Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Dollar store Ramen and a bag of frozen veggies work surprisingly well if you simmer it long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

rndmnmbr posted:

Chicken leg quarters are always cheap. Mix a can or two of cream of mushroom with rice and a little water, put the leg quarters on top, bake until done. For some reason, no matter how much salt you add before it cooks, it will always need more when done.
That's why you sprinkle a packet of dry lipton onion soup mix, along with some hot sauce, over the whole thing before you bake it. I refuse to believe there's such a thing as too much sodium.

I lived on eggs and just enough butter to fry them for something like 6 months when I was younger, both might be too expensive for that to pay off now. I was on a DNR trail building crew at the time, I was ripped as gently caress for the only time in my life.

Now to save money I make homemade bread and lots of mujadara, along with cheap sardines and tuna. Lao Gan Ma and a cold baked potato is a great dinner too.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 9, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

When I was at my poorest it'd be homemade bread. Flour, water, salt, yeast. A whole loaf for basically pennies. When times were good, a slice of bread and maybe mayo on it. When times were bad, some ranch or ketchup from the work fridge.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

No-knead focaccia isn't that too much more than plain bread, if you don't mind using cheap oil! I prefer it, anyway

And man, I think I grew up on Nalley chili for lunch, loved the stuff. Put it on a baked potato and you're all set for most the day. It's been a while in general since I bought canned chili though, I remember it being $.89-.99 a can just a few years ago and it's over twice that now. I don't think I could justify the price vs. making a huge pot and freezing it. Assuming you need the spices purchased new, it still has to be around 50-60% the cost, using dried beans anyway.

$2.12-$2.55 for a can of Hormel is a joke even considering convenience.

edit: I also realize that my conception of chili is anathema for Texans or whatever. I don't care, bean me baby. Bean me hard.

----------------
ok

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

a sexual elk posted:

Wish Weinersnitzel sold their chili in cans

Depends on the franchisee if they participate but they do now.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I got lazy by last week and ate canner grade ground beef chili. Never again

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Those frozen premade pbjs on the toilet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

edit: I also realize that my conception of chili is anathema for Texans or whatever. I don't care, bean me baby. Bean me hard.

as a texan chili purist, I saved a few cents recently by buying the wolf brand with beans and frankly it was still pretty great

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

no beans means more meat

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Whichever fellow Texan said chili doesn't get beans is full of poo poo. You make a huge pot of Texas red, and eat it until it's about 2/3 gone. Then you cook up a batch of beans, add it to the chili, and finish the pot of chili with beans. Best of both worlds.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Beans are cheap as hell and extremely nutritious and healthy to eat, no-beans chili is a luxury and doesn't really fit ITT

----------------

TriggerHappyMarie
Sep 15, 2011

Idk if this is poverty food or fast after work throw it together food for 6 people.
Mom used to make a box of Mac n cheese, can of tuna, and can of peas - no bake tuna casserole.
Also remember canned salmon patties; fried spam on toast; Hormel tamales; corned beef hash, beanie-weenies.
Dad’s special was pizza burgers, which is Manwich on bread baked with mozzarella on top.
Summer time we got steamed squash/zucchini/onions and farm fresh corn.
Grandma always made white beans with the ham bone after Easter; I still love them, with a piece of cornbread on top.
I did vegetarian for lent once, made sautéed onions in bbq sauce on a piece of toast often. Nowadays I will take a can of collard greens, a can of kidney beans, mix together and microwave. Will also just have Brussel sprouts halves and microwaved. I have plain oatmeal for breakfast.

Y’all ever had a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch with ready whip on top? High recommend.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
beans and potatoes contend for the prize of the Ultimate Food.

----------------

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Beans are cheap as hell and extremely nutritious and healthy to eat, no-beans chili is a luxury and doesn't really fit ITT

The trick is to find a store that regularly discounts about to expire meat, and hit them up right as they open. The rest of the ingredients are cheap.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

when I was very poor and very depressed I'd eat what amounted to open-faced giardiniera sandwiches. a thin scrape of mayo piled with the cheapest hot giardiniera I could find (usually a huge jar of alpino brand for <$10). it's still pretty good every once in a while. I really like giardiniera is what I'm saying and you should try it too if you've never had it. use a slotted spoon to get rid of most of the oil.

canned tuna, relish, and yellow mustard eaten over the sink after the gym (somewhat depressed) or at 3am (very depressed)

red beans, white rice, crystal hot sauce, and shredded grocery store mozzarella cheese for an even poorer man's red beans and rice

thankfully I'm doing much better now both income and mental health wise but man my 20s were probably the only time where I could scrape along like that. I think if I have to do that again in my 50s or 60s or something my organs will just shut off

TriggerHappyMarie posted:

made sautéed onions in bbq sauce on a piece of toast often.

a classic

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

when I was very poor and very depressed I'd eat what amounted to open-faced giardiniera sandwiches. a thin scrape of mayo piled with the cheapest hot giardiniera I could find (usually a huge jar of alpino brand for <$10). it's still pretty good every once in a while. I really like giardiniera is what I'm saying and you should try it too if you've never had it. use a slotted spoon to get rid of most of the oil.

