Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

The previous Cormac thread has long been gone, but we are only a week away now from our 2022 gift of 400 + 200 pages of new McCarthy material.

The Passenger, coming October 26:

quote:

The best-selling, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Road returns with the first of a two-volume masterpiece: The Passenger is the story of a salvage diver, haunted by loss, afraid of the watery deep, pursued for a conspiracy beyond his understanding, and longing for a death he cannot reconcile with God.

Look for Stella Maris, the second volume in The Passenger series, on sale December 6th, 2022

1980, PASS CHRISTIAN, MISSISSIPPI: It is three in the morning when Bobby Western zips the jacket of his wet suit and plunges from the Coast Guard tender into darkness. His dive light illuminates the sunken jet, nine bodies still buckled in their seats, hair floating, eyes devoid of speculation. Missing from the crash site are the pilot’s flight bag, the plane’s black box, and the tenth passenger. But how? A collateral witness to machinations that can only bring him harm, Western is shadowed in body and spirit—by men with badges; by the ghost of his father, inventor of the bomb that melted glass and flesh in Hiroshima; and by his sister, the love and ruin of his soul.

Traversing the American South, from the garrulous barrooms of New Orleans to an abandoned oil rig off the Florida coast, The Passenger is a breathtaking novel of morality and science, the legacy of sin, and the madness that is human consciousness.
Stella Maris, coming December 6:

quote:

The best-selling, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Road returns with the second volume of The Passenger series: Stella Maris is an intimate portrait of grief and longing, as a young woman in a psychiatric facility seeks to understand her own existence.

1972, BLACK RIVER FALLS, WISCONSIN: Alicia Western, twenty years old, with forty thousand dollars in a plastic bag, admits herself to the hospital. A doctoral candidate in mathematics at the University of Chicago, Alicia has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and she does not want to talk about her brother, Bobby. Instead, she contemplates the nature of madness, the human insistence on one common experience of the world; she recalls a childhood where, by the age of seven, her own grandmother feared for her; she surveys the intersection of physics and philosophy; and she introduces her cohorts, her chimeras, the hallucinations that only she can see. All the while, she grieves for Bobby, not quite dead, not quite hers. Told entirely through the transcripts of Alicia’s psychiatric sessions, Stella Maris is a searching, rigorous, intellectually challenging coda to The Passenger, a philosophical inquiry that questions our notions of God, truth, and existence.
New York Times review, which indicates these novels are stylistic and thematic departures.

Here's some more Cormac stuff you might find interesting:
A bunch of newspaper articles featuring quotes from McCarthy early in his career, that he gave to his friends before he stopped giving interviews.

The Kekulé Problem, where McCarthy ruminates on the origin of language.
Cormac McCarthy Returns to the Kekulé Problem, a follow-up from seven months later where McCarthy comments on reader feedback from the original article.

Three early short stories:
Wake for Susan (1959)
A Drowning Incident (1960)
The Dark Waters (1965)

If you have a chance, go buy The Passenger and Stella Maris at your local independent bookstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Been a long wait since The Road, looking forward to these.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

The NYT also posted an excerpt of The Passenger the other day.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Holy cow I gave up googling the release date a couple years ago, convinced he was going to croak before this ever saw the light of day.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

The NYT also posted an excerpt of The Passenger the other day.
God I can't wait.

Cormac McCarthy posted:

Various of them looking for work. John gestured with his glass. Brat very nearly secured a position, he said. But of course at the last moment it all came uncottered.

I just blew it, said Brat. Something came over me. This breather kept going on about this policy and that policy. Finally he said: And another thing. Around here we dont watch the clock. And I said well I just cant tell you how happy I am to hear you say those words. I’ve had a lifelong habit of being up to an hour late for just about everything.

What did he say?

He got sort of quiet. He sat there for a minute and then he got up and left. And it was his office. After a while the secretary came in and she said that the interview was over. I asked her if I’d gotten the job but she said she didnt think so. She looked kind of nervous.

