Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Okay was not expecting Aubrey’s husband to have chiseled abs like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Nuts and Gum posted:

More than that, dude is verging on body-builder territory. But it's tv so.

By the time I finish work and my 3 hour gym session, I'm just fried...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PantsBandit posted:

More than that, dude is verging on body-builder territory. But it's tv so.

By the time I finish work and my 3 hour gym session, I'm just fried...

And yet he’s supposed to be some quirky introverted programmer lolol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah it's silly but I don't fault it. White Lotus is the land of weirdly hot people acting like total monsters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like the music this season is even more Cristobal Tapia de Veer than last season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuts and Gum posted:

Getting ripped is a point of dumb pride among rich people, even rich nerds

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Even non-rich (however many quotes you want to put around it) programmers have more than their fair share of gym rats too, there's overlap in the appeal. Weird post.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Even non-rich (however many quotes you want to put around it) programmers have more than their fair share of gym rats too, there's overlap in the appeal. Weird post.

I think it's less that he's a programmer specifically and more that his "friend" is constantly treating him like he's a slime-man who's never seen a sports-ball. Meanwhile Mr. Meek Programmer is eating 6 meals a day to maintain his body mass.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how plaza seems to have taken a bet to be the most awful person

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I think it's less that he's a programmer specifically and more that his "friend" is constantly treating him like he's a slime-man who's never seen a sports-ball. Meanwhile Mr. Meek Programmer is eating 6 meals a day to maintain his body mass.

TV has always been so bad about this where every "nerd" character who everyone pretends couldn't ever get a woman and plays Warcraft 20 hours a day also has a full 8 pack and perfect skin.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting strong "Nice Guy" stereotype vibes from the Sicilian Grandkid. He dropped every clue and red flag except his reddit username. He's definitely going to become Tanya's assistant's nightmare.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

LifeLynx posted:

I'm getting strong "Nice Guy" stereotype vibes from the Sicilian Grandkid. He dropped every clue and red flag except his reddit username. He's definitely going to become Tanya's assistant's nightmare.

That line about being attracted to "wounded birds" was :stare:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

precision posted:

Getting ripped is a point of dumb pride among rich people, even rich nerds

That’s fair, but that dudes body is absurd. Like hire the trainer from the movie 300 absurd.

No I’m not jealous that’s not at all why I brought it up!!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jen Coolidge and Aubrey Plaza are competing to be the most dreadful person in this series and it's amazing.

Also, Theo James is going to sleep with one of Christufuh's Sicilian working girls. Mark it.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
Aubrey Plaza’s character seems to have been right about the other couple in every way. And to me, retroactively makes her iciness make sense. Like, finance bro has dark triad traits in spades.

Also, lol @ leaning into Italian man stereotypes

Broadlybrowsing fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 14, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Aubrey Plaza’s character is both an rear end in a top hat and also completely right. That’s been obvious since the beginning.

Although, I did like that Daphne is not quite the brainless rich housewife that Harper thought she was. Other than that she’s been totally right about everything, it’s just that she’s also extremely obvious about being really judgmental and surprised that the other people know she’s doing it.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 14, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Albie and Portia scenes are physically hard to watch.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Albie is going to be radicalized so easily.

Valentina still rules. The scene of her eating her red lunch out of plasticware while feeding two stray kittens was a nice moment.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

Jen Coolidge and Aubrey Plaza are competing to be the most dreadful person in this series and it's amazing.

Also, Theo James is going to sleep with one of Christufuh's Sicilian working girls. Mark it.

Well Harper was totally right about Cameron and Daphne. I did love Daphne and Harper's day at Noto, that staring scene was really unsettling.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm predicting that when Portia shacks up with some dude that's not Albie, Albie will dime on her to her boss information that she violated her NDA

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

This show makes me ask an age-old question to myself about every ten minutes. "Why do people get married, again?"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Watched S1 the other day and I just watched ep2 of S2 right now.

After ep1 of s1 i wasn't sure if I was going to continue cos jesus christ I hated them all, and the cringe tension, but I pushed through out of morbid curiosity and ended up enjoying it. The only character who I still despised at the end was Olivia, the daughter, who I don't think had a single line I didn't hate. Everyone else was either funny or mopey enough that I enjoyed them. I know the point is to portray these characters who are a mix of oblivious, selfish and cruel, but some character are just gonna set you off. Steve Zahn was so funny.

So far S2 is alot easier to watch, and the characters don't seem as immediately despicable, which is a change. The two main couples - I kind of disliked Aubrey Plaza at first (whoever she plays, she's just Aubrey Plaza I can't remember her character name), but she's getting rounded out. The oblivious couple I expect a lot of people will hate but their relationship actually seems excellent, and their attitude to just not reading the news isn't actually as stupid as Aubrey thinks it is. None of them have things quite right but I think Aubrey may be the least right in this situation.

