Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I finally decided to read Blood Meridian. Is it okay to discuss in this thread or should I go elsewhere? I'm baffled by his decision to put spoilers at the beginning of every chapter.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So I finished up Blood Meridian and I was blown away. This was my third time attempting it, over the course of 5 years. I knew it was going to be a grueling read, even still it felt like I had to force myself to read it. But boy, it was worth it. What a ride, what an amazing piece of literature. The Judge is such a fascinating character. Afterwards I devoured some episodes of the Reading McCarthy podcast, and two Yale lectures on Youtube about the book.

I didn't know where I should go next, and I tried to start Pretty Horses and No Country, but somehow I managed to get into Suttree. About a quarter of the way through it and I love the language and Harrogate is such a hilarious, fun character.

Definitely gonna be checking out more episodes of the Reading McCarthy pod. I also expect that I will post an annoying number of times in this thread as I make my way through McCarthy's oeuvre.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
To those who have read Passenger / Stella Maris:
There is a new episode of the reading McCarthy podcast up, first aired last week, on Stella Maris

Since I have the option, when do you guys think I should read Passenger / Stella Maris? Should I make my way through the rest of his oeuvre first? Or should I insert them somewhere in the middle so I don't see a dropoff in quality? I tried to start The Road last night but I think I am gonna do All The Pretty Horses instead because my mind is still in the frontier.

Here's a seemingly neat book about McCarthy that I want to get when I have a spare $30:
https://www.amazon.com/Books-Are-Made-Out-Influences/dp/1477313486

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just finished All The Pretty Horses and it didn't do it for me the way Blood Meridian and Suttree did.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Suttree was not full of gratuitous violence and I loved that too. Horses definitely felt like a McCarthy YA novel. I'm still gonna read the rest of the Border trilogy, but I am actually re-reading Blood Meridian again because gently caress it, that book was so good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah I dunno who I think I am. Two months ago I'd never read McCarthy and here I am criticizing one of his books as YA. The narrator being a teenager doesn't make it YA.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
James Franco's "rewrite" of Blood Meridian is abominable, it is laughably bad, and I didn't think I could despite that dude anymore. It starts off with: "Introduce the kid. He is lean and mean."

Apparently he did a rewrite and directed some test footage of the scene with the Judge making gunpowder. If you have some time to waste and some hair to spare, you're gonna be pulling it out, then Google it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I finished The Road and I hated it. The prose was nearly as desolate as the apocalyptic wasteland it depicted. After reading many tomes of post-apocalyptic fiction, as far as plot goes, I am jaded. Next will be The Crossing.

Rankings
1 (tie). Blood Meridian
1 (tie). Suttree
3. All The Pretty Horses
4. The Road

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I read Child of God in a sitting and loved it. Brilliant. I requested Outer Dark and The Passenger from the library.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am now at the part in The Passenger where Thalidomide Kid is talking to Bobby.

What a strange, ponderous book, so far. I am glad I read his others before I got into this one. I doubt I would've stuck around this long. Definitely feels Pychon-y at times. I love the Suttree-esque characters.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

wat

nonono do not try to film this book
I agree, but gently caress it, if McCarthy is doing it, I'll watch it and be happy about it. If we get one new sentence from him, that can justify the lovely film.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

escape artist posted:

I agree, but gently caress it, if McCarthy is doing it, I'll watch it and be happy about it. If we get one new sentence from him, that can justify the lovely film.

So, about that new sentence...

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This was probably posted before but a re-post is worth it. I am finally listening to this interview he gave. About halfway through and I don't have much to add but it's fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrUy1Vn2KdI

Here's an article he wrote that is referred to throughout the conversation, for reference

https://nautil.us/the-kekul-problem-236574/

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Proust Malone posted:

Finally got around to Suttree and so far I’m loving it. I’m putting it right behind Blood Meridian.

Come join us in the book of the month thread, we're discussing Suttree this month. I'm re-reading it and would love to hear any and all thoughts.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I felt pretty dumb when I realized who the Kid actually was... the child that would've resulted from a consummation of Alicia's desires for Bobby

Your post made me feel dumb too, but it was interesting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Stella Maris. I liked it more than the Passenger.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

But Stella Maris is still $11.99... Honestly probably a smart idea to give away the difficult one and if people can get through that, they almost have to buy Stella Maris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Reading the book years after seeing the movie, the book helped me understand the final act a lot more, both thematically and in terms of what happened in the story.