Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That season generally has some hosed up morality going on. Remember how Danny did a war crime and the way the show treated it like it was his tragedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Payndz posted:

He might believe in kindness, compassion and mercy, but he still acts like an abusive rear end in a top hat to people for no reason.it.

it was almost always to humans and let's be fair, we deserve it.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
12 had a very clear emotional arc throughout his series about him mellowing over time. Him going from 'Am I a good man?' to his 'Kindness is always right' speech at the end was a fantastic journey, but it did mean you basically got a season of him at the start being very explicitly written as Malcolm Tucker. And if the Doctor being this fun handsome space man making Wibbly Wobbly jokes in a fez is what you enjoy out of Who, that first season was really not written for you at all.

I get why people bounce off 12, even if I think divorced from the rest of the show his years were the strongest the show has ever been both in terms of writing and performance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked the 2 season arc of 12 and Clara's relationship see-sawing from one extreme to the other in terms of Clara going from disgusted with him to identifying TOO much with him and wanting to be like him to her own detriment.... but man I wish we could have had more time with the 12/Bill setup from his last season, it was so loving good.

Also, apropos of nothing: Last Christmas is just a superb episode of Who.

Edit: Oh poo poo, it's ALSO the answer to that earlier question about what would happen if the Doctor got infected by a facehugger! :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

It's pretty good food for thought! But I gotta say I had not perceived this incarnation of the Doctor as asexual and I feel like if we were meant to think so, it might've been more underlined? (I'll admit that most of Chibnall's era hasn't been memorable to me, so I might just have forgotten all of it) but I did think that Yaz's emotions were foregrounded. A person coming to terms that they're not only queer but they're in love with a partially-distant alien felt like a pretty amazing emotional plot for the show and I thought it was barely resolved or adressed. It almost felt like the Yaz stuff in the previous episodes didn't happen (like the Timeless Children stuff!).

I hadn't really seen any moments suggesting Thirteen wasn't asexual? One in The Aztecs definitely has something going on; Two is an open question for me; Three may present as "manly" but seems generally disinterested in other people in terms of attraction; Four and Romana were definitely an item; Five seems like he'd just be confused; Six seems too self-obsessed to find anyone else attractive; Seven just doesn't engage with that aspect at all; Eight probably isn't asexual, and not just on the strength of that kiss.

In the new series, Nine hints at it but despite clearly falling for Rose I don't really see any hints that there's a physical element for me, even if he does dance; Ten is possibly the most sexual the Doctor has ever been; Eleven is a solid maybe; Twelve doesn't think of Clara in that way, but he absolutely does think of River that way; Thirteen, at least to my memory, is another "doesn't really engage with this aspect of life" character.

As for Yaz, she was massively underserved across the whole series, and this definitely fits into that larger problem. Eve of the Daleks made an attempt but I just don't think Chibnall has the ability to pull something like this off successfully. OTOH, the show can definitely support these kinds of conversations and I feel like Chibnall foregrounded them in a way that wasn't weirdly heterosexist (what was RTD thinking in series 2? I suppose representation has progressed a lot over the past 15 years, but still). I just can't tell how much he'd be surprised at hearing that he did.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Calpadi basically got the arc Colin Baker wanted on TV.

I don't think the Doctor should have any romantic interest in companions. It's a massive power imbalance - a centuries old super scientist alien vs some random human isn't an equal partnership, especially since most companions tend to be young and lack life experience. It shouldn't go any further than platonic, or be one sided, with the Doctor not being interested.

plus as we all know, Time Lords procreate through LOOMS :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

:hfive:

From the previous thread:

Crapilicious posted:

I'm partial to a Chessmaster Doctor style myself. Dunno if they'll bring that back.

I'm hoping after seeing Sylvester in action that RTD brings back 8 in a limited series set during the Time War when the Doctor was mostly on the sidelines, "helping where I can" and he brings back 7 as a recurring character, dropping in now and then before the TV movie and advising his future self and setting up quests or whatever. That would OWN.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of 7, I was reminded recently of Sylvester (I think) telling a story about meeting Peter Jackson ahead of being cast as Radagast. Jackson said he wanted to show him something and then brought out Sylvester's costume from his days on Doctor Who. Sylvester very politely remarked that it was a good copy of his outfit. Peter explained very sincerely that no, it wasn't a good copy, it WAS his actual outfit :shepspends:.

That must have been surreal - Academy Award winning Director of one of the biggest/most successful movie series of all time being a gigantic fanboy of the 3 (not altogether well-received) years you spent in a role in the previous century.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Hobbit trilogy probably stopped Jackson directing his Who episode he wanted to. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

The Hobbit trilogy probably stopped Jackson directing his Who episode he wanted to. :(

There's still time

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OldMemes posted:

Calpadi basically got the arc Colin Baker wanted on TV.