This sounds legit. I'd eat that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Treecko posted:

I spend so much of my time cooking for my family, it really sucks when they just 'want' something else and don't eat any of it.

I had to read this three times to understand it. You cook food for your family and they don’t eat it? What the gently caress? Get a new family.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Right? What the gently caress is that? If someone cooks for me I'm thrilled even if it sucks. I didn't have to cook! They like me enough to cook for me!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Ya I have friends that work on the road or they’re just single and kinda helpless in that area, and they’re always super happy to have a home cooked meal even if I gently caress it up by my standards.

I remember when I was living together with some friends who also did not have money, we’d eat margarine and noodles pretty regularly. One day I made a pot and put one of the aforementioned lemon packets in, and I’ll never forget how much one of my friends praised me for how good it was. It’s funny how that little difference cheered them up so much.

My mom also used to make that Mac and cheese tuna peas thing. I still make it for myself once in awhile.

:sax: :drum: :guitar:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
To be fair, I mean my children. Now that I know better from experience, I try to make them healthy meals. It takes time and effort. Can't just make them eat it.

Still wish they would at least try it!

Tuna noodle is good as hell though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
bread and worcestershire sauce is my poverty food

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Reading this thread really brought me back to the incredibly lean years of 2012-2013. I’m not sure if what I felt was nostalgia or sadness or relief or something else. The Mama Celeste pizzas hit really hard.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dinner tonight was a big piece of sourdough with a knife of Mayo on half and a squirt of mustard on the other half folded over, kids had Mac with cheddar mixed in, talk about poverty food haha

----------------

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Wendigee posted:

When I was growing up we had canned peas, potato patties and canned salmon patties on the reg. I'll never forget the salmon bones.

In between government cheese grilled cheese sandwiches.

*Barf*

The bones are the best part of canned salmon. MMM, vertebra.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Knorr sides Spainish rice with a bag of frozen veggies and some pouch chicken tonight

We're not that poor anymore but my husband gets free nearly expired poo poo from work and goddammit I'm going to use it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

made stock from a leftover pollo al carbon and will use most of it for spanish rice this weekend

but tonight i made fondant potatoes with it and some butter and that is an insanely cheap gourmet meal

----------------

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
When I was little we were pretty bad off after my dad died, one of my staples was miracle whip on the whitest white bread available. I hadn't touched the 'whip in decades until a few months ago; I bought a small jar (store brand, Kraft is fuckin expensive as hell) and some Kwik Trip white bread ($.79 a loaf) and made a sandwich. Goddamn it was still good. I ended up tossing the jar so I wouldn't eat the whole thing in a few days.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The mayonnaise sandwich is a shame before the eyes of God, but goddamn if it doesn't hit the spot sometimes.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
The key to a good mayo sammy is to add a lovely tomato, or those $0.49 tomato paste cans.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

rndmnmbr posted:

The mayonnaise sandwich is a shame before the eyes of God, but goddamn if it doesn't hit the spot sometimes.

I've started doing this with tortillas to make mayonnaise wraps sometimes.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

rndmnmbr posted:

[img]
warmed[/img] mayo sandwich
put on the pan for a little while on each side to maybe give it a superlight toast

also just put the completed thing on top of the toaster

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's just a cheeseless grilled cheese. Which still sounds kinda good, to be fair. I dunno if it counts as poverty because it feels fancy but I grow a little basil every summer and if you toast bread with oil and put in some basil you're basically making pesto bread and it's cheap and good.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Treecko posted:

Knorr sides Spainish rice with a bag of frozen veggies and some pouch chicken tonight

We're not that poor anymore but my husband gets free nearly expired poo poo from work and goddammit I'm going to use it

Frozen veggies are always better then canned, so Chicken, Rice, and Veggies doesn't sound like poverty food at all to me, that's a filling, healthy, basic food groups covered good dinner!

I mean I don't know what you actually got specifically, and yeah you said it's free stuff so sure it counts, but I'd be all about that on a budget or not!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Treecko posted:

Knorr sides Spainish rice

I am reminded of this which I consumed in massive amounts as a child but have not had in years. Gonna have to get some and see if it awakens something in me.

----------------

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh it was definitely a complete meal. Bellies were full. It's just not the most extravagant looking.

Nobody who was truly hungry would turn it down, but it's so close to the exp date I'm not sure if a food pantry would take it and I know enough 'real' cooking from being in food service industry I can jazz it up.

Lots of pasta roni and instant mash in our future.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Cheap peanut butter slathered on a kraft single, call that dinner

anyone eaten anything like this

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Treecko posted:

Oh it was definitely a complete meal. Bellies were full. It's just not the most extravagant looking.

Nobody who was truly hungry would turn it down, but it's so close to the exp date I'm not sure if a food pantry would take it and I know enough 'real' cooking from being in food service industry I can jazz it up.

Lots of pasta roni and instant mash in our future.

To be fair, those instant mash things are awesome.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i fuckin' love them. just boil water and dump it in, don't even have to put milk or butter or salt in like with the boxed instant mashed.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Vienna sausage with the slime wiped off, cut into 2 pieces length wise on white bread with miracle whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Barf, Miracle Whip

----------------