Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Update 8: Whiteholm Festivities

Last time we ended right before the festivities started, and this update will be entirely taken up by the exploration section.

The earth has yielded treasures more magnificent than even we had anticipated. May the mines endure for many years as a symbol of prosperity for all of our nations.
Well said. With Hyzante's salt and capital, Aesfrost's ingenuity, and Glenbrook's raw materials and manpower, our realm's future is bright indeed. It is a partnership built on three pillars, each bearing equal weight. We owe a debt of gratitude for all who have supported this grand venture. Of particular note is Lord Dragan, whose knowledge has allowed us to so swiftly see our labor bear fruit, and House Wolffort, whose mediation has proved invaluable in forming this accord. May their deeds be forever remembered by history. Let us raise their cups and toast to their health and happiness!

Crowd Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Do not get too swept away in the moment, Erador. We have a job to do here, and the day has only begun.
Now that the formalities are done with, let the festivities begin! Step forward, Ser Maxwell!

Maxwell moves up as the crowd applauds.

Glenbrook's fiercest warrior. They say he has never known defeat.

Now that the foundations for peace have been laid, let us be stifled by rigid formality no longer. There is a tourney to be had. after all. A much more entertaining event than my endless speeches.

Crowds Hear Hear! Hear Hear!

Will any among you prove a match for our Ser Maxwell, the champion of our previous challenge? I very much look forward to finding out. Until then, help yourselves to our hospitality—and our wine!
Eat, drink, and be merry. It shall not be long until final preparations are complete.

Everyone splits up to enjoy the festivities.

Ah, but I forget myself. Our time is nigh, Lord Wolflort. Congratulations, my friend.
Thank you. But living up to the title will be no easy task.
You'll do your father proud, I'm sure. Unlike some of us...

This brings up another convictions choice.

Have more faith in yourself, my friend. After all, you, too, shoulder the future of the kingdom.
I wonder. I wonder if Glenbrook will truly flourish thanks to anything I do.
Of course it will. It already has. Besides, House Wolffort is at your back.
My apologies...and thank you. I shall strive to be worthy of your support.

Fast friends from the day we met. And you are?
Apologies for not introducing you sooner. This is Hughette of the Kingsguard.
I am tasked with keeping His Highness safe...though he often seems to resent it. 'Tis a pleasure to meet you, Lord Wolffort.
Ah, Prince Roland has told me much about you. I can see he is in good hands.
I shall see that it is so, my lord.
Now, let us begin our preparations. Today we take the field, and today...
Today, we claim victory!

After that, Roland and Hughette officially join us and we’re given free rein to explore the area.

There are tons of people to talk to, but first things first, we’re going to run around and grab the available items. On a nearby table, and then hidden in a tree in the back of the garden, we’ll find a total of 2 Sleep Recovery Pellets and then another 150 coins.

After that, we’ll work our way down from the top of the area.

Glenbrook Soldier Beautiful, elegant, and brilliant. What I wouldn't give to serve under someone like her! Word has it her new assistant is a strapping young researcher, said to be well versed in ice magic... ...Ah, I knew I should've spent more time at my books instead of in the training yard...

l'd very much like to see the skill of Minister Lyla's new assistant for myself. Perhaps I will, and sooner rather than later.

Talking to this soldier gives us our first piece of information, on an ice mage in Hyzante. We can use information to unlock additional response in conversations, as well as just a way to get some hints about potential events in the future.

We can talk to Patriatte, Erador, and Anna, who are all nearby, but our next piece of information will be from this noblewoman just below the soldiers.

Noble It is said that within the Archives' countless tomes lies the answer to any and all questions that have ever been asked. You only need seek them out.

A house of boundless knowledge... That's certainly something I'd like to see with my own eyes.

So we take note of the Aesfrosti archives before moving on to the Aesfrosti Blackiron just below.

Aesfrosti Soldier Day and night we train. and l daresay even our rank and file would be a match for any other army's elite troops. Why, just the other day. we managed to capture a particularly dangerous smuggler. He was swift as a horse and as deadly with a bow as any man alive. I even broke a bone in the process!

His skill would have doubtless made him a capable soldier... It's a wonder what disparate paths our choices send us down.

From this guy, we learn about the Captured Smuggler.