I don't think the Doctor should have any romantic interest in companions. It's a massive power imbalance - a centuries old super scientist alien vs some random human isn't an equal partnership, especially since most companions tend to be young and lack life experience. It shouldn't go any further than platonic, or be one sided, with the Doctor not being interested.

This is where I'm at. Romana's fine, since they're both Time Lords, and River's probably alright since she's basically the same dynamic as the Doctor. But any companion is kind of icky.

However, since that ship has sailed, let Thirteen and Yaz kiss!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress, I forgot they even did a video of Peter Capaldi at Jackson's house(?) to announce they were going to do it. :smith:

Though if I remember right, Jackson was also trolling by having a copy of The Silmarillion on his table in that video :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/_PigginTeaBreak/status/1586097933577248768

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SiKboy posted:

I will say I found The Unicorn and The Wasp to be really disappointing, but I'd need to rewatch it to remember if its because its actually bad or if its just a bit meh and I didnt like it.

The thing about The Unicorn and the Wasp is that the script is entirely based on shoehorning the titles of as many Agatha Christie books as possible into the dialogue. If you know enough Christie to look out for that, it's a real fun time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's also got that excellent "Ginger beer! GINGER BEER!" joke, and the hilarious villain breakdown towards the end.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

fractalairduct posted:

The thing about The Unicorn and the Wasp is that the script is entirely based on shoehorning the titles of as many Agatha Christie books as possible into the dialogue. If you know enough Christie to look out for that, it's a real fun time.

If Chibnall was showrunner, he would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference to the original title of And Then There Were None in the final script.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

If Chibnall was showrunner, he would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference to the original title of And Then There Were None in the final script.

As evidenced by the fact that when he became showrunner the show was suddenly wall to wall slurs, and I just missed them? Like the dudes a bad writer and an awful showrunner, we dont need to pretend that he would have jumped at the chance to be overtly racist to make that point.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Most of the scripts of Chibbers' tenure should've done with actual script editing, and whilst Chibnall probably wouldn't have written the hard-r into the script, Gareth Roberts definitely would have.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey guys heads up Gareth Roberts wanted to be part of 9/11 but he couldn't because he slept in.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey guys heads up Gareth Roberts wanted to be part of 9/11 but he couldn't because he slept in.
What, like Peter O'hanraha-hanranan?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TinTower posted:

This is a weird accusation because I've read The Writer's Tale and I know for a fact that actually, yes, DAVIES' original script for Unicorn and the Wasp DID have a """joke"" where Donna was going to say "Ten Little- " and the Doctor would interrupt her with the phrase "niggles aside".

Wisely cut.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 30, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

Most of the scripts of Chibbers' tenure should've done with actual script editing, and whilst Chibnall probably wouldn't have written the hard-r into the script, Gareth Roberts definitely would have.

Even when backtracking from "would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference" himself to "wouldnt have spotted someone else doing it you still say "probably" to kind of insinuate that maybe he would have dropped the n-bomb in a doctor who script. So again, I'm flat out asking you; Is there any evidence, any discourse, any anything to imply that Chibnell is a racist? Its surely not just "I dont like his creative output therefore he must be a Bad Man who does all the Bad Things and has the Bad Opinions"? Because his creative output is real bad, but that doesnt make him a bad human being, just a bad writer/showrunner.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Even when backtracking from "would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference" himself to "wouldnt have spotted someone else doing it you still say "probably" to kind of insinuate that maybe he would have dropped the n-bomb in a doctor who script. So again, I'm flat out asking you; Is there any evidence, any discourse, any anything to imply that Chibnell is a racist? Its surely not just "I dont like his creative output therefore he must be a Bad Man who does all the Bad Things and has the Bad Opinions"? Because his creative output is real bad, but that doesnt make him a bad human being, just a bad writer/showrunner.

Goons can't help but find the racist in the woodpile. :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This really feels like 2010 again with a big US media blitz about Doctor Who. Gatwa doing morning TV as part of the Disney+ announcement, a bunch of YouTube/Tiktok videos explaining what the show/The Doctor is about.

Especially interesting to be promoting this all a year out. Although, there's been some rumblings about [something] happening at Christmas, if that's valid or not. Would make more sense the way they're pushing this at the moment.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

This is a weird accusation because I've read The Writer's Tale and I know for a fact that actually, yes, DAVIES' original script for Unicorn and the Wasp DID have a """joke"" where Donna was going to say "Ten Little- " and the Doctor would interrupt her with the phrase "niggles aside".