Cormac McCarthy posted:

It was pretty much fun, said Brat. When the bailiff raised his hand to swear her in she reached up and slapped him a big high-five. I dont think they’d seen that before.

Cormac McCarthy posted:

I had a dream about you, Squire.

A dream you say.

Yes. I dreamt you were wandering in your weighted shoes over the ocean floor. Seeking God knows what in the darkness of those bathypelagic deeps. When you reached the edge of the Nazca Plate there were flames licking up from the abyss. The sea boiling. In my dream it seemed to me you’d stumbled upon the mouth of hell and I thought that you would lower a rope to those of your friends who’d gone before. You didnt.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I had the good fortune to have early access to review galleys of each of the two new novels. I've already read The Passenger, although I'm saving Stella Maris, as I've spent the past couple months-ish since first finishing The Passenger revisiting all of McCarthy's other work, to better appreciate and contextualize the new ones. I will say that my gut instinct on first finishing The Passenger was that fans of Suttree (my favorite, and possibly my favorite novel period) will be especially fond of it. There are many similarities, both superficial and more significant/thematically resonant, that lead me to say so, but I'll spare further thoughts for when I've had more opportunity to go back through and take proper notes on all the stuff now that it's fresh in my mind. I would highly recommend taking this chance to tackle McCarthy's body of work if you can find the time and energy, it's not often one of the great artists comes back with a rich new work.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Passenger, although I'm saving Stella Maris, as I've spent the past couple months-ish since first finishing The Passenger revisiting all of McCarthy's other work, to better appreciate and contextualize the new ones.

I tried to do this over the last couple months but I honestly couldn’t hang. I couldn’t handle another knife fight description and I think I’m one and done with the road. A friend told me that if I thought the border trilogy was intense then I’d really like outer dark. I had to tap out.

I’ve since cleansed my palette and im fired up for the passenger.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I made the mistake of preordering the boxed set, so I have to wait until December for both.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I forsook the box so that I wouldn't have to wait the six weeks. Drove down to the local indie bookstore during my lunch break to pick up my pre-order:

Now to try and figure out if I'm going to ration the pages or just go hog wild, knowing that we might be waiting another 16 years for the next one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Not sure if I can’t wait sixteen years to hear an old man tell me a joke I read on fwd:fwd:fwd: guess I’m loving nuts

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
kind of feel like i;ve come full circle with McCarthy.

My first encounter with him was The Road back in 2011; i had seen the ad for the movie and then picked up the book on a whim in the student bookstore at my university. the next day was halloween and i was sick as hell. ended up staying up all night reading it while i sweated out a fever.
spent the next few years devouring everything he had written.
Now with this book around halloween time again, it feels poignant.
Can't wait

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cormac posted:

I'll tell you what else. I think that my desire to remain totally loving ignorant about poo poo that will only get me in trouble is both deep and abiding. I'm going to say that it is just drat near a religion.

:five:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I will say that my gut instinct on first finishing The Passenger was that fans of Suttree (my favorite, and possibly my favorite novel period) will be especially fond of it.

Love Suttree so this is promising news. My copy was delivered yesterday, so just waiting for the right time to dive in.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How do you feel about the world being almost 90 Mr McCarthy?

quote:

what really threatens the scofflaw is not the just society but the decaying one. It is here that he finds himself becoming slowly indistinguishable from the citizenry. As for myself again if I cant be decorum’s sworn enemy while savoring its fruits I simply see no place for me at all.

And how do you feel about the post Trump America?

quote:

Without malefactors the world of the righteous is robbed of all meaning.

there are mornings when I wake and see a grayness to the world I think was not in evidence before. A conversation we’ve had. I know. The horrors of the past lose their edge, and in the doing they blind us to a world careening toward a darkness beyond the bitterest speculation.

Mr McCarthy, do you think the two parties can compromise in order to avoid catastrophe or are we headed to a second civil war?

quote:

It’s sure to be interesting. When the onset of universal night is finally acknowledged as irreversible even the coldest cynic will be astonished at the celerity with which every rule and stricture shoring up this creaking edifice is abandoned and every aberrancy embraced.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Goddamn this book is good so far.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
New 75 minute interview with Cormac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrUy1Vn2KdI

Novels are barely discussed. It's mostly math, metaphysics, physics, consciousness, science, philosophy and the many famous students of them. Fascinating.