And then right across the path, there’s another Aesrosti soldier to talk to.

For better or worse, in Aesfrost we value freedom over all else. Those with the drive to succeed naturally rise to the top. Though your kingdom's lords and ladies might view us as a rabble of ambitious upstarts... We aren't beholden by tradition in Aesfrost. If you've ever any interest in seeing what true freedom looks like, you're welcome any time.
A country where one is judged by ability, and not birth. It certainly has produced some formidable personages... I shall have to visit whenever time allows.

From him, we get a bit more information on The Grand Duchy of Aesfrost. Just below him are Thalas and Erika.

Ah, Serenoa Wolffort. How good to see you again so soon. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Thalas Aesfrost, at your service. I suppose soon I shall be calling you my brother-in—law. This is quite the castle you have. Full of history and great deeds. I hope that one day fate sees it fit to deliver me one so grand.
I suppose we haven't formally met yet... I'm Erika Aesfrost. Yes, Frederica is my sister. Although I hardly think of her as such. This country is...old, for lack of a better word. I'm certain it will fit her sensibilities perfectly.

We can then hop down into the party itself and mingle there.

Still, I pray you remain a faithful friend to my brother. He has his foibles. but I care for him all the same.
You're joining the tourney with my brother, aren't you? Ser Maxwell has trained with him since he was little. Roland could barely stand after they sparred... But he even walks like the Dawnspear now. I'm so proud to have him as my brother! Ah. my apologies. Frani is always saying I let my emotions get the better of me. Please...keep my brother safe, will you?

Frani and Cordelia don’t have any information, but I do like the different dynamic it shows compared to what we’ve seen of their squabbling.

Each face I see is more impressive than the last. Even members of the Saintly Seven have deigned to step foot upon our shores. Of course, I have had many dealings with Hyzante in the past. I am taken to understand all are equal in the eyes of their Goddess. and even those not of noble birth can achieve prestigious stations. I intend to use this opportunity to avail myself of this famed equality, and perhaps win the ear of a saint in the process.
A country where station is decided not by birth? I was not aware Hyzante's Goddess was so equitable in Her judgment. I would very much like to make time to visit.

Nearby, however, Clarus gives us a bit more information on the Holy State of Hyzante, and his neighbor has some information on the Ministry of Medicine there as well.

The duties of a young lordling are many. but I trust you are more than capable. May this mine bring prosperity to us all. Such a massive endeavor is bound to be fraught with danger. If you or yours ever require medical treatment, pray visit the Ministry of Medicine. We are blessed with the finest medical minds in Norzelia, but our facilities aren't open to just anyone. Mention my name, however, and every service shall be at your disposal.
I've heard tell of the Ministry. It‘s said that even the most grievous wounds can be treated there. I'd very much like to see how such miracles are performed.

After that, we’ve gathered all of the information we’ll find in this exploration. But we’re not done quite yet.

First, we have two more Conviction choices. One with Benedict.

My lord, before the tourney begins, I would like to ask you a single question. To what end do you believe this contest is being held?

It may appear to be mere entertainment, but reputations are at stake. If we show weakness, then it will be noted by all in attendance.
Just so. my lord. Each nation will show their strength. and take the measure of the others in turn.
It will be a test of skill as well as mettle. I'll not treat it lightly.
Very good. It shall be the first of many tests to come. I am sure.

And the other one is with Geela.

Do you have a stratagem in mind for the tourney?

You handled yourselves admirably when the bandits attacked. I expect your magic will be key to our victory.
ls that so. my lord? To tell the truth. I hadn't anticipated such a response. but thank you for the flattery nonetheless.
l was being sincere. l have faith in all my allies, else we would not be fighting together.
Your honesty is refreshing indeed. I am not so nervous as l was a moment before. I shall do my best to answer your every expectation. Lady Frederica and I shall prove ourselves worthy to fight alongside you.

With that, we’re just about done here and there are just a few minor things to finish up with.

We can find General Avlora brooding off in the corner below Thalas and Erika,

talk to this Bewitching Dancer who twirls around as she says hello,

And most importantly, we’ll finish things off by petting this cat sitting behind the tree. Next time, we’ll start the tourney itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Petting cats is the most important part of the game, it's true.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:radcat: Listen Serenoa, you have to work on your petting technique if you intend to face the champion on the Catourney.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

By popular demand posted:

:radcat: Listen Serenoa, you have to work on your petting technique if you intend to face the champion on the Catourney.

