Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
fart Simpson you nailed the colours on those stars!

Hidden Dwelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

toiletbrush posted:

Hidden Dwelling

reminds me of enders game or three body problem or any number of sci fis with a hidden asteroid base

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hidden dwelling

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Forgotten Robots

Impossible Pathway

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Komojo posted:

Forgotten Robots

Impossible Pathway

Fantastic work!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Yeah, those are great, good job! How did you do the tracks?

Fart Simpson how the heck did you get geometry all gnarled like that? Looks sick.

Also I'm trying to improve my asteroid but no matter what I do it always looks like a little thunderbirds model...is there a trick to making stuff look big? (asking for a friend etc lol)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

Fart Simpson how the heck did you get geometry all gnarled like that? Looks sick.

Also I'm trying to improve my asteroid but no matter what I do it always looks like a little thunderbirds model...is there a trick to making stuff look big? (asking for a friend etc lol)

yeah the trick is long focal distance on your camera

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think my hidden dwelling was a little too dark and needed some highlights. so ive touched it up a bit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

blend file is here: https://mega.nz/file/9IxDxBYC#ybU0H-SsellfNFJCsuv9dy6KQ4Puqnak6MbyktSV2CE

but basically to get that look, i just used a noise texture with low scale to displace everything along the normals, but specifically didn't displace things pointing "up" as much, the idea being that a walked path should be smoother. then i layered on another displacement with higher scale for the fine details using the same trick. i wanted to make it look like the walls had been scratched and dug out, but to get that look i ended up needing a lot more geometry and this was already like 10 million vertices lol

the other thing i did was the walls themselves were made as a hexagon (curve circle with 6 points). but i scaled out the hexagon to make it wider and then used more distortion on the base shape of the hexagon profile ot make it feel more lopsided and uneven. this actually worked great and everything looked way better after i did this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

Forgotten Robots

Impossible Pathway

man those robots are awesome. really nice composition and lighting too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah the trick is long focal distance on your camera

i watched this video a long time ago and it made sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXO-82Eodo

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Futuristic Garden done.

I don't think I can get these into legible screenshots anymore.
Started with a grid, deleted everything but the vertices, extruded the hell out of those at lightly randomized vectors, converted to curves, adjusted radius according to length, converted back to mesh to flesh them out.
Used a boolean to cut holes in the floor. Extruded circles for the rings. The doorway is literally just a plane with an emission shader on it lol. There's nothing around the metal floor with the trees, it's just a black void.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 21, 2022

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

I had to search for how to recreate the curve modifier behavior in the geometry nodes. I found this solution and implemented it in my scene:

I can kind of understand what's going on there but it's pretty convoluted and it would be nice if they just had a "curve modifier" node.

The input to the curve group is just a series of cubes repeated using mesh line -> instances on points.

For the curves themselves, I actually typed the coordinates in by hand:

I was challenging myself to do everything in the geometry nodes (except for the lighting.) Here's what the whole scene looked like for Forgotten Robots:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

:yossame:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Futuristic Garden done.

Started with a grid, deleted everything but the vertices, extruded the hell out of those at lightly randomized vectors, converted to curves, adjusted radius according to length, converted back to mesh to flesh them out.
Used a boolean to cut holes in the floor. Extruded circles for the rings. The doorway is literally just a plane with an emission shader on it lol. There's nothing around the metal floor with the trees, it's just a black void.

looks really good. btw i find it might be easier in your first step to make the grid, then just do a "mesh to points" node and then instance a curve line on each point and then realize the instances. i think working as much as possible in curveland tends to be easier idk.

i like the doorway idea lol, especially for those background elements that are blown out or dark you can cheat a hell of a lot and it will still look good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

I had to search for how to recreate the curve modifier behavior in the geometry nodes. I found this solution and implemented it in my scene:

I can kind of understand what's going on there but it's pretty convoluted and it would be nice if they just had a "curve modifier" node.

The input to the curve group is just a series of cubes repeated using mesh line -> instances on points.

