Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

https://twitter.com/panasonicdx4500/status/1584657663782457344

Ah, the grand finale of the 2022 season. National League vs American League. Chaos vs Order. Phillies vs Astros. How the hell did we get here?

The Well Oiled Machine: The Houston Astros

There's no surprise that it's Houston again at the World Series. It's their third time in 4 years. They dominated the AL West, broke hearts in Seattle, and reminded New York to be careful of what they wish for. They are undefeated in this postseason, and all it took was just some routine maintenance and the resurgence of Justin Verlander. It's just like the personification of the ruling order in the safe, sequestered cities in the YA dystopian novels I like to read don't judge. Prim, proper, everything in perfect order with just a hint of a tainted background. Wait, why do I hear drums in the distance?

Blood for the Blood God: The Philadelphia Phillies

If Houston represents everything constant that is in baseball, Philadelphia represents everything that is not. The Phillies were so god awful at the beginning of the year to where they fired their manager at the time, Joe Girardi. The summer gave them a bit of a fire in their butts to keep an even pace of mediocracy, but then a skid of getting swept right at the end of the year just about knocked them out of contention. However, an implosion from Milwaukee gave the Phillies that chance. And a single chance into the postseason is all that it takes. Three rides into the sunset of destiny for St Louis? Philly says NAY. Back to back rings for Atlanta? Philly slam the door in their faces. San Diego proving that they're the better California team? Philly says they have an even bigger grudge to prove and its name is 2011. Everyone said that the Phillies didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, and now all of them are sitting on the losers couch eating a big slice of humble pie.

With all of that in mind, we are sure to have one hell of a fight either way. Let's take a look at the final schedule of 2022.

:frogsiren:WORLD SERIES SCHEDULE:frogsiren:
  • GAME ONE
    Friday, Oct. 28
    PHI @ HOU, 8:03pm EST., FOX
  • GAME TWO
    Saturday, Oct. 29
    PHI @ HOU, 8:03pm EST, FOX
  • GAME THREE
    Monday, Oct. 31
    HOU @ PHI, 8:03pm EST, FOX
  • GAME FOUR
    Tuesday, Nov. 1
  • GAME FIVE (if necessary)
    Wednesday, Nov. 2
  • GAME SIX (if necessary)
    Friday, Nov. 4
  • GAME SEVEN (if necessary)
    Saturday, Nov. 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
go tacos

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Hail Satan
Phillies in three

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No taco poll, smh

e: I'm gonna make my pick Tucker. McCormick would never try with two outs and prevent the lineup from turning over, Pena isn't gonna open up first base with Yordan batting, Altuve is the only other Astros possibility. I know Realmuto behind the plate and all, but Maldy is also a bad man behind the plate

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 29, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Go Tacos

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let's go the Phillies and very specifically Kyle Schwarber

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

GO PHILS

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It took 2 minutes into the broadcast for A-Rod to bring up Rocky

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/NickFrancona/status/1586130216543752192

I assume MLB staff have to run things through of gauntlet of 80-plus editors

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hoping for that elusive good WS Verlander start

He's done it twice!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Why are we watching a video package on NASA instead of a summary of Justin Verlander's health history and how he's performed this year against lineups similar to Philly?

You do eventually talk about baseball on your uh baseball broadcast, yes?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was watching the MLB stream on youtube when they were showing BP and such and they spent most of the time talking about steals and tacos. They also spent a little time talking about how the teams did against each other in the regular season which is..... hilariously pointless because the game the Phillies won the Astros were playing for nothing while the Phillies were trying to clinch their spot, and the games the Astros won the Phillies had clinched their spot and were playing for nothing while the Astros were pitching their #s 1 and 2 starters

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How would the Phillies beating the Astros be the biggest upset ever Ken Rosenthal? The Braves and Nationals did this over the past 3 years.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Great Shadow of the Colossus shoop there in the OP.

Go Stros!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Popete posted:

How would the Phillies beating the Astros be the biggest upset ever Ken Rosenthal? The Braves and Nationals did this over the past 3 years.

Technically the win differential is bigger this year than either of those, but who cares

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Paul Wall

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Mets were eliminated weeks ago, hilariously. Do we still have to sit through ads starring Lindor?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Also 2001 was surely a bigger upset

2003 as well, and maybe 2006

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Houston will be on an 8-game single postseason win streak if they win tonight. Is that a record?

The 76 Reds only needed 7 games to win it all

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Great Shadow of the Colossus shoop there in the OP.

Go Stros!

I swear, making photoshop baseball shitposts has been my favorite part of the postseason.

Also go Phillies because I crave the memes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

Houston will be on an 8-game single postseason win streak if they win tonight. Is that a record?

The 76 Reds only needed 7 games to win it all

2004 red sox swept the WS after coming back from 3-0 so at the very best it would be a tie

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Me during the preseason - "what the gently caress, it's like 6 DHs, are they just going to score 8 runs a game because they can't play defense?"
Me now - "6 DHs and hoagie sales so Schwarber mashes constantly is 1000 IQ"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/PanasonicDX4500/status/1586126450763014145

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I love the starting lineups announcements so much, every game should do this.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Intruder posted:

2004 red sox swept the WS after coming back from 3-0 so at the very best it would be a tie

Nevermind I found it, royals in 2015 won 8 in a row

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

can't believe this is happening. happy to be here

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

Nevermind I found it, royals in 2015 won 8 in a row

So it would be a three way tie because 2004 Red Sox also won 8 in a row (the aforementioned 3-0 comeback with 4 in a row against the Yankees, then sweeping the Cardinals)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sounds like there's a decent number of phillies fans there

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Intruder posted:

So it would be a three way tie because 2004 Red Sox also won 8 in a row (the aforementioned 3-0 comeback with 4 in a row against the Yankees, then sweeping the Cardinals)

*2014 and yeah for some reason that wasn’t listed, weird oversight for mlb.com lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was a very nice op op

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Go the mother loving Astros

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm going to be putting probably an indordinate amount of weight on Verlander's first inning given his playoff history

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Still waiting for the amazing Orbit vs Phanatic face off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wow, good guy Mancini getting a start

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Nationals won 93 games :colbert:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Go stros

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

I just cannot understand Dusty continuing to put Yordan in LF and starting Mancini or Diaz at DH. You could have a much stronger defensive outfield with the same amount of hitting (none) by starting Meyers or Dubon and then you don't have to take Yordan out of the game in the 9th if you have a one or two run lead

e: oh I guess Meyers didn't make the roster. So Dubon then. Or start Hensley at DH. FFS Mancini is just broken right now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin’s own Eric Burton! :neckbeard:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is this guy getting the lyrics wrong or am i insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Red posted:

Yeah LF is pretty easy at MMP with the short porch so it's less risky putting Yordan out there. Plus Mancini is built to hit here.