Calling it now, the final boss is just a lion. We'll gain EXP by petting larger and larger cats.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's called Triangle Strategy because of their triangle ears. :hai:

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
The true final ending is not determined by your convictions or performance in battle, but solely by petting all the cats you encounter.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I am definitely evil

Hughette is the kind of name where the parents were expecting a boy and didn't have any other ideas

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nonsense, he's clearly a jewelry enthusiast.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Next time I get my driver's license renewed I'm gonna see if they'll let me do an imperious sneer in the photo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I am definitely evil

My first thought as well.

So the Aesfrosti are obviously the Liberty faction, can we reason out which of the other nations are Utility and Morality respectively?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Torrannor posted:

My first thought as well.

So the Aesfrosti are obviously the Liberty faction, can we reason out which of the other nations are Utility and Morality respectively?

Given that Hyzante controls the most vital resource and heavily taxes it and is all about equality they are probably Utility.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 9: The Whiteholm Tourney

Welcome back! It’s finally time to have a 2nd battle in this strategy game.

When we enter the scene, we’re greeted with massive applause.

The combatants have arrived, and the stage has been set. Let us introduce the champions who will fight for the glory of their nations! Fighting for the honor of the Grand Duchy of Aesfrost: General Avlora! Fighting for the honor of the Holy State of Hyzante: Minister Exharme Marcial!

The two groups face off.

Fighting for the honor of the Kingdom of Glenbrook: House Wolffort! And last, but not least—the victor of our previous tourney, Ser Maxwell, the Dawnspear!

Crowds Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!

The groups shift again.

The Wolffort lordling is here in his father's stead, I see.
Lord Symon's heroics on the battlefield are the stuff of legend. A pity I couldn't match swords with him today...
You will match swords with me. I promise to make it every bit as exhilarating as Father would.
You have his spirit, if nothing else.
Indeed. I look forward to crossing swords with you.

I shall announce our first pairing, as chosen by lots... Minister Exharme and Lord Wolffort! Make ready for combat!

The scene fades out and we’re brought to a battle preparation screen. Here we can do all the typical things like last minute shopping, equipment changes, upgrades etc. As well as changing the starting positions of our units.

We can also check out our enemies and see what we’re up against.

Four out of our eight foes are these basic Hyzantian Rogues. They’re not particularly noteworthy, other than the fact that they all have a 2 range attack with their throwing knife ability.

The other two generics are Hyzantian Pikemen. Since they wield a spear, they have a 2 tile attack range like Roland. They’re a bit bulkier than the Rogues, but aren’t too threatening either. They do also have what is effectively the same ability as Serenoa’s Delaying Strike, but the higher cost means that the AI generally won’t spam it like we can.

Finally, we come to our named foes. First up is Minister Sorsley Ende. He’s the higher level of the pair, with a good bit more HP than Minister Exharme, but is weaker in most other stats. Like most bosses, he’s immune to a good chunk of status effects, and his only active ability is a physical attack that has a high chance to put the target to sleep for two turns.

And rounding out our foes is Minister Exharme himself. Like Roland, he is on a horse, and is thus highly mobile and takes bonus damage from spears. Unlike Roland, Exharme uses a sword so he only has a single square of range. He also has immunity to a good swathe of status effects, with both blindness and fury being relevant here. His active ability, Sandstorm, is also incredibly nasty. For two TP, he can make an attack that is about 1.5 times as strong as a basic attack, while also debuffing the target’s strength and defense for three turns. Exharme is definitely the big threat of the group, and I’ll want to take him down ASAP.

I do a bit of jiggering with the formation, and then it’s time for the battle.

Heh... Be gentle, my lords. I am not as strapping as once I was.
I expect no quarter from you, Prince Roland. Nor from you, Lord Serenoa. Show us the swordplay your house is so famous for.
They're two of Hyzante's most famed generals. We'll have no room for mistakes.
Then we shall make none. Now, let us show the realm the mettle of the new generation!
For honor and glory!

