Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
gently caress yeah Phils

https://twitter.com/phillies_muse/status/1584306397847527424?s=46&t=PXjOB8j9_vRHWd-Sei68jQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Marklar posted:

Sorry you’ve had bad experiences when visiting. There’s a lot of cool things.

Unreal Phils. Incredible.

I’m just letting off steam with some salt, I apologize. I’ve visited three times and it’s been nice each time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hell yeah drop those expletives

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Johnny Bravo posted:

im probably biased but i think the trade worked out great since we got josh naylor rocking lil gerrit cole to sleep

It wouldn't have been so bad if one of the other pitching prospects actually delivered, but Ryan Weathers turned into a pumpkin, Morejon looks like he's going to be long relief at best, and I really don't think there's anyone left on the farm who is ready to step into the starter role in 2023. MAYBE they give Nick Martinez another shot at the role?

Their window is closing because I'm not sure they have the money to keep Soto, but who knows.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Go Phils!

Kyle Schwarber World Series MVP. You heard it here first.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

"Fugly Muppet" got me.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I should try to get a job at Jeff Penn or chop again.

Temple would be coolest tho cause they are union :cool:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Go Phils!

Kyle Schwarber World Series MVP. You heard it here first.

He had a .500 OBP in the WS in 2016. Let's see if he can beat that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope Harper and Schwarber crush Houston.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Popete posted:

I hope Harper and Schwarber crush Houston.

Meh

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In retrospect, I know hindsight is 20/20, but why did the Padres pitch to Harper, at all ever? Even at the end, whether it was Suarez or Hader, why pitch to the Phillies' best hitter? They were happy to pitch around Schwarber, but never took a pass against Harper.

I feel like Melvin barely used the best of his bullpen. He was always playing for tomorrow.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Red posted:

In retrospect, I know hindsight is 20/20, but why did the Padres pitch to Harper, at all ever? Even at the end, whether it was Suarez or Hader, why pitch to the Phillies' best hitter? They were happy to pitch around Schwarber, but never took a pass against Harper.

I feel like Melvin barely used the best of his bullpen. He was always playing for tomorrow.

He outsmarted himself like 30 times. The only correct decision was walking Schwarber went it got to 3-0 in the 7th

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The fact that Suarez was ahead in the count worked against him. If Harper had gotten to 3-2 they probably throw in the dirt and walk him

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Christ the Flyers are playing rn, hats off to anyone who made it in the building.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Anyways, congrats Phillies, now you are the dads. Better take it all.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Did anyone put Celine Dion over the Harper HR yet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I missed the entire game ! Oh well my son won his football game

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1584323096328052738?t=hLyXChrOakKEVnIQd6KHNQ&s=19

Red
Apr 15, 2003

illcendiary posted:

He outsmarted himself like 30 times. The only correct decision was walking Schwarber went it got to 3-0 in the 7th

In so many ways.

- At some point, you have to try someone else in Grisham's place. Try Profar in CF and either Myers or Drury in LF.
- Looking back, this is a wildly different series if you start Nick Martinez instead of Clevinger.
- I'm down on the use of the shift, but it generally seemed to help the Padres more than it hurt them. Employing the shift against Harper instead of simply walking him wasn't a better approach. I don't think they used it against Castellanos, unless it just wasn't captured on TV.
- Their pitchers weren't aggressive enough with some batters, like Stott, but they handled Bohm well enough. I feel like Melvin should have just let his pitchers go for it, and rely on his defense and bullpen.
- Machado didn't make a difference offensively, despite being behind Soto, which is probably his best spot. Looking back, Cronenworth is probably their best bet for leadoff given how much he works pitchers and just finds ways to get to first. Profar was fine, I guess, but doesn't seem to do anything leadoff-y.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/finklebone/status/1584339587165716480

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watching the dvr and Robertson got squeezed hard in the 9th

Also harpers hr was on a nasty pitch with 2 strikes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t understand that bunt but Grisham at all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess he was trying for a hit or an error

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1584330812182659072

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I live in Colorado and Phillies WS tickets are $$$$ so I just bought a flight + hotel + tickets to game 1 in Houston....... And now the Yanks are winning....

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slimy Hog posted:

I live in Colorado and Phillies WS tickets are $$$$ so I just bought a flight + hotel + tickets to game 1 in Houston....... [url=]And now the Yanks are winning[/url]....

Well I mean Ted Cruz is attending.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
shameless self promotion? whatever another excuse to post this dinger

https://twitter.com/abagorn/status/1584344784386555904?s=46&t=MEQGyLeAUs9uf_M3BpRXdw

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife said Doc Oz was trying to cash in on this. :lol:

Like good luck dude I guess you have the advantage of not being Ted Cruz.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:kiss:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/1584339273767346177

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

euphronius posted:

I don’t understand that bunt but Grisham at all
If it helps at all, that puts you in good company, along with... *checks notes*... literally every human being alive who is not Robert "Bob" Melvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

Suarez was moving his 98 mph fastball all over the place and Harper was solidly fouling them all off, then spit on a nasty slider. It was at that point I knew if they didn't walk him they were dead