I was challenging myself to do everything in the geometry nodes (except for the lighting.) Here's what the whole scene looked like for Forgotten Robots:

that curve modifier thing is a neat trick. i guess the benefit over a curve modifier node is maybe that you can alter the behavior as you see fit? although yes it would be nice if it was just built in. i think theyre going to be ultimately adding a lot more nodes like this.

at the recent blender conference there was a whole 45 minute talk about adding a bevel node and how it ended up being way more difficult than they thought (should be in 3.5 i think they said)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

looks really good. btw i find it might be easier in your first step to make the grid, then just do a "mesh to points" node and then instance a curve line on each point and then realize the instances. i think working as much as possible in curveland tends to be easier idk.

i like the doorway idea lol, especially for those background elements that are blown out or dark you can cheat a hell of a lot and it will still look good

Is there an easy way to extrude a curve?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Is there an easy way to extrude a curve?

why do you need to extrude it? you just set the endpoints

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok last one. critical mistake is rendering with really low light and cranking up exposure. this needed 8096 samples with 256 light bounces in every cateogry and clamping disabled to look like this. took like an hour to render out a test frame. much better to render too bright and drop exposure lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

blend file is here: https://mega.nz/file/9IxDxBYC#ybU0H-SsellfNFJCsuv9dy6KQ4Puqnak6MbyktSV2CE

but basically to get that look, i just used a noise texture with low scale to displace everything along the normals, but specifically didn't displace things pointing "up" as much, the idea being that a walked path should be smoother. then i layered on another displacement with higher scale for the fine details using the same trick. i wanted to make it look like the walls had been scratched and dug out, but to get that look i ended up needing a lot more geometry and this was already like 10 million vertices lol

the other thing i did was the walls themselves were made as a hexagon (curve circle with 6 points). but i scaled out the hexagon to make it wider and then used more distortion on the base shape of the hexagon profile ot make it feel more lopsided and uneven. this actually worked great and everything looked way better after i did this

btw heres some low sample noisy images but you can see the process i outlined here. this is without and of the distortion at all:

and this adds the fine detail, high scale noise along the normal:

then adding the low scale noise, but still using just the flat hexagon profile:

everything in the shape you dont see here is because of distorting the hexagon profile itself. i think distorting the profile curve had a large impact on the gnarliness

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

ok last one. critical mistake is rendering with really low light and cranking up exposure. this needed 8096 samples with 256 light bounces in every cateogry and clamping disabled to look like this. took like an hour to render out a test frame. much better to render too bright and drop exposure lol

I like this version much better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FalseNegative posted:

I like this version much better

yeah i rendered the first one at midnight in a completely dark room and it seemed cool. and when i looked at it in the morning with actual light in the room i realized it was waaay too dark and today i worked on cleaning that up basically

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Hidden Dwelling

can you post the blend file for this? i want to take a look at it

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Komojo posted:

You might have been able to do that with a clever bit of getting points from a mesh and indexing into it - that way you can adjust where the wheels are and the tracks automatically follow. I do something similar on my asteroid file up top so I can change the shape of the asteroid and where the pipes go but everything still links together.

fart simpson posted:

that curve modifier thing is a neat trick. i guess the benefit over a curve modifier node is maybe that you can alter the behavior as you see fit? although yes it would be nice if it was just built in. i think theyre going to be ultimately adding a lot more nodes like this.

at the recent blender conference there was a whole 45 minute talk about adding a bevel node and how it ended up being way more difficult than they thought (should be in 3.5 i think they said)
have you got a link? I'd be interested in hearing about why it was so difficult. You can sort of approximate a bevel with extrude->scale-elements but it can be glitchy.

fart simpson posted:

can you post the blend file for this? i want to take a look at it
Sure https://www.mediafire.com/file/juzexe37os9ej7r/day19-20.blend.zip/file

Happy to effort post about it if you want an explanation

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 21, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

You might have been able to do that with a clever bit of getting points from a mesh and indexing into it - that way you can adjust where the wheels are and the tracks automatically follow. I do something similar on my asteroid file up top so I can change the shape of the asteroid and where the pipes go but everything still links together.

have you got a link? I'd be interested in hearing about why it was so difficult. You can sort of approximate a bevel with extrude->scale-elements but it can be glitchy.