With that, the fight starts and the rogues start moving up. First on our side is our rogue, Anna. Her shining factor is that she can take two actions (attack, use an item, etc.) in one turn. It is exactly as powerful as it sounds, but to make up for it she is pretty frail. For now, I have her hang back so she doesn’t get swarmed.

As the enemies close in, I also keep Roland back since the pikes can do a number on him.

Next is our 2nd of three new people, and one of my favorite units, Hughette. She is our first archer and also rides a giant hawk to fly around the battlefield and ignore elevation. That’s not exactly relevant on this flat plane, but it’s still a wonderful trait that I will abuse in the future. She also gets the first damage of the fight in by pinging Exharme with her bow.

And then, since Exharme is exposed, I have Serenoa move in and hit him with a Delaying Strike to minimize how many turns he gets.

I have Benedict and Erador join Serenoa to set up a line of battle. Benedict then gets bullied by three rogues in a row, so I have Geela heal him back up.

And then Frederica takes advantage of the enemies clumping up to do good damage on two rogues and Exharme.

And Anna is then in position to go to work. A key thing about her two actions is that each of them can trigger a follow up attack from an ally. Here, I’m able to work with Benedict to take down about 70% of this pikeman’s HP in a single turn.

And Roland gets to join in by taking advantage of his AOE as well.

When her turn comes back around, Hughette scores the first kill by finishing off the weakened pikeman, while Serenoa keeps delaying Exharme’s turn.

Soon after, things get a little spooky when Anna gets flanked and loses nearly half her HP in a set of two attacks.

But on the other end, Erador is in his element and uses his provoke sill to taunt all of the nearby Hyzantians but Exharme. I did get a little lucky here by infuriating Sorsley, since there was only a 30% chance to get him. However, provoke is pretty reliable on generics, having about an 80% chance of success.

Since both of the rogues flanking Anna had been weakened, Frederica can take both of them out on her turn, while Geela heals Anna back up.

Unfortunately, Exharme finally gets a turn and does nearly half of Serenoa’s health in a single use of Sandstorm.

However, he then moves close enough for Anna to get behind him, and double crits combined with Benedict’s help makes Exharme’s HP fall down to about a quarter.

And then Roland takes advantage of his weakness to leave him in single digits.

Goddess, I thank you for your blessing this day. A worthy foe is a glorious gift indeed.
You find the Goddess in odd places, Exharme. This trifling tourney will bring Hyzante neither riches nor glory.
The Goddess works in myriad ways, Minister Sorsley. You would do well to keep your eyes attuned.

And Benedict takes the next opportunity to finish Exharme off. He also gets a new ability, Bulwark, after leveling up.

I asked for no quarter, and you did not disappoint. Perhaps one day we can light as allies. Minister Sorsley, I leave the rest in your capable hands.

With Exharme and more than half of the other enemies down, the rest of the fight goes by pretty quickly. Especially since Sorsley is really not a threat on his own.

After a few more turns, the rogue and pikeman go down.

While Sorsley gets surrounded and only survives a few turns thanks to his massive HP pool.

Ungh... My old wounds flare up again. I can fight no further.

And when he goes down, we win and are brought back to cutscene land.

Your father taught you well. You wield that greatsword with skill beyond your years. Well fought. The day is yours!
Victory goes to House Wolffort! Our next bout shall be between General Aviora and Ser Maxwell. May glory go to the victor!

We vacate the field and the other two teams head down.

Stand back. This one is mine.
Hmph. Very well. I accept your challenge.

The two warriors square off in the center of the field and start trading blows.

Whoever taught you...they taught you well. Though something tells me you surpassed your teacher long ago. Your defense is formidable.
...As is yours.

There’s some more back and forth before Maxwell darts in and gets a good hit, knocking Avlora back. She takes a moment and squares back up before sheathing her sword and turning away.

…I yield.
?

Maxwell is confused, and takes a good few seconds to catch his breath before turning to face King Regna.

Crowd Cheers!

My hand... I can't feel it... So that was General Avlora. I pray never to meet her on the battlefield...

The scene fades out once more and now we’re back up for the championship.

There will be no quarter given today, young lord of House Wolffort.
I would expect nothing less.

The two sides arm themselves and close in.

