite and it is the same for the United States, higher rates are required to continue to strength the USD and that eventually places pressure on all other asset classes. They would prefer if values spiraled up forever but the reality is that requires control over energy markets.

There is plenty of room still…but doesn’t mean things aren’t going sideways in a big way. It just American society is isolated from the reality of events that are transpiring.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

The material reality of the upper-middle classes and up very clearly matters to those same classes. The material reality of everyone else in the system, however, is of no moment whatsoever.

Interestingly, public goods apparently do not factor into the considerations of material reality. The degradation of the surrounding world is irrelevant as long as, property values continue to rise.

Although from the hostility people express towards public toilets, benches, and trash cans, it seems the material reality of the upper-middle classes and up is in fact served by the degradation of the city and the surrounding world.

It’s absolutely true that the degradation is not just serving these interests but is intentional. This is where local media comes into it, highlighting every aspect of decay and whipping up public fervor in support of the worst solutions. Police strikes that do little to actually go after crime but serve to make the public fearful. Continuous fear mongering and it’s immediately perceptible because it’s all out in the open. There are kinder more humane ways to solve these problems that are nearly impossible because they conflict with the central premise of the US economy. But, it certainly serves the vested interests agenda to let the problem fester as publicly as possible until police state crackdowns and incarceration are seen as just common sense solutions.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/tedwheeler/status/1582858762955632640

did this get posted yet? what the gently caress is going on in this city

e: sorry this probably looks mostly normal if you don't have Roddy Piper's glasses on loan. why is the mayor advertising an event giving away a limited number of anti-theft vehicle clubs. (unless thats just a name for those steering wheel bars? idk)

JamesKPolk has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Oct 19, 2022

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

This is the Official CSPAM Portland thread now.

Don't forget to vote to remove "slavery and indentured servitude is totally OK" from the state constitution finally lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

https://twitter.com/tedwheeler/status/1582858762955632640

did this get posted yet? what the gently caress is going on in this city

e: sorry this probably looks mostly normal if you don't have Roddy Piper's glasses on loan. why is the mayor advertising an event giving away a limited number of anti-theft vehicle clubs. (unless thats just a name for those steering wheel bars? idk)

Catalytic converter theft is all over the news. It’s constant. People crawling under cars and cutting them out in the middle of the night to sell for the metals. It’s kind of like people stripping vacant buildings for the copper wire. How prevalent is it actually in the grand scheme of things? I don’t know, because I haven’t seen any hard numbers, just anecdotal accounts. Like porch pirates, it could be a real endemic, or it could be mostly a media driven frenzy. There was a guy who got shot while doing it last winter or the winter before, which is very sad

I am not really sure how etching the catalytic converter prevents it from being cut out and sold tho

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The best part of the catalytic converter crisis is it was orchestrated by a series of people in Lake Oswego, the incredibly white and wealthy suburb of Portland where they were shipping thousands and thousands of them overseas, like 22 million worth of them.

And it wasn't random theft by the unhoused or the media narrative of string out tweakers spontaneously stealing them because they can't control themselves, it was an organized crime ring lead by a wealthy rear end white dude.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My family in the suburbs says they dont have a homelessness problem in their community, thats just in the city. It's not true of course, it used to be that if you traveled everywhere by car, from gated neighborhood to corporate office too separated by traffic and distance to be traversable, you would never see it if you didn't want to. Lately I think they simply pretend not to see all the tents in the thin pockets of trees between their subdivisions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The best part of the catalytic converter crisis is it was orchestrated by a series of people in Lake Oswego, the incredibly white and wealthy suburb of Portland where they were shipping thousands and thousands of them overseas, like 22 million worth of them.

And it wasn't random theft by the unhoused or the media narrative of string out tweakers spontaneously stealing them because they can't control themselves, it was an organized crime ring lead by a wealthy rear end white dude.

Lake Oswego also has a zero tolerance policy not only against camping but anyone that “doesn’t look right.”

Portland’s richer suburbs have been isolated from the issue because they have militant police forces there to make sure it isn’t their problem.

———

That said, it isn’t really just the Portland metro. San Francisco has clearly been shipping their homeless en masse to Oakland.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blockade posted:

My family in the suburbs says they dont have a homelessness problem in their community, thats just in the city. It's not true of course, it used to be that if you traveled everywhere by car, from gated neighborhood to corporate office too separated by traffic and distance to be traversable, you would never see it if you didn't want to. Lately I think they simply pretend not to see all the tents in the thin pockets of trees between their subdivisions.

Where is this at? One thing we hear less about is homelessness outside of the open crisis on the west coast and places like NYC. I know from visiting family that there’s a pretty robust population of homeless in Atlanta area and in the city it’s pretty visible along the highway corridors but the suburbs are a lot less dense and more wooded so I think it stays more out of sight.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChicagoContrar1/status/1582033786295881728?s=20&t=E6ItShn8hRDsxcRPPKOGqw
https://twitter.com/CPD1617Scanner/status/1582924722412883968?s=20&t=E6ItShn8hRDsxcRPPKOGqw
https://twitter.com/CWBChicago/status/1571279035354828800?s=20&t=E6ItShn8hRDsxcRPPKOGqw

been getting really into Chicago cop twitter to drive myself crazy

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

been getting really into Chicago cop twitter to drive myself crazy

it's always la cops this and ny cops that but we here in chicago really do have some of the evilest pigs on the planet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao that’s awesome

Is there actually a single example of an “executive” being the victim of violent street crime, or is this just sympathy for the poor executives having to have their vibes ruined because others are suffering around them?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's always la cops this and ny cops that but we here in chicago really do have some of the evilest pigs on the planet

its really something to be considered with tons of evidence to back it to be the worst cops

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Where is this at? One thing we hear less about is homelessness outside of the open crisis on the west coast and places like NYC. I know from visiting family that there’s a pretty robust population of homeless in Atlanta area and in the city it’s pretty visible along the highway corridors but the suburbs are a lot less dense and more wooded so I think it stays more out of sight.