Sure https://www.mediafire.com/file/juzexe37os9ej7r/day19-20.blend.zip/file

Happy to effort post about it if you want an explanation

its exactly those glitches that make it hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dpUQ57Xv8&t=2064s

i hope you dont mind but i took a look at your file and tried to make it look more real to scale or something, like what you were asking about. just doing a few small changes i think gets it toward that path, you can play around with it to see if theres more you can think of it you want.

basically what i did was
1. increase the exposure and contrast so the bright areas are much brighter and the shadows darker. this instantly looked more "real" to me because real space pictures are blown out and dark to an extreme
2. i put 1 more layer of fine detail noise on the asteroid to give it some little tiny shadows everywhere. i think layering noise like this can be really powerful for getting both large scale structures and also fine detail that the camera can barely pick up on. it gives a sense that theres more there if the camera was good enough to capture it all
3. added noise to the rubble too for the same reason
4. moved the camera really far back and used a long focal length with some depth of field the blurriness helps sell it because only computer renders are perfectly sharp
5. added a fog glow & dispersion effects in the compositor to make it seem just a tiny bit more like a real camera. also overlaid some noise to give it some "grain"

that kind of stuff is like a starting point of where i'd look to make it look huge instead of like a toy. also had to disable the stars because the depth of field made them blurry. you could composite stars back in later i guess

file with the changes i made is here if you want to see
https://mega.nz/file/dc4m2YbT#FUdnmJZqAXwNzRmK3YflIAVD-uebDJFa6zMFhmxUXE0

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if i think about it more, i think you are basically almost there already you just want some harder shadows of varying sizes and some "camera imperfections". irl large scale objects tend to cast pretty hard shadows, when you look from far away. the shadows being soft and everything being in focus at the same time makes it look like a small object

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just made a simple node based inverse kinematics rig for a humanoid robot lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looks like it’s
doing a dance

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Cool, ill take a look

quote:

i hope you dont mind but i took a look at your file and tried to make it look more real to scale or something
thats rad as hell, totally changes the perceived scale of it all. Was the additional noise on the asteroid surface actual displacement or just bump mapping?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actual displacement. i didnt even need to increase the subdiv steps, i left it at 4 just like you had already. all i did was add in one more set position with one more noise texture, but changed the settings so it would be tiny changes that look "rough"

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

its exactly those glitches that make it hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dpUQ57Xv8&t=2064s

i hope you dont mind but i took a look at your file and tried to make it look more real to scale or something, like what you were asking about. just doing a few small changes i think gets it toward that path, you can play around with it to see if theres more you can think of it you want.

basically what i did was
1. increase the exposure and contrast so the bright areas are much brighter and the shadows darker. this instantly looked more "real" to me because real space pictures are blown out and dark to an extreme
2. i put 1 more layer of fine detail noise on the asteroid to give it some little tiny shadows everywhere. i think layering noise like this can be really powerful for getting both large scale structures and also fine detail that the camera can barely pick up on. it gives a sense that theres more there if the camera was good enough to capture it all
3. added noise to the rubble too for the same reason
4. moved the camera really far back and used a long focal length with some depth of field the blurriness helps sell it because only computer renders are perfectly sharp
5. added a fog glow & dispersion effects in the compositor to make it seem just a tiny bit more like a real camera. also overlaid some noise to give it some "grain"

that kind of stuff is like a starting point of where i'd look to make it look huge instead of like a toy. also had to disable the stars because the depth of field made them blurry. you could composite stars back in later i guess

file with the changes i made is here if you want to see
https://mega.nz/file/dc4m2YbT#FUdnmJZqAXwNzRmK3YflIAVD-uebDJFa6zMFhmxUXE0

Dang that made quite the difference!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
25 / 26 - Ominous Skies

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FalseNegative posted:

25 / 26 - Ominous Skies

sick

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Thanks! 90% of the work for this scene was done in the compositor panel with composition nodes!

Here they are if anyone's curious, with the raw render pre-composition in the viewport.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Impossible Paths

Not very original but was fun making things line up and figuring out a few tricks to get the shadows etc working right

A slightly better perspective...

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 24, 2022

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

toiletbrush posted:

Impossible Paths

Not very original but was fun making things line up and figuring out a few tricks to get the shadows etc working right

This is positively goddamned gorgeous.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FalseNegative posted:

25 / 26 - Ominous Skies

nice bloom/glare

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Impossible Paths

very nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ive been really busy this week so im still stuck on forgotten robots. but i managed to make a little robot man and use geometry nodes to make a crappy little inverse kinematics rig so i can pose him

and using sine & cosine with the z value max 0 i was able to make him run a stupid little run animation
https://i.imgur.com/4h84d9U.mp4

but i still dont have a scene for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Impossible Paths

the texturing and colors on this are on point btw. are the decals on the boxes a bump map or actual geometry?