Before the screen just goes black, with a few clangs of metal on metal before quite a few thuds.

Huh? Where am l...? Gah….

We come to a few minutes later.

Ah, you're awake. And none the worse for wear, considering the blow you took from Ser Maxwell.
...He was too strong for us in the end.
Today, yes. But let us keep at our training. One day. the students will surpass their master.
Let us work hard for that day, my friend.

And with that, the chapter, and this update, is over.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

We haven't even begun to see Anna's full crazy powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not sure what it is, but something about this game's art style is bugging me. I think it's the color palette, I think maybe the words for it are that it's desaturated and washed-out in combination with the very stylized aesthetic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's definitely better than a BS unwinnable fight but I think that fade to black on the Sir Maxwell fight left something to be desired.
Does the voice acting improve that?
Also I wonder if General Aviora yielded because she accurately determined that Ser Maxwell is disabled and feared her next strike might kill or maim him permanently.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 8, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

By popular demand posted:

It's definitely better than a BS unwinnable fight but I think that fade to black on the Sir Maxwell fight left something to be desired.
Does the voice acting improve that?
Also I wonder if General Aviora yielded because she accurately determined that Ser Maxwell is disabled and feared her next strike might kill or maim him permanently.

I was under the impression that it was that, in order to hand us the fight for some reason or a power play where she wanted him to know she was stronger but not everyone else present.

My first thought is clearly ruled out by you not even getting to fight him, crippled or not. Our hero seems to have a ways to go.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

I was under the impression that it was that, in order to hand us the fight for some reason or a power play where she wanted him to know she was stronger but not everyone else present.

My first thought is clearly ruled out by you not even getting to fight him, crippled or not. Our hero seems to have a ways to go.

He hasn't petted enough cats yet. :powercatte:

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 10, 2022

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I hadn't realized horses were weak to lances. With that and Hughette, the game really likes giving you units that use their own weak point...

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 10: Whither the River Flows

We come in on the Whiteholm bridge as the drawbridge lowers.

Seeing our honored guests off shall be your last lordly duty this day. Now, I remind you...

You take to your new role well, Lord Serenoa. As I must now take to my own. Pray visit me at the mines whenever you have the time.

Thalas and Erika make their way out.

Farewell, Frederica. May we never meet again.
Thank you for such a productive use of our valuable time. I do so love interminable speeches and watching brutes play at war. Truly, the spirit of Glenbrook was on display for all to see.
Sigh….

Thalas takes note as General Avlora approaches

Oh, but I should watch my tongue. Wouldn't want her to go whimpering to Brother.

The siblings then walk off.

Pay my fool cousin no mind. We have work to do—work more important than any he could hope to be trusted with.
I apologize for those two. This was a fruitful day for all in attendance.
I am glad to hear you say so, General Avlora.

The Hyzantian delegates follow behind.

. . .

I can't believe we lost. I thought you were supposed to be one of Hyzante‘s greatest warriors?
Our foe was a worthy one. It would be an honor to cross blades again someday.
Thank you for your hospitality. Please give my regards to Lord Symon.
Of course, Minister.

And finally, we’re joined by a cohort from Glenbrook.

...It would seem everyone is gathered. You'll find your boats are laden with a bounty of GIenbrook's finest wares and victuals. King Regna asks that you eat and drink your fill, and toast to our three nations‘ newfound alliance.
[quietly] More of that swill you call wine? I suppose I can force myself to partake...
Your king honors us with his generosity. We shall present these as offerings to the Goddess of Salt. The hierophant, too, will no doubt be overjoyed.

The others walk off, but the two Glenbrook groups stay behind for a moment.

He would have you join our guests on their return voyage, to serve as their envoy.
This is a great honor. my lord. You would represent our nation, and speak with the king's voice.
If it is His Majesty's wish, it is a duty I will gladly accept. But there are two vessels, and only one of me. Did King Regna say which of our honored guests I should accompany?
He would leave that decision to you...Lord WolIfort. Lord Falkes, as representative of another of GIenbrook's high house, will board the ship you do not.

The mere fact that you whimper those words before us is answer enough.
Grrr…

Falkes moves over to Serenoa’s side.