Wisely cut.

christ almighty

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The BBC's press release is saying that Ncuti's Doctor will premiere on the "festive season" next year. Is that just a regeneration, or his first episode? Either way, I'm sure we won't be waiting until November for Tennant's re-debut.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3aT4CcgRq0

I'm gonna be honest, Tom Baker Fall Guy is very charming, that outfit somehow fits the bean proportions perfectly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What’s weird is they include a sonic screwdriver animation (complete with banging it) but no sonic?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Hi there. I know that I've been posting some queer things lately about claiming to be the Doctor and Nazis in America but as anyone familiar with Bible Code and Torah Code and the prophecies contained within will recognize the significance of this grid image. It shows the words THEDOCTOR encoded in a grid with the words SONTARAN and DALEK enclosed within. Anyone who knows about skip code cryptography can tell you that this had to have been encoded in the original document by the original author which is why I'm not just confirming that I'm Banksy, I'm confirming that I wrote the Good Book Herself. Pretty neat, huh?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kEYOnw66cYRpuHycvSZUVvhGfFNvwFZ/view?usp=drivesdk

I understand that this is going to generate a lot of questions given the stuff that I've been posting but that's important you ask because Earth is in grave danger. It's been a year since the Flux hit here but decades for me, there are armies of monsters roaming the world and hunting in secret as sanctioned by the same Alliance that trapped me in the Pandorica all the way back when.

You just need to check Amazon for books on Bible Code to know that it's valid enough for so many people to look to for information about their future because it is literally prophecy. I hope this is enough for you to look for yourselves and do the digging to make yourself sure. I'll be here for questions or posting as tapesfromthefuture on Reddit.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dude are you okay

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Emerson Cod posted:

Hi there. I know that I've been posting some queer things lately about claiming to be the Doctor and Nazis in America but as anyone familiar with Bible Code and Torah Code and the prophecies contained within will recognize the significance of this grid image. It shows the words THEDOCTOR encoded in a grid with the words SONTARAN and DALEK enclosed within. Anyone who knows about skip code cryptography can tell you that this had to have been encoded in the original document by the original author which is why I'm not just confirming that I'm Banksy, I'm confirming that I wrote the Good Book Herself. Pretty neat, huh?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kEYOnw66cYRpuHycvSZUVvhGfFNvwFZ/view?usp=drivesdk

I understand that this is going to generate a lot of questions given the stuff that I've been posting but that's important you ask because Earth is in grave danger. It's been a year since the Flux hit here but decades for me, there are armies of monsters roaming the world and hunting in secret as sanctioned by the same Alliance that trapped me in the Pandorica all the way back when.

You just need to check Amazon for books on Bible Code to know that it's valid enough for so many people to look to for information about their future because it is literally prophecy. I hope this is enough for you to look for yourselves and do the digging to make yourself sure. I'll be here for questions or posting as tapesfromthefuture on Reddit.

Thats real interesting, but how sure are you that its not a message to pass on to your actual physician doctor? Maybe give them a call just in case, couldnt hurt to be sure.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Show a Bible Code grid stating the existence of The Doctor, the Sontarans, and the Daleks and you will blow their mind. Look up even a few of the grids out there and recognize that kind of data can't be decoded unless it already exists in the source material.

Here's my blog: https://www.tapesfromthefuture.us/blog/ws34uux4cla6lao7fwtyrzi8yfbd0f

For many examples including two very clear ones regarding the World Trade Center and JFK look here: https://www.research-systems.com/codes/nt_codes.htm

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thinking you need to see an actual Doctor, mate

Take your meds

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Emerson Cod posted:

I'll be here for questions or posting as tapesfromthefuture on Reddit.

seems doubtful https://www.reddit.com/r/TapesFromTheFuture/

also is this a "stared into the abyss too long" thing or a "gave my account away for a laugh" thing:
1: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971239&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515638101
2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971239&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515638252

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Emerson Cod posted:

Hi there. I know that I've been posting some queer things lately about claiming to be the Doctor and Nazis in America but as anyone familiar with Bible Code and Torah Code and the prophecies contained within will recognize the significance of this grid image. It shows the words THEDOCTOR encoded in a grid with the words SONTARAN

Is this a bit? Legitimately worried about you. Please get help.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 31, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i was kind of leaning into a spiral of sadness but yours looks far more interesting. please continue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And to think, I thought the weirdest thing I was going to see today was Big Finish putting up an announcement telling overseas buyers they didn't want them buying audios from them anymore!

If this is a bit it's very sad, if it's not a bit, then please go and see an actual real, honest-to-goodness doctor and get help.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

And to think, I thought the weirdest thing I was going to see today was Big Finish putting up an announcement telling overseas buyers they didn't want them buying audios from them anymore!

Eh, this isn't so bad. They're basically implementing proper exchange rates for their pricing instead of doing the lazy option and changing the symbol. Given circumstances I can't blame them even if it's about a 10% price increase.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Eh, this isn't so bad. They're basically implementing proper exchange rates for their pricing instead of doing the lazy option and changing the symbol. Given circumstances I can't blame them even if it's about a 10% price increase.

It's significantly more than that for me, and I know I'm only one person.... but I matter to me! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

It's significantly more than that for me, and I know I'm only one person.... but I matter to me! :smith:

It's definitely going to limit the amount of big finish I can purchase per year. On top of everything getting more expensive it was only a matter of time and it's completely understandable but yeah....