He is pretty drat sharp for someone pushing 90. He could definitely publish more books.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I have that interview bookmarked to watch soon, still working on The Passenger.

I did realize that I never remembered to look for The Gardener's Son but it is available on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/the-gardeners-son_202202

Screenplay by Cormac McCarthy, starring Ned Beatty, Kevin Conroy, Brad Dourif, Penelope Allen, and Jerry Hardin, from the PBS anthology series Visions in 1977.

One thing I wanted to note mid-Passenger is last night I read a scene where Bobby Western is talking to a PI and McCarthy included the line "Like most people he liked being consulted." It stuck out to me as being unusually descriptive for Cormac, especially about the personality of a character. Does anyone else feel this way?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I get the feeling the author is looking deeply at his own mortality surrounded by physicists on a land haunted by the atom bomb.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm a bit over halfway through, and while I enjoy following Western along and these random conversations he has with people, the chapters with his sister and her hallucination crew I find really tedious.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Agreed.

Having only read Blood Meridian and The Road and seen No Country For Old Men I'm amazed McCarthy writes in forms other than Southern doom poetry and drawl. This brings Pynchon to mind with the flashy names and character vignettes.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Finished it up. Loved that opening part that they excerpted in the NYT, and the last chapter was great. But so much of the middle didn't grab me, and I also did not like any of the parts with The Kid. To the point that I'm worried there's a chance I won't like Stella Maris at all. Though I think in the description it was said that SM is, like, transcriptions of her talking to the doctors, so maybe we won't have to put up with the speaking voice of The Kid? I don't know, my opinion is that The Passenger is pretty medium and at best I can say that it leaves a lot of room for it to grow on me.

For all the hype about how scientific it was going to be, it really felt like that was a non-essential 10 pages or so out of 383.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

There are moments of brilliance in The Passenger but anything containing the Kid does not number among them

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
After what the Judge did to him that only makes sense

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

We’re going to find out that Cormac has been holed up at the sante fe institute because he can’t afford rent after all his assets were seized for back child support.

Also his irl sister was a dime.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm a little over halfway through. A bit disappointed so far, partly because the prose is so stripped down. Also, Western is probably the weirdest protagonist in a McCarthy book so far, and I find it really hard to get a grip on who this guy is. Every other character of his paints a fairly clear portrait in my mind, but Western sort of eludes my imagination. I am glad I finally got around to reading Suttree this year so that I can see some of the parallels though. I mean, that's not the only reason I'm glad I read Suttree.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I finally decided to read Blood Meridian. Is it okay to discuss in this thread or should I go elsewhere? I'm baffled by his decision to put spoilers at the beginning of every chapter.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

escape artist posted:

I finally decided to read Blood Meridian. Is it okay to discuss in this thread or should I go elsewhere? I'm baffled by his decision to put spoilers at the beginning of every chapter.
Absolutely, this thread is for all Cormac McCarthy, and Blood Meridian gets the most discussion out of all of them a lot of the time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

escape artist posted:

It was a standard trope of novels in the era he's depicting. He's not really a "spoiler" kinda author, too. I mean there's a couple shocking moments in a few of his books but for the most part eh.

edit: Finished the book last night. I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't a disappointment after all those years of waiting. It doesn't sound like Stella Maris is going to "unlock" The Passenger either. Oh well, it wasn't a total failure. And I'm glad the announcement of the The Passenger's release prompted me to finally go back and read the rest of McCarthy's work- that was well worth it. You can definitely see little bits and pieces of his prior works (Suttree, as had been pointed out, but also Outer Dark, NCFOM, The Road, even naming one of the characters The Kid...). There's definitely some interesting parallels between McCartht's father, who was an attorney for the Tennesee Valley Authority, and Suttree, and Western and Alicia's father in this book.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 8, 2022