Good show at the tourney, Lord Serenoa. You truly are your father's son. The king has seen fit to leave this decision in your hands. and I shall not gainsay his wisdom.
A lord must be worldly as well as wise. I trust you will conduct yourself as befits the lord of a high house.
Thank you. Ser Maxwell, Lord Falkes.
… The king has entrusted this decision to you, my lord. I suppose you have an idea as to why?
He means to test my judgment. He is waiting to see which I choose, and for what reason.
Indeed. We are friendly with both nations now, so neither choice will earn his ire. That said, there is no telling how these relations may change going forward. No doubt, the choice you make will have an effect on our own house's relationship with the nation you choose.
I understand. This requires careful consideration. Benedict, gather the others. I would hear their opinions on the matter. Then we shall consult the Scales of Conviction.
At once, my lord.

We head out to the world map, and actually unlock a number of things in the encampment, including a new shop and the ability to do mock battles for grinding. However, the only thing to do on the map itself is head back and start the exploration session.

Our group has assembled on the bridge with the Scales of Conviction.

It seems your first test as lord has come. 'Tis no small matter. either.
Indeed, but I needn't face it alone. I would ask each of you where you think we should go, and why. State your case before the Scales of Conviction. Then we shall decide our destination.
We take a vote and the consensus determines our action. Is that it?
That is correct. So long as my allies walk by my side, their opinions carry equal weight to mine. Such is the way of House Wolffort. As lord, I shall bear the weight of consequence for the scales' decision. Whatsoever they may be.
You are...more serious than usual, my friend.
He understands what it means to be lord of his house.
Well, I hope you have room for a stowaway, because I'm going too. In secret, of course, I trust the new Lord Wolffort will handle the ponderous negotiations and diplomacy with grace.

You may stay ashore if you wish, Hughette.
You know I cannot allow that. If you insist on going, then I shall attend you.
Well then. it would seem the matter is settled.
There is exactly one coin for each of us.
It seems fate has conspired to bring balance to our proceedings.
How curious.
Curious? I see it as a sign that the heavens approve of my joining you.
You are ever the optimist, my friend.
Shall we proceed, my lord? One coin, one vote.
Very well. I would hear each of your thoughts on the matter in turn. Then, you shall place your coin upon the Scales of Conviction, and illuminate the road ahead.

Although I may not have my own token of conviction, it is my duty to lend an ear to their arguments. An honest exchange of opinions will hopefully lead to a decision that satisfies all who vote.

We now have an opportunity to go around, hear our companions’ thoughts and arguments, and attempt to convince the group as a whole to vote the way we want to go. However, there is a little to do before we start on that.

Because, just off screen down the bridge, both Frani and Patriatte have convictions choices for us.

We’ll start with Frani.

But being party to Roland's fancies is not one of them. I hope you understand that.

Roland is doing what he can for the kingdom in his own way. As his older brother. I'm sure you can see that.
Thoughts like that are precisely why he is still so immature. I wish the solution were so simple, but neither the king nor kingdom is perfect... Even so...why would he choose a path that leads to his own suffering?
...It seems I misjudged you, Prince Frani. You worry a lot more for Roland than I had thought.
W-worry!? There is no cure for foolishness. so why would I waste my worries on him?

And then we’ll follow up with Patriatte.

King Regna expects great things of you, Lord Serenoa. If there is anything I can do to be of service. simply say the word.

I should like to hear more about our home of GIenbrook. Are there any problems I should be aware of?
Hahaha! Surely you jest, Lord Serenoa. The kingdom is in the capable hands of Royalists like myself. Our home has a long history of prosperous trade that utilizes everything our bountiful land has to offer. There is nothing for the warriors of House Wolffort to worry themselves over....But if I may be so blunt. Prince Roland's whimsical acts of late have been met with disappointment from both King Regna and Prince Frani.
I wouldn't call them "whimsical," Minister Patriatte. Roland is doing everything he can for his kingdom.
If this were not a family matter, I should like to ask His Highness myself to conduct himself in a manner more befitting a prince... Alas, this is out of my hands. I am certain you understand the same, Lord Wolffort. I would hate for anything to happen should you decide to step in.
House Wolffort has turned its sword on the royal family before, albeit thirty years ago. But in the end, your house joined forces with the kingdom to lead the war to its end, and are even lauded as heroes to this day... But there are some who still harbor their suspicions. I urge you to proceed with the utmost caution...
...Pray forgive me, I forget myself sometimes. I hope my foolish ramblings have not clouded your judgment. The decision is yours to make, Lord Serenoa. and I am sure you will choose most wisely.