But, they'll probably reveal themselves to be worse. Like Albie - I thought he was actually just a nice guy but uh oh he seems to be a nice guy. It is very nice to have Micheal Imperioli on the show. I don't really care for F Murray Abraham's character so far, old man who says inappropriate things.

But on the whole I don't really hate any of them. They're all watchable. The new manager is funny but she hasn't gotten much yet.

I miss Armand. He was main character material, could have been the thing that recurred. In fact I would've been happy to stay on Hawaii, but then I've never really understood the fascination with Italy. It's a bit of a bummer to me, for some reason.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, I liked how Harper was looking down on them for not reading the news yet she's doomscrolling so much she needs ambien to sleep.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

roomtone posted:

The oblivious couple I expect a lot of people will hate but their relationship actually seems excellent

Watch the latest episode and then report back on this!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Read After Burning posted:

Watch the latest episode and then report back on this!

yeah that curtain fell down pretty hard. not that i wasn't expecting it, like i said they were all weirdly undespicable at first. seems like they're taking a different approach this season where the rot is peeled back over the season rather than immediately upfront.

although i dunno, maybe i find the reveal that cameron and daphne actually lie and mess with each other all the time, and cameron is a serial cheater a bit trite. even cameron actually trying to weasel into ethan's business like harper predicted. like it's what you expect immediately and i was kind of into the idea that yeah they might be a bit ignorant, but are actually solid internally. would have been a fresh angle on this kind of thing.

only episode 3 though so we'll see how it goes.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 15, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Anybody here know Italian? I'm curious if the fortune teller gives any foreshadowing/spoilers...

roomtone posted:

Although i dunno, maybe i find the reveal that cameron and daphne actually lie and mess with each other all the time, and cameron is a serial cheater a bit trite.....like it's what you expect immediately and i was kind of into the idea that yeah they might be a bit ignorant, but are actually solid internally. would have been a fresh angle on this kind of thing.

For what it's worth, I agree with ya on that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think Cameron’s like Shane from the first season where they are exactly the kind of person they appear to be. No real hidden depths there. I don’t mind, a lot of people are like that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

While skimming the cast list to refresh myself on the character names, I saw mention of a couple of British guests at the resort. We haven't met these folks yet, correct?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

While skimming the cast list to refresh myself on the character names, I saw mention of a couple of British guests at the resort. We haven't met these folks yet, correct?

at least one of them is the guy tanya was making eyes at this ep

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lmao that whole fortune teller scene.

Negative!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How gay is Cameron gonna go to get Ethan's money? He clearly already knows how to put the pressure on the guy, as soon as Harper's out of the picture it's all "baby", "honey" and then the kisses. Ethan looked the happiest he's been so far when squeezed into the dude's arms with the two other chicks.

Who are dead af IMO. Though White's framing of Portia up against the replica car was maybe trying to get us to think she'd explode, I think this season's ultimately going to come down hardest on the most "disposable" people in the regular cast, like how last season it came down hard on Armand.

I continue to love Valentina. Her getting flustered when one of the concierges gave her a compliment. Very cute. Also feeding the cats. She's got a soft side, she just stamps it down. I wonder if her antics with the two sex workers are partially out of some worry for the women, as much as anything else. She does like her strays.

Team Harper. She's rude, but gently caress decorum, she didn't want to be here and she's basically right. Nice to see her bond a bit and actually begin to unwind, let her guard down. I wonder if it's really just Cameron that brings out the harsher side to her personality, or if her husband is part of the conflict. They're probably better off separated is my vibe.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

at least one of them is the guy tanya was making eyes at this ep

And the other one is the kid Portia was making eyes with. Sensitive nips dude.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

also portia's outburst at breakfast hit me pretty hard. especially the line 'is everything boring?'

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I loved that the old-school fortune teller appeared to be doing her best to deliver what she believed to be an accurate interpretation of the cards and the rest of the situation, but that isn't what the customer was looking for.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is the post that made me realize I'm being satired by this show.

Mid-30s lawyer. All of us are trying to look like that. It's another way for us to compete with one another.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You'll be so much happier once you give up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kuiperdolin posted:

You'll be so much happier once you give up.

The secret is it's not about looks, it's about speed and power so your friends know you're better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

also portia's outburst at breakfast hit me pretty hard. especially the line 'is everything boring?'

I suspect she's more like Tanya than she'd like to admit.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Once Albie said “I refuse to have a bad relationship with women” I figured he was going to have a cringy Nice Guy arc.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
it's so easy to have abs and not look like you're wearing a mccartney wig so i don't know what that dudes problem is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I thought the guy playing Tanyas wife looked familiar but couldn't place where I knew him from so I looked him up on imdb and I've gotta say he doesn't look like he could throw a football over a mountain.