Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Well, I mean, by this point it's pretty obvious that she/they did it. So, the only mystery is which of them did it? And why?

Which of them was left in the last videos? Hannah or Eve? Because it'd be the other one, right? Killed Simon, and then left the other one holding the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

As far as I can tell it's Eve in in the last interview, that said why would someone so focused on being exactly the same as their twin do something like get a tattoo the other doesn't have?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Deathwind posted:

As far as I can tell it's Eve in in the last interview, that said why would someone so focused on being exactly the same as their twin do something like get a tattoo the other doesn't have?

"My husband's dead! But if we look the same we won't be able to be tried for murder."

"RIP to ur husband but im different"

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Quackles posted:

"My husband's dead! But if we look the same we won't be able to be tried for murder."

"RIP to ur husband but im different"

Do we know it's recent?

Also who said it wasn't Eve who killed him?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I guess the way I view it is I'm not in a hurry since I planning on getting to everything eventually. I have been spending more time on relationships than on the actual event, but I think it's still important as to motive, understanding the timeline of who these people are - from my POV that's just as much a part of the story :shrug:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 20

'Carl' is my next search - checking off our latest name is as good as anything I suppose. We have three earlier mentions to work through.

All from July 1st. It seems Carl didn't come up in any of the earlier interviews.

Shaking her head and continuing to laugh.

Pause after 'poo poo', then nods and says 'but he was sexy' a little quieter.

Second clip, shortly afterwards:

Loudly.

Hesitates a bit both before and after 'older'.

Emphasis on 'really'.

Laughing here.

'Us', not 'me'.

A bit softer and more reflective from here through the rest of the clip.

Third clip begins just a few seconds later:

Emphasis on 'then', a pause before 'Simon'.

That was relatively boring. There's a lot to be said for boring.

We'll see about this mysterious tattoo next time. The first clip was a long while ago, but she was asked if Simon had any tattoos and said no. It appears she talked about hers twice.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 82/271, 30.3%

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Strategic Sage posted:

That was relatively boring. There's a lot to be said for boring.

Uh, given the update previous to this one, yeah. I'm OK with a bit of boring.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

This is a bit pop-culture-y, but I heard that the submissive twin would refer to themselves as "us" or "we". Don't know if that's true in real life or not though.

It's a funny slip though. This is chronologically before she admits that there were two of them, right?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

painedforever posted:

It's a funny slip though. This is chronologically before she admits that there were two of them, right?

As far as we know to this point, yes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

painedforever posted:

If pressed, she could probably claim she meant "us" as in "this relationship between me and him". It's still weird, but not necessarily too revealing.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
So, I'm pretty well convinced that this is a case of DiD; their whole twisted relationship makes a lot more sense if they're literally sharing a body, but aren't necessarily aware of that fact. It also might explain how odd these interviews have been, if what they're trying to determine is which personality killed Simon, but they know it was one of the two.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ZCKaiser posted:

So, I'm pretty well convinced that this is a case of DiD; their whole twisted relationship makes a lot more sense if they're literally sharing a body, but aren't necessarily aware of that fact. It also might explain how odd these interviews have been, if what they're trying to determine is which personality killed Simon, but they know it was one of the two.

It's the most obvious answer, but they keep talking about how they looked different at some point. Might just be delusions, but still.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Doesn't one of them have a tattoo, though?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

One does have a tattoo, and the other does not. A number of the outfits have longer sleeves but enough don't that we've seen her both with and without the tattoo. There's also the bruise bit.

ZCKaiser posted:

So, I'm pretty well convinced that this is a case of DiD; their whole twisted relationship makes a lot more sense if they're literally sharing a body, but aren't necessarily aware of that fact.

This is one of the main fan theories, but I'm leaning towards them being actual twins because of the above. Seems harder to explain the physical differences away.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The tattoo is removable, and the actual reason why they need to go to the bathroom to switch.

Alternatively, this is a retelling of the Heroes series with magically appearing tattoos that ended up being completely unrelated to what was actually going on. Hannah and Eve will die towards the middle of the game and be replaced by a third person looking like them who has nothing to do with their story.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

Alternatively, this is a retelling of the Heroes series with magically appearing tattoos that ended up being completely unrelated to what was actually going on. Hannah and Eve will die towards the middle of the game and be replaced by a third person looking like them who has nothing to do with their story.

