Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

030524_3
Mar 5, 2024
somethingawful, militantly anti-homeless in the year 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Oldest Man posted:

True right now, but once you've got realtime facial recognition running on every cop's body cam, which is coming, it'll be open season

Not quite the same thing, but it reminded me that someone just shared this in the [canada] thread:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

One step closer to the evoker guns from psycho-pass that scan your likehood to commit a crime and then blow you up.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Not quite the same thing, but it reminded me that someone just shared this in the [canada] thread:

rebranding a children's "alien scanner" app as a threat assessment tool for dumb cops

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

beep boop risk of failure to care for self detected, lethal force is now authorized

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

beep boop risk of failure to care for self detected, lethal force is now authorized

In a first of its kind pilot program, Better Help and IBM have partnered with San Francisco police to utilize facial recognition software and real time AI analysis of legal and financial records to identify those in need of help and automatically enroll them in Better Help services and highlight those delinquent on their subscription appointments and fees for corrective action. Gov Newsome is hopeful the $5.7 billion, 10 year exclusive public private partnership will pay big dividends on the property crime and homelessness crises that have plagued his state and derailed his Presidential ambitions.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh great betterhelp lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sponsored non therapist approved homelessness arrest justification device. wildly unconstitutional but whos going to care theyre the lumpen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

given how unaffordable it is to live there and how fast the market for full stack fart app developers is collapsing, i bet someone who worked on that app is going to have it turned on them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it appears CA Prop 1 is passing. this gives me pause, since it was amended to include involuntary commitment(?)

i think this may be the beginning of earnest "forced removal" of "visible poverty" in urban centers. the endpoint of course being huge labor camps in the desert filled with an increasing number of economically abandoned, destitute americans, citizens and all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

it appears CA Prop 1 is passing. this gives me pause, since it was amended to include involuntary commitment(?)

i think this may be the beginning of earnest "forced removal" of "visible poverty" in urban centers. the endpoint of course being huge labor camps in the desert filled with an increasing number of economically abandoned, destitute americans, citizens and all.

yep, oregon just repealed its drug decriminalization law too. i imagine the LASD is just going to use the homeless for target practice rather than book them

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Yea prop 1 is all about taking money away from local sources, tying the money to care courts, which can force people into involuntary treatment for those deemed mentally ill. I wouldn't call it the first step in the cities effort to reduce visible poverty that grew during Covid. I would say Care+ sweeps, 41.18 zones, and Inside Safe are all part of the effort to reduce visible poverty. It certainly is a step in that direction, very concerned what we will see if Martin v Boise gets overturned.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Al! posted:

checked my local flyover municipal budget and cops were <1% of the budget

how much of the cities budget is generated by fake traffic stops?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DC crime bill looking lit

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ok how about section 8. Would more of that help?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Section 8 isn't amazing in my opinion. It depends on landlords, who are trash and often discriminate against the poor. I have known several unhoused people who have had section 8 vouchers for over a year. They often can't pass the credit test that landlords require. Even if they are fortunate enough to get in to section 8 there are no wrap around services. So if you do have a disability, mental illness, addiction, or just unresolved trauma you don't have any help addressing them and that can often result in people landing back on the streets.

Section 8 is better than nothing, but your not going to market your way out of a problem created by the market. Thats why i am such a strong believer in public housing, its the only way i see to make housing a right.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Section 8 isn't amazing in my opinion. It depends on landlords, who are trash and often discriminate against the poor. I have known several unhoused people who have had section 8 vouchers for over a year. They often can't pass the credit test that landlords require. Even if they are fortunate enough to get in to section 8 there are no wrap around services. So if you do have a disability, mental illness, addiction, or just unresolved trauma you don't have any help addressing them and that can often result in people landing back on the streets.

Section 8 is better than nothing, but your not going to market your way out of a problem created by the market. Thats why i am such a strong believer in public housing, its the only way i see to make housing a right.

Don’t forget that section 8 uses the mechanism that is the only way it’s possible to give services to people and there’s no other way to distribute services it takes public money and gives it to private entities (landlords) and assumes the problem is solved

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

people say that the right wing can't create but can only appropriate the culture and ideas of others. nonsense. all of the right's creative enegergies are just tied up in the important business of stealing from the commons and making life miserable for the poor and minorities

https://www.ijpr.org/poverty-and-ho...public-property

the "evil libs" of portland will take 5 years to catch up on this innovation in cruelty

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

people say that the right wing can't create but can only appropriate the culture and ideas of others. nonsense. all of the right's creative enegergies are just tied up in the important business of stealing from the commons and making life miserable for the poor and minorities

https://www.ijpr.org/poverty-and-ho...public-property

the "evil libs" of portland will take 5 years to catch up on this innovation in cruelty

Lmao they want them to reapply for permits every four months

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Cripes. Seems the reactionaries are on the March, retaking territory. Is there anything to do right now besides hold on to what you can? Wait for momentum to shift again? Or are there counterinnovations. Fairbanks has laws preventing government telling people they can't burn trash. Maybe there could be laws against restricting freaking helping people

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the best non violent thing to do would be to appropriate air b'n'bs and empty commercial real estate and house everyone

031124_2
Mar 12, 2024
2024 budget update: the bourgeoisie still refuse to turn Social Security into Universal Basic Income

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026915&pagenumber=2349#post538300674

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/us/politics/biden-budget-republicans-trump.html

the Administration's Solvency is its most important Issue

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

the mayor vetoed the measure. not because it's, you know, blatant evil, but because it would require work to administer and because she knew it would get the city sued.

maybe, just maybe libs' laziness and love of rule mongering can be leveraged against them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

e: nm

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cool news story i just saw on tv. the sewer urchins of van nuys lust for blood

was fun to see casa vega (world historical dark rear end mexican food dump in the valley) on tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gK-JKvXMc

story after that was about how the city councils request for more "inside safe" funding would cause a deficit. :discourse:

CLAW AND ORDER

032024_2
Mar 20, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

032024_2
Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ny media is doing a big push against squatters now with a bunch of scare stories as some new law is on the table to make squatters rights only applicable to lapsed tenants and not just anybody in a house for 30 days with/without permission