Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Here we go again! Russell T Davies is back at the helm of Doctor Who, and what's this? David Tennant is back too? Why, it's a small subset of fans' dream come true! After Chris Chibnall's run, frankly, anything would have to be better. Now we wait for...hold up, November 2023? You're telling me that, after a calendar year with only three new episodes, I have to wait OVER A YEAR for three (probably four) more episodes? What is this, Sherlock? Well, it could be worse.

(Actually, it is much, much worse.)

Now, as we wait for the Doctor to return to our television computer screens, let us sit and reflect on Doctor Who as it approaches its 59th Anniversary, because let's face it - reflection is all we've got now.

The previous thread can be found here. Now, the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
We have a designated spoiler thread that should be getting some traction now with actual leaks coming out. If you think it's a spoiler, don't post it in this thread!

WHERE DO I START?
You know what? I don't know. We're in a weird spot between showrunners, and it's hard to say where to start from in the current series. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
BritBox is the place to watch almost every episode of the original series. In addition, you're in luck if you're an American, as you can watch the original run of Doctor Who on honest-to-goodness TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations)!

For the current run (for now):

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi Channel
Australia - ABC TV Plus (first run), ABC ME

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Virgin TV Go
USA - Max
Canada - Crave
Australia - ABC iView, Stan, BritBox

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE ALL-NEW GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally THOUSANDS of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. In previous threads, I would pour over all the individual lines and describe them. With the great restructure of Big Finish lines, though, I have to adapt. So, here are some bullet points:

-Doctors 1-12 have their own individual lines now, although obviously the first three Doctors are not played by Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee. Here's a handy guide: if it's current series Doctor Who, "Adventures" means it's the actual actors, while "Chronicles" means it's not.
-The Companion Chronicles & the Early Adventures generally do not feature the Doctor, and some of them are essentially audiobooks with sound effects. Check the cast list if you want to know which is which.
-If you have ever asked "what about <random character x>?", boy are you in luck! There are so many spin-offs featuring characters both familiar and unfamiliar that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a series that makes you say "THEY got a series?" Some are good, some are bad, most are unremarkable.
-Everyone has a taste, so don't rely on other people's opinions. For example, I don't care for or about Charlotte Pollard and her spin-off, but some people do! Some crazy people enjoy the story Nekromanteia - you do you!

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Someone asked what Torchwood was, which led to...

Stormageddon posted:

Torchwood? More like Crotchwood.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1586330271141564416

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’ve redecorated! I don’t like it. :mad:

Well you need to change the ‘Where can I watch?’ Section.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

You’ve redecorated! I don’t like it. :mad:

Well you need to change the ‘Where can I watch?’ Section.

I put a (for now) on it, because it's accurate....for now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Clara is the best companion, also look forward to Russell's return.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you don't want to read it!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs - May give weird 404 warnings or warnings about "erotic imagery" (Pertwee eating a sandwich?), will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 25, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Continueing discussion from previous regeneration of this thread:

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think there are any bad episodes in season 4. (Unless you count Voyage of the Damned as part of that season).

You know, I'd actually not argue with that, or at least not too strenuously! Wikipedia reckons Voyage of the Damned does belong with that season, but I personally always kind of associate specials with the season before them more than the season after them, and wikipedia is essentially just Some rear end in a top hat we dont need to listen to. I will say I found The Unicorn and The Wasp to be really disappointing, but I'd need to rewatch it to remember if its because its actually bad or if its just a bit meh and I didnt like it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Unicorn and the Wasp is pretty mediocre apart from the incredible charades scene, which does a LOT of heavy lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54gML6eTCk

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SiKboy posted:

Continueing discussion from previous regeneration of this thread:

You know, I'd actually not argue with that, or at least not too strenuously! Wikipedia reckons Voyage of the Damned does belong with that season, but I personally always kind of associate specials with the season before them more than the season after them, and wikipedia is essentially just Some rear end in a top hat we dont need to listen to. I will say I found The Unicorn and The Wasp to be really disappointing, but I'd need to rewatch it to remember if its because its actually bad or if its just a bit meh and I didnt like it.

I think their logic comes from the fact that the specials are usually bundled in with the season that follows them on DVD releases and the like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Unicorn and the Wasp isn't great but if it's the worst episode in a season it's a pretty good season.

Unlike Flux, which I recently finished watching. The finale ended up better than I expected, partly because my expectations were very low and partly because it jettisoned the Timeless Child plotline and just had a bunch of dumb action.

As a whole season it might be my favourite of Chibnall's era, which should be read as a condemnation of the others than as actual praise.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I think their logic comes from the fact that the specials are usually bundled in with the season that follows them on DVD releases and the like.

If I know wikipedia, and I absolutely dont, there are probably pages and pages of arguement somewhere between a handful of people who reverted changes about this one minor issue back and forth multiple times a day for years before the rest of the editors threw up their hands and laid down a ruling about it.