Chicagoland

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blockade posted:

Chicagoland

Last time I was that way was 2008 (Naperville for work) and I want to say I remember seeing plenty of homeless people but we went all over the area including all the way to Gary, IN so I could be misremembering

Unrelated let me introduce you to the man who is probably going to replace Portland’s only halfway decent city commissioner!

https://twitter.com/reneforportland/status/1582409651458801666

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WGNNews/status/1583264031057408000?s=20&t=xlDHt8ZswdgGVMvO9bcIyg

Didn't realize this was gonna be a big day for Chicago cop twitter. They got a child killer to defend.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The comments are worse than the vid. Mostly rightoids crying "Californian socialism at work".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here we go!

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1583535853078712320

Article is paywalled but the summary from their main pages says

quote:

Unhoused people could be arrested or cited during tent sweeps if they refuse to go to sanctioned camping sites.

Opb and willie week have free articles but neither mention that tidbit which I think is the money

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ive noticed that every so often someone who claims to have been advocates for homeless complaining about the "homeless industrial complex" and the cyclical nature of homelessness policies that just see people constantly sheltered then ending up back on the street. this critique seems fair enough but their conclusion seems to be Drug War+ or police smashing skulls and dismiss the fantasy of things like providing housing for everyone.

MLSM posted:

Barbarous cracker nation always astounds me with the cruelty

every aspect of american society seems designed to be cruel, almost without exception

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If they don't go to the tent city jail sanctioned camping ground they have to go to the normal jail?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

If they don't go to the tent city jail sanctioned camping ground they have to go to the normal jail?

Yes. Apparently with some sort of diversion or other program I guess? Not sure how that all works when we don’t have housing but I imagine it’s a second chance to agree to go to the internment camps

Open question if Multnomah County (I imagine they’ll want to put the sanctioned camps outside city proper) or DA and county court system will be on board. We already have a huge public defender crisis

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

the liberal response to homelessness and empire collapse is to punish anyone & everyone. not even an attempt to reorient society at all and adapt to changing situations

i live in tacoma and they passed a camping ban last week

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

something that annoys me about a lot of lib discourse around homelessness is that, to counter the absolutely bloodthirsty way people talk about the homeless, you hear stuff like "move out to the suburbs if you don't like it, don't be a pussy, just ignore it and about your day it's part of living in the city" and poo poo like that. as if this is not a result of deliberate choices. i suppose ignoring the homeless is better than actively campaigning to exterminate them like you get from so many people, but it's really distressing that, across the board, nobody wants to actually help.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
We're always hearing from Red America about the radical left in blue states. Seriously?

There are actual radicals and progressives, but corpo Dems who love real estate investment, the Chamber of Commerce and capitalist big dogs outnumber them significantly where it counts. And they have the equity and cash on hand to make sure nothing really gets solved. I've had Seattle liberals tell me with perfect smiles that the homeless should just be killed, only half-joking really. And the city really is divided between people who own homes and renters, and the homeowners are as reactionary as they come when it comes to housing people anywhere near them.

Republican-dominated states like to pretend there's some lockstep leftwing thing happening in places like Seattle, but rich people and people with means run these cities just like anywhere else, even if they talk big game about LGBTQ and minority rights, about inclusivity, etc. These are just platitudes. If you want to see hate in Seattle bring up any left-wing politician or activist or even pragmatic solution at North Seattle neighborhood meetings lol.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

err posted:

the liberal response to homelessness and empire collapse is to punish anyone & everyone. not even an attempt to reorient society at all and adapt to changing situations

i live in tacoma and they passed a camping ban last week

Just read up on it and my first question—the ten blocks from existing shelters thing seems pointless and just a way to gently caress with people. Does it make exceptions for whether or not the shelters are full or whether they would even take that particular homeless person (for example, a guy near a women’s shelter, or somebody with a dog)? The meat seems to be the 200 ft from waterways because that tends to be the green spaces where it’s easiest to camp out of sight

lobster shirt posted:

something that annoys me about a lot of lib discourse around homelessness is that, to counter the absolutely bloodthirsty way people talk about the homeless, you hear stuff like "move out to the suburbs if you don't like it, don't be a pussy, just ignore it and about your day it's part of living in the city" and poo poo like that. as if this is not a result of deliberate choices. i suppose ignoring the homeless is better than actively campaigning to exterminate them like you get from so many people, but it's really distressing that, across the board, nobody wants to actually help.

Honestly there are situations where your best option is to ignore it. Somebody in crisis standing in traffic or screaming at the sky or the like. Had a guy show me his junk a couple months ago. He just said “excuse me” and when I turned to acknowledge him he pulled down his shorts and cupped his balls and smiled.” Nothing to do but move on in those situations

But for the most part homeless people are pretty friendly if you greet them and acknowledge them and even make polite chit chat. There’s a guy in a van a couple blocks from me I walk passed a few times a week and he’s got a big friendly dog and I’m not sure what his situation is because it’s not my place to ask if he isnt offering, it we can always say a few casual things about the weather or traffic in the neighborhood or give the dog a stomach rub

Even people who are best avoided when in some sort of crisis are often perfectly fine to interact with on a good day. There really just people. One thing about housing first options is that if people are indoors they aren’t having crisises in public and that’s a good thing. But imagine if we spent our energy on providing people with the means and the motivation to seek help when necessary instead of just using the most brutal law and order authoritarian crackdown methods and wondering why people don’t buy into the systems that ostensibly are there to help