Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lockback posted:

The whole point of taking hostages is you don't just give them up. Russia would want something in return.

In the case of Paul Whelan, the Russian authorities are still calling him a spy and they will probably never ever release him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If the merchant of death was so bad you would have already written your congressperson to sentence him to death or compromise him to a permanent end or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fast Luck posted:

yeah but if nobody cares about him couldn't he just be thrown in as like a prisoner to be named later? Not nice to leave him rotting in jail

No the Russians care or they wouldn’t have arrested him, it’s just the US really doesn’t. This Griner thing has been a story for months so bringing her home actively accomplished something

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tae posted:

Tuesdays and Fridays

Yeah those dudes are the worst nba content I've ever actually listened to and mega suck.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's fine to notice that trading a notorious arms dealer for someone who brought weed into a country with strict drug laws feels lopsided; it doesn't make you a bad person. You can even do this while recognizing that Britney Griner rotting away in a Russian prison camp is bad and its good that she avoided that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's more that Griner is a polarizing figure because she's a domestic abuser. People don't exactly want to trade for a poo poo head that would have been left to rot if they weren't a minorly famous person putting pressure on an administration.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's fine to notice that trading a notorious arms dealer for someone who brought weed into a country with strict drug laws feels lopsided; it doesn't make you a bad person. You can even do this while recognizing that Britney Griner rotting away in a Russian prison camp is bad and its good that she avoided that.

Agreed, weed is a schedule 1 federally banned substance and selling guns is protected by the 2nd amendment

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

The whole point of taking hostages is you don't just give them up. Russia would want something in return.
he's just a nobody, i don't think they even arrested him to be a hostage and anyway they're getting back an arms dealer that you say is gonna tilt the balance of the war in Ukraine! throw him into the package! Danny would have got it done.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Whelan would need a more blockbuster trade, you're not getting an (alleged) superstar spy for just some minor Griners. At least star (Robert Hanssen) for star with some future pick swaps.

I do feel for Griner in that not being able to play in Russia significantly damages her potential earnings going forward all for what we ALL can agree is a victimless crime.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit
Remember, Griner is famous and rotted for months.

Doltos posted:

It's more that Griner is a polarizing figure because she's a domestic abuser. People don't exactly want to trade for a poo poo head that would have been left to rot if they weren't a minorly famous person putting pressure on an administration.

While abroad with a friend, my friend was arrested in a US friendly country on obviously false charges (which were thankfully dropped after spending a week in prison) and I called the US embassy to see what sort of help they could provide (even for something like how to contact a lawyer who spoke English) and they basically told me to gently caress off because they "don't interfere or assist with" justice systems in other countries, not even for American citizens. Which is obviously bullshit in more ways than one. I guess if my friend was rich and famous, they would have done whatever they could to help out.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 8, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

JackBandit posted:

I have a friend who was traveling in India and hit an unexpected checkpoint or something and had to do a bunch of acid to finish his stash. He definitely came back changed.

Also, just wanted to say I didn’t understand the cinema talk at all but I’m honored to hear from all you learned doctors of film.

Lol how was he expecting them to find his acid? It’s not weed, there are no acid sniffing dogs

Fast Luck posted:

he's just a nobody, i don't think they even arrested him to be a hostage and anyway they're getting back an arms dealer that you say is gonna tilt the balance of the war in Ukraine! throw him into the package! Danny would have got it done.

mdemone posted:

In the case of Paul Whelan, the Russian authorities are still calling him a spy and they will probably never ever release him.

Paul Whelan is a scam artist and career thief who almost definitely misrepresented himself and then got in way over his head. He’s probably not a CIA asset, but he probably claimed to be (just like he faked half his police credentials and the experience he used to get his job in Russia in the first place). He’s a dipshit who hosed around and found out. Marc Fogel is the teacher who just had some weed in his bags and the US hasn’t even negotiated for him because he’s not classified as wrongfully detained.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Isentropy posted:

Whelan would need a more blockbuster trade, you're not getting an (alleged) superstar spy for just some minor Griners. At least star (Robert Hanssen) for star with some future pick swaps.

I do feel for Griner in that not being able to play in Russia significantly damages her potential earnings going forward all for what we ALL can agree is a victimless crime.

I sort of wonder how many US players are gonna play in Russia going forward, either out of solidarity with Griner or paranoia that they might be next

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Paul Whelan got dishonorably discharged by the marines for stealing crayons

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hifi posted:

If the merchant of death was so bad you would have already written your congressperson to sentence him to death or compromise him to a permanent end or whatever.

It's too bad that the only two options for anyone is to have them murdered by the state or give them to a dictatorship that desperately wants their expertise to provide some measure of help in waging an unlawful expansionist war. That's literally all. Shame.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

I sort of wonder how many US players are gonna play in Russia going forward, either out of solidarity with Griner or paranoia that they might be next

any American with any level of fame should not be traveling to Russia at all

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Britney griner is getting a hero’s welcome from all the male domestic abuser athletes. Kareem hunt throwing ticker tape and giving her a big hat

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Don't know how much it will change if that's their best chance at making a living. Maybe solidarity with Griner knocks it down a bit, but for the paranoia part, the US/Canadian governments both put out GTFO warnings to players in the Russian hockey league and the number of players this year is pretty steady from the last couple of years.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Where is the december thread

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mdemone posted:

any American with any level of fame should not be traveling to Russia at all

Yeah no poo poo. Considering I would bet money she was setup specifically by her local handler there is no reason anyone should ever take money from oligarchs to play overseas, especially in Russia itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s being held prisoner in Russia are you not reading the thread

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I feel like we're starting to drift a little bit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DeimosRising posted:

Lol how was he expecting them to find his acid? It’s not weed, there are no acid sniffing dogs

Paul Whelan is a scam artist and career thief who almost definitely misrepresented himself and then got in way over his head. He’s probably not a CIA asset, but he probably claimed to be (just like he faked half his police credentials and the experience he used to get his job in Russia in the first place). He’s a dipshit who hosed around and found out. Marc Fogel is the teacher who just had some weed in his bags and the US hasn’t even negotiated for him because he’s not classified as wrongfully detained.
Paul Whelan is a fraud. You trade for him hoping maybe he pans out like a Bol Bol but he's all fizzle and no sizzle, in the end you just get vaporware like a Tyrus Thomas or Anthony Randolph. If he's gonna succeed it's gonna be in Europe or even right there in Russia. Marc Fogel is a lunchpail guy. He's your 2004 pistons bench guy type. Fans of the team know him and appreciate him but for the most part he puts on his hard hat and toils in obscurity and his contributions are exclusively intangibles. You can get a guy like this for pennies on the dollar

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

here to bless page 134.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Someone start a December thread for christ sakes

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

It's either this or acknowledging the existence of the Boston Celtics

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

America got fleeced

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

He's dancing to Cotton Eyed Joe

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Away all Goats posted:

America got fleeced
People think that just because theyre good politicians they'll be good GMs, only to turn out like Michael Jordan drafting Adam Morrison or LeBron demanding Russell Westbrook or whatever

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: wrong thread

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 8, 2022

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Awesome

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That's too much!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ken is an underrated baller. Chun-li is much better.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oops

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Blanka is Zion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019270