Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think this subforum has quite a few gardeners who unlike me don't kill every plant they touch. Please post your plants, setups, etc, I love seeing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There is also some pretty neat stuff out there regarding DIY hydroponic stuff. Haven't really looked into it though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife is a gardener op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my partner is going to garden today. it seems like a good hobby

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i did diy hydro sorta thing for my weed grow back in the day. its neat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I would discuss meditation with my partner she describes gardening in a similar way wrt spending swathes of time in quiet states of mind, I believe it’s probably very beneficial for your mental health

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kinda wish I had the motivation to become a tomato dad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
we grew a wild weed transplant on our north-facing balcony and it wound up great

it yielded enough flower for a bunch of brownies and butter, and there’s been a bunch left to vape

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

kinda wish I had the motivation to become a tomato dad

it's rough brother, i completely neglected my tomatoes last year and they did so much better than this year where i was actively taking care of them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a good tomato is surely one of the greatest joys in life

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
tomatoes seem like so much work compared to other stuff, they’re just so drat easy to kill

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
like seriously if you splash dirt on them while watering or don’t sanitize your pruning shears you might give them a disease? wtf?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have no time to garden. too many computers with pieces of poo poo operating systems to deal with.

when the garden gets out of hand, I release the chooks onto it. job done.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

vege garden is down though. going simple this year. leaf salad stuff and the cabbage/broccoli stuff

this was it at some point last season

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice farm!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

a good tomato is surely one of the greatest joys in life

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

+1 on deploying the chickens, they are loving great at weeding out a section of land. thanks chooks. chanks

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

we tore out the front lawn a few years ago and replaced it with an insane garden. lots of native plants and pollenators. tons of ground cover, completely out of control. it defeated us this year, just way too busy and then we caught covid and it was over. it's a huge mess now but im gonna cut it all back tomorrow and get it ready for winter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah

my ex wife once had this idea that she didn’t want to eat meat she didn’t know where it came from so she made an rabbit farm on our front lawn, made from bits of wood and chicken fencing she nailed together

gently caress it was grim. you gotta support your partners in their dreams though. we only ate one of them and it was grossly unappealing.

totally hosed the lawn too, and after she concluded it was very odd idea and tore it down, we had to completely re-do the lawn. fuckkn lmao

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

echinopsis posted:

hell yeah

my ex wife once had this idea that she didn’t want to eat meat she didn’t know where it came from so she made an rabbit farm on our front lawn, made from bits of wood and chicken fencing she nailed together

gently caress it was grim. you gotta support your partners in their dreams though. we only ate one of them and it was grossly unappealing.

totally hosed the lawn too, and after she concluded it was very odd idea and tore it down, we had to completely re-do the lawn. fuckkn lmao

i mean i'm all about the idea but lmao if the conclusion is to start raising and eating rabbits, god drat

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I grew some escarole for months before I realized it's not even close to the right sort of chicory I wanted lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

we tore out the front lawn a few years ago and replaced it with an insane garden. lots of native plants and pollenators. tons of ground cover, completely out of control. it defeated us this year, just way too busy and then we caught covid and it was over. it's a huge mess now but im gonna cut it all back tomorrow and get it ready for winter

just tell yourself you're rewilding instead

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

haven't been doing a bunch of actual planting lately. instead its been a lot of maintenance and keeping all the rabbits/deer/possums away. was falling behind on gorse and ended up just using a brush cutter to clear the rest before it had time to go to seed

but thanks to all the possum trapping it looks like we had better luck with things pollinating this year and might actually get some fruit

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'm obsessed with attempting to grow natives from seed. I collect seeds while I'm out and about or order them online. Mostly I collect seeds though

I'm growing:

- some kind of manuka
- pincushion hakea
- coastal banksia
- some bottlebrushes
- daisy yams
- kangaroo apple (relative of the tomato)

I'm also growing some squash, onion, garlic, tomato

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
previous owners of our house had put raised beds all in the back and planted a bunch of tasty herbs like rosemary, lemon thyme, basil, etc. this spring we are gonna rip out all the stupid beautiful flowers and put more food things and a weed plant (got a single seed as a housewarming gift). one of our neighbors has a full on farm in their back and run a composting business so I’m gonna lean on their green thumb to get us through.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

distortion park posted:

just tell yourself you're rewilding instead

at this point it is. working on it now and there's grasses my trimmers can't even cut through. there were these four plants growing we both liked but neither of us remember planting anything like them. two bushes we were told would get three feet tall max, one is four and the other is taller than i am

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cat Face Joe posted:

there's grasses my trimmers can't even cut through.

time to bring out the blade trimmer :cool:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd do 100% more gardening if there were no mosquitoes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trying to figure out some plants i can run on the porch in the winter

was honestly considering planting tiny evergreens in the pots and then transplanting them to a nice field in the spring

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I'm growing peppers and tomatoes in a couple Aerogardens right now! They work well and I don't really mess with the units themselves, but I do find adding CalMag and hydrogen peroxide in addition to the standard nutrients makes a good bit of difference in how most plants grow in them.

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
we bought a house earlier this year, the previous owner was a hulticulturist who planted a shitload of flowers and bushes everywhere, but was super old and sick and couldn't care for it any more so it all went to hell. I'm working on digging everything up so I can put in native prairie grasses and some pollinators and wildflowers in next spring

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

trying to figure out some plants i can run on the porch in the winter

was honestly considering planting tiny evergreens in the pots and then transplanting them to a nice field in the spring

Mediaphage is probably the expert here but I haven't seen them post in a while now. Any type of green e.g. collards, spinach, kale, boy choy, etc. Also most herbs do fine in the winter, although if you have frost in your area just keep an active eye on them.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Brought my curry plant inside and my cats ate about half the leaves. ~_~

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Mediaphage is probably the expert here but I haven't seen them post in a while now. Any type of green e.g. collards, spinach, kale, boy choy, etc. Also most herbs do fine in the winter, although if you have frost in your area just keep an active eye on them.

gently caress it'd be awesome as hell to have a couple of pots of greens on my hangers next to the front door hahaha i'm in. i'll shop around a bit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Herbs have once again been planted. 🙏

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

we're so behind on our garden and it looks like total poo poo. the lambs ears have completely taken over and anywhere they haven't is weeds

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

last place had a nice garden, we harvested a bunch of lemon balm, rhubarb, basil and other herbs, lavender, cherry tomatoes, raspberries, cherries, peas and some other stuff. but this appt doesn’t have such luxuries. wherever I own will tho

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I just haven’t had the time to get to mine. my yard is still unmowed too. I just wanna spend time in nature doing rad poo poo, not lame computer poo poo!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spinach has sprouted, shall be eating delicious greens in 6 weeks :letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The sniper gets to decide what vegetable I plant this spring: