Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

hobbez posted:

In chapter one, someone staying at the seven seas dies, presumably of suicide? Anyone able to parse what the method was? They say he “took the pipe”, and someone references they could smell the gasoline and that his doors were all taped up. Almost sounds like carbon monoxide, but not sure how that could be done in an apartment.

He killed the pilot light opened up the burners on the stove and ate the gas. As you said, it mentions him sealing beneath the door. The death isn’t made out to be big deal because what’s another wino suicide in New Orleans?

I liked the book a lot, but it’s far from his best and I say that as Cormac-head who’s read almost the entire catalog up to this point, save The Stone Mason. Greatest living American author for sure, IMO. I do agree with you about the hallucinations half of the book being a slog. It’s a pretty common refrain ITT from what I’ve seen. I don’t know if I’m going to read Stella Maris, it sounds like it’s going to be a whole book of that.

I don’t think The Passenger is the best place to start. Any from the following: Blood Meridian, NCFOM, The Road and the Borders Trilogy, would be my pick. If I had to pick one, it’d be The Road. I’ve read it about a dozen times. For me it’s one of those books I can pick up anytime read it all the way through and then go right back and start in on page one again. If I were to pick one based upon which is the greatest literary achievement, it’d be Blood Meridian.

I would say definitely give him another chance, even if you weren’t crazy about The Passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
The obsession with physics and mathematics is a departure from his usual form as well, at least in his books. I can’t think of any other book of his that’s as mathematical. Normally that obsession is reserved for the natural world and the darkness in men’s hearts.

It kind of felt to me like he “got into” quantum physics and math and wanted to incorporate the fundamental languages of the universe into a book. I think there might be parallels between Bobby admiring physics and math but feeling he’s not good enough to “do” them and the author himself.

The only other similar thing I’ve read from him is a semi-scholarly essay called The Kekulé Problem for the Santa Fe institute, published in 2017, where he writes about the intersection of science, language and the unconscious. The anecdotes in this article also suggests to me that he prefers the company and conversation of scientists rather than other creatives.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Borders is very different from his other stuff. Not really all that dark. Almost a Cormac take on youth fiction. Different but I loved the trilogy.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
It’s not infants getting their skulls dashed on rocks and gore streaming out of the fontanel bleak.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Blood Meridian in the right hands (Coen Bros.) would be the ultimate movie. They could just pack Hollywood in after that, it's what every movie that has ever been made has been building towards. They could write it like they wrote NCFOM, with one holding the book open for reference while the other types out the script. It's an extremely cinematic book as it is.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
hes really good hth

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Gotta be Glanton, no?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

some guy with a deleted profile on reddit posted:

THE PERFECT CAST...

The judge: SHAQ

Glanton: David Carradine

Tobin: Bryan Cranston

The kid: Jay Baruchel

Toadvine: Seth Rogan

David Brown: James Franco

Bathcat: Jon Heder

Black Jackson: Craig Robinson

White Jackson: Bill Burr

Sproule: Jonah Hill

Captain White: Michael Madsen

John McGill: Jack Black

The Mennonite: Matthew McConaughey

The anchorite: Bruce Dern

"When the lambs is lost" guy: Benicio del Toro

lol

Blood Meridian produced by Judd Apatow

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Bear gets shot *record scratch*

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
My favorite recurring McCarthyisms are discalced and mendicant.

If they appear together… :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Looks like there’s some forward momentum on the Hillcoat Blood Meridian project.