I doubt that this is what's going on because we've already seen the last clip and the recordings are from about 2 decades prior.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Cloacamazing! posted:

I like this theory because of how outlandish it is.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 21

This whole clip is a bit on the softer side.

If true, Eve is the one with the tattoo then?

Quietly.

If I understand this correctly, she was living with Hannah + Simon at some point, but they had a falling-out and became estranged, so Eve was living on her own? Last clip is longer, beginning four seconds later.

Kind of a strange gesture here, briefly putting her hands on the table. Feels forced to me.

Focus on the end of the phrase.

Looking down, shaking her head a bit.

Pauses before and after 'But'

Nods slightly here. Voice grows softer at the end of this, and through most of the rest of the clip.

This answers the question of whether Simon ever knew there were two of them; not early on, at the very least. New theory: Eve never lived with Hannah + Simon, she moved out of wherever she was staying around the time they moved back into Hannah's parents house, and went off on her own.

Laughing a bit at the end.

'amazing' is drawn out and emphasized.

This seems to be years later in the marriage - Simon randomly happens upon Eve in the bar and, what, has an affair with her, then dies due to one of them killing him because one or the other wasn't willing to 'share' him?

Longer pause before this. Still softly spoken, almost hushed.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 85/271, 31.4%

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
"Just gonna start an affair with my wife's identical twin, great idea!"

Everybody in this story makes the most amazing decisions.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
To be fair, it's not like he knew she was her identical twin. I mean, the conceit that he doesn't know about her because she's been that good at hiding her existence is already pretty fantastical, but let's take that at face value for a moment.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I’m not sure that ‘let’s have an affair with this woman that looks like my wife’ is any better.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

"Let's have an affair!"

"Let's have an affair with someone who turns out to be my wife!"

"Let's have an affair with someone who turns out to be my wife's twin sister!"

"Let's have an affair with someone who turns out to be my wife's... Schroedinger twin sister/split personality who either can make tattoos and bruises disappear on a whim or has been living with us in the attic for years without any sort of notice??"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

"Let's have an affair with someone who turns out to be my wife's... Schroedinger twin sister/split personality who either can make tattoos and bruises disappear on a whim or has been living with us in the attic for years without any sort of notice??"

Is this Jane Eyre? :pigeon:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

"Let's have an affair!"

I think you're missing "Let's have an affair with someone who looks exactly like my wife!" as step 2 up there, but otherwise good list.

I do have a question though. What is the goal of this game? I'm not looking for spoilers, in case my question is pointing that way. We know there's a murder, and it's basically between 2 suspects. Presumably uncovering the correct videos will have us determine whether the person who did it is Eve or Hannah or if Eve actually exists. But that could potentially happen if we stumble across the right keywords. We've seen the 'last' video, chronologically, if the red and green chart is to be believed. Is there some kind of "Here's the evidence, who did the deed?" choice at the end? Is there a win state for this game or is it more small, interactive, independent, one-woman film?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think there's a win state. There's just a state when you decide to stop trying to find more videos.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown is correct. You just keep looking for more videos until you've decided it's too hard to find new ones and/or you've learned everything you care to.

In this thread, the goal is find every.single.one. We'll see how that works out.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

"Let's have an affair!"

I think the maximally charitable thought process Simon could have at this point is:
"Isn't that Hannah?"

"Okay, she's pretending she doesn't know me, is this some game she wants to play? Sure, I'll play, sounds like a fun game."

"Wow, Hannah is really good at this game, I wonder what would happen if I suggested we had an affair, behind 'her' back."

"Oh, my, God, she's going for it! I never knew Hannah was into such kinky poo poo! I get to fulfill my hot twin threesome fantasy but I'm not actually cheating on anybody! I love my wife!"

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

dotchan posted:

I think the maximally charitable thought process Simon could have at this point is:
"Isn't that Hannah?"

"Okay, she's pretending she doesn't know me, is this some game she wants to play? Sure, I'll play, sounds like a fun game."

"Wow, Hannah is really good at this game, I wonder what would happen if I suggested we had an affair, behind 'her' back."

"Oh, my, God, she's going for it! I never knew Hannah was into such kinky poo poo! I get to fulfill my hot twin threesome fantasy but I'm not actually cheating on anybody! I love my wife!"