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well after finishing I'm disappointed to say that this was my least favorite of his novels that I've read - still haven't got around to his first three. I doubt I'll even bother with Stella Maris unless I find it at the library at some point.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
People will disagree on whether Outer Dark or Child of God is better (it’s the former) but both would be worth your while imo. The Orchard Keeper was a little difficult to parse for me, but it was a short enough book that I read it to be completionist. Feels crass to rank his books but:

Suttree
Blood Meridien
All The Pretty Horses
The Crossing
The Road
Cities of the Plain
Outer Dark
Child of God
No Country for Old Men
The Passenger
The Orchard Keeper

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 9, 2022

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The book’s great. What were people disappointed about? Yeah. The chapters with the kid were tedious, but tedious in an intentional dream logic sort of way. Plus I’m a sucker for crude puns and malapropisms. And am I crazy, or is it pretty much explicitly the case that The Kid is Bobby and Alicia’s child?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are you basing that on the fact that they both have visions of The Kid? It’s an interesting thought but I don’t know if that fact alone is very persuasive.

For me, the main failing was that Bobby just didn’t feel like a fully coherent character to me. The disparate parts of his history didn’t gel in my mind. Math whiz? Son of a major inventor? Incestuous? Race car driver? Deep sea diver? It was all just a bit much for me, even if you posit that the book isn’t strictly literal.

Also, I think for all of the rumors of Cormac’s interest in math and science, I was surprised at how tacked on that aspect seemed at times. That highly technical discussion near the middle is the most obvious example, but the fact that Bobby didn’t practice physics himself during the events of the book made that whole aspect feel somewhat remote. And his reaction to his dad’s legacy was kinda undercooked. It reminds me of Suttree’s rejection of his birthright, but in that case feels much more believable than finding a fortune and spending it on race cars

I would like to hear more about why you liked it though, it’s a fun book to think about, plenty to chew on (and for the record I liked all of the Alicia bits). Also it’s gonna drive me crazy how everyone irl will pronounce it “Ah-lee-sha” when the book makes clear it’s pronounced “ah-lish-uh”

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2022

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jewmanji posted:

Are you basing that on the fact that they both have visions of The Kid? It’s an interesting thought but I don’t know if that fact alone is very persuasive.

That scene is when everything fell into place but it's there throughout. He's a manifestation of what kept the two from consummating their love: that innate fear/revulsion towards physical deformity, which founds the taboo around incest. So basically he's the product of their love. He literally exists because of it. And in that sense the Kid is their kid. Reread his scenes as an abandoned son traveling across dimensions to torment/connect with his parents.

Still puzzled over the scene with the little wooden man. Who is Crandall?

quote:

For me, the main failing was that Bobby just didn’t feel like a fully coherent character to me. The disparate parts of his history didn’t gel in my mind. Math whiz? Son of a major inventor? Incestuous? Race car driver? Deep sea diver? It was all just a bit much for me, even if you posit that the book isn’t strictly literal.

Also, I think for all of the rumors of Cormac’s interest in math and science, I was surprised at how tacked on that aspect seemed at times. That highly technical discussion near the middle is the most obvious example, but the fact that Bobby didn’t practice physics himself during the events of the book made that whole aspect feel somewhat remote. And his reaction to his dad’s legacy was kinda undercooked. It reminds me of Suttree’s rejection of his birthright, but in that case feels much more believable than finding a fortune and spending it on race cars

I would like to hear more about why you liked it though, it’s a fun book to think about, plenty to chew on (and for the record I liked all of the Alicia bits). Also it’s gonna drive me crazy how everyone irl will pronounce it “Ah-lee-sha” when the book makes clear it’s pronounced “ah-lish-uh”

I don't know, I just enjoyed reading it. Western's incoherence felt relatable to me. The whole thing was incoherent in a "lots of ideas McCarthy had over the decades knit together as a sort of farewell to the world" and I'm just grateful it exists.

I did know an Alicia who pronounced her name that way. Don't know what's up with that.