Personally I'd be more inclined to "which seasons production budget did they come out of?" rather than the DVD release, but I dont if that information is available or not. And in any case, I'm more basing my opinion on gut feeling than anything else. A lot of the seasonal specials feel more like coda to the previous season than they do a preamble to the next one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Iplayer has specials as part of the season before them, so Christmas Invasion is series 1, Voyage is series 3, and the final Tennant specials are listed at the end of series 4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
For me they were at the end of the year so they were at the end of the season :shrug:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
From the previous thread:

Random Stranger posted:

The way it worked is during one of the regenerations, the Doctor regenerated into two Doctors. That's what happens when Time Lords are cut in half.

There, now I've fixed all of the continuity problems.
I'm now imagining the Doctor having a Final Destination death, like the guy who gets sliced in half by a wire fence in FD2.

Don't fly the TARDIS behind a log truck, is what I'm saying.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Worth mentioning that Paul McGann is still a handsome bastard.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish we had more multi-Doctor EPs that weren't specials.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I want to preface this post by saying I'm not scolding anyone or calling anybody out. When I say that I don't know what to do with what I'm about to write, I mean it.

I can see the queerbaiting reading of Power of the Doctor becoming a "thing," and I have mixed feelings. Maybe Chibnall fully thought through what he was doing, and I wish I could believe that, but he's been inconsistent in writing Thirteen's emotional openness and awkwardness throughout the run. Being critical of him for his handling is entirely fair, and from a Doyleist perspective, "queerbaiting" may be an accurate term. Personally, I'm more inclined to suspect that this is Chibnall rebuking RTD for Ten/Rose in much the same way Moffat rebuked RTD for Donna's memory wipe, but that doesn't exactly make him look any better.

From a Watsonian perspective, though, I think the matter is more complex. Thirteen is pretty open and straightforward when she talks with Yaz about things in the specials. And while she's certainly queer and she certainly has feelings for Yaz, at the same time, her expressed preferences (which match with some of her other incarnations) are much closer to asexual than anything else.

So we have a 'ship where one partner identifies as somewhere in the bi/queer/gay part of the spectrum, and the other partner identifies as ace. Suggesting that the ace partner and the queer partner should have hugged or kissed or displayed some form of sexual attraction before parting at the end of Power of the Doctor sounds to me like it's disrespecting the very clear "no" that the Doctor expressed. The ending and the performances we got on screen definitely communicate the love between these two people, and I think Yaz's willingness to go without a token of physical affection can be read as part of that expression even if the writer may have been completely oblivious to the nuances of what he was writing.

Going after Chibnall for queerbaiting therefore seems entirely fair to me, but I think Yaz's behavior was exemplary in this situation and that the Doctor's preferences are equally worthy of respect. At least within the fiction, I have no doubt from the performances about how Yaz and the Doctor feel about one another, and am delighted by Yaz's decision not to ask for physical affection from the Doctor. It would have been so easy to do otherwise, even an unscripted hug, and while the refusal leaves unresolved tension behind, the assumption that it must be sexual tension for both of them threatens to erase the ace aspects of the Doctor, aspects that have been around for a long time and which were far more respected in the old show than the new one (even if the showrunners didn't recognize or care about asexuality as a human preference at all).

It's troubling, because I don't want to be policing people's language ITT or making anyone feel bad or trying to pit one aspect of queerness against another. But after seeing this, I can't unsee it, so I'm offering it to others here as food for thought.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From the last thread:

Cleretic posted:

I've got a friend who did, and while he's coming back around now, it was for the sort of simple, understandable reason I could never fully refute: just that he likes Doctor Who for being at its core a friendly show about a friendly person, and he didn't think that felt like what he'd get from Peter Capaldi.

I can never argue that, because he was absolutely right. Capaldi's a wonderful, friendly man in real life, but you don't hire him to play a nice guy, and thry didn't.

I've gotta disagree. There's a difference between Twelve STARTING as not particularly warm or kind, and where the character ended up. There's a reason the finale (before the Xmas special) has the big emotional climax being him entreating the Masters to be kind. That the special has the regeneration be preceded by him telling his next self to 'always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind'. The whole point of that run is the Doctor coming to terms with what he thinks he is and what he wants to be.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SecretOfSteel posted:

Worth mentioning that Paul McGann is still a handsome bastard.

Eric Roberts ain't half bad either

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I wish we had more multi-Doctor EPs that weren't specials.