The tattoo disproves this, Eve has it and his wife doesn't.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Strategic Sage posted:

In this thread, the goal is find every.single.one. We'll see how that works out.

That's going to be tough. As I recall, some of them (which will be left after we get the whole story) are like, really odd to get? They only cover a few seconds or some junk.

Deathwind posted:

The tattoo disproves this, Eve has it and his wife doesn't.

Wow, a temp tattoo! That's kinda hot.

Is it easy to tell the difference between a temp tattoo and a real one?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Or she could've been wearing sleeves that day....

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I lean toward DID being the more logical option because it kind of beggars belief to hide an entire child across the street. One thing that speaks against it is the 'Glasgow' alibi, suggesting that indeed there are two and one of them was not present.

As for 'win state' of the game, we also might hope to find out more about why this is being investigated in 2022 (I don't mean the Let's Play, I mean the game being set in 2022).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 7, 2023

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Kangra posted:

As for 'win state' of the game, we also might hope to find out more about why this is being investigated in 2022 (I don't mean the Let's Play, I mean the game being set in 2022).

I think that I know the answer (there have been clues) but I won't ruin it for anyone else.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This game does have a 'win state' in the case that there's a clear point where it rolls credits.

While Hannah/Eve IRL is played by a single actress I have never really found the DID explanation appealing. "Hannah has a twin named Eve" feels like it's meant to be the real revelation and things flow smoother to take that fact at face value.

It's a bit fairy-tale-like/contrived but that's kinda the mood of the game. Simon meeting Eve is Prince and the Pauper, sort of.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I only now looked up the actress, turns up she's a musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FncefTGO6Ck

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 22

I wasn't sure if they would actually use the word itself, but apparently they did.

That was a fun four seconds. Next clip: by the tattoo standard, this was Hannah and the rest on this topic is from Eve.

Pauses, taps the table rapidly with a finger after 'here'.

Emphasizing each word as she speaks. Sighs/inhales loudly afterwards.

Pretty much goes without saying that I don't believe a word of this denial, but she's doing it pretty convincingly.

Quietly, hushed towards the end.

Focus on 'obsessed'.

Huffs before speaking, then an air of disgust here in her tone.

I would have bought all of this maybe a dozen sessions ago. Now I feel like dragging out a tiny finger violin. There's about five seconds between this clip and the next.

Nodding as she listens and begins talking.

Shakes her head briefly after this.

More loudly, gradually increasing in volume from here to the end of the clip. By the end of it she is practically shouting.

It was a bit stunning to me the first time I heard it, as I'm not used to her being verbally combative in this way.

This and the next image run together as part of the same thought. The indignance and volume reaches it's apex here.

Are you sure you didn't just love the idea of restoring 'oneness with Hannah' or somesuch?

I try switching tacks a bit here. 'time of death' returns nothing, but removing the 'of' gives one clip from the final July 3rd interview. It's a long one, over a minute, so I'll wait until the next session to get into that.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 88/271, 32.5%

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Ok, Hannah is infertile and Eve is pregnant...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hannah's the one up there, right? And Eve is the second one, with the really obvious tattoo.

I think we need a list of who does what, right?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

painedforever posted:

Hannah's the one up there, right? And Eve is the second one, with the really obvious tattoo.

The first one's sleeves are covering the area where Eve's tattoo is pretty well. We can't really be sure that's Hannah.

e: This sort of thing more than anything else would probably gently caress the cops up hard. It looks fine on first blush, but then you sic a defense attorney on the evidence presented....

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haven't both Hannah and Eve now claimed to be pregnant at the time of Simon's death? I could swear we saw something with Hannah talking about it as a surprise because she'd been told she was infertile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

painedforever posted:

antivehicular posted:

I could swear we saw something with Hannah talking about it as a surprise because she'd been told she was infertile.

We don't just need a list, we need a decoder ring. antivehicular is correct, but then you get into what's true and what's just the story you need to present because your/her/their/whoever's alibi is the trip to Glasgow where they checked on the pregnancy at the hospital.

I don't think the first clip has sleeves going down as far as the tattoo. But again, can't rule out it being temporary or whatever. I don't think it is, but so much of this I don't really know.

I think the first clip is Hannah and the other one is Eve. I think Hannah is infertile and doesn't have a tattoo; Eve is pregnant and she does. Would I bet anything serious on it? Nope.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 12, 2023