I haven't read Suttree yet. I tried years ago and bounced off for whatever reason. That, Outer Dark, and No Country are the only McCarthy novels I have yet to read.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s an interesting take on it, thanks. I think I was investing too much in the thalidomide reference and thought maybe he was a manifestation of children born with deformities because of parental exposure to radiation. Though I guess that’s not incompatible with your take.

I highly recommend you read Outer Dark which is sort of a template for Bobby and Alicia’s relationship, and the itinerant nature of Bobby and his fellowship with all of these characters in the bars and restaurants of NOLA is a explicit reference to Suttree. I bounced off Suttree 2 times over the last ten years and then made it through this year and found it to be astonishing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

The book’s great. What were people disappointed about? Yeah. The chapters with the kid were tedious, but tedious in an intentional dream logic sort of way. Plus I’m a sucker for crude puns and malapropisms. And am I crazy, or is it pretty much explicitly the case that The Kid is Bobby and Alicia’s child?

That was my first guess too. I’m holding out judgement until I finish Stella Maris.

My least favorite thing is I don’t really understand the purpose of each of the supporting characters in New Orleans with whom much of the dialog occurs. They don’t seem distinct enough to make sense. Ill wait though

Also, I know the kid is supposed to be a thalidomide baby but I kept picturing him as:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I don't know, I just enjoyed reading it. Western's incoherence felt relatable to me. The whole thing was incoherent in a "lots of ideas McCarthy had over the decades knit together as a sort of farewell to the world" and I'm just grateful it exists.
I really loved Cormac spends 5 pages letting you know how convinced he is about a JFK assassination conspiracy.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Boco_T posted:

I really loved Cormac spends 5 pages letting you know how convinced he is about a JFK assassination conspiracy.

Haha! Yes! The whole time I was just like what the hell Cormac. Then again it's 100% something a psychic PI would spend 5 pages talking about.

I don't think enough people are pointing out just how wacky this book is. It felt like I was reading Pynchon at times.

Anyone catch the part where Long John plays poker with William Burroughs?

Jewmanji posted:

That’s an interesting take on it, thanks. I think I was investing too much in the thalidomide reference and thought maybe he was a manifestation of children born with deformities because of parental exposure to radiation. Though I guess that’s not incompatible with your take.

That too, absolutely.

I also think it's worth pondering, is Alicia some kind of mutant?

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Boco_T posted:

Absolutely, this thread is for all Cormac McCarthy, and Blood Meridian gets the most discussion out of all of them a lot of the time.

As it should. It is the best western ever written and easily one of the best books in English of the 20th century, up there with Salman Rushdie and DFW.

It is a sophisticated and nuanced exploration of the dark side of human nature set within the extremes of liminality, in time and geography and space, and in that sense is shoulder to shoulder with Moby Dick, another American fiction colossus. As historical fiction it is dense and realistic and deeply accurate. I gush, but I love this book to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Finished this last night and I stumbled in here to see if maybe there was a discussion because it’s still sitting with me. Was wondering if anyone else had the same kind of general knee jerk take away and yep…

Proust Malone posted:

I get the feeling the author is looking deeply at his own mortality surrounded by physicists on a land haunted by the atom bomb.

I enjoyed it well enough, and was initially put off by the Alicia chapters but appreciated them by the end. I thought Bobby’s background of math whiz/race car driver/diver contrasted in an interesting way with his general personality through the narrative, which was primarily to meander through the narrative and react when outside forces pushed him, in contrast to the kind of proactive nature you usually expect from a protagonist with those backgrounds

The oil platform really seemed to highlight this, alone on an empty platform in a storm suspecting you’re not actually alone and your close friend recently died under unusual circumstances during a similar job but what does he do beyond just wander the halls and pick up a knife

All in all he just seemed to me like somebody adrift with no sense of purpose trying to create an identity as a man of action but not really taking action.

There’s also a lot about carrying so much guilt over his sister and father but I haven’t really fully digested that stuff so I’ll stop before I say something dumb

Anyway it’s still sitting with me and I’m neither a great mind in literary criticism nor a particularly insightful poster so interesting to see what others think and hopefully there will be more to come