I mean, the only one that this isn't true of, really, is the Two Doctors, right? I suppose The Three Doctors but that was explicitly for the tenth, and very much has the feel of a special event.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
While that's certainly his character arc, I don't think the Twelfth Doctor starts out as "unkind" so much as "actively horrible, borderline cruel". The sequence where he harasses the homeless man is, honestly, incredibly unlikable. As is his treatment of that doomed soldier in Into The Dalek -- and those are just the two that have stuck in my memory.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

While that's certainly his character arc, I don't think the Twelfth Doctor starts out as "unkind" so much as "actively horrible, borderline cruel". The sequence where he harasses the homeless man is, honestly, incredibly unlikable. As is his treatment of that doomed soldier in Into The Dalek -- and those are just the two that have stuck in my memory.

Capaldi was definitely written as "the rear end in a top hat Doctor" at first but I think his final season pulled away from that, and not as intentional character growth. It feels more like Moffat getting the response to Capaldi and deciding to tone it down a lot.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah the way he treated that soldier in the Dalek episode was one of the last straws for me too, though I had begun to get really tired of all the meaningless death in the show.

Like looking back on it, the one with 10 and Sarah Jane, they establish that the alien teachers were eating students that didn't have immediate families, and then at the end they eat all the human teachers just because. The Doctor never even seems aware of this, and the resolution is just "yay they blew up the school" with not a care made for the dozens of people who died. Just felt off to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Capaldi was definitely written as "the rear end in a top hat Doctor" at first but I think his final season pulled away from that, and not as intentional character growth. It feels more like Moffat getting the response to Capaldi and deciding to tone it down a lot.

I think it's both. There's a distinct redirection between seasons towards more of a daggy dad midwife crisis characterisation, but his first season does see a slight softening starting from the ending to the mummy story.

He's not so much in the next two stories though, so I don't think the characterisation is quite as pronounced before the finale comes along. But, I dunno, I feel like it's there.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Narsham posted:

It's troubling, because I don't want to be policing people's language ITT or making anyone feel bad or trying to pit one aspect of queerness against another. But after seeing this, I can't unsee it, so I'm offering it to others here as food for thought.

It's pretty good food for thought! But I gotta say I had not perceived this incarnation of the Doctor as asexual and I feel like if we were meant to think so, it might've been more underlined? (I'll admit that most of Chibnall's era hasn't been memorable to me, so I might just have forgotten all of it) but I did think that Yaz's emotions were foregrounded. A person coming to terms that they're not only queer but they're in love with a partially-distant alien felt like a pretty amazing emotional plot for the show and I thought it was barely resolved or adressed. It almost felt like the Yaz stuff in the previous episodes didn't happen (like the Timeless Children stuff!).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Nice group photo of all the old companions!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1586330271141564416?t=OO0E_BEm0yIR2OtYbcjqEA&s=19

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Ah the bane of any group shot - Ian and Jo thought it was a different camera!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Throw that at the top of the OP

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So is Fourteen now technically a Disney Princess?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Probably not, but the Xenomorphs definitely are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, what if a Time Lord got implanted by a facehugger

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Thanks for the discord plug! I keep neglecting the channel (I'm Cloudberry on there), I really ought to do more with it...

I'm extremely torn on the Tennant thing, but I have faith RTD will spin something interesting out of it. And... will he include any audio companions in the 60th?! One can dream...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I SAID A TIME LORD

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I SAID A TIME LORD

Sorry sorry I'm trying to fix it!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJ2rXMuLno&t=90s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry sorry I'm trying to fix it!

that's better

bravo sir i do say brah-VHO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I think this is memory tricking people. The third episode of his first season is the Robin Hood one, which ends with that speech pointing out how the Doctor is basically Robin, a person of privilege moved to action by compassion for others. Even the first episode has that ending with him begging Clara to see him and still be his friend. And the finale of that season has the opening with the lava and the TARDIS keys. The following season starts with the Davros 2 parter, which boils down to the Doctor being willing to save even his worst enemy because he believes in compassion, kindness and mercy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Even the first episode has that ending with him begging Clara to see him and still be his friend.

That scene's towards the start of the episode, and it (the scene) ends with Clara saying that she doesn't know if he's good or not.

At the end of the episode she, unprompted, says she still doesn't know the answer to the Doctor's question, but she says she believes he'll try to be one anyway.

Gaz-L posted:

The third episode of his first season is the Robin Hood one, which ends with that speech pointing out how the Doctor is basically Robin, a person of privilege moved to action by compassion for others.

During which both the Doctor and Robin explicitly reject the idea that they're heroes, and instead assert that they're trying to be good despite an essential arseholishness.

My point being, the question of the Doctor's morality is very much in doubt throughout the season.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Twelfth Doctor's theme is literally called "Am I A Good Man?"

Compare that to Eleven's "I Am The Doctor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
He might believe in kindness, compassion and mercy, but he still acts like an abusive rear end in a top hat to people for no reason. That to me was the offputting thing about Twelve - he's a bully, insulting and belittling even people who've done nothing wrong and are on his side simply because he thinks they're beneath him intellectually. If someone had punched him in the face after he gave them poo poo, he would have deserved it.