With the convictions choices done, it’s time to take stock of everyone’s opinion. For every choice, we’ll need to convince a majority of our companions to vote a certain way. Conveniently, we can see everyone’s initial position on the left of the screen. This vote’s a pretty simple one, with a dead even heat and Anna as the only undecided person to start. Despite that, we might as well go around and get everyone’s idea before making a decision.

It would be wise to see how they live, don't you think?

When talking to one of our companions, we get an overview of their opinion and a set of options that we could attempt to persuade them towards. The bit in parentheses is a hint to the difficulty of the persuasion, with “This one should listen to reason” meaning that they’ll usually go with whatever you want, regardless of your reasoning.

As a bit of contrast, we’ll head down to Frederica next.

I have always wondered when I might visit the country where my mother was born. How did she spend her youth? I would very much like to see.

Frederica is much harder to persuade in this choice. In order to move her vote, we’d want to have a high conviction relevant to the choice, as well as make sure that we pick the most effective answers to any/all of her questions. However, since we only need a majority of our group to agree, we won’t necessarily need to always convince the most difficult people.

We also won’t be making any decision just yet, and will instead go around to the rest of the group.

Can't very well say Hyzante holds much appeal to me. Sorsley and Exharme are too clever by half. I'm sure the people of Aesfrost will give a warm reception. even if their weather won't.

Hyzante's Ministry of Medicine is said to be a beacon of progress in both medicine and magic. I believe we could benefit greatly from seeing the fruits of their knowledge with our own eyes.

Aesfrost's soldiers are said to be among the strongest in all of Norzelia. However, that is only hearsay. I mean to judge them for myself.

Until now, Frederica's position has offered her few chances to visit Hyzante. Deepening your relations with the Holy State would doubtless be to your benefit as well. Why not use this opportunity to let Frederica realize a long-held wish in the meantime?

And we’ll hit Anna last.

Aesfrost or Hyzante, it makes no difference to me. Where you go, I shall follow.

Since she’s initially undecided, we could persuade her either way. In this choice, especially, she is essentially guaranteed to go whichever way we ask, no matter what.

So now that we know all of our companions’ thoughts, where do we want to go, Aesfrost or Hyzante?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for Hyzante. I wanna meet that ice mage that was mentioned at the party!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Aesfrost is nice this time of year

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aesfrost is my choice for this round

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hyzante

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Gee, I wonder if we should go to the place that Frederica clearly doesn't want to be in or even remember about right now?

Hyzante

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We're marrying into the Aesfrosti family, so it seems natural we'd learn more about our in-laws.

Aesfrost

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Aesfrost.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Hyzante

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hyzante.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Asefrost

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I vote Hyzante for Frederica's sake, let's be nice to our wife-to-be.
Also the Hyzante people seem much craftier so getting their measure early might be for the best.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Aesfrost, they seem overly hostile so it's better to pay them a visit first.

Edit: I'm convinced by the argument below me, changing my vote to Hyzante

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 12, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This is why we should leave them for later, they are very obvious in their power struggles and can't take us by surprise.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hyzante; it would be pretty crass to make our fiancée immediately turn around and go back home when she explicitly doesn’t want to. She deserves a nice vacation from her horrible family.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It would be nice of Serenoa to go with what his fiancée wants, and visiting Hyzante after deepening his bonds with Aesfrost sounds like a diplomatic choice as well.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

megane posted:

Hyzante; it would be pretty crass to make our fiancée immediately turn around and go back home when she explicitly doesn’t want to. She deserves a nice vacation from her horrible family.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Hyzante, let our wife to be have a vacation from her usual douchebag relatives.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Hyzante. Happy wife, happy life. Don't screw this up right out of the gate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

raifield posted:

Hyzante. Happy wife, happy life. Don't screw this up right out of the gate.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Good married couples fight aside not together.:squawk::love::black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Aesfrost

Edited